Contractor changed plan for protecting Kauai bones - News

HAENA, Kauai>> Contractors did not follow an approved plan to protect skeletal remains while building a home on Kauai's north shore in August, a state archaeologist said yesterday. Full Story
utiilities

Honolulu, HI

#1 Nov 8, 2008
If any utilities were to be installed beneath the concrete slab, they would have been put in place before the slab was poured. Clearly the plan is to place the utilities above the slab.
Everybody making a mountain out of a mole hill regarding this.
The decendants should have petitioned to have the remains reinterred at a different location, at the property owners expense.
Howdahell

Pearl City, HI

#2 Nov 8, 2008
How can you build a house over a grave?? I know the is guy had all the necessary permits, but the county should have never issued them. Now they are passing the buck and looking for any reason to blame whoever they can to protect their okoles. The contractor Galante has actully took on a contract from HELL. This why most contractors steer clear from custom homes. Its a headache but this one is actually a NIGHTMARE. I predict many lawsuit to follow this for years to come.
pake

Naha, Japan

#3 Nov 8, 2008
I for one who follows both Christian and Taoist beliefs would never build anything for that matter live over graves.
Kapaa

Wahiawa, HI

#4 Nov 8, 2008
utiilities wrote:
If any utilities were to be installed beneath the concrete slab, they would have been put in place before the slab was poured. Clearly the plan is to place the utilities above the slab.
Everybody making a mountain out of a mole hill regarding this.
The decendants should have petitioned to have the remains reinterred at a different location, at the property owners expense.
Do you know how to spell?Its people like you
who do not belong in Hawaii.NO Class,No respect,No Aloha
Kimokeo

AOL

#5 Nov 8, 2008
To you Kauai people, relatives, friends, activists, burial council, Kauai county, State of Hawaii, whoever; This wailing is getting old. Enough already. The owner did everything legally required of him. You want him to stop, you want him out of there, fine. Pay him in full for his expenditures to date and give it a rest. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either he gets to build his house or someone buys him out. Or maybe he ends up suing everybody in sight.
iwi

Hilo, HI

#6 Nov 8, 2008
Such a deal! Proud owner of a graveyard?
John Kamaka

Honolulu, HI

#7 Nov 8, 2008
pake wrote:
I for one who follows both Christian and Taoist beliefs would never build anything for that matter live over graves.
Excellent observation coming from outside Hawaii's region. But what do you expect from ha-oles who have little or no respect for themselves and certainly not for native peoples throughout this world?

Generally speaking, ha-ole's "culture" is the exploitation of others for their own benefit and existence. Look at what they did to the Blacks (slaves), the asians, native American Indians and Hawaiians. This ha-ole businessman is no different then those that came before him, greed self rightiousness is the main focus.
akua lapu

Hilo, HI

#8 Nov 8, 2008
Bad idea. As we all know, it’s not nice to fool Mother Nature.

Since: Oct 08

Kaumakani, HI

#9 Nov 8, 2008
Kimokeo,
This man is no innocent victim. He portrays himself as that but he is merely one of many Californian developer/speculator types that is using this property as pure investment along with his other properties in the same vicinity that are used as "illegal" vacation rentals. Iwi were found on his other developments, so he was well aware of the presence of iwi in this area. He has hired Walter Hong, reviled attorney for big-money developers, to do his dirty work for him. His first contractor walked off the job and now his new contractor pours a cement slab over 7 graves w/out McMahon's knowledge or permission. Like it or not, this situation is a mess and County and State government as well as Brescia himself are responsible. It is the grassroots effort of lineal descendants, area residents and cultural practicioners who have fought for respect of the na iwi kupuna.
MJG

