Review of The Sports Forum Restaurant...

Review of The Sports Forum Restaurant on Mosel St. in Kalamazoo, Michigan

Posted in the Kalamazoo Forum

Disgusted Customer

Battle Creek, MI

#1 Dec 27, 2008
I had a $25 certificate from restaurant.com to visit the sports forum 12-27-08. I brought a friend. We each had the ribs and shrimp plate and a pop. My friend asked to have onion rings substituted for his fries, which the waitress said OK to, and I had the "ranch fries". I had seafood soup, and he had coleslaw. The meal also came with one piece of white bread toast cut in half each.

The soup was ok, tasted like it was maybe home made? The onion rings were large but very greasy? The shrimp was frozen then deep fried and they were pretty ok. The ribs were terrible. They tasted like they had been boiled for a few hours then put in the microwave to reheat, then a drizzle of barbecue sauce squirted on them. My ranch fries were inedible. They tasted like frozen fries that were deep fried then dipped in ranch flavored salt. Each fry was completely covered with salt! Horrible.

When it came time to pay up, they charged $6 for the onion rings even though they said there would be no extra charge. When I asked about it, I was told that they said she had to charge for them. She should have warned me and I would not have done it. They also added an 18% tip on bringing the total with tax to $51.00! I'm so glad I had the $25 gift certificate, but even so I never would have paid $25 even for that quality of food.

I strongly recommend avoiding the Sports Forum in Kalamazoo Michigan even if you can buy a restaurant.com certificate for cheap.
Disgusted Customer

Battle Creek, MI

#2 Dec 28, 2008
I forgot to mention the waitress dropped my silverware rolled in a napkin on the floor, picked it up and gave it to me. The fork's eating end was sticking out and probably was poking into the carpet. So gross.
Awesome Service

Litchfield, MI

#3 Feb 25, 2009
On Feb 20th six Friends and myself went to the Sports Forum for dinner, and we were almost seated immediately. The waitress was very friendly and told us her name was Melissa. We were impressed by her service and the attention she gave us. Three of us ordered the steak special, two had the 10oz sirloin and the rest had the fried perch. The steaks were cooked perfectly and came to our table sizzling. The perch was vary fresh and quite tasty. Some of us also had the best seafood chowder around. a couple of my Friends sampled the chowder and said they agreed that it was awesome. If I where going to recommend a good restaurant the sports forum would be high on my list.
New Regular Customer

Litchfield, MI

#4 Feb 26, 2009
I recently went to the Sports Forum for the first time. I have never been to a more diverse establishment. Formal dining, banquet room, and a separate bar that felt like I was on the show "Cheers". I have since become a repeat customer, and yes, they already know my name!! Sometimes I just stop for a drink, other times for appetizers and/or dinner. Great service, great food, great fun!!
Specials are Cool

Litchfield, MI

#5 Feb 27, 2009
I have been going to the Sports Forum for 3 years. You gotta check out all the daily specials! 8-10 different wild drinks that change every day---great prices. Long Island pitchers for only $10!!! We college students gotta budget!! LOL.
Enjoying Himself

United States

#6 Mar 3, 2009
I had the opportunity to go to dinner with my family of 6 (all adults) and thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. Everyone had different meals and they all felt the portion sizes was adequate and tasted delicious. The dining room was smoke free which was a plus. I walked through all the room and was impressed that each had a fireplace and its own character and design. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.
Visiting parent

United States

#7 Mar 3, 2009
My husband & his parents just did a "mini-vacation" in Kalamazoo -- our son is a student at Western. He told us about the Sports Forum, so we checked it out..never got further. Wednesday we ate dinner, then shot pool for free! Thursday, we loved the walleye and shrimp scampi, then stayed for the euchre tournament. Friday, our son came with us. We all had the $9.95 sizzler steak (I am a filet mignon fan) which was out of this world!! Then we were there till midnight in the bar singing karaoke! Semi-formal dining, separate bar, activities & specials nightly....Wow. We had a blast at the Forum.
Jim and Maxine Cole

Kalamazoo, MI

#8 Mar 16, 2011
We have been coming to the Sports Forum for over 10 years and it continues to be our favorite restaurant.
Our favorites are of course the Onion Rings which are the best by far in Kalamazoo (suggest ordering Original Rings), the steak of any kind is always outstanding - we like the Rib Eye or the Steak Sizzler - always is cooked the way it is ordered - the John Potatoes are outstanding to say the least, garlic bread is great and I like the Calamari for the appetizer - it is almost a meal and is unique - it is great to say the least.
The service is very very good -

You will not go wrong

The Angus Burger is also exceptional with fries and of course the beer!!

We would not continue to go to Johns Sports Forum for all this time if was not good as they have a lot of competition.
Gary Thomas

Kalamazoo, MI

#9 Jul 20, 2011
I find it hard to believe that you did not get an excellent meal(s). I have eaten there many times and it is always great and so was the service.
Disgusted Customer wrote:
I had a $25 certificate from restaurant.com to visit the sports forum 12-27-08. I brought a friend. We each had the ribs and shrimp plate and a pop. My friend asked to have onion rings substituted for his fries, which the waitress said OK to, and I had the "ranch fries". I had seafood soup, and he had coleslaw. The meal also came with one piece of white bread toast cut in half each.
The soup was ok, tasted like it was maybe home made? The onion rings were large but very greasy? The shrimp was frozen then deep fried and they were pretty ok. The ribs were terrible. They tasted like they had been boiled for a few hours then put in the microwave to reheat, then a drizzle of barbecue sauce squirted on them. My ranch fries were inedible. They tasted like frozen fries that were deep fried then dipped in ranch flavored salt. Each fry was completely covered with salt! Horrible.
When it came time to pay up, they charged $6 for the onion rings even though they said there would be no extra charge. When I asked about it, I was told that they said she had to charge for them. She should have warned me and I would not have done it. They also added an 18% tip on bringing the total with tax to $51.00! I'm so glad I had the $25 gift certificate, but even so I never would have paid $25 even for that quality of food.
I strongly recommend avoiding the Sports Forum in Kalamazoo Michigan even if you can buy a restaurant.com certificate for cheap.
Gary Thomas

Kalamazoo, MI

#10 Jul 20, 2011
With food and service this good, why would you go any where else? Well, maybe sometimes, but it is a great place to eat and meet new people that are always fun.
Gary Thomas

Kalamazoo, MI

#11 Jul 20, 2011
Wa wa wa, glad I did not go with you. Probably wanted to double your coupons too.
Disgusted Customer wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kalamazoo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump for President, He will win. watch Thu uncle Jed 1
Will Mattawan ever get broadband high speed int... (Oct '07) Aug 23 Higgz 47
Rae Sills - Artist (Nov '06) Aug 21 Kwein 7
Why are you folks in Michigan so RUDE for? (Dec '10) Aug 4 Pengu 45
Any Fathers Out There Jul '16 Miupnorf 1
jack elliott Jun '16 ? 1
Review: Spring Lake Campground (Aug '09) Jun '16 Tom 247

Kalamazoo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance