Odessa Buzzing Over Potential of Thou...

Odessa Buzzing Over Potential of Thousand of New Jobs

There are 58 comments on the Fox4KC story from Feb 15, 2010, titled Odessa Buzzing Over Potential of Thousand of New Jobs. In it, Fox4KC reports that:

There could be some good news coming for one small town just east of Kansas City, with word of over 3,400 new jobs coming to Odessa, Missouri.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox4KC.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
OdessaNative

Lees Summit, MO

#1 Feb 16, 2010
Thanks to The City team. We are FINALLY moving forward after YEARS of stagnation!
Odessan

Kansas City, MO

#2 Feb 16, 2010
Good for Odessa!

I heard that the Gov. Nixon and Ike Skelton were attending, is there any truth to this?
RealityBites23

Lees Summit, MO

#3 Feb 16, 2010
ALL credit for this project from the city side goes to the Mayor and his Administrator, Economic Development Director and other support staff. I know they have worked very hard to secure this project and they deserve the praise. I hope it is the beginning of an economic revival in Odessa. Lord help us all, and future growth, if our Mayor doesn't win reelection in April.
Madelyn Sheaffer

Columbia, MO

#4 Feb 16, 2010
This was a very slanted piece of media portraying the town of Odessa (which I live in) as a one horse town full of nothing but tattoo parlors, pawn shops, and empty store fronts. Odessa, Missouri is a fine and booming small town of churches, schools, and white collar families who commute out of town so they can come back home to the small town they love. From this news portrayal you would think that everyone in Odessa should be (and/or is) happy at the unveiling so some factory manufacturing 3000+ jobs. What about telling us also about the pollution that this new "boon" to our community will also generate?
AnotherOdessan

United States

#5 Feb 16, 2010
Well, if it's a windmill factory i'm guessing they're pretty aware of environmental concerns. :)
good source

Warrensburg, MO

#6 Feb 16, 2010
Odessan wrote:
Good for Odessa!
I heard that the Gov. Nixon and Ike Skelton were attending, is there any truth to this?
Ya know, there just might be some truth to that! Go Thursday at 2 and find out for yourself :-)
DRinODMO

Oklahoma City, OK

#7 Feb 17, 2010
RealityBites23 wrote:
ALL credit for this project from the city side goes to the Mayor and his Administrator, Economic Development Director and other support staff. I know they have worked very hard to secure this project and they deserve the praise. I hope it is the beginning of an economic revival in Odessa. Lord help us all, and future growth, if our Mayor doesn't win reelection in April.
Really...the Mayor and Administrator? and Economic Development Director? Try the STATE OF MISSOURI. The City offers nothing for new businesses, outside of higher taxes, levys, etc. See the number of business...long time businesses I might add...that are/have closing/closed their doors. This group of "leaders" (used very loosely) has done nothing to create growth. Economic revival...really? This mayor has been in office 2 terms now and has done NOTHING for our City. Quit drinking the Kool-Aid, open your eyes. I hope you are right and a revival does begin, but not under this leadership...we need change.
OliODMO

Lexington, MO

#8 Feb 17, 2010
I agree with DrinODMO. I don't care for Tony one bit. He has done nothing for our city and the costs have actually risen. I WILL NOT vote for him in the April election, as I have never cared for him. Credit only goes to the State of Missouri. Point blank.
RealityBites23

Lees Summit, MO

#9 Feb 17, 2010
I happen to know how hard the City team has been working to secure this development and they HAVE worked very hard for months. I suppose this development could have landed ANYWHERE else but ya know, IT LANDED HERE and not because the State of Missouri just happened to CHOOSE Odessa. It doesn't work that way! Do your homework and quit being a HATER! You may not like the Mayor and that is your right. He has the best interest of the city in mind with everything he does more than you seem to.
OdessaMO

