Longs Drugs faces competing offers

Longs Drugs faces competing offers

There are 33 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Sep 13, 2008, titled Longs Drugs faces competing offers. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Walgreen Co. offered yesterday what it calls a superior acquisition price of $3 billion, including the assumption of debt, for Longs Drugs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ron

Honolulu, HI

#22 Sep 14, 2008
If Walgreen prevails in the bid for Longs Drugs, I'll be taking my business elsewhere. I'm not thrilled at what I see in the Keeaumoku St. store -- it doesn't carry the same merchandise, selection and prices as Longs. There's a particular price-quality-availability trade-off that Longs has mastered. It seems like the same thing as Costco vs Sam's Club. The merchandise mix is different, and I wound up switching to Costco, and haven't set foot in Sam's Club after being with them for 10 years.
Longreens

Mililani, HI

#23 Sep 14, 2008
Walgreenser wrote:
Go easy on those Walgreens cashiers that are trying to sell the candy, those cashiers aren't making much and they get a few extra cents on their paycheck for each 'item of the month' they sell.
That is exactly why I have a problem with Walgreens. I come to a store for customer service, not a hard sell and if I company is not paying their workers enough that they are forced to sell candy, that is wrong and we should not support those companies. Same reason why I never shop at Walmart or Sam's Club. Part of the reason they have low prices is they pay their workers less than the competition (Target, Costco). I'm willing to pay a few cents more at another store that treats their workers better.

Since: Apr 08

Los Angeles

#24 Sep 15, 2008
I wonder if the Walgreens at the old Tower Records location is doing well because they get a lot of business from mainland tourists due to name recognition? Would Walgreens stores do as well in locations that rely on local business?
John Smith

Woonsocket, RI

#25 Sep 15, 2008
"I am not criticizing locals. I am saying that they are generlaly not fired to top positions in tourism."
You sure about that scholarship??? I think its spelt "generally."
NDIrish23

Chicago, IL

#26 Sep 15, 2008
If this turns into a bidding war, Walgreen's will bury CVS. I do with business with both Walgreen's and CVS - let me tell you, Walgreen's is a MUCH better retailer. CVS is a good retailer, but they are no Walgreen's.
Rose

Ewa Beach, HI

#27 Sep 17, 2010
It's time for change. I lived here in Hawaii all my life. When walmart came to Hawaii, everybody did not like the idea and today its everybody's favorite and number 1 store in the islands. When I use to go to longs for my prescriptions, I either had to come back at a later time or wait for 1 hour. Ever since walgreens and walmart pharmacies opened up with less time to wait for our prescriptions, there is a shorter wait now at longs pharmacy.. Yeah times are changing and Longs needs a NEW LOOK.
Wilma

Grass Valley, CA

#28 Sep 19, 2010
Yes time for change! To many Lesbians work at Keauhou Longs! It gives me the Jeebees when they wink at me!

Go to Walmart now!
Sarah

Hilmar, CA

#29 Sep 19, 2010
Wilma, so true! I have the same findings! It's the two heavy fat ones that are the Lesbians. They always stare at me. they also are rude at times, think they own the place!
Keauhou Longs Sucks!

out with the old and in with the new!
That place smells horrid too
Sarah

Hilmar, CA

#30 Sep 19, 2010
if not call it:

Lesbian Longs Drugs

LLD, LOL
Lou Ann

San Jose, CA

#31 Sep 19, 2010
Where's Keauhou?
Hookena

Los Angeles, CA

#32 Sep 19, 2010
alice wrote:
grrrrrr...I am an attractive, bright north dakota scholarship student and very attentive to local events and national tragedies like Bush.
I am not criticizing locals. I am saying that they are generlaly not fired to top positions in tourism.
Wanna Pu Insai?
stumpy

Kapolei, HI

#33 Sep 19, 2010
People are under the delusion that Longs is owned by a Hawaiian family. Wake up folks, EVERYTHING here is owned by either whites or orientals, but the orientals are simply better at fooling the locals.
Todd

San Jose, CA

#34 Sep 23, 2010
Keauhou is in Kona

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kaneohe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) Jan 13 Joe Balls 62,104
Paying respect and fentanyl Nov '17 three blocks 1
News Remembering the Kailua of old (Sep '08) Oct '17 Donna 18
News Signs of Hawaiian Life in the Universe (May '07) Aug '17 tongangodz 435
News Tokuda announces plans to run for lieutenant go... Aug '17 American_Infidel 9
Pterodactyl (Jul '17) Jul '17 D Grottoli 1
News Schnitzer Steel Hawaii halts buying scrap metal... (Oct '08) Jun '17 Joe Balls 22

Kaneohe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kaneohe Mortgages