Safeway targets Lihue

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Safeway is on an expansion track, with plans to build a new retail center in Lihue, Kauai, to be anchored by a new lifestyle grocery store.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
glenn paul

Johnson City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Judged:

They said they were going to be a good neighbor, what a joke. The exact same thing happened here in Sayre, PA. I was in Rotary and on the Sayre Business Association for years, and that is exactly what Wal Mart promised. We had a beautiful downtown where you could buy anything at a good price and the store owners made a fair living. Knew all of the store owners. Sayre now looks like a downtown dump. Empty stores, weeds, no one hardly goes downtown now. Citizens, keep Safeway out of Kauai. I know from first hand experience.
glenn paul

Johnson City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Talk about people losing jobs, wow.
Aiea

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Judged:

Who cares what happens on Kauai anyway?
Rufus

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

We shop at all Safeway stores, they give a good product for the buck, the only thing is I think the people of Kauai (the radicals) will treat the building of Safeway like the super ferry; NO NEED, NO LIKE! To me I just feel this small group of roudies is giving the beautiful garden isle community and its TRUE kamaainas a bad name....
glenn paul

Johnson City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Aiea wrote:
Who cares what happens on Kauai anyway?
I don't quite know how to respond to you as we live in Sayre, PA. But, the citizens of Kauai should care, been to Kauai. Kauai in a very nice island with small towns and a wonderful spirit of the Aloha spirit. At least, that was our experience. If I live there, I would not want our island to loose the way of living and small town friendleness. We have always lived by the saying...if you want a good neighborhood, you have to be a good neighbor. Oh well, this is only our experience. Mahalo.
Papa

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Mr. Glenn Paul should move to Kauai. I'm sure he would be right at home with the protester there who claim to know whats good for Kauai. All the way from Sayre Pa he has started the protest already. The Safeway stores are about to experience the true meaning of Aloha Spirit(Kauai Style).
glenn paul

Johnson City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Papa wrote:
Mr. Glenn Paul should move to Kauai. I'm sure he would be right at home with the protester there who claim to know whats good for Kauai. All the way from Sayre Pa he has started the protest already. The Safeway stores are about to experience the true meaning of Aloha Spirit(Kauai Style).
Papa., if we had the money, Kauai would be where we would move to. I'm not sure what your point is, but as I said, we found Kauai to be a nice island filled with good people and the Aloha Spirit. Why don't you want the people to keep it that way? READ WHAT HAPPENED HERE IN SAYRE, PA. ITS NOT VERY PRETTY.
Trans Pacific

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Judged:

glenn paul wrote:
They said they were going to be a good neighbor, what a joke. The exact same thing happened here in Sayre, PA. I was in Rotary and on the Sayre Business Association for years, and that is exactly what Wal Mart promised. We had a beautiful downtown where you could buy anything at a good price and the store owners made a fair living. Knew all of the store owners. Sayre now looks like a downtown dump. Empty stores, weeds, no one hardly goes downtown now. Citizens, keep Safeway out of Kauai. I know from first hand experience.
I can't tell from your post if it was Safeway or WalMart that you feel damaged your downtown? I've not spent much time in PA but have spent lots in IN, IL, WI & saw how mega-markets pushed out Mom & Pop stores, as has happened here. I don't think Safeway is the biggest offender though. They happen to be closest to my home so I shop there a lot & it's a decent chain. It's all part of the corporatization of America I guess.

Kauai already has a Safeway in Kapaa. The background behind the comments in this forum has to do with last year's protests by a vocal minority of Kauai residents against the SuperFerry, which offended Hawaii citizens on the other isles. Oahu has 80% of the state's population, so our tax $$ goes out to the other islands when their economies falter. Kauai will be taking some big hits with the overall drop in tourists, the recently announced closure of their last sugar plantation, & the new preference for interisland travel between Maui & Oahu, because of SuperFerry. So let's see if they now protest this too.

