Farmers feel parched by isles' dry we...

Farmers feel parched by isles' dry weather

There are 13 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jun 7, 2008, titled Farmers feel parched by isles' dry weather. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

From the slopes of Haleakala on Maui to the fields of Kamuela on the Big Island, farmers are seeing dry weather due to a lack of tradewinds and tradewind showers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Subsidies

San Diego, CA

#1 Jun 7, 2008
Just get government funding and you will be just fine!
Truth3456

Kailua Kona, HI

#2 Jun 7, 2008
The weather is changing, however weather is cyclical. In Hilo we barely had sun for almost all of December and the last 2 weeks of January and February we had the monster rain event that peaked Super Bowl weekend. The it didn't rain for 5 weeks from that rain event until middle of March.For 2nd straight year we had a very dry May similar to last year.It didn't rain at night like it usually does during these dry periods, but during the rainy periods it rained very hard for all of December and end January to early May.One thing is for sure, it will be very dry and hot this summer. It was in upper 80's from February to middle of March or as I call it ''Indian Summer". So, I knew we were in for it this summer if it was that hot in early spring.
Limu Farmer

Kapolei, HI

#3 Jun 7, 2008
With The rise in the oceans I am moving my Seaweed farm (Limu) up to Kula Maui where I will be safe from rising sea levels.
96795east

Hilo, HI

#4 Jun 8, 2008
Placing mulch around the base of your plants may slow the rate of drying by cooling the ground around it. Mulch can retain water a little bit longer.
Dennis

San Francisco, CA

#5 Jun 8, 2008
Note: Below is a real question, not a comment on Hawaiian farmers.

Greenhouse hydroponic farms use far less water. Also with the price of fertilizers and pesticides getting so high, hydroponic systems can recycle all the chemicals used and fully contain pollutants which should offer cost saving. The produce output is much greater and the quality is better. The climate in Hawaii is ideal, requiring little temperature control related energy to be spent to maintain the greenhouse temperature.

I'm curious why Hawaiian farmers are not more actively seeking this alternative to traditional farming. I realize the initial investment and technology involved, but in the long run wouldn't you be better off?
flip

Honolulu, HI

#6 Jun 8, 2008
we no got that hydropone here. We mo interested in race and gangbanging. Mo bettah we get da food from Luzon.
96795east

Hilo, HI

#7 Jun 8, 2008
Dennis wrote:
Note: Below is a real question, not a comment on Hawaiian farmers.
Greenhouse hydroponic farms use far less water. Also with the price of fertilizers and pesticides getting so high, hydroponic systems can recycle all the chemicals used and fully contain pollutants which should offer cost saving. The produce output is much greater and the quality is better. The climate in Hawaii is ideal, requiring little temperature control related energy to be spent to maintain the greenhouse temperature.
I'm curious why Hawaiian farmers are not more actively seeking this alternative to traditional farming. I realize the initial investment and technology involved, but in the long run wouldn't you be better off?
Hydroponics is viable, I have seen it. This system may also be constructed vertically, which reduces your real estate requirements. What this means is that it may also be set up in an urban environment. This system may, perhaps, be operational within a financial district. The only downside is that this sounds very pro development. As its need for expansive land is lessened, this sounds like an affirmative support for more homes and larger urban centers with greater water requirements.
Mahu

United States

#8 Jun 8, 2008
Limu Farmer wrote:
With The rise in the oceans I am moving my Seaweed farm (Limu) up to Kula Maui where I will be safe from rising sea levels.
Right, your limu going drown because get to much ocean! You're a knucklehead.

You probably don't even own a seaweed farm. You got mold in your bathtub.
Ooo_Whee

Hilo, HI

#9 Jun 8, 2008
Limu Farmer wrote:
Limu mixed with Onions? Hmmmmmmm!
Sauteed kula onions are already used with limu to flavor Poke'.
popoki

San Diego, CA

#10 Jun 14, 2008
The dry weather did have good timimg. This year was real good for Kula Onion harvests. The rains hit when the seedings were young!

“4 "Blondie"”

Since: Nov 07

;-) @>--;--

#11 Jun 14, 2008
Climate control!!! Release them particles!!!!!
popoki

San Diego, CA

#12 Jun 14, 2008
Home networking actually. I use a HYTN phone and keyboard more than the truck. Go juice is getting too expensive! Those Kula Onions are really tasty.
bigislebob

Honolulu, HI

#13 Oct 23, 2008
If the State had moved quicker to repair the damaged reserviors in WAIMEA (the only Kamuela in Waimea is the post office) on HAWAII (island), this would not be an issue for Waimea. We get lots of rain in Waimea. But with little to catch and hold it,we have a "shortage". Three cheers for the usual myoptic dysfunctional State bureaucracy whose highest priority is raises for lawmakers and not critical infrastructure needs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kamuela Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Despite recent downpours, rainfall down signifi... (Apr '15) Nov 26 Tua Tua isa foa 12
kona helicopter lets one million people die.jul... Oct '16 hawaiiheli 1
glen hara considered legally insane as is his s... Sep '16 MELODY PARKER CARS 1
ricky roy damerville being sued by fbi collage ... Sep '16 ricky damerville ... 1
san francisco fbi collage recruiter sueing rick... Sep '16 ricky damerville ... 1
have you seen jason skiier car dealer at hawaii... Sep '16 ricky damerville 1
Review: DR. Stover's Cosmetic Centers Of Hawaii (Apr '14) Apr '14 Potentail Patient 1

Kamuela Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kamuela Mortgages