Wakeboarder

United States

#1 Aug 15, 2014
I've been to the lake several times. My parents just retired there. I have been thinking about moving to the area. I'm curious as to what the lake is like for a gay guy. I'm in my late 20s and just like any other guy out there. Love sports, outdoors and anything boating. I just happen to be attracted to guys. Some places are very closed minded. Any views?
And if anyone is overly opinionated or bashing types, I would appreciate not going though all that with you on a message board. Not worth it for either of us.

“It ain't gonna suck itself.”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#2 Sep 27, 2014
For the most part people here are very open minded and accepting, especially people on the lake. Now service people at local businesses you might find to be less appealing, not because they neccessarily dislike individuals but because they are unhappy with where they're at in life. They can easily be avoided and you will quickly find the friendly people/places to frequent. I really enjoy meeting people here, most are very nice with a few goody two shoes and random aholes. I just smile nod and move on to the good people to interact with. Small local spots is where it's at, not the mega places.

The is like glass this morning. Beautiful morning on the water.
Baja 42

United States

#3 Oct 31, 2014
Wakeboarder wrote:
I've been to the lake several times. My parents just retired there. I have been thinking about moving to the area. I'm curious as to what the lake is like for a gay guy. I'm in my late 20s and just like any other guy out there. Love sports, outdoors and anything boating. I just happen to be attracted to guys. Some places are very closed minded. Any views?
And if anyone is overly opinionated or bashing types, I would appreciate not going though all that with you on a message board. Not worth it for either of us.
The Lake is a great place in a lot of respects. In my opinion, it's almost too much of a melting pot sometimes. So many people retire and move in that want to bring their tourist-oriented ways to stay. Change can be good. But, the lake is much different once is was really discovered by outside forces. The charm is fading. It's kind of sad. Still a great place, but is becoming very common as opposed to the unique place it once was.
Tourists will give you more trouble than locals. They come in and think they own the place. We are all grateful for the money brought, but the utter lack of respect for the area and people is sad. I've seen tourists heckle a server their own age for being working class. That's disgusting. My partner tipped the server tremendously and told her she was incredible. And she was. The elitist attitude can be disgusting. Usually those are the ones putting on a sham show.
My advice- be friendly. Respect the lake. You'll be fine.
Taint

Dupo, IL

#4 Dec 10, 2014
Just be careful when you drive off the main roads. Once you get a mile or so away from the lake there are a lot of hillbillies. They may want to make you squeal like a pig!
hillbilly

United States

#5 Dec 14, 2014
Taint wrote:
Just be careful when you drive off the main roads. Once you get a mile or so away from the lake there are a lot of hillbillies. They may want to make you squeal like a pig
Yep made you squeal a few times over the years

“The Dawn Is Your Enemy”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#6 Jan 5, 2015
Entrepreneur's Heaven.
Monica

Quitman, AR

#7 Jan 24, 2015
Speaking as both a B and T in LGBT it's a lot like most other places. You'll find people who will embrace you, people who will scorn you, and people who couldn't care less what you are as long as you don't try to catch a peek in the men's room or march around shouting "we're here! We're queer! Get use to it!" You won't find an area that doesn't have that short of joining an LGBT focused intentional community.

Hopefully you're not into "cruising" because it doesn't really go on around here. The police have been cracking down on that over the years so that scene is either dead or driven so far underground that you're not likely to find it.

Don't worry about the "hillbillies" around here. I come from a long line of hillbillies, some of my kinfolk even making the Clampetts look refined by comparison. There aren't roving gangs of long bearded shotgun wielding yokels rounding up "them gays" to send back to Sodom or to a shallow grave.

While the lake area (Osage Beach, Lake Ozark, and Camdenton) tends to be more liberal and the towns outside of the lake (Eldon, Iberia, Macks Creek) tend to be more conservative in reality most people around here tend to be pretty libertarian. They may talk behind closed doors but 99% of the time they won't do or say anything if they see you holding hands with a guy.

A guy I know who's always saying "I'd like to rip the wings off of those fairies" helps men he knows to be gay at the side of the road as readily as he'll help an attractive woman or a family man (and not out of obligation, as he's a landscaper, not a mechanic or tow truck driver). Preachers who will get up on the pulpit and preach against homosexuality will help a man who can't afford absolutely necessary medication even after he introduces his husband.

In other words, even the bigots will treat you right as long as you treat them right. If same sex marriage is ever recognized in MO don't seek punitive damages against a pastor who refuses to marry you and they won't say a thing against you. Don't go to a blue collar bar and figuratively hit on guys unless it's clear that they're interested in men and the patrons won't physically hit on you (not that they would, anyway, but that sounded better than them just asking you to leave or shunning you).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kaiser Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
420 Apr 21 Wendy 3
were would the hubby and i go in osage beach to... (Oct '14) Apr 17 Wendy 12
Anyone know Bob Danner? Apr 17 Wendy 1
Kristy Gaines Apr 16 Darren 1
Need vacation info Feb '15 welcome 2
Looking for Bucky Phillips (Oct '09) Jan '15 Arnold Nonymous 8
walmart Jan '15 heard a rumor 1
More from around the web

Kaiser People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE