Letters to the Editor - Hawaii Editorials

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

State Sen. Gary Hooser's idea to use the Hurricane Relief Fund to keep our teachers in school is a good one.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 29 of29
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
How Come adds

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Oct 12, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

waimea jim wrote:
<quoted text>Or, if you do it on a scale that Bernie Madoff did, they call it a Ponzi scheme.
And, if you do it on the scale that Obama is doing it, it's call 'social justice'. Go figure.
How Come adds

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Oct 12, 2009
 
Bernie Madoff wrote:
<quoted text> The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation. It's b-u-l-l-****. You got ninety percent of the American public out there with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal. The news, war, peace, famine, upheaval, the price per paper clip. We pick that rabbit out of the hat while everybody sits out there wondering how the hell we did it. Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it. You've got that killer instinct. Stick around pal, I've still got a lot to teach you.
And yet, Bernie, you sit in jail while Waimea Jim and the rest of us honest, hard-working folk are free to do what we want. Without guards. Works for me.
waimea jim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Oct 12, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

Bernie Madoff wrote:
<quoted text> The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation. It's b-u-l-l-****. You got ninety percent of the American public out there with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal. The news, war, peace, famine, upheaval, the price per paper clip. We pick that rabbit out of the hat while everybody sits out there wondering how the hell we did it. Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it. You've got that killer instinct. Stick around pal, I've still got a lot to teach you.
Nah, I like it where I'm at now, free to go anywhere I choose, when I choose to. Anyway, you have 3 squares a day, a roof over your head and even security, for the next 150 years, so, ain't life grand, locked up in the prison of your own making. By the way, do they have cable or sattelite tv where you are staying?
Us poor guys don't want you to be living in lap of luxury, it gets kinda expensive comping out a room to you for 150 years. Most guys just get a comp fo 20-30 years, how come you're so special?
You got a boyfriend yet, I hear the guys are always looking for somebody new.
Anyway, I gotta go to Zippys to pick up my dinner, its all us poor guys can afford.
waimea jim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Oct 12, 2009
 
How Come adds wrote:
<quoted text>
And, if you do it on the scale that Obama is doing it, it's call 'social justice'. Go figure.
Will I be able to afford a steak after this? My dogs really like filet mignon.
mischal

Ewa Beach, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Oct 12, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Marijuana was outlawed for political reasons, thanks to Harry Anslinger and William Randolph Hearst. They created a problem that didn`t exist to expedite Anslinger`s career in narcotics; an interesting story. Check out Drug War Rants, why is marijuana illegal. It`s too reasonable an idea to legalize and tax it, like alcohol. Since it was once Hawaii`s biggest cash crop, it seems to be a way out of our financial woes. Unlike other drugs, it is not physically addictive and to those who say it`s a `gateway` drug to worse, I think those people would have found their way to hard drugs, with or without pot. And to those who point out the hazards of smoking it, make brownies! If the plan goes bad, ban it again. Not worth a try?
waimea jim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Oct 12, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

willie wrote:
"Use relief fund to keep teachers"
Sure Bruce. While they are at it why not collect taxes for a "just in case we may need it someday" fund that they can raid rather than reduce costs or wastful spending?
What a moronic idea, use funds from a fund designated and collected for ONE reason. If they don't need it anymore..GIVE IT BACK to the taxpayers rather than just throw it down that rathole called BOE to fritter away.
I would have no problem with them raiding the Hurricane relief fund if they put into the wording of the bill authorizing the theft of the funds that state: Any property owner that has contributed to the fund will have his home and contents replaced by the State if the home and contents are damaged by a hurricane.
Also, there should be a certificate that is issued to the Homeowner to certify that he paid into the fund. It would be only issued to the homeowner listed on the title and non transferrable.
roadsterred

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Oct 12, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

When the proposed settlement between the State and HSTA was announced I couldn't help but notice the 17 furlough days in the first year. My initial thought was that this was a stroke of genius because coincidentally, the teachers receive 13 paid holidays and 4 work days.

However, I reached the wrong conclusion. I thought that the teachers would give up their paid holidays and work days which would have had no impact on instruction days. Unfortunately, this is not true.
Stumpy

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Oct 12, 2009
 
waimea jim wrote:
<quoted text>Nah, I like it where I'm at now, free to go anywhere I choose, when I choose to.
A guy I know swears he saw Madoff on the street in NYC a couple of months ago, even talked to him. I wonder if that guy is really in jail, or maybe has his own keys.
waimea jim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Oct 13, 2009
 
roadsterred wrote:
When the proposed settlement between the State and HSTA was announced I couldn't help but notice the 17 furlough days in the first year. My initial thought was that this was a stroke of genius because coincidentally, the teachers receive 13 paid holidays and 4 work days.
However, I reached the wrong conclusion. I thought that the teachers would give up their paid holidays and work days which would have had no impact on instruction days. Unfortunately, this is not true.
Since the teachers have their pay spread out over 12 months, have them take the furlough days duing the summer vacation, spring break, and Christmas break. Then there will be no days lost to educating the children.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 29 of29
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kalaheo Discussions

Search the Kalaheo Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Fun in Waimea Mon James 2
pau pizza Jun 23 in love 1
Insurer punished for failing to pay claim - News (Jan '09) May '14 Quakteanro Gugiliamphotbo 49
Kauai Fire Department seeks more overtime funds May '14 shara 2
Kauai man gets 30 days in jail for cruelty to a... (Feb '10) May '14 common sense 2
Proof on website proving Police Misconduct and ... (Apr '06) May '14 KauaiBatman 12
State timeshare properties prove popular with o... (Feb '09) May '14 Julia Anderson 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Kalaheo Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Kalaheo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Kalaheo News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Kalaheo
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••