Letters to the Editor - Letters

I remember when our neighborhood gang would set rules for street games and then the bigger guys would change the rules in the middle of the play. Read more
dargent77

Nashville, TN

#1 Nov 20, 2008
Mr. Littell: Your letter eroneously marginalizes the office of President.
Maybe on paper (parchment)you are correct, but from JFK, who could of pushed the button on Russia in 1962 to Nixon who escalated Vietnam in 1968, to GW Bush who "created" the monstorous nightmare in Iraq in 2001, these men have more power than you give credit to.
Tourists

Honolulu, HI

#2 Nov 20, 2008
Francis Wydooghe you have got to be kidding me.

There is a reason why people are given tickets for Jaywalking ... its for the safety of all pedestrians. It's a jungle out here in Hawaii and there are tons of pedestrian accidents. The result of these accidents is often the fault of both pedestrians and drivers. This is why Hawaii harsh laws that ticket drivers who do not respect pedestrians in crosswalks. The same is true for pedestrians. Fair is fair, use a marked crosswalk, walk when you are given the green light, or risk getting a ticket. That is live and it is for your own protection.

The same is true for those riding bicycles in Waikiki. There are city ordinances that allow people to ride bicycles on the road, but not on side walks. This also applies to skateboards. This is for safety purposes. Goodness forbid a tourist gets hit by a person riding a bicycle or skateboard on the sidewalk. But I guess that individual would probably write a letter to the editor as you did.

That person would probably cite the laziness of the police for not writing tickets to these law breakers. I guess that is just how it all pans out; it is impossible to make everyone happy.

As for quotas ... hahahaha yeah a) highly unlikely an officer would say that out loud and b) even considering that there are quotas connected with jaywalking is ridiculous.

Next time, obey the law and go cry to someone who cares. I am sure you would be upset if a bunch of brown people came to Canada and started breaking the ordinances of your city.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#3 Nov 20, 2008
HPD needs to enforce the law so I do not blame them. They might give warnings first, however. They do seem to flub up the simplist tasks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kapaa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kauai Water Department wins approval of explora... (Oct '12) Jan '15 jax23willis 3
Kapaa Music Thread (Apr '12) Nov '14 Musikologist 15
News New record temperatures set at Lihue, Honolulu ... Oct '14 Joe Balls 1
Food bank delivers to a community in need (Sep '14) Sep '14 Katy Means 1
News A new lava flow begins as another ends (Jul '14) Jul '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
News Walgreens seeks to open store in Nanakuli - Bus... (Sep '08) Jun '14 tommy 52
News Father Gets Probation for Making Son Walk 1 Mile (May '14) Jun '14 Warren Jones 2
Kapaa Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Kapaa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]