United States

#10 Feb 17, 2010
OliODMO wrote:
I agree with DrinODMO. I don't care for Tony one bit. He has done nothing for our city and the costs have actually risen. I WILL NOT vote for him in the April election, as I have never cared for him. Credit only goes to the State of Missouri. Point blank.
Mayor Bamvakais truly cares about the future of this town. He has worked diligently to serve our community despite all the unnessary negative comments that have been made against him. If you do not like him, that is fine. But to post that he has done "nothing" for our city is negativity that our little town does not need!
OdessaMO

United States

#11 Feb 17, 2010
DRinODMO wrote:
<quoted text>
Really...the Mayor and Administrator? and Economic Development Director? Try the STATE OF MISSOURI. The City offers nothing for new businesses, outside of higher taxes, levys, etc. See the number of business...long time businesses I might add...that are/have closing/closed their doors. This group of "leaders" (used very loosely) has done nothing to create growth. Economic revival...really? This mayor has been in office 2 terms now and has done NOTHING for our City. Quit drinking the Kool-Aid, open your eyes. I hope you are right and a revival does begin, but not under this leadership...we need change.
and one more thing..... if you truly believe that the State of Missouri is responsible for all city growth, then you need to quite drinking the Kool-aid, my friend.....
Bill

Kansas City, MO

#12 Feb 17, 2010
I heard they were moving it to Grain Valley because you Odessa folks can't get along.
SignOtheTimes

Lees Summit, MO

#13 Feb 17, 2010
It's really a sad thing that there are people out there who would rather say negative, sad, things about our local leaders at a time when the whole country is falling apart. Mayor Tony is human as is the rest of the employees of the city of Odessa. They won't always do right by every person in the city. Imagine if any of you had to please everyone all of the time. You couldn't do it. I would suspect that DRinODMO and OliODMO maybe one in the same person and most likely affiliated with the Odessan. It's no secret that the editor and her family HATE the Mayor and administration and she will do anything to undermine all the good they are doing. Maybe it has been slow going but at least things are happening. 3400 jobs isn't small potatos for Odessa. I've lived in Odessa all my life and since Mayor Tony became Mayor, there are no good articles about the city from this editor, only bad. It will be interesting to see the headline in the Odessan after this news breaks. I don't expect the credit to go to the Mayor or his staff. I might fall down with a heart attack if it did say that. And I do agree that the state of MO didn't control this development. They are surely helping in some way but companies choose where they want to go and not the state. This is a time for all citizens in Odessa to support what is coming. I am excited about the announcement tomorrow and I hope it all works out for the best cause Lord knows that the naysayers are waiting in the wings to say "I told you so". They should be saying "how can we help make this a success for the future of Odessa?"
Scott

Smithville, MO

#14 Feb 17, 2010
Has anything been released about who the new company that is coming ot Odessa is ?
DRinODMO

Oklahoma City, OK

#15 Feb 17, 2010
RealityBites & OdessaMO,
With all due respect, the City has no resources to fund such a project. You think such a facility in today's operating environment would choose based on tax breaks, government subsidies, etc. So, long term it could be a very benefactor for the City, but in the short-term we have too many other issues that have been created by multiple years of inattention to details...So you see I'm not pinning all the blame on this leadership group, but they have done nothing to solve the problems to this point. How are the streets you drive down, does your electricity go out (our current grid is over-stressed), been near the ghost town known as the outlet mall recently?

The infrastructure of the city cannot support the current load, much less a facility that employs 3400 people. Do you really think the City of Odessa has in the budget to upgrade the sewer, electric and roads immediately. Not exactly. But, a state subsidized loan for that is much more likely. Either that, or our taxes are going up again, savvy? Because, reality says that the money has to come from somewhere, and it's not coming from commercial growth, with the exception of this BIG announcement. Hopefully commercial development follows this business to Odessa, but it's going to take more than the highest business costs in the area to attract them. BTW, if either of you would like to debate this further, my name is Darryl Rider...look it up in the phone book and call me. No need to do this on a discussion board.
DRinODMO

