Hawaii astronomers would find listeni...

Hawaii astronomers would find listening better than arguing - G...

There are 2 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Apr 8, 2009, titled Hawaii astronomers would find listening better than arguing - G.... In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

This year has been declared the International Year of Astronomy. I am an amateur astronomer and I hope the Big Island of Hawaii will continue to be the world's premier center for astronomy research.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

“Kokokahi -We are all one blood”

Since: Mar 08

Kaneohe, HI

#1 Apr 8, 2009
Ryan says "Mauna Kea is part of the ceded lands. That means it legally belongs to the Hawaiian people." If "Hawaiian" is used as the name of a race, that's false. The U.S. Supreme Court has just said it is false.

Ryan says "Ceded lands are administered under a trust by the University of Hawaii for the benefit of native Hawaiians." That's false. The ceded lands are for the benefit of all the people of Hawaii.

Ryan says: "Mauna Kea is sacred to the host culture, just as Mount Olive is sacred to Christians." Well, isn't every inch of land sacred to ethnic Hawaiians? But somehow life goes on, and even ethnic Hawaiians trash the environment along with everyone else.

I have thoroughly and very respectfully explained WHY Mauna Kea is a sacred place, and why doing astronomy there is a fulfillment of the sacred essence of that very special place. Please see

"How the telescope campus on Mauna Kea serves the spiritual essence of this sacred place in accord with Hawaiian creation legend; why testimony from Hawaiian sovereignty activists should be discounted in view of their motives" at
http://tinyurl.com/4fhkx
Skeptic

Ewa Beach, HI

#2 Apr 8, 2009
Ken Conklin wrote:
Ryan says "Mauna Kea is part of the ceded lands. That means it legally belongs to the Hawaiian people." If "Hawaiian" is used as the name of a race, that's false. The U.S. Supreme Court has just said it is false.
Ryan says "Ceded lands are administered under a trust by the University of Hawaii for the benefit of native Hawaiians." That's false. The ceded lands are for the benefit of all the people of Hawaii.
Ryan says: "Mauna Kea is sacred to the host culture, just as Mount Olive is sacred to Christians." Well, isn't every inch of land sacred to ethnic Hawaiians? But somehow life goes on, and even ethnic Hawaiians trash the environment along with everyone else.
I have thoroughly and very respectfully explained WHY Mauna Kea is a sacred place, and why doing astronomy there is a fulfillment of the sacred essence of that very special place. Please see
"How the telescope campus on Mauna Kea serves the spiritual essence of this sacred place in accord with Hawaiian creation legend; why testimony from Hawaiian sovereignty activists should be discounted in view of their motives" at
http://tinyurl.com/4fhkx
Seems like every place any institution is trying to use for some purpose, scientific, military, commercial, transportation or public use is somehow "sacred".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kamuela Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Despite recent downpours, rainfall down signifi... (Apr '15) Nov '16 Tua Tua isa foa 12
kona helicopter lets one million people die.jul... (Oct '16) Oct '16 hawaiiheli 1
glen hara considered legally insane as is his s... (Sep '16) Sep '16 MELODY PARKER CARS 1
ricky roy damerville being sued by fbi collage ... (Sep '16) Sep '16 ricky damerville ... 1
san francisco fbi collage recruiter sueing rick... (Sep '16) Sep '16 ricky damerville ... 1
have you seen jason skiier car dealer at hawaii... (Sep '16) Sep '16 ricky damerville 1
Review: DR. Stover's Cosmetic Centers Of Hawaii (Apr '14) Apr '14 Potentail Patient 1

Kamuela Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kamuela Mortgages