Olympia, WA

#10 Nov 8, 2008
John Kamaka wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent observation coming from outside Hawaii's region. But what do you expect from ha-oles who have little or no respect for themselves and certainly not for native peoples throughout this world?
Generally speaking, ha-ole's "culture" is the exploitation of others for their own benefit and existence. Look at what they did to the Blacks (slaves), the asians, native American Indians and Hawaiians. This ha-ole businessman is no different then those that came before him, greed self rightiousness is the main focus.
I take total exception to this statement. I am a
ha-ole but I totally respect others beliefs as well as their rights. I am not greedy or self rightious. I have spent several wonderful vacations in the lovely islands of Hawaii and I feel I leave them as lovely as I found them. I leave as much money as I can afford there too. Please do not generalize. There are good and bad among every culture. So I would appreciate it very much if you refrained from painting us all as you have. This is not good Aloha!
Kimokeo

AOL

#11 Nov 8, 2008
Kawahineomano wrote:
Kimokeo,
This man is no innocent victim. He portrays himself as that but he is merely one of many Californian developer/speculator types that is using this property as pure investment along with his other properties in the same vicinity that are used as "illegal" vacation rentals. Iwi were found on his other developments, so he was well aware of the presence of iwi in this area. He has hired Walter Hong, reviled attorney for big-money developers, to do his dirty work for him. His first contractor walked off the job and now his new contractor pours a cement slab over 7 graves w/out McMahon's knowledge or permission. Like it or not, this situation is a mess and County and State government as well as Brescia himself are responsible. It is the grassroots effort of lineal descendants, area residents and cultural practicioners who have fought for respect of the na iwi kupuna.
Kawahineomano, you raise several points that I was not aware of. But like him or not (and he may indeed be a rotten buggah) the owner was issued a permit and jumped through all the hoops required, and it seems to me that he should either be allowed to build his home in some manner acceptable to all, or be compensated for it. Who would compensate him is perhaps going to be a matter for the courts. Speculation, if that is what he is engaged in, may be a dirty word, but it is legal. What do you think would be a rational, reasonable solution? It seems to me that it is time for all directly involved (family, Burial Council, County, State, owner) to sit down, stop blaming each other, and work out an equitable solution if this is possible. Time for hooponopono. Anyway, I hope it works out. Aloha, Kimokeo.
Alex

Tustin, CA

#12 Nov 8, 2008
After knowing that your home is going to be built over an ancient burial ground, why would you continue to have your home built? Creepy. The owners are just asking for a “haunted house”. Maybe they will end up on an episode of “Ghost Hunters’. LOL.
kls

Honolulu, HI

#13 Nov 8, 2008
John Kamaka wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent observation coming from outside Hawaii's region. But what do you expect from ha-oles who have little or no respect for themselves and certainly not for native peoples throughout this world?
Generally speaking, ha-ole's "culture" is the exploitation of others for their own benefit and existence. Look at what they did to the Blacks (slaves), the asians, native American Indians and Hawaiians. This ha-ole businessman is no different then those that came before him, greed self rightiousness is the main focus.
if you really respected your so-called culture, the beaches wouldn't be polluted, the parks over run with tarps, the area filled with pit bulls,pick ups and green beer bottles...two sides to every story

Since: Mar 08

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Nov 8, 2008
The details still seem confusing.
One thing for sure, all parties knew that
the situation was a powder keg. Why wouldn't
anyone want to step cautiously and respectfully?
I'm baffled.This is the age of instant communication
(cell, fax or internet)...no excuse for
communication breakdown. Sad situation.
tama2cool2

Mililani, HI

#15 Nov 8, 2008
money or no money...law or no law...respect is respect..i would never go into someone else's house and act stupid...simple..if there are graves to be protected...then get the damn house built somewhere else...or go home...this is hawaii...some "rules" are not written..learn b4 you build...
Kuleana