Oklahoma City, OK

#16 Feb 17, 2010
SignOtheTimes wrote:
It's really a sad thing that there are people out there who would rather say negative, sad, things about our local leaders at a time when the whole country is falling apart. Mayor Tony is human as is the rest of the employees of the city of Odessa. They won't always do right by every person in the city. Imagine if any of you had to please everyone all of the time. You couldn't do it. I would suspect that DRinODMO and OliODMO maybe one in the same person and most likely affiliated with the Odessan. It's no secret that the editor and her family HATE the Mayor and administration and she will do anything to undermine all the good they are doing. Maybe it has been slow going but at least things are happening. 3400 jobs isn't small potatos for Odessa. I've lived in Odessa all my life and since Mayor Tony became Mayor, there are no good articles about the city from this editor, only bad. It will be interesting to see the headline in the Odessan after this news breaks. I don't expect the credit to go to the Mayor or his staff. I might fall down with a heart attack if it did say that. And I do agree that the state of MO didn't control this development. They are surely helping in some way but companies choose where they want to go and not the state. This is a time for all citizens in Odessa to support what is coming. I am excited about the announcement tomorrow and I hope it all works out for the best cause Lord knows that the naysayers are waiting in the wings to say "I told you so". They should be saying "how can we help make this a success for the future of Odessa?"
I'm not affiliated with The Odessan, and if you would like to contact me, my name is Darryl Rider and I am not the same person as OliODMO. I am a big boy and have enough reasons to state my opinion. I do support the firm moving to Odessa, but let's not paint such a rosey picture of the leadership we currently have.
RealityBites23

Lees Summit, MO

#17 Feb 17, 2010
Mr. Darryl Rider. Have you ever thought for a moment that maybe the city isn't spending much if any money to get this development here? The Odessan today mentions financing by industrial revenue bonds that are backed by the company and NOT the city. It also says there are no tax abatements offered by the city. Have you ever thought that the idea of 3400 jobs may be everything that is needed to attract other businesses to Odessa which could raise the tax base? Have you ever thought that once the tax base is raised then maybe alot of our infrastructure problems could be fixed? Have you ever thought that state economic development programs support businesses that are growing and not failing so the city couldn't do much to save a sinking ship. Look around, business is failing all over America but I guess that is the fault of the city they are in and not the owner of the business, or the economy, or other factors. You seem to have ideas but I haven't seen your name on any ballot for elected local office. Why not? I guess it's easier to attack those who take a chance to help a community and a community full of people who seem to know it all but never come to a meeting or run for office Few do but most don't. Maybe you should consider what you don't know about this project before you attack the leaders that do know.
RealityBites23

Lees Summit, MO

#18 Feb 17, 2010
Scott wrote:
Has anything been released about who the new company that is coming ot Odessa is ?
The paper says Manna of Utah
DRinODMO

Oklahoma City, OK

#19 Feb 17, 2010
RealityBites (I still don't have a name for you),
We'll see. Sir or madam, whichever you are, I'm not trying to make this a gotcha or anything of the sort, I simply am of the opinion that the leadership of Odessa needs changed for the City to move forward. I have thought at length of running for a public office (and apparently you were not at the meetings I attended), I simply have too many other things going on in my life...work, family, school, etc. The infrastructure must be repaired prior to any growth being sustained.
OdessaMO

United States

#20 Feb 17, 2010
What needs to change is the negative attitude. We have a town full of people who care about it. Can't we simply decide to work together and quit beating each other down??? Seriously??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kansas City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 22 hr south amboy 20,699
News 18-year-old accused in deadly southeast Missour... Sun Trailer park 5
Oxy Sat Boogie 1252 1
Karl bowie Sat Lol 1
News Contact the FOX 4 Problem Solvers (Apr '10) Dec 2 Ashley kitchell 181
Do hispanic woman like white men? (Jun '13) Nov 29 Whyteguy 128
Trump Child Rape Accuser out of Fear.. Nov 28 so sad 1

Kansas City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kansas City Mortgages