Amtrak train hits pedestrian

Amtrak train hits pedestrian

There are 13 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Apr 15, 2009, titled Amtrak train hits pedestrian. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

A person has been injured after being hit by an Amtrak train. The incident occurred around 4 p.m. Wednesday in the downtown Kalamazoo area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

Get Smakelijk

Buckley, MI

#1 Apr 15, 2009
When will people realize that Train vs. Person ... the train always wins?

Thoughts and prayers are obviously with the family- what a horrible tragedy!
jenn

Kalamazoo, MI

#2 Apr 15, 2009
This isn't the first time. Interested in seeing if the person had earphones in or if they were suicidal. Either way, it's too bad. There have been a few train accidents at that intersection.

“Russian ties?”

Since: Mar 09

Grandville, MI

#3 Apr 15, 2009
Trains,... Train tracks ....
Trains just dont sneak out of nowhere!
99% of the time, they run on "train Tracks"
It's not really that hard to figure out!

I'm sorry, I do feel bad for the family.
And didnt mean to be mean.
CHOO CHOO

United States

#4 Apr 15, 2009
Not to sound uncompassionate about the families loss, but anyone getting hit by a train 99% of the time deserves it. Really I don't care if someone has headphones on or not, your walking on RAILROAD TRACKS what rides on railroad tracks, A TRAIN. That is just as stupid as if you went to a firing range and walked in front of the targets as people were firing at them, DUH. I hope there isn't some long investigation wasting time and money. I gues the real question would be was it suicide or just plain STUPIDITY.
Another Opinion

Zeeland, MI

#5 Apr 15, 2009
jenn wrote:
This isn't the first time. Interested in seeing if the person had earphones in or if they were suicidal. Either way, it's too bad. There have been a few train accidents at that intersection.
I also I'm wondering if they had ear phones on. I use to walk the tracks all the time as a kid (my parents would of killed me in they knew. You can hear a train well before it is any near you, not to mention you can generally feel the vibrations before you see the train if you are walking on the track itself.

If I remember correctly this is in a busier part of town. Maybe it is not so obviouse when the train is coming, plus Amtrak travels so much faster.

I hope more details are reported as to what happened.
Nathan

Jackson, MI

#6 Apr 15, 2009
CHOO CHOO wrote:
Not to sound uncompassionate about the families loss, but anyone getting hit by a train 99% of the time deserves it. Really I don't care if someone has headphones on or not, your walking on RAILROAD TRACKS what rides on railroad tracks, A TRAIN. That is just as stupid as if you went to a firing range and walked in front of the targets as people were firing at them, DUH. I hope there isn't some long investigation wasting time and money. I gues the real question would be was it suicide or just plain STUPIDITY.
I agree. What is wrong with people? Walking on railroad tracks without paying attention is the same thing as walking directly into motor vehicle traffic on the street without looking - it's just common sense that you cannot do this. This is not Amtrak's fault whatsoever.
MrAtlanta

Hayward, CA

#7 Apr 15, 2009
not much info to make a comment on this story.

Since: Jan 09

United States

#8 Apr 15, 2009
High speed train area. Signs posted all over. Please stay off the tracks. It is the law. You can not walk on railroad property. For everyones safety stay away.
Lions 1959

Grand Rapids, MI

#9 Apr 15, 2009
It is so sad to read about the loss of life - however trains always have the righ tof way - look at a RR crossing - the crossing signs are for the cars, not for the trains - they can't stop - cars can and people need to stay off the tracks
Jeffrey Alan Messer

Kalamazoo, MI

#10 Apr 16, 2009
"This isn't the first time."

Indeed not. There was another recently in Comstock, immediately east of Kalamazoo.

"There have been a few train accidents at that intersection."

Not recently. I think you are thinking of the now closed intersection at Old Michigan Avenue, next to Jimmy Johns Gourmet Subs. There were a few deaths at that much busier multiple intersection before they were closed a few years ago.

"If I remember correctly this is in a busier part of town."

Sort of. This is not an especially busy intersection, compared to others, as traffic only goes one way, up the hill behind Kalamazoo College (not to be confused with Academy Street, which runs through the middle of K-College. This crossing is about a half mile west of the train station.

"Maybe it is not so obviouse when the train is coming, plus Amtrak travels so much faster."

Not true. The City of Kalamazoo has a maximum 35 m.p.h. speed limit on all trains. Further, I imagine the train was only going about 20 m.p.h. at the time of the incident since it had just left the train station.

"High speed train area."

Not true. There is a maximum train speed of 35 miles per hour in City of Kalamazoo limits. High speed rail does not begin until Oshtemo Township about 2.5 miles west of the accident scene.

"Signs posted all over."

High speed rail signs can not be found within the City of Kalamazoo as travel over 35 m.p.h. is prohibited by city ordinance. The first high speed rail sign for this route going west is at S. Drake Road in Oshtemo Township, where the two rails narrow down to one.

"Please stay off the tracks. It is the law."

I don't know about that, but it is definately trespassing and signs stating such are abundant.
Leila

United States

#11 Apr 16, 2009
This person was actually fairly well known in the downtown Kzoo area. He was disabled.
Drew

Kalamazoo, MI

#12 Apr 20, 2009
Was this person mentally disabled? I'd say I'm sorry but I'm not. You walk on train tracks, you lose.

And for all of you people saying you're sorry for the person's family's loss, HE'S NOT DEAD. Injury does not mean death.

Gawd people, read the article before making asinine comments on it.
Mom in Jenison

Westminster, CO

#13 Apr 20, 2009
Nathan wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. What is wrong with people? Walking on railroad tracks without paying attention is the same thing as walking directly into motor vehicle traffic on the street without looking - it's just common sense that you cannot do this. This is not Amtrak's fault whatsoever.
Same as people who park on the tracks at a red light. If a train comes, where do they think they're going to go?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kalamazoo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local 90s song about Kalamazoo Mon Guest 2
dollar general employee abuse (Jul '12) Mon Resident 8
News Al Capone's West Michigan ties: Fact or fun-fic... (Jan '06) Oct 4 Bgnbbl4l 830
Why are you folks in Michigan so RUDE for? (Dec '10) Sep 24 Gale Lee 54
News LGBT group asks Civil Rights Commission for leg... Aug '17 Gremlin 4
News Signs from Kalamazoo rally denounce KKK, neo-Na... Aug '17 Rick 1
News Construction has few blacks, report says (Aug '07) Aug '17 Fun Facts 635

Kalamazoo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kalamazoo Mortgages