Program Gets Free Air Conditioners Into Homes of Seniors in Need

Full story: Fox4KC

The triple-digit heat indexes that have descended across the metro area this week can be dangerous for those who don't have air conditioning, particularly the elderly.
Comments
1 - 20 of 29 Comments Last updated Tuesday Jul 22
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
david e white

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2010

i am disabled i have a bad heart and a lot of other medical problums i need an air conditioner very badley thank you.
david e white

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2010

i need an ac unit very bad i have a bad heart and other medical trouble.
david e white pax wv

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2010

i need a free ac i am a heart patient and i have a lot of other medical trouble thank you.
smltwnb

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

you're kind of out of our area. contact your local community service organization.
flossie m grady

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

i would like to know how to get an air conditioner for my mother's does not cool the room during the heat wave. she is 84 years old
terry haynes

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2011

my parents are both elderly, how do i get them a air condition?
ThomasA

Gadsden, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

If you are working with a program to provide air conditioners to the needy, mark them in several places as to the name of the program you're in and that they cannot be sold. I worked in such a program where the same people were requesting air conditioners every year. Finally we found out that the children and grandchildren were selling and pawning them off during the winter for drug money. Next year when the heat arrived, there was no air conditioner. Druggies don't care who they hurt,even their own kin.
Reality Sucks

Sedalia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2011

Judged:

Good intentions paving the way again...

My heart goes out to anyone who is struggling to get by but taxpaying ants should not be held responsible for the comfort of the dependent grasshoppers.

If your parents need an air conditioner, buy them one. This may mean that you need to abstain from cigarettes or lottery tickets or booze and drugs for a couple of days, but isn't the sacrifice worth it?

I strongly support and contribute to PRIVATE charities. The government has no legitimate responsibility to provide food, health care or housing, much less comfortable housing to any one.

There was a time in this country when each took care of himself and his own family. This country was strong then, we can't really say that now, can we?
cwalter

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2011

Judged:

Wow people what happened to helping one another out even if someone had a habit they still deserve help and just because you are a tax payer they probably were at one time or served your country cut them some slack its not all about you.
kelly gunn

Madison, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2011

my grandfather is in need of an air conditioner he has central heat and air but he needs a new one he just had freon put in this morning but it is already getting hot hw sure could use a window unit if at all possible please contact me at kellygunn20@yahoo.com
Liel

Sedalia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2011

Reality Sucks wrote:
Good intentions paving the way again...
My heart goes out to anyone who is struggling to get by but taxpaying ants should not be held responsible for the comfort of the dependent grasshoppers.
If your parents need an air conditioner, buy them one. This may mean that you need to abstain from cigarettes or lottery tickets or booze and drugs for a couple of days, but isn't the sacrifice worth it?
I strongly support and contribute to PRIVATE charities. The government has no legitimate responsibility to provide food, health care or housing, much less comfortable housing to any one.
There was a time in this country when each took care of himself and his own family. This country was strong then, we can't really say that now, can we?
There was also a time when we all pitched in to help our neighbors; now the majority expect the government or insurance to take care of those in need.
While there is some truth to what you say (and I tend to loose empathy for those that are blatantly waste money and perpetuate their miserable condition)... I pay taxes, do not smoke, drink (or do drugs) or play the lottery, live very modestly use coupons, shop sales,(and garage sales), recycle and reassign usable items; I also share with those more in need than myself but I too could use an ac unit and know others (that are not abusing the system) in need as well. Some people ruin things for the rest of us by abusing the system. If everyone would help someone less fortunate a lot of the needs would be met. Too many are taking whatever they can get and ruin or sell it, then getting back in line.
it is a sad situation.
Liel

Sedalia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2011

cwalter wrote:
Wow people what happened to helping one another out even if someone had a habit they still deserve help and just because you are a tax payer they probably were at one time or served your country cut them some slack its not all about you.
I think "possible" is more likely than "probably", however, I agree with helping those that are over burdened that are making an effort to help themselves but realistically you can not help someone that is not willing to help themselves.... some people always have an empty hand out (never making a positive contribution to society) then you will see these same people taking frequent vacations, defaulting on their debts, spending cash on smokes and booze after buying name brand convenience items and prime cuts of meat with food stamps.... I would be happy to help them(teach to fish rather than give them a fish for the day) but they do not want the help the need only a handout so they can continue to live above their means. We need to be responsible with our charity.
dora r abalos

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2011

I Suffer From Emphysema,High Blood Pressure,Poor Circulation And Diabetes I Really Need An Air Conditioner To Help Me With my Respiratory Problems. Thank You For Your Assistance In This Matter.I Have A Letter From My Doctor.Her Name Is Ann Gotschall,Physician,MD Any Questions? Please Send Me An Application.I Will Be 75years old In October The 20th.I Was Born In 1936.I Will Forever Be Greatful For Your Help. Sincerly,Dora Abalos.7203 Gonzales Houston,Tx
Monbakmo

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2011

Dora,

I believe you are in need. You might contact your local Salvation Army or your church for assistance.
I would strongly suggest that you DO NOT post your address on ANY Website.
You have just told the whole world that you are old and frail...and WHERE you live.

READERS: Please flag her post and request it be deleted.
Linda

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2011

the goverment gives money to the drug adicts they fully support them
Stealth

Warsaw, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2011

Judged:

How is it you all still have working computers?
moogle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2012

Judged:

what the hell there is nothing in here to tell how to get an air conditioner for elderly or handy cap people for free
ThomasA

Gadsden, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2012

moogle wrote:
what the hell there is nothing in here to tell how to get an air conditioner for elderly or handy cap people for free
Do it locally through senior services so it can be monitored. Too many scammers on here to do anything nationally.
Candy

Overland Park, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

My parents air conditioner just went out when he tried to turn it on today. They both are disabled with heart conditions, diabetes, and other numerous health problems. They on on an extremely fixed income therefore they are unable to purchase a new or used one outright and unfortunately I am not in a position to help them out at this time. I'm trying to find somewhere or someone who could help me help them or knows where I can find a donated unit. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you

Candy
Marie Zezzo

Canal Winchester, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2012

My father is 81 yrs old and has lymphoma cancer. His AC went out in Northern Columbus Ohiok

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

549 Users are viewing the Kansas City Forum right now

Search the Kansas City Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MO Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 8 min Abdurratln 856
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 13 min truth told 18,737
Never an excuse for shooting unarmed suspects, ... 15 min Obamafonesforall 10
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 16 min Muslim in the Whi... 96,684
MO Ferguson Police Chief Just Shocked Everyone Wit... 2 hr one arm dave 259
MO Powerful Photos Blast The Media's Portrayal Of ... 3 hr you got that right 145
Swingers (Jul '09) 22 hr Tara 17
•••
•••
•••
•••

Kansas City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Kansas City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE