Counselor helps ex-felons find jobs

Counselor helps ex-felons find jobs

There are 285 comments on the Kansas City Star story from Aug 21, 2007, titled Counselor helps ex-felons find jobs. In it, Kansas City Star reports that:

Patrick Danley brushes aside doubt with a preacher's zeal. 'What you want to do, bro?' he asked an ex-felon on a recent day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas City Star.

Misty

Kansas City, KS

#147 Jan 13, 2009
LANA wrote:
I NEED HELP WITH MY BOYFRIEND HE WANTS TO TURN HIS LIFE AROUND BUT DOESN'T KNOW WHERE TO START. I AM TRYING TO SUPPORT HIM AND ITS HARD BECAUSE I DONT KNOW WHERE HE COMING FROM. IF THERE IS ANY WAY SOME ONE CAN HELP ME TO HELP HIM. PLEASE SOME ONE EMAIL ME AT [email protected]
Lana, i'm in the same situation you were in.....did you find anyone to help you?
this is john bias

Salt Lake City, UT

#148 Jan 16, 2009
okay don't why we petition stop discriminate against felons and send letter to U.S. Congress.
We must build 5.3 millions of felons can petition and change the america. don't why we do that ???
we are intelligent to change the law felons.
i am felon and i tried petition once but failed.
we will trying it again. we don't give up.
my e-mail is [email protected]
i will work with you and i will save my all e-mail address.
understanding

Bronx, NY

#149 Jan 25, 2009
Tina Birmingham Alabama wrote:
I am a single black female who has an felon on my record and I am down so low that I can't even crawl. I was a nurse by profression before everything started to go wrong. I don't know what to do or say. I am lost and wish I could get someone to help me.
I am in the same situation. I did have a decent job after release of prison for 2 years as an Admin. Asst. but I have lost the job a few months ago and now I am having a hard time dealing. I have a soonr o be 3 year old and a child on the way. My advice is to go to school and talk to someone who helps those with records find a job.(this is what I'm going to do)
person who inhaled

Heyworth, IL

#150 Mar 4, 2009
Hello i feel your pain i recently was turned down for a job that i have been trained and been doing for 10 yrs. I was denied employment because the business insurance company won't allow him to employ a felon. Kinda funny the biggest crooks of all A.K.A legalized Ex torsion make up laws that are so discriminating it's not even funny i got caught with two joints in different locations of the car when i was 19 yrs old and it's now 10 yrs later and i'm still dealing with this i can't get a bar number to practice law or get financial assistance to go to college ,vote or hold any government job but Clinton and Busch who both have gotten away with felony's but either there daddy was the senator or had power to throw them out and they can become a president . What a hypocrisy the people who get in power are hard on the very things they got caught for Busch was trying to make it a felony in Texas to get a D.U.I which he him self has gotten i can get car insurance and pay up the wazoo to drive a car but not to drive a car on a test drive for a job to feed my family as i am an A.S.E certified professional mechanic this is the first time i have gotten this excuse and is now becoming a problem after ten years give me a damn break these company's want bailouts well i say let em burn they sold out America so we should sell them out A.I.G this company under writes that company's insurance policy nothing like ruining the economy yourself s jackass's by not allowing business's to operate and inflict your extortion on the public and take fat bonuses at our expense.God bless to all dealing with this and if you live in Florida you file the right paper work you can get a lot of your rights back and vote these idiot's out of office as Perot said a giant vacuum sound sucking the jobs and economy out of are country and look where were at now!!!!!!!!
person who inhaled

Heyworth, IL

#151 Mar 5, 2009
Nate wrote:
Man i'm on the job hunt again. An yes i'm a felon for a real bs charge about 5 yrs ago. Just a poss. charge. Look i've tried all kinda different places an nothin other than labor ready will even mess wit me. My felony is 5 yrs old in march an most staffin agencies that pay more than labor ready told me they won't mess wit me. I'm 27 yrs old i've been doin bodywork an auto detailing for the last like 7 or 8 yrs. Have'nt found no luck there. Granted my work history is'nt the greatest. I can do bout anything thats put in front of me. Never had a problem holdin a job but finding one is a whole different story. Waffle house might give a chance. Ya know thats all most of us need is a chance. I have like supervisors that i've worked for through labor ready,they've told me they would hire me in a second if i was'nt a felon. If most jobs would give that chance they'd find some good workers. Me personally i'm tired of workin for people. I want my own business,an i will have it someday cause i'm definitely not lettin this felony hold me back. Hey anybody kno if they still do a job list for felons?
Good luck on your owning your own business as you can not get incorporated with a felony sorry to give bad news but i have spent a butt load of money appealing this as i have tried starting my own business and have had bad success this is one big run around trap and every way you try to over come this there is a road block. Just hold your head up and do some research on the state laws and federal where you live because some states are more diligent on enforcement than others I'm finding. good luck and do some homework it'll help you with future plans and idea's you have so you don't waste your time!
felons mom