Personally, I think the Local families who have been there for generations, are getting S C R E W E D
by the Transplants who have taken over as if they own the island as a private kingdom.
maui

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

kauai hate the supper ferry but we need the ferry to go there to tell the people on kauai need more brains aloha
Dwood

Wahiawa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

To all you bone-heads saying Kauai needs the super-ferry to keep our hotels filled , explain why that is working on Maui where they have the lowest occupency rates in the state, (next to Oahu) , I sum it up cause people coming off the boat only like steal what they can't have which is life like it was 20yrs ago .
Bill from Manoa

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Okay, so Safeway opening a Lihue store is bad, but Whole Foods opening up in Kahala where Star Market used to be is good?

Or is it just because we're already so screwed up on Oahu anyway?
Craig

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Not to get off the subject, but I live in Salt Lake and that Safeway is so mismanaged, it's ridiculous. I try to stop off at a Foodland on the way home so I can avoid that particular Safeway. All of the other Safeway's I've been to have offered excellent service, have items stocked and priced, etc; all the details you would expect as a consumer. Not the Safeway in Salt Lake. Seems like they're riding on the fact that they are pretty much the only option in Salt Lake not including Sack-n-Save which is an addtional 10 minute drive. They should definitely try to define and live up to their brand at all stores before considering opening another one. Clerks yelling from lane to lane "what's the PLU number for celery?" while you're standing in line for 20 minutes (no joke!). I wanted to buy jumbo shrimp one night and I stood there for about 15 minutes before finally someone from the pantry came by to let me know it's closed because that persons on break but they could help me! Something as simple as a generic sign (see Deli department for assistance" would resolve. Crazy management!
huh

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Dwood wrote:
To all you bone-heads saying Kauai needs the super-ferry to keep our hotels filled , explain why that is working on Maui where they have the lowest occupency rates in the state,(next to Oahu), I sum it up cause people coming off the boat only like steal what they can't have which is life like it was 20yrs ago .
Tell me who's hurting more. Kauai 1 in 200 homes are in foreclosure. Maui 1 in 1,000 homes are in foreclosure. One thing is for sure.

Crime is going to go through the roof in Kauai. The senior citizens will be the target because their fixed income is fixed while other's whos lost their jobs have nothing.

http://starbulletin.com/2008/09/12/news/story...
TransPacific

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Dwood wrote:
To all you bone-heads saying Kauai needs the super-ferry to keep our hotels filled , explain why that is working on Maui where they have the lowest occupency rates in the state,(next to Oahu), I sum it up cause people coming off the boat only like steal what they can't have which is life like it was 20yrs ago .
It doesn't enhance your argument to call those who disagree with you bone-heads. I no longer care in the least what happens between Kauai & the SuperFerry now. "Kamaaina specials" will be the new strategy but All my future inter-island travel will be to the other islands, not Kauai. My Uncle/Aunty on Maui have a big home with a guest room where we stay so my visits aren't reflected in hotel occupancy rates. I DO spend money in the Makawao art galleries, Kaahumanu Mall, restaurants, the aquarium & other places on Maui though. I guess the only one's who lost from my recent visit via SF was the rental car companies & Hawaiian Air or Go. Maybe now there won't have to be so many extra autos sitting around Kahului airport, since we Oahu visitors will take our cars back home when we leave.

Since you may be from Kauai? What's the story on a Lihue Safeway? Are picketers lining up at the work sight, flattening tires of vehicles trying to drive in?
TransPacific

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

Dwood wrote:
One more comment re life 20 yrs ago: If I wanted the slower pace on the Outer Islands I'd move there. I find them too slow for my taste, but they're a lovely place to visit. Each island has it's unique geological & historical features that draw me. I've been to Vegas & Cali a lot but rising airfares might make me prefer keeping my money closer to home.
Dwood

Wahiawa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2008

Yea your right we have foreclosers its the dumb -ass's that thought they could pay there mortage by doing illegal vac rentals or sky high rentals as well as other factors but 1 thing for sure no can't pay there mortage cause the stupid-ferry isn't here!, and if you read that whole article about foreclosers you would have read 300 are from a time-share hotel that went belly-up! To the 1 person who stays at aunties you are at max 3% of the total percentage so your affect really can't help more than 1 or 2 shop owners anyways glad your happy now shut your pie-hole!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Kapaa Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Kapaa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••