Stimulus might generate 3,000 constru...

Stimulus might generate 3,000 construction jobs - News

There are 32 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Mar 17, 2009, titled Stimulus might generate 3,000 construction jobs - News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

State officials are hoping that a big new portion of the federal stimulus package will generate more than 3,000 jobs in local construction for transportation projects.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tired of these guys

Makawao, HI

#22 Mar 17, 2009
manini wrote:
Construction jobs are temporary in nature. We seem to create construction jobs to feed the beast, witness the rail project in Honolulu. What happens after they've built over the entire island? Do they tear it down and start over.
Sure construction dollars are nice, but where does it end.
Just look at the condition of our roads. Build stuff with poor engineering and substandard materials and you can keep repair crews employed forever. Seriously, though. Even temporary jobs will boost the economy more than upping the limit on food stamps.

Since: Feb 08

Kaneohe, Hawaii

#23 Mar 17, 2009
alice wrote:
Doing nothing is not an option..we need mayjor public spending to start the economy. Bush left America in a weakened, wrecked state.
Every job created (or "saved") in the package costs $200K+. What kind of stimulation is that. Whoopee! What a great option. Thanks, Obama.
if you build it

Kailua, HI

#24 Mar 17, 2009
Kauakea wrote:
<quoted text>
Every job created (or "saved") in the package costs $200K+. What kind of stimulation is that. Whoopee! What a great option. Thanks, Obama.
They can skip creating a job for me and just give the the 200K. The government won't have to worry about me after that!

Wailuku, HI

#25 Mar 17, 2009
Do you think we can get some of those lazy people out of the parks to take a job? NAH I doubt it unless you stop the handouts.

Phoenix, AZ

#26 Mar 17, 2009
I read today that the Fedral Gov. will not
require employers to verify if the people they
hire are illegal immergrants. That provision was killed in thw US Senate..
Patrol the Border

Brea, CA

#27 Mar 17, 2009
sky wrote:
I read today that the Fedral Gov. will not
require employers to verify if the people they
hire are illegal immergrants. That provision was killed in thw US Senate..
Out here in CA they are saying not to hire anybody but illegals. The stimulus is for the turds from Mexico.

Tacoma, WA

#28 Mar 17, 2009
as long as un- or underemployment remains at 10-15% the threat of inflation is kinda zilch....that large a pool of desperate people will put downward pressure on wages,spending,gdp etc....

those union jobs will lead to spin off jobs...people gotta eat plate clothes...take the car in for tune up....etc...

more bang for the buck than tax breaks ...which people/businesses wouldn't spend enough of....

it's still not enough to prevent the collapse though...they're just trying to ease the fall...
Corrupt Construction

Wahiawa, HI

#29 Mar 17, 2009
mario wrote:
It is good that there is money coming in. But the sad part is most of the money is going to union jobs that makes an average of 40 dollars an hour. What about jobs (7.25 an hour)for the minimum wage earners? To me its is another standard procedure politics.
So true, temporary fix for an industry ripe with corruption since the days of speculation of inside "back door" deals involving sleazy corrupt politicians, judges their family members and cronies that continues today! I've known of a good friend who worked in Hawaii's construction firms, he used to pay off some crooked politician every Friday with an envelop stuffed with $100 bills because his boss's company got favored contracts as long as the money continues "under the table".

Hawaii as well as other States should instead put this stimulus package into permanent job creation, like energy solutions outside of oil and medical technology derived from electronics dealing with composite harmonic frequencies tuned to the human body.

These technologies already exists, but the powers who control big oil and the medical industries DO NOT WANT to lose control....

Walnut Creek, CA

#30 Mar 17, 2009
The word is "might". Bet the city and county and state workers get all the jobs.

Kaneohe, HI

#31 Mar 18, 2009
well for us on the big island ..OUR money is going to fix our earthquake bridges that supposed have be funded with the FEMA money that our officials have in their pockets....we should use the OUR money to BUILD a NEW GYM FOR KOHALA instead of put a bandaid over the old gym that they took out over 75% of the funds already to go on a vacation ...oops business trip.

Kaneohe, HI

#32 Mar 18, 2009
oh wait...we already had fixed those bridges. that is on the list. my two cent..wait they took that already

Honolulu, HI

#33 Mar 18, 2009
Just A Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
The stimulus money goes to the STATE. The CITY AND COUNTY OF HONOLULU maintains the sewers. All Counties will receive some of the stimulus money and it remains to be seen what the City and County of Honolulu will do with its share.
goofi is going to try with all of his might to somehow push it toward rail development, even at the risk of having the Feds take it back.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kahului Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Frank's Friendly Cars Maui Car Rental LLC (Jun '11) Feb 24 Big Al 2
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Feb '18 Musikologist 7
Lisa Otsuka alias Katie Huang.... (Dec '12) Nov '17 Big balls 5
Joe Groomes (Mar '17) Aug '17 Nancy Groomes 2
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Jul '17 Musikologist 14
News Hawaiian Islands Weather Details & Aloha Paragr... (Feb '16) Feb '16 ben 1
News Hawaiian Islands Weather details & Aloha Paragr... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Treetop rider 2

Kahului Jobs

Personal Finance

Kahului Mortgages