Walgreens to open Kalihi store - Business

Walgreens opens its Kalihi store on Saturday, with a grand opening celebration scheduled for Sunday. Full Story
craig

AOL

#1 Jan 10, 2009
If I recall wasn't there a Walgreens in Kaimuki near the old music store on Waialae back in the late 70's early 80's?
craig

AOL

#2 Jan 10, 2009
And if it was there wouldn't that officially be the first store? Albeit a failed venture at the time in.
Kitcar04

Honolulu, HI

#3 Jan 10, 2009
I like the Walgreen's store on Kapiolani. I'm gonna Love the Kalihi location even better. Open 24 hours
My kind of store.
localboi

Kaneohe, HI

#4 Jan 10, 2009
We enthusiastically visited our first Hawai'i Walgreens in Kane'ohe and came away very disappointed--Less selection of products, cramped aisles, unremarkable prices, and unorganized and slow check-out lines exacerbated by people with stacks of coupons...and then rain-check requests. Those who love coupons and have the time to spend will be happy and more power to 'em (and being open 24 hours will be a blessing for some)! As for us, we returned to Longs with a new sense of appreciation and respect.
Wilfred

Portland, OR

#5 Jan 10, 2009
I just learned that the Hawaii chapter of the "Senior Citizens Bowling Association" will be picketing this new Walgreens location. They want to protest the loss of one of their favorite places to enjoy social interaction and spirited competition.

Shame on Walgreens for robbing these poor people of their livelihood!

Walgreens official response was to offer all senior citizens a discount card for prescription drugs and a coupon for discount on a bowling ball. I'm sorry but that just doesn't make up for the loss of a bowling alley that they've patronized faithfully for many years. How's about constructing a few alleys in the back of the store for the old folks? That would be the respectful thing to do and would show that Walgreens is sensitive to the concerns of its elderly neighbors. After all, senior citizens spend a very high percentage of their income on prescription drugs which is what Walgreens makes the majority of its profits on. It's only fair that they should give back to the people that provide them the bulk of their profits.

I suggest that people BOYCOTT this Walgreens location until corporate management does the right thing and adequately compensates the senior citizens for the loss of their bowling alley. It would also be a good idea to start a writing campaign to Walgreens to let them know that this type of conduct is not appreciated and will not be tolerated in the future.
Char Siu Bao Girl

AOL

#7 Jan 10, 2009
Aloha to Walgreen's!!!!!!!!
local

United States

#9 Jan 10, 2009
Boycott Walgreens because all their present Hawaii store managers and future (w/i 3 years are all Mainlanders). Shame on you Walgreens, you folks are putting down the local talent. I believe, Walgreens just wants to take our money and not give back to the community. Shame Shame Shame on you Walgreens. I hope many locals shop elsewhere.
curious

Honolulu, HI

#10 Jan 10, 2009
craig wrote:
If I recall wasn't there a Walgreens in Kaimuki near the old music store on Waialae back in the late 70's early 80's?
I think that was Stewart's Pharmacy.

Since: Dec 08

Haleiwa town

#11 Jan 10, 2009
Once again if it is not local it must be wrong! Get over people, stop acting like a 5 year old! boohoo I going to take my ball and go home!
FrugalConsumer

Honolulu, HI

#12 Jan 10, 2009
localboi wrote:
We enthusiastically visited our first Hawai'i Walgreens in Kane'ohe and came away very disappointed--Less selection of products, cramped aisles, unremarkable prices, and unorganized and slow check-out lines exacerbated by people with stacks of coupons...and then rain-check requests. Those who love coupons and have the time to spend will be happy and more power to 'em (and being open 24 hours will be a blessing for some)! As for us, we returned to Longs with a new sense of appreciation and respect.
Yea, whatever. Complaining about coupons that give you a lower price? At least be more convincing than that if you're going to troll around!
KonaGirl

Kailua Kona, HI

#13 Jan 10, 2009
I think Walgreens will be an asset to Hawaii, there will be no monopoly because of it.
curious

Honolulu, HI

#14 Jan 10, 2009
FrugalConsumer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, whatever. Complaining about coupons that give you a lower price? At least be more convincing than that if you're going to troll around!
no. he was complaining about the time it takes to redeem them, and then getting rainchecks for the out of stock items. why have coupons? just make all the prices a few cents lower than Longs.
R in 96817

Ewa Beach, HI

#15 Jan 11, 2009
I admit, that I always wait for Sunday and Wednesday's Longs Ads to look for stuff that I don't need but I'll buy it anyway which is typical of local mantra.
If Walgreens has equal inventory as Longs and the prices are comparable, then maybe I'll be curious enough to park my car in their lot and buy stuff there. Now we have a choice.
The only bummer of thought is that I'll miss Kam Bowl.
Stumpy

Kaneohe, HI

#16 Jan 11, 2009
Arguing over which store to buy the same old cheaply made, poor quality, Chinese-made junk and trinkets at premium prices just doesn't make sense. Just pick a store close to home, they are all selling the same inferior goods.
lat1

Kailua Kona, HI

#17 Oct 21, 2010
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
no. he was complaining about the time it takes to redeem them, and then getting rainchecks for the out of stock items. why have coupons? just make all the prices a few cents lower than Longs.
I understand that new businesses can be unfamiliar to people and it is hard to change. It adds to the islands growing diversity and this can only make things better. For myself having had the opportunity to have worked & shopped at both of these stores, I feel there is enough customers to go around. As for the rainchecks this happens at most department stores in the islands because items are brought in from the mainland and elswhere. As for the extra items that Longs Drugs carries vs. Walgreens, well lets just try to keep in mind that these are pharmacys. I feel like Walgreens wants to continue & improve upon their role in the healthcare industry. Don't be surprised if in the near future you see a change in a sign that reads CVS instead of Longs Drugs, since they have already purchased the stores on all the islands. Change happens.
alice

Kaneohe, HI

#18 Oct 21, 2010
great to hear it
BorisBadenoff

Honolulu, HI

#20 Oct 21, 2010
By the way *Splat*

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kaneohe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) 9 hr Amos 61,917
Holiday Greeting: LCR Troy Dotson Dec 13 MOMIN ANSARI 1
Items left by homeless campers removed from Kan... Dec 6 Guru 2
Mayor Caldwell signs Expansion of 'Sit-Lie' Bill Dec 2 Joe Balls 2
Zara, Uniqlo actively looking at Hawaii retail ... Oct '14 Joe Balls 1
Vacation rentals not the culprit in Laie woes -... (Sep '09) Oct '14 Jack 27
Bruce Milles (Sep '08) Sep '14 POLIAHU 41
Kaneohe Dating
Find my Match

Kaneohe People Search