North Olmsted, OH

#152 Mar 6, 2009
You don't need a corporation to start your own
company. You can buy a lawnmower or find one
on trash day and start mowing yards, being clean,
neat, totally shaven and no tattoos showing.
Get a post office box ($25) in a classy city
go to Vistaprint.com and get free business cards
made up. Look professional and go to every house
on 100 streets until you get customers. Then once
you do a REALLY GOOD JOB for them, ask if you can
clean out their gutters. Get a ladder and start
cleaning. If you are polite, honest, friendly and
reasonable people will start to trust you. See if you can get together some modest tools and
put "handyman" on your business card. Be willing
to do ANYTHING legal to make money. I know at least 4 felons who have done this and are supporting their family, because they have left
the sloppy street-wise "hustle" and have reconfigured themselves into hardworking respectable men. Do NOT buy lottery tickets,
(a habit of losers) do NOT party on the weekends
(Saturday should be a WORK DAY) do NOT let anyone
personal call you while you are working.... employers HATE to see you on the phone while they are paying you... PRAY GO TO CHURCH and be glad
you are healthy enough to be ABLE to work!
There is such as thing as a "DBA" (doing business
as) If you can get a bank account (people will
trust you more if you can take a check as payment,
you won't look so desperate) Just have the bank
add "DBA such and such " Like Dick Jones, DBA
Jones Home Improvement" to your account and you
can deposit checks made out to your "business" into your personal account.

There are HUNDREDS of homeowners, older persons,
working couples, etc. who NEED some help around
their house. They are afraid of people who look
like rappers, and respect people who look like
Obama (and TALK like Obama...no cursing, street
talk, and swaggering) If Obama could talk to
you right now he would tell you exactly what
I have said....he expects YOU to be responsible
for yourself....he does not intend to solve your
life problems for you...he wants YOU to get off
the couch, stop complaining and go out for 100
days doing what I outlined....
It will change your life if you are willing to
clean up your appearance, your act and your
attitude. GET GOING and you'll have 4 guys working for you in a year. But you'll have to
make THEM change just like you did.....
Give it a try, what do you have to lose at this point?(PS those same customers who learn to
trust you will recommend you to their friends,
and you'll be owning a "business" sooner than you
think!!!_

mike

Blue Springs, MO

#153 Mar 12, 2009
j-dog wrote:
Get off the pity pot.I know its hard to find a job .But somtimes you have to dig a little deeper to get what you want. when you are out there looking for a job learn how to sell yourself. If jobs are that hard to find then ,when you find one keep it and make sure that is what you want to do.I know a lto of you have had jobs so getting out there is no problem for you.
it is really hard to find a job when you have a record if you say get off the pity pot you must not have that shadow hanging over you. my felonies are over a decade old and I still cannot find work. word to the wise. just because we did something wrong a long time ago doesn't mean that we are still that way. I work really hard to avoid that life still today but I do it no matter how stressful it may be because it just isn't worth it to me any more but at what cost. I cannot afford to live. i mean rent, food clothes, anything. employers need to be a little lenient with those of us who have gone so long without getting into trouble. No thats not the case. i have a felony that excludes me for life from most jobs. have i had work since? sure but doing what? selling cars. a repo man. nothing where i can be respected. j dog i think you missed the whole point cause i can keep on.
Jose

Danville, IL

#154 Apr 9, 2009
Why do employers post they are a equal opportunity employer BUT do criminal backgroud checks.
I was recently released from prison and have been looking everywhere for a job. I don't have a license because of past fines. I cannot pay these fines without a job. In order to get a good job I need my license. If I don't have a place to live in the next month and a job I go back to prison. What other choices are there.
Beyond the Conviction

