Huge fish kill off Niihau triggers consumer alert - Hawaii News

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

KAPAA, Kauai>> Officials with the state are investigating a fish kill on the island of Niihau and have warned residents to ask where their fresh fish is coming from.
Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Feb 7, 2009
Reporting

Honolulu, HI

#1 Feb 6, 2009
I hope they find the cause. I also hope that it is not bleach fishing.
Fisherman

Ewa Beach, HI

#2 Feb 6, 2009
Not good if the poisonous 'red tide' organisms have mutated.
News Alert

Kapolei, HI

#3 Feb 6, 2009
Clearly the rampant industrialism of Niihau is to blame.
Anonymous

Kapaa, HI

#4 Feb 6, 2009
Reporting wrote:
I hope they find the cause. I also hope that it is not bleach fishing.
That's exactly what I thought as well.
Hapa_Haole_Boy

Wailuku, HI

#5 Feb 6, 2009
Malama o ka aina please people.

Yes, bleaching and red tide are both hopefully not to blame.

if anyone's read the Economist recently, they produced a fantastic, in-depth series of articles on the oceans of the world, great read, but so, so sad. A few incredible points I recall to this day:

-In many places 95%+ of the biomass of the ocean has been depleted.

-Red Tide has been mutating and becoming increasingly, devastatingly prevalent in many ocean areas.

-Two massive, swirling masses of plastic--larger than the size of the mainland US (yes, that big)-- float in the middle of the Pacific, growing bigger and bigger, and snagging fish and sealife by the second.

-Cod has been wiped out of the North Atlantic, and are increasingly being fished out of existence thru the rest of the Atlantic.

-Several species of tuna (bluefin I believe is one) off of Western Europe and in the Mediterranean are on the bring of extinction due to overfishing.

I highly recommend the read to any fish or nature lover, anyone interested in the upkeep of our world. And note-- I'm not even an environmentalist, sierra clubber myself. Just a local boy very much concerned about our home and world. economist.com

It's not just a tree-hugger's empty rallying cry anymore, it's now a very grave problem.
Fisherman

Ewa Beach, HI

#6 Feb 7, 2009
Hapa_Haole_Boy wrote:
Malama o ka aina please people.
Yes, bleaching and red tide are both hopefully not to blame.
if anyone's read the Economist recently, they produced a fantastic, in-depth series of articles on the oceans of the world, great read, but so, so sad. A few incredible points I recall to this day:
-In many places 95%+ of the biomass of the ocean has been depleted.
-Red Tide has been mutating and becoming increasingly, devastatingly prevalent in many ocean areas.
-Two massive, swirling masses of plastic--larger than the size of the mainland US (yes, that big)-- float in the middle of the Pacific, growing bigger and bigger, and snagging fish and sealife by the second.
-Cod has been wiped out of the North Atlantic, and are increasingly being fished out of existence thru the rest of the Atlantic.
-Several species of tuna (bluefin I believe is one) off of Western Europe and in the Mediterranean are on the bring of extinction due to overfishing.
I highly recommend the read to any fish or nature lover, anyone interested in the upkeep of our world. And note-- I'm not even an environmentalist, sierra clubber myself. Just a local boy very much concerned about our home and world. economist.com
It's not just a tree-hugger's empty rallying cry anymore, it's now a very grave problem.
Well said, its the dirty water!
Stumpy

Kaneohe, HI

#7 Feb 7, 2009
BUSH did it!
Ciguatera

Ewa Beach, HI

#8 Feb 7, 2009
Stumpy wrote:
BUSH did it!
Nah, Mufi.
abdulah fataai

Aiea, HI

#9 Feb 7, 2009
lingle went jump into da watah an' spread her legs!!!
AchmedRidiculous

Lake Charles, LA

#10 Feb 7, 2009
Gad! Wat else were they dumping in the water!
Concerned voter

Kalaheo, HI

#11 Feb 7, 2009
Ciguatera wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, Mufi.
Every time it rains Mufi dumps it in the ocean and he wants a waiver from the EPA. Stop Mufi!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kapaa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kapaa Music Thread (Apr '12) Jul '14 Musikologist 14
A new lava flow begins as another ends Jul '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
Walgreens seeks to open store in Nanakuli - Bus... (Sep '08) Jun '14 tommy 52
Father Gets Probation for Making Son Walk 1 Mile Jun '14 Warren Jones 2
Lava breakouts at Kilauea attract geologists' a... Jun '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
Insurer punished for failing to pay claim - News (Jan '09) May '14 Quakteanro Gugili... 49
kauai kai salon May '14 shara 1
•••
•••
Kapaa Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Kapaa Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••