Review: Spring Lake Campground
ddolph

Farmington, MI

#186 Aug 2, 2013
for all you people that love it, I have an unlimited gold membership free to anyone that will pay the transfer fee.
let me know [email protected]
Diame

Eighty Four, PA

#187 Aug 6, 2013
Wondering if any members of SLC know that we are not allowed to use the "sister" campgrounds for free any longer That was one of the reasons we bought into the campground. We have contacted an attorney to see if we have any recourse. I feel the value of our membership is hit rock bottom.
camper girl

United States

#188 Aug 9, 2013
You can still use the Michigan parks and New York, but Gettysburg you cant. When they moved to ROD some of the parks changed. But if upgrade to ROD, its free to use all of those still. Its worth it if you plan on spending a week at any of the other parks.
ddolph

Farmington, MI

#189 Aug 9, 2013
ddolph wrote:
for all you people that love it, I have an unlimited gold membership free to anyone that will pay the transfer fee.
let me know [email protected]
Doesn't anyone want to take me up on this?
Campers, members don't you have friends or family that would like a lifetime gold membership for just the transfer fee, that is practically free?
Julie

Loveland, CO

#190 Aug 23, 2013
Diame wrote:
Wondering if any members of SLC know that we are not allowed to use the "sister" campgrounds for free any longer That was one of the reasons we bought into the campground. We have contacted an attorney to see if we have any recourse. I feel the value of our membership is hit rock bottom.
We have just found out the same information and as you we only acquired this membership so we could use the Outdoor Adventure Park in Davison.
Aburi

Bellevue, MI

#191 Aug 28, 2013
We went over to check out the 'Sister Camps' and when we got there we were informed that we no longer can use them. We have been members for about 9 years and they have not done any updates. If anything, it has gone down.
Laurie

South Haven, MI

#192 Oct 10, 2013
Bought our membership at Spring Lake Resort in 2012 after going on a tour at this point we did not even own a RV. We were told some lies when we joined. The sales man told us about the free sister parks that we could go to and one of them being in Hartford Michigan, which we thought would be great, because it is closer to our home. My husband even told the sale man that. However, after we drove over to the campground in Hartford a few weeks later we learned that the place had a fire a few years ago, so our sale's man just so happened decided not to tell us that. We were told we could bring in our own golf putters and balls not costing us anything to play, but then we were stopped by a worker. Was told we could use the club house for a get together with a $100 deposit and after you cleaned up you got your money back, but then we were told that the owner no longer does that. We bought an RV and camped for the first time in October 2012 for their Halloween event. Had a wonderful time. My husband and I had went to Davidson this last winter one of the sister parks for a tour and we were told that the Spring Lake Resort was not even going to open this year. My husband and I were really concerned, but after going there in the spring they were still open and doing their sales pitches. We stayed in the spring and in July. We heard more horrible stories from life long members realizing they told us more lies. In August, I called to reserve a place to stay for their Halloween weekend even and found out that the park was closing a week earlier this year and there would only be trick or treating and a bomb fire no other activities. WOW when we got to the park we were told we could no longer use the other sister parks in Michigan because of a divorce in the family. This really upset us, because to me they broke their contract with us. That weekend we heard horrible stories about how the campground is behind in county and state taxes for over $15,000 that it is going up for sale. That no one even really knows who the real owners are and that the electric was being shut off on October 1, 2013 so that is why they are closing early. Then I was asked how I made my reservations? I told them I called in August. They told me that the telephone was shut off two weeks ago, per customers request. Excuse me what customer is going to ask a business to have their telephone shut off. Unless it is one of the workers that are customers staying there for free. Was told that all of the sales people were let go and the only person working was the one signing us in. I really hate to see this park close partly with the money I invested in it last year thinking that I could past this down to my children and grandchildren. It may not be the best up kept place, but we did enjoy meeting new people and camping. We were never campers until we got a phone call to go on a tour of the campground. Now all I can think about is what will happen next and do I have any right?
Camper girl

Caledonia, MI

#193 Nov 2, 2013
Yes, we heard a lot of the same things you did. The divorce is not just in the family - it is the couple who own the property, and unfortunately the lake got in the middle, thus cutting a lot of things back. The divorce should be final over the winter. The husband is getting it in the settlement, but it is her family that owns most of the other parks. Yes, the employees were laid off, but most of them stayed on and continued to work regardless. They are all members, just like you and me, and they do not want anything to happen to the park either. We were one of the last ones to pull out of there this year, and we spend a lot of time there, and know most of the workers, some have become very good friends, and as of right now, they all plan on being back in there come May 1st, just like we will :)
Mark norgren

Savannah, GA

#194 Dec 10, 2013
bill and betty wilson wrote:
we have been members of american campgrounds(spring lake resort) since the beginning, 1994
shame on you for writing such an un-informed commentary. mabe if you had actually used the resort and tried it out befor you cancled your membership you might have found out that this is a wonderful company. they have done every thing that they have prommised us members. New Swimming Pools, Bath Houses, Putt Putt Golf. new sewer system, and the are currently construction 150 new sites.shame on you for your negativ view of something you obviously dont know anything about
I'm Mark I've been a member from the 90s but I camp at sister campgrounds but as of July Outdoor Adventure would not let us camp at their grounds. So I tryed to call American Campgrounds and I can't get a hold of anybody except sales people. I am trying to get a hold of anybody so I can sue for breach of contract.
kng