Camden Point, MO

#155 Apr 27, 2009
I don't know if you have heard of this but you can (in missouri) file for a good cause waiver which is designed to allow (ex-felons or at risk job seekers as i like to call us.) to work in the medical feild. I also know having a felony makes it harder to find work but i believe that with companies like Beyond the Conviction. Everyone who wants to work can find work.
keith

Gainesville, FL

#156 May 1, 2009
I like to say to all of you that this applies to, Don' t give up... I know that things are getting harder for all of you, I too haven't been able to find work, but I am one amongst many whom now am trying to start a business that focuses on hiring people like myself. If you and many like you are interested please contact me at my email [email protected] I believe that the way things are going now, we will find ourselves even more and more out of work. So I believe the we whom are the father and mothers of ex-offenders, the children whom have offended should start working for ourselves so we won't have to hear that question ever again on each application that we fill out. Have you ever been convicted of a felony? Please if possible pass this on to the next person. Because I can't do this alone. please contact keith clack at [email protected]
John Doe

Vancouver, WA

#157 May 2, 2009
Yeah we are all screwed it appears. Here is what we should do. We should get thousands of felons together united and become shareholders of our own investment and run a felony friendly corporation.
Caleb McKean

Vancouver, WA

#158 May 2, 2009
Where is the post with all of the successsful felons? The ones who figure out how to achieve their dreams, open their own businesses become successful entrepeneurs and live their dream lives.
Bob the Sailor

Vancouver, WA

#159 May 2, 2009
I heard that employment was the basis for re-entry without recidivism. If our government would establish laws that would protect felons the prisons would become smaller.
I have it the worst, I committed a violent crime. I was convicted of assault 3 and I shot out my driving record at the same time.
The government took my sail boat and said I can't swim for ten years. I wish I could have my boat again and a job or at least my fishing pole.
The officer who arrested me gave me the finger and he got away with it. I am still sore because he twisted it in there real good.
My exwife had five kids by the time I paroled. She wanted me back I had to tell her no. Not on my salary.
The worst thing about my situation is that I think I am going to have to go back to crime to survive. I thought about getting into one of those change machines last night and I never stole in my life but my daughter needs formula and I am laid off and the machine that prints the wic has been down for five days.

Integrity is shown no one is looking.
Society says up yours then wonder why crime and taxes are so high. We live in a society of knuckleheads.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
The ones who judge will reign underneath you no matter the outcome.

Never eat yellow snow because it never tasted right when I was a kid. Not like a snow cone would.

Never get married because it would be like lock down. You never have to be a criminal to society. Society is yours for the taking.

I hope my advise is useful and if you can get me my boat back from the government I would appreciate it.

saddened wife

Matthews, NC

#160 Jun 12, 2009
As I read the blogs, it hurts me to go through and read what everyone is saying and I find to be true. I have a wonderful husband that has made mistakes when he was in his late teens and now we are in our thirties and he is still paying the price. He has served his time, and now the he is out and trying to look for a job it seems to be impossible. We have three children together, and even with waisting money and going to get his cdl liscence, there is still no one that is willing to hire him. I love my family to death, and I love my husband to death, but, I see how bad he wants to work and is so willing to take anything. My husband even has a degree. So being young and making dumb mistakes is a mistake that it seems he will have to continue to live with for the rest of his/our lives. I have faith and I know someone will make a difference and as easy as it is for everyone to go back to the old ways and go around a corner and make money off of selling drugs,sex, or whatever, you would think that the employers would take into consideration that if everyone had not change, then they wouldn't be applying for these positions. I pray for you all. You all inspire me.
bob the sailor

Baker City, OR

#161 Jun 18, 2009
Wow, it sounds like you are living my life. If you are trying to do this legally all I have to say is good luck with that.
Anthony wrote:
My name is Anthony, and i am an ex felon that was incarcerated, and it has been about 3 years since my release.I live in a place were people never forgive, and they don't forget. My name has been slandered all over town.What they don't know they make up.I am not a sex offender i just made a few mistakes of being young and dumb. I lived the party life. I liked to drink and smoke pot,and now all my past comes back to haunt me. I have children now, but i can't support them because were i live people just throw my applications in the trash. All i want is a chance to be able to work, and not be discriminated against. I have been told all types of excuses why i can't work at certain places. The most favorite ones are all about the Tattoos i have wich are not gang related
i just have a lot of them, and i think it makes me appear to be mean looking. Or maybe peolpe are afraid that they might jump off of me. When i work i have never had a complaint, but i have to travel so far away that it becomes a problem for me to get to work. I don't have a drivers license because i have to pay past fines before i can get them.And i can't pay fines because nobody will hire me. What to do?
bob the sailor

