KC Star now charging delivery people ...

KC Star now charging delivery people up to $5 per complaint.

Posted in the Kansas City Forum

Anon

Pleasanton, KS

#1 Mar 1, 2009
KC Star, IBD, Financial Times, NYT, WSJ, USA Today, Barron's, and Olathe News delivery people are being forced to accept new terms that enable The Star to deduct up to $5 per complaint from newspaper delivery agents/newspaper carriers. Many carriers don't make more than 8 cents per delivery through the week and 75 cents for each Sunday delivery. The $5 charges can be billed as a result of "Aggravated Customer", "Wet Bagged Paper", "Not Started", "Not Stopped" and a few more.

This is a blatant attempt to hurt those at the bottom end that are still suffering from the effects of last summer's high fuel prices. These tactics, along with several layoffs, have been occurring since McClatchy bought out Knight-Ridder in 2006.

Customer service has been relocated first to Georgia and now to India, removing the ability of carriers to let customers know that things are running late due to vehicle trouble or bad weather.

A third party company was created to act as a go-between for The Star and several other financial papers and most recently the USA Today. These other papers were being delivered by carriers that were making as much as 70 cents a daily copy. They are now delivered by The Star carriers for the same rate that they make for delivering The Star. That intermediate company profits from the huge rate difference while the carriers burn more fuel and spend more time trying to keep track of who gets which paper.

The Star no longer cares about it's subscribers or newspaper carriers, only about numbers and advertisers.

Many carriers have left, but many cannot afford to.

Please, if you can, try to work directly with your carrier. Remember they are out there in the middle of the night, often before the plow and salt trucks get to work. They also are the ones calling the police if they notice anything suspicious at 3am.

Pass this on to your community, let them know what's happening.
Albert Hill

Lees Summit, MO

#2 Jul 13, 2010
I realy dislike droping Mark Trail before this new epsode ended just so you could start some new fourth grade cartoon only because it is cheaper. Most of the writing skill is fourth grade anyway.
Lorrain

Chicago, IL

#3 Nov 12, 2010
Doesn't really matter. Today will be my 5th call to the star. Paper is thrown in neighbors yard. Was given delivery drivers number witch was no longer in service. At this point the star has not corrected the problem. Who will charge THEM?

Beth BC

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#4 Nov 12, 2010
Is it bad that I call and say I'm from different locations several times every day?
Brian baker

Olathe, KS

#5 Nov 3, 2013
KC delivery is terrible!!! I am just happy to get a paper delivered. Will,never renew again!!
VCT

Blue Springs, MO

#6 May 6, 2015
I was told by a STAR person over the phone to NOT call the delivery person directly --- they want to track the number and type of complaints people have. My paper thrower even put a CURT NOTE in one days paper chewing me out for always calling the " 877 " gripe number instead of them first, because of the way it hurts them financially. I can only guess they might be be better off chasing those 10 Buck an hour Wal-Mart wage jobs ( at least their SUPPOSED to happen !!) or turn to crime like so many seem to be doing.
advice

Kansas City, MO

#7 May 10, 2015
thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kansas City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Love 23 hr Poop 2
Review: Relax Smoke Shop (May '15) Sun vape78 4
News Woman: ' - Raytown Romeo' conned me out of $9K ... (Apr '14) Sat Again 328
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Sat Well Well 20,775
Missing Links MC (Oct '10) Jan 21 BAMBAM 230
Help me find stuff Jan 20 Anonymous 2
Drug Dealing on Streets (Aug '13) Jan 19 Chris 36

Kansas City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kansas City Mortgages