Kauai condo owners allege fleecing

Kauai condo owners allege fleecing

There are 68 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Aug 18, 2008, titled Kauai condo owners allege fleecing. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

TOM FINNEGAN / [email protected] Waipouli Beach Resort, a new development in Kapaa, has been the source of an investigation that has pitted homeowners against one another as they tried to figure out ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
NoBStupid

Honolulu, HI

#61 Aug 20, 2008
Typical Monday non-news story, editors had nothing to REPORT (and even less to do, save try and do nothing - they sure aren't lookin for news. Since when does the HEADLINE story depend on ALLEGATIONS. And as far as BIG NEWS, $2.2 mill is not a big number, given that there's 200 rooms and the whole thing cost more than 300 times that, and the revenues were more than 500 times that. Silly. Manini.
Fleeced

La Crescenta, CA

#63 Aug 22, 2008
News stories generally start with Allegations. From Watergate, to Monica, reporters are there before judges and juries.

Often, the news is what starts the process that leads to judges and juries
jJohn Stiles

Walnut Creek, CA

#64 Aug 24, 2008
Singleton is a crook
he should be in jail.
any other county/state would
protect the citizens
shame on Hawaii for allowing corruption to exist
JustTheFacts

Koloa, HI

#65 Aug 29, 2008
The reporter failed to gather the facts. The fees did not go down as a result of an audit but rather due to reductions in both property insurance rates and a new landscaping contract. Additionally, the $2.2M is a number in question not an amount due from the developer. The number in question is practically the entire budget for the current year. The former board member who was interviewed is the main culprit responsible for spending and tying up homeowners maintenance fees in accountant and attorney's fees. Probably over $100k now. He was responsible for having the entire budget questioned rather than focusing on certain issues within the expenses. For instance, the full year electricty amount of $600k is part of the $2.2M. I guess the former board member thinks the resort runs without any electricity and the developer should paid the entire bill!
NoBStupid

Honolulu, HI

#66 Aug 30, 2008
dear low profile,
the hawaiians that protested did so outside the law. they also were extorsionists. they also have a low opinion of haoles, like yourself, and would be happy to see your okole as you sail off into another adventure. the public officials that came to the celebration were celebrating a higher tax base, which you as an owner are contributing...i'd say happily contributing, but i get a sense you are a sourpuss who pisses all over others. btw, i am hawaiian. and an owner.
Waipouli owner wrote:
Chris Singleton bragged at his bar @ Waipouli that he charged the association owners for furnishing. On the initial public report the fees were $850.00 for a one bedroom. At the ground breaking and at the numerous parties the Singletons threw I saw a numbers of elected and ex officials of our government ie Hooser, Babiste just to name a few.
When the Hawaiian's protested building on burial grounds and blocked the construction entrance SWAT was called and put and end to the protest. Singelton have juice,money and who knows what else.
Signed
low profile
NoBStupid

Honolulu, HI

#67 Aug 30, 2008
jJohn Stiles wrote:
Singleton is a crook
he should be in jail.
any other county/state would
protect the citizens
shame on Hawaii for allowing corruption to exist
gee, john, you have a good idea of what happens. and who lets it happen. why don't you go live where it doesn't happen. make yourself happy. then you wouldn't have to run around judging others. a perfect being such as you will surely be happier in utopia.
NoBStupid

Honolulu, HI

#68 Aug 30, 2008
i disagree. the story failed to report the facts, the reporter decided to ignore them OTHERWISE THERE'S NO STORY. And his EDITOR ought to take note of how this guy twisted the facts.

Of course, the Editor decided to run the story on the front page, so his judgement is obviously one which would prefer a good story over the facts.

As for a retraction, or clarification, or a follow on story, no such luck - the paper, the reporter, trashed the rep of the resort, the board and the developer. All in pursuit of selling papers.

Out of curiosity, how much of the Grove Farm lawsuit has gotten into this paper?
JustTheFacts wrote:
The reporter failed to gather the facts. The fees did not go down as a result of an audit but rather due to reductions in both property insurance rates and a new landscaping contract. Additionally, the $2.2M is a number in question not an amount due from the developer. The number in question is practically the entire budget for the current year. The former board member who was interviewed is the main culprit responsible for spending and tying up homeowners maintenance fees in accountant and attorney's fees. Probably over $100k now. He was responsible for having the entire budget questioned rather than focusing on certain issues within the expenses. For instance, the full year electricty amount of $600k is part of the $2.2M. I guess the former board member thinks the resort runs without any electricity and the developer should paid the entire bill!
NoBStupid

Honolulu, HI

#69 Aug 30, 2008
The reason I wonder about Grove Farm is that there's a dissadent shareholder who'd be happy to quote chapter and verse all the sins of that board of directors and their insider trading. His name is Mike Sheehan, I'm sure you can approach him, Tom Finnagin, and use this model of sensational journalism to cook up another sensational real estate story, rife with corruption, thievery, etc. And, interestingly, you can ignore the facts of the issues and trash the other side. Who, surprise, would include a member of the board of the star bullitin. But, hey, you have integrity. You're independent. Sos your editors. They are independent AND intelligent. Although letting you, the local stringer with little understanding of real estate get the front page story doesn't look too intelligent. There's a bunch of mistakes, as you can see if you try read the intelligent comments in this blog.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kapaa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
seeking a partner Apr '17 Jerry 1
Kapaa Music Thread (Apr '12) Apr '17 Musikologist 18
Join a focus group on Kaua'i transportation on ... Feb '17 kauaifocusgroup 1
Anyone know alexandria tangalin / gregg Jan '17 Xotto 1
Do you know Alexandria Tangalin(or Gregg) (Sep '11) Jan '17 Troy Morgan 13
News June 27 lava flow comes to an end (Jun '16) Jun '16 Boi Rollins 1
CJ's Restaurant (Jun '16) Jun '16 fhughes 1

Kapaa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance