Longs Drugs faces competing offers

Longs Drugs faces competing offers

There are 33 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Sep 13, 2008, titled Longs Drugs faces competing offers. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Walgreen Co. offered yesterday what it calls a superior acquisition price of $3 billion, including the assumption of debt, for Longs Drugs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ululani

Burbank, IL

#1 Sep 13, 2008
gosh leave us alone..although long's is a mainland company it has served us here in Hawaii well..then comes another chain to 'change' our life style again like they did long long ago..leave us alone
Stacy

Niceville, FL

#2 Sep 13, 2008
If it is inevitable, then I don't care who buys Longs, but like when Macy's bought Liberty House, it will be a sad, sad day. I like that CVS is willing to keep the Long's name, if they actually would. It just seems as though the mainland is sucking up the spirit of Hawaii.
WhatsGoingOn

Honolulu, HI

#3 Sep 13, 2008
"Make Walgreens a part of your day, now expect a cut in your pay!"
Old Hawaiian

Wailuku, HI

#4 Sep 13, 2008
With these mainland "aquisitions" comes mainland management styles and the loss of Hawaii's "Ohana" style. For example, a Longs Drugs local supervisor working his way up for the past 12 years is not promoted because a mainland Walgreens manager takes the position. With that comes new employee and customer policies. Everything's sanitized. All the "old timers" quit.

Eventually, all the stores that are taken over look and feel like K-Mart and WallMart.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#5 Sep 13, 2008
Long's is a done deal...let us move on. Walgreens is cool..we have them in North Dakota.
I like to know

Kailua, HI

#6 Sep 13, 2008
:-(
Anonymous

Kilauea, HI

#7 Sep 13, 2008
Gosh...wouldn't it be horrible if the company that takes over didn't want to hire any Asian-Americans...or make the people tokens at best, leaving them with "just enough to operate?"

Reminds me of those guys in Eddie Murphy's "Harlem Nights"

Take little short breaths

LOL

...or I could be totally missing the point, some say that I do at times :)
Longreens

Honolulu, HI

#8 Sep 13, 2008
I just moved back from Seattle and I lived by a Walgreens. Everytime I went to the register the cashier would try get me to buy some kind of candy they had. The hard sell really irritated me so I stopped going there and supported the locally owned chain Bartell's. I've been to a CVS and I'd much rather have them buy Longs than Walgreens.
No DoUbT

Honolulu, HI

#9 Sep 13, 2008
Old Hawaiian wrote:
With these mainland "aquisitions" comes mainland management styles and the loss of Hawaii's "Ohana" style. For example, a Longs Drugs local supervisor working his way up for the past 12 years is not promoted because a mainland Walgreens manager takes the position. With that comes new employee and customer policies. Everything's sanitized. All the "old timers" quit.
Eventually, all the stores that are taken over look and feel like K-Mart and WallMart.
I don't think so. In order for them to bring in current management instead of promoting local, do you realize the bump in pay they would be expecting in order to move out to Hawaii to take the job? They wouldn't come.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#10 Sep 13, 2008
Mainland firms and Asian firms do not like to hire locals hon because they are sombadly educated. That has long been a fact.
yep

Honolulu, HI

#11 Sep 13, 2008
alice wrote:
Mainland firms and Asian firms do not like to hire locals hon because they are sombadly educated. That has long been a fact.
A point well taken, you local you.
(I can tell you're from here due to your typing ability)
Humane Society

Ewa Beach, HI

#12 Sep 13, 2008
yep wrote:
<quoted text>
A point well taken, you local you.
(I can tell you're from here due to your typing ability)
Yep, be kind to dumb animals. Alice is a student at UH Manoa.
Real Estate Guru 2008

Brea, CA

#13 Sep 13, 2008
Wallgreens is a major player. I would definitely prefer them over CVS. CVS has cheap, run down looking stores in California, and they are more expensive.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#14 Sep 13, 2008
grrrrrr...I am an attractive, bright north dakota scholarship student and very attentive to local events and national tragedies like Bush.

I am not criticizing locals. I am saying that they are generlaly not fired to top positions in tourism.
No DoUbT

Honolulu, HI

#15 Sep 13, 2008
alice wrote:
So why does Safeway, Longs and Don Quijote have all local boys and girls as store managers?

See, you spew diarrhea from your mouth without even thinking first.

If you were really from the Dakotas I would understand the lack of intellect. But you are an asian male so I'm quite shocked. Not.
Old Hawaiian

Wailuku, HI

#16 Sep 13, 2008
alice wrote:
Yes, it has long been known that some locals spell poorly and cannot construct complete sentences.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#17 Sep 13, 2008
It would be advisable for whoever acquires Longs Drug to keep the name. It has been an island tradition for so many years.

I agree with the stockholders as well. The asking price that CVS is offering should take into account the real estate factor. Considering that Long's Drug owns every piece of land under each store.

I'm afraid though, that Walgreens might not want to retain the name should they be successful in out-bidding CVS.
Kimo Akana

United States

#18 Sep 13, 2008
Come on folks, it's a tore? Who cares. Change can be good you know. We must embrace change, it's inevitable, it leads to growth. My old Hawaii needs it desperately. We need to change with the times and no longer be a tourism based economy and state and federal jobs program for poorly trained workers. We need to diversify the economy, a future for the younger people so they don't have to live with their parents as s or live in the multitudes of of section 8 housing all over the island. Who cares what the name is. The old Hawaiian wrote "mainland mgt style", what does that mean? A divisive comment. Why has it always been Hawaii vs the mainland. We must be progressive. I don't care where I buy my s, IT'S A TORE!:)
Walgreenser

Lincoln, NE

#19 Sep 13, 2008
Go easy on those Walgreens cashiers that are trying to sell the candy, those cashiers aren't making much and they get a few extra cents on their paycheck for each 'item of the month' they sell.
displaced local girl

La Mirada, CA

#20 Sep 13, 2008
I now live in California and frequent Walgreens often. I do like what they have to offer as a drug store most of the time. But Longs Drug Store is representative of the local life in Hawaii. Everyone waits for the ads to come out and then hit the stores. It's the people who work for Longs, the management that support the tourists and residents when placing orders for local products and the general feel of aloha when you walk into any Longs.

Yes, I did notice the change when Macy's took over Liberty House. I live across the street from a Macy's and rarely shop there. Hawaii is a special place. It requires people who understand the culture to make it successful. Good Luck to whoever acquires Longs. Take good care of her.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kaneohe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News U.S. Rep. Hirono 'getting a sense' of Iraq (Jun '08) Mar 21 AceHigh777 66
News Remembering the Kailua of old (Sep '08) Mar 18 Kaleialoha 17
Parking lot remodel and construction fence arou... Feb '17 JE interested 1
News Signs of Hawaiian Life in the Universe (May '07) Jan '17 White Supremacist 433
News The Latest: Obama kicks off New Year's Eve on g... Jan '17 Pope Closet Emeritus 29
Small Family Looking for Summer Rental Home Jan '17 Priscilla 1
News The Latest: Obama kicks off New Year's Eve on g... Jan '17 Cordwainer Trout 4

Kaneohe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kaneohe Mortgages