Baker City, OR

#162 Jun 18, 2009
Have you ever been convicted for a misdeeanor or a felony?
Why do I only get one line here? Does anybody have any scratch paper? I am trying to fill out an application.
bob the sailor

Baker City, OR

#163 Jun 18, 2009
They are going to give you some time. I wish I could have more time. Those days with three meals a day and a job on the unit. That was the life.
Jose wrote:
Why do employers post they are a equal opportunity employer BUT do criminal backgroud checks.
I was recently released from prison and have been looking everywhere for a job. I don't have a license because of past fines. I cannot pay these fines without a job. In order to get a good job I need my license. If I don't have a place to live in the next month and a job I go back to prison. What other choices are there.
Debera

East Lansing, MI

#164 Jun 21, 2009
Tina Birmingham Alabama wrote:
I am a single black female who has an felon on my record and I am down so low that I can't even crawl. I was a nurse by profression before everything started to go wrong. I don't know what to do or say. I am lost and wish I could get someone to help me.
I feel your pain. I was a Medical biller/Claims Adjudicator with Customer Service. I am even a Mortgage Loan Officer. I have years of experience and cannot get employment because I got railroaded into a non violent felony charge that the state of Michigan will not expunge because at the time of the charge they also discovered my license were expired and thye charged me with that also, so now I have two charges and they say I can not get it off of my record. I have a 5yr old who was 1yrs old at the time. They did not care. But thye wanted to put me in jail if I did not pay them money. I paid it and still can not take care of myself and child because some DA wanted to make himself look good by giving me a non violent FELONY!!! what since does it make to destroy another human beings life by not allowing them to work????
Brandi

Shawnee, KS

#165 Jul 2, 2009
I was released from MODOC in early May and have been on the hunt for a job since the very day I was released. Finding employment right now is tough anyway, add felony convictions and you begin to feel hopeless.
I just recently came across Beyond the Conviction and set up orientation for Monday. I'm very excited to become a productivwe member of society once again, and really believe this organization can help. Finally! light at the end of the tunnel!!
I wish the best of luck to everyone!!
Brandi

Shawnee, KS

#166 Jul 2, 2009
Bob the Sailor wrote:
I heard that employment was the basis for re-entry without recidivism. If our government would establish laws that would protect felons the prisons would become smaller.
I have it the worst, I committed a violent crime. I was convicted of assault 3 and I shot out my driving record at the same time.
The government took my sail boat and said I can't swim for ten years. I wish I could have my boat again and a job or at least my fishing pole.
The officer who arrested me gave me the finger and he got away with it. I am still sore because he twisted it in there real good.
My exwife had five kids by the time I paroled. She wanted me back I had to tell her no. Not on my salary.
The worst thing about my situation is that I think I am going to have to go back to crime to survive. I thought about getting into one of those change machines last night and I never stole in my life but my daughter needs formula and I am laid off and the machine that prints the wic has been down for five days.
Integrity is shown no one is looking.
Society says up yours then wonder why crime and taxes are so high. We live in a society of knuckleheads.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
The ones who judge will reign underneath you no matter the outcome.
Never eat yellow snow because it never tasted right when I was a kid. Not like a snow cone would.
Never get married because it would be like lock down. You never have to be a criminal to society. Society is yours for the taking.
I hope my advise is useful and if you can get me my boat back from the government I would appreciate it.
The recidivsm rate for parolees in the state of Missouri is 85%, most of which is due to the inabilty to obtain employment. The prison system relies on our failure, there's to much money for them to make to have an actual rehabilitative system. I can't say i feel the full extent of your pain, I have no children to support. keep your head up man, and I wish you the best!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kansas City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 19 hr ICE 21,306
Gangstalking in Kansas City, MO (Oct '11) Fri I beat your game 46
I control snow fall in Kansas city Dec 15 6599qwee 3
Missing Links MC (Oct '10) Dec 15 Stainedskin 247
$20 TV service with 500 channels. 3 day trial! Dec 6 Kelly 9
a d d e r a l l , t a r, b l a c k, w e e d, c... Dec 3 Lol 2
Are you in Pain? Hmu at 62-022-02269 for a hookup Dec 3 Lol 7

Kansas City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kansas City Mortgages