Waipahu, HI

#16 Nov 9, 2008
Nancy McMahon, archaeologist and the former interim director of the state Historic Preservation Division...
"Any changes to the plan, however, should have been approved by McMahon. Plus, work should have been halted, probably for two weeks, to give her a chance to review an amended treatment plan, she said.
"It would've been fine if they called me," she added. "If they told me, I might have approved it."
HUUUUUUHH??!!!
Y IS SHE STILL MAKING DECISIONS in behalf of the STATE??!!!
Y IS SHE STILL ANY PART OF THIS PROCESS??!!
Wasn't SHE the reason for this MESS IN THE FIRST PLACE with the same attitude, bypassing procedural protocols??!!
"Nani Rogers, one of dozens of protesters over the past few months at the site, said..."We've been deceived. We've been duped. We've been lied to," Rogers said. "We said reject (the plan) from the beginning. This was not a good burial plan."
KULEANA!
IF this State can't protect their historical kuleana to the aboriginal people, Kanaka Maoli, then they, as TRUSTEES to the assets of the Kanaka Maoli, INCLUDING their wahipana (sacred sites), iwi kupuna, bones, etc., then they have FAILED at their legal kuleana.
Y IS DAT??!!
HelloWorld

Wahiawa, HI

#17 Nov 9, 2008
John Kamaka wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent observation coming from outside Hawaii's region. But what do you expect from ha-oles who have little or no respect for themselves and certainly not for native peoples throughout this world?
Generally speaking, ha-ole's "culture" is the exploitation of others for their own benefit and existence. Look at what they did to the Blacks (slaves), the asians, native American Indians and Hawaiians. This ha-ole businessman is no different then those that came before him, greed self rightiousness is the main focus.
Excuse me? One of the most exploitative episodes in Hawaiian history involved the royals forcing the entire population into virtual slavery to strip every last stick of sandalwood from the land to sell for outrageous profits mainly to China but elsewhere as well. Men, women, and children were assigned quotas to meet and had to labor throughout the hottest part of the day to meet the amount demanded of them. Your self righteousness ranting against haoles looks suspect when reality is investigated and we learn that Hawaiians are guilty of exploitation as well.

Since: Oct 08

Kaumakani, HI

#18 Nov 10, 2008
Of all the travesties that occurred in Hawaiian history you come up with the sandalwood trade? Prior to 1778, the Hawaiian population exceeded hundreds of thousands and the notion of private property and capital was unheard of. The genocide of our people from disease and the introduction of capitalism by American missionaries quickly became the demise of the kanaka. Alii were making decisions in unchartered territory and haole took advantage of that. Alii were incurring debt and pressure to pay that debt is what led to the unfortunate circumstances that fell upon the maka'ainana who were forced to labor in the forests, away from the their lo'i kalo. Before the disenfranchisement of kanaka from the land, there was no need for money, no need for credit and no need to amass material wealth. The marginalization of kanaka maoli in their native land is the real travesty here.
Rubba Slippa Man

AOL

#19 Nov 10, 2008
The contractor should be heavily fined ($50,000) and banned from doing work in the state forever!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kapaa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kauai Water Department wins approval of explora... (Oct '12) Jan '15 jax23willis 3
Kapaa Music Thread (Apr '12) Nov '14 Musikologist 15
New record temperatures set at Lihue, Honolulu ... Oct '14 Joe Balls 1
Food bank delivers to a community in need Sep '14 Katy Means 1
A new lava flow begins as another ends (Jul '14) Jul '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
Walgreens seeks to open store in Nanakuli - Bus... (Sep '08) Jun '14 tommy 52
Father Gets Probation for Making Son Walk 1 Mile (May '14) Jun '14 Warren Jones 2
Kapaa Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Kapaa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:28 pm PST

NBC Sports 8:28PM
Reports: Ted Ginn visiting Titans, 49ers
Bleacher Report 9:06 PM
Raiders' Blueprint for Winning Free Agency
Bleacher Report 9:17 PM
49ers' Pre-Free Agency Draft Big Board
Bleacher Report 9:26 PM
Why Patton Faces Make or Break Year in 2015
Bleacher Report 1:21 AM
Why Jaelen Strong Should Be the San Francisco 49ers' Ultimate NFL Draft Target