Ten-year-old Michigan Boy Loses Arm I...

Ten-year-old Michigan Boy Loses Arm In Pit Bull Attack

There are 9 comments on the Freerepublic.com story from Jul 29, 2008, titled Ten-year-old Michigan Boy Loses Arm In Pit Bull Attack. In it, Freerepublic.com reports that:

A 10-year-old boy is recovering after a pit bull attack left him with injuries so severe that he had to have his arm amputated.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Freerepublic.com.

joleen

Saint Joe, IN

#1 Jul 30, 2008
You people, I tell you what, a 10 year old boy lost his arm because a dog bite him, and all anyone can talk about is the breed of the dog. who cares people. any dog can bite any dog can be the nicest and then snap. If you want to ban a certain breed of dog I guess you better ban them all. Give a little consideration.
Sarah

Kalamazoo, MI

#2 Jul 30, 2008
I agree, I have two American Pit Bull Terriers and they are great. In this case my question is how was this animal raised? Did he show any aggression towards people? It is important for people to know that Pit Bulls require a lot of attention. They need lots of exercise and discipline along with love. People are very ignorant and think that Pit Bulls are so bad. If they get the exercise and socialization they need things are usually ok. I was just reading in the news paper about a 2 month old who was killed by a Labrador retriever. So are we going to start banning them. My family had a problem with their lab and had to put it down. It kept attacking everyone in the family at random times and hurting both my parents. He would just snap at random times. I truly believe its the personality of the dog and their level of aggression. I bet that this family had a sign that the dog had some issues before this. If so the dog should have been caged if an adult wasn't present. Do not blame American Pit Bull Terriers as they are not the problem. Its people like Mike Vick and people who buy dogs (Pit bulls) and aren't responsible and they end up not having a good home. Thus turning into something they shouldn't. It's people who don't know how to train a Pit and people who don't know what they are getting into and abandon them in any way. Meaning leave them inside all day and don't walk, run or play with them. This creates frustration and that can create aggression if you don't exercise them. We play outside with our dogs off leash for about 15-20 min about 3-4 times a day. They are fit and happy. They fetch and stay with us because they are trained. People are amazed by our dogs because they are so well behaved yet others are afraid of them because they are intimidating. Education is the only way to get past this problem.
Dee

Troy, MI

#3 Oct 7, 2008
I own a animal grooming shop in the metro area. Id rather do a pit bull, rotty, doberman, or mastif. Its the small dogs that are the bitters when you own a grooming shop. Ask any groomer what kind of dogs they would rather not groom. In my area we dont want to do cockers, Lasha apso, and forget about the little chi or poms. I welcome anyone to come see my pits and rottys. But just try to pet my little yorkie and she will take your hand off. Judge every dog seperately. Its bad dog parents that are the problem. Not the breed
Sarah h

Portage, MI

#4 Jul 23, 2009
I love my pit Charlie and it is true some breeds are agressive, but I believe it is the way you raise an animals and we cannot judge an animal by the breed, but we can judge the owner teaching it the wrong ways. Our dog is beautiful inside and out and I have never been one to buy a pit, but he fell into our hands and I wouldnt by any other type of dog now, it was very unfortunate what that little boy went through , but we cannot judge the breed
Elkhart Resident

Elkhart, IN

#5 Aug 26, 2009
To all of you dog lovers... the dog is the victim, right? You are all very lost. That dog should be shot and you foolish people should seek counsling.
firebug13

Kansas City, KS

#6 Jan 14, 2010
i have a red nose pit and she is one of the best dog i have ever had.like they said you cant just band one breed.
tony

Rockford, MI

#7 Jan 31, 2011
I also have a beautiful pit bull red nose his pic is my myspace profile pic that's how much i love him but if he ever shown aggression at any child i would not think twice about putting him down
Go Blue

Lake Worth, FL

#8 Jan 31, 2011
joleen wrote:
You people, I tell you what, a 10 year old boy lost his arm because a dog bite him, and all anyone can talk about is the breed of the dog. who cares people. any dog can bite any dog can be the nicest and then snap. If you want to ban a certain breed of dog I guess you better ban them all. Give a little consideration.
Ban them all?...rediculous!!!!.....Dade county, down here, banned all pitbull breeds, years ago and they have lessened the dog bite problems greatly....it's both the breed and the clowns who own them.....ban them countywide.....
john

Gary, IN

#9 Jun 17, 2012
Dee wrote:
I own a animal grooming shop in the metro area. Id rather do a pit bull, rotty, doberman, or mastif. Its the small dogs that are the bitters when you own a grooming shop. Ask any groomer what kind of dogs they would rather not groom. In my area we dont want to do cockers, Lasha apso, and forget about the little chi or poms. I welcome anyone to come see my pits and rottys. But just try to pet my little yorkie and she will take your hand off. Judge every dog seperately. Its bad dog parents that are the problem. Not the breed
youre an idiot then. if they get all the love they need they are 'usually' ok is not good enough for me. how is it fair to the kids on my street if a neighbor has a mean pitbull who sometimes gets loose. its not fair. and im sorry, but no i wouldnt be scared if it was a poodle on the loose. pit bulls are stronger than humans and do you have any idea how many pounds per sq inch of pressure their jaws can clench? you might have a nice pit and thats fine.. youre a great owner, or you like to argue but for all of the bad ones out their, its not fair for us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kalamazoo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News LGBT group asks Civil Rights Commission for leg... Aug 15 Gremlin 4
News Signs from Kalamazoo rally denounce KKK, neo-Na... Aug 15 Rick 1
News Construction has few blacks, report says (Aug '07) Aug 3 Fun Facts 635
News Grievance filed over mowing goats at university... Jul 24 Faith 2
Will Mattawan ever get broadband high speed int... (Oct '07) Jul '17 East Point Dr 57
Michigan Career and Technical Institute Jul '17 John 1
News Poll: Would you support medical marijuana? (Mar '08) Jul '17 Stephy 26

Kalamazoo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kalamazoo Mortgages