Allegan, MI

#195 Jan 1, 2014
Mark norgren wrote:
<quoted text> I'm Mark I've been a member from the 90s but I camp at sister campgrounds but as of July Outdoor Adventure would not let us camp at their grounds. So I tryed to call American Campgrounds and I can't get a hold of anybody except sales people. I am trying to get a hold of anybody so I can sue for breach of contract.
Looking for assistance. We are getting collection notices for our "annual" dues. The collection agency is unaware that this company is unreachable. Since having the membership, May 2010, we have not been able to use it anywhere! BBB has F ratings and there are about 4 different names connected to this purchase. Any information would be helpful!
Laurie

South Haven, MI

#196 Jan 1, 2014
Mark norgren wrote:
<quoted text> I'm Mark I've been a member from the 90s but I camp at sister campgrounds but as of July Outdoor Adventure would not let us camp at their grounds. So I tryed to call American Campgrounds and I can't get a hold of anybody except sales people. I am trying to get a hold of anybody so I can sue for breach of contract.
Did you have any luck in contacting anyone?
Unhappy Member

Warren, MI

#197 Jan 18, 2014
We've been a member for 10 years and have not been to Kalamzoo Park in 9 years. We decided to go Oct. 2013 and called for reservation.
Answering machine was all I could reach...finally got New York Park and explained the situation....they stated the park was open and just to go. Since it is over a 3 hour drive we decided not to take a chance. Have left emails asking if park is still open - never heard back.

WHAT POOR CUSTOMER SEVICE TO A MEMBER WHO HAS CONTINUED TO PAY ANNUAL DUES FOR OVER 10 YEARS.
Kathy

Shepherd, MI

#198 Feb 6, 2014
Do you have an active email address or phone number for them ? I have been trying to get in touch with them for about a month now. The # that I find no longer works.
Laurie

Benton Harbor, MI

#199 Feb 7, 2014
Unhappy Member wrote:
We've been a member for 10 years and have not been to Kalamzoo Park in 9 years. We decided to go Oct. 2013 and called for reservation.
Answering machine was all I could reach...finally got New York Park and explained the situation....they stated the park was open and just to go. Since it is over a 3 hour drive we decided not to take a chance. Have left emails asking if park is still open - never heard back.
WHAT POOR CUSTOMER SEVICE TO A MEMBER WHO HAS CONTINUED TO PAY ANNUAL DUES FOR OVER 10 YEARS.
Good thing you did not go Oct. 2013 because New York lied to you, because the park closed the last day of September 2013. We camped that weekend. We were told that the electric was being shut off on October 1, 2013. I called back in August to make our reservations for the Halloween weekend in the park and was told that it would be the last weekend of Sept. because the park was closing early this year. Another member asked me how we made reservations because the phone had been shut off per customers request. With us making our reservation in August we were able to make our reservation.
camper girl

Caledonia, MI

#200 Feb 7, 2014
Have you tried calling the number on the webpage?
http://springlakeresort.webs.com/apps/locatio...
Kurt G

Clarkston, MI

#201 Feb 11, 2014
Our experience is very similar to others. We were convinced that it's such a great place and such a great deal. During the sales pitch of course they never tell you you can't get your money back, And yet year after year they continue to sign up people. Why? They sold us on the idea that we could just come out anytime for a weekend. But everytime I called to rent one of their special cabins they were always booked up. We will be filing a complaint with the state also.We only camp there once. The place was a dump. It took me an hour and a half to clear up all the goose poop just to set up our tent. Buyer beware. Don't fall for the gimmicks.
Torey

Oakland, MD

#202 Feb 11, 2014
All of you who are unhappy should also contact the attorney General. You can file a complaint on line. He saved us, we were being billed for maintenance fees and we have never been to the campground. They lied to us from the get go. The AG is well aware of these people and he will help you. An attorney would be good too, maybe a class action suit can be achieved. We are still out our $7000.00 we paid. I find it strange that so many claim it is great, but yet when I put our membership up for sale no one wants it. Hard lesson learned. Only wish we could get our money back, we sure could use it. Good Luck all!!!
unhappy member

Plainwell, MI

#203 Mar 3, 2014
So, has anyone heard if Spring Lake will be open for the 2014 season? I have heard they are way behind in taxes and bankruptcy is looming (or has already happened???) No phone number currently works and now the website doesn't seem to be working either. I really hope that people are not paying their annual dues, as I believe we all have been taken by these owners! I guess we will try and go out in may, but I'm expecting the place to be chained up (or at least no power/electric)
Taken for a Ride

Grand Rapids, MI

#204 Mar 29, 2014
I just made my second quarter dues payment and wanted to call the campground to talk with the sales dept for some questions I have. All of the numbers I could find, included on line, are all cancelled. I found one webite that said the park is permanently closed. Then I found this blog..........are you kidding me? We have been robbed. What recourse do we have??
Taken for a Ride

Grand Rapids, MI

#205 Mar 29, 2014
After thinking about this, and researching is a little more, it does appear that the campground is indeed permanently closed. If this is true, can we litigate this as a group, class action? There must be many folks who were taken on this. What recourse do we have?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kalamazoo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jack elliott Jun 23 ? 1
wanted person faryn lee rynd info (Jun '14) May '16 Zach 2
New!!! Kalamazoo Cobras Professional Minor Leag... May '16 AmberCobra16 1
Adventure Resorts of America Kalamazoo mi (Mar '14) May '16 Member 54
Jr Trinidad Ramírez, what ever name he wants to... May '16 Brandy 4
News Al Capone's West Michigan ties: Fact or fun-fic... (Jan '06) May '16 mandi10 816
News Trina L. Peake, 25, charged with murder in Kala... (Apr '12) Apr '16 zoumonkie 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kalamazoo Mortgages