No whale strike occurred, Superferry ...

No whale strike occurred, Superferry says - News

There are 41 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jan 22, 2009, titled No whale strike occurred, Superferry says - News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

WAILUKU>> Hawaii Superferry officials said, contrary to a report from a passenger, the vessel did not strike a whale en route to Maui yesterday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
willie

Farmington, MI

#1 Jan 22, 2009
Do they investigate when the Pacific Whale Foundatrion hits a whale? They do it all the time.

Got a feeling a thin aluminum ship like the SF would show damage if in fact they hit a whale.

So the cop said, nothing to see here folks, move along.
kapaa

Lihue, HI

#2 Jan 22, 2009
the superferry would be damaged if it hit a whale...so the reporting party is full of it.really looking forward to the hoards from maui and oahu descending on our fragile ecosystem so they can muck it up ;just like their islands are now, misery loves company
KuFeng

Berlin, Germany

#3 Jan 22, 2009
Jerk of a captain used the summer southerly route; into the Hawaiian Humpback Whale Sanctuary where mothers raise calves.

See KGMB web page story.
http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/13409/40/

Yep Kanaloa waits.
nakoa

Wahiawa, HI

#4 Jan 22, 2009
You should never put the mouse in charge of the cheese. Of course the "superferry freaks" aren't going to report anything!! A real investigation (not by SF customers) should be done.
Just another lolo Punatic

Waipahu, HI

#5 Jan 22, 2009
Please, enough of the amateur opinions. As a degreed structural engineer, the likelihood of noting any damage above the waterline is slim to none.

If it did strike the whale it would be more akin to using a high grade aluminum knife on cutting a piece of fat, as to scale, the ship has almost a knife edge.

I did note there was no mention of a tell-tale 'feeling the impact'- which could be a tell-tale key.
Grant

Honolulu, HI

#6 Jan 22, 2009
KuFeng wrote:
Jerk of a captain used the summer southerly route; into the Hawaiian Humpback Whale Sanctuary where mothers raise calves.
See KGMB web page story.
http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/13409/40/
Yep Kanaloa waits.
Seems like the Captain and crew did their jobs well. Kudos to them for their attentiveness and actions.
willie

Farmington, MI

#8 Jan 22, 2009
Just another lolo Punatic wrote:
Please, enough of the amateur opinions. As a degreed structural engineer, the likelihood of noting any damage above the waterline is slim to none.
If it did strike the whale it would be more akin to using a high grade aluminum knife on cutting a piece of fat, as to scale, the ship has almost a knife edge.
I did note there was no mention of a tell-tale 'feeling the impact'- which could be a tell-tale key.
Who said anything about above the waterline? Last I checked whales don't fly they are underwater most of the time. That damage is noticable, it is called water gushing in and a tendency of the boat to pull to one side when underweigh.

You missed one small fact in your "it would be more akin to using a high grade aluminum knife on cutting a piece of fat" whales also have BONES. What does your knife do when it hits a bone? Oh yeah, stop.

The SF does NOT have tungsten cutting edges on the bow, it is aluminum too. The slicing and dicing ferries are the ones over in the Atlantic that have hydofoils and they hit basking blue whales every now and then..requiring extensive dry dock time afterwards.
Westsideray

Princeville, HI

#9 Jan 22, 2009
How many times have the 3 TIMES as BIG barges and Cruise Ships hit whales and it never makes the news? Plenty times.
Was there any doubt

Lihue, HI

#10 Jan 22, 2009
On a January 4th trip, 12+ vehicles were damaged in the turbulent seas while on the Super(LOL)ferry. Countless numbers of people continue to barf as the stench of rotten puke is soaked into the carpets. Meanwhile they almost run over a whale.

Next round of lawsuits have been filed. Be careful folks, there may not be a ferry left afloat soon.(LOL)
Alcoa

Ewa Beach, HI

#11 Jan 22, 2009
Not to worry aluminum is cheap now. Oops there goes the market again!
Option One

Honolulu, HI

#12 Jan 22, 2009
Sound like the "environmentalists" that ignore the Young Bros. Barges, Matson, the other guys too, like pick ontop the Superferry.

The "plant" when make squeeler just for stir stuff up, look like.

This gives license to the lunatic fringe to jump in and make a big deal.

Superferry, no superferry, I no care, I still going fly because faster.

But no make like you one whale-hugging dolphin kisser going green when you drive one car polluting the air, and no like support making bike lanes, barricaded kine, around Honolulu.

If you going Green: Go all the way.

Support barricaded bike lanes. Call Mufi. Call Lingle. But no feed us this hit the whale waste.
Silly Willie

Kaneohe, HI

#13 Jan 22, 2009
willie wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said anything about above the waterline? Last I checked whales don't fly they are underwater most of the time. That damage is noticable, it is called water gushing in and a tendency of the boat to pull to one side when underweigh.
You missed one small fact in your "it would be more akin to using a high grade aluminum knife on cutting a piece of fat" whales also have BONES. What does your knife do when it hits a bone? Oh yeah, stop.
The SF does NOT have tungsten cutting edges on the bow, it is aluminum too. The slicing and dicing ferries are the ones over in the Atlantic that have hydofoils and they hit basking blue whales every now and then..requiring extensive dry dock time afterwards.
Aren't you the retired Coast Guard guy who said that the channels between the Hawaiian Islands were calmer than Lake Michigan? If you are, you have zero credibility and should focus on Michigan's problems, like how the Big Three are going to start building cars that people want to buy. Stop commenting about Hawaii issues when you have no clue and no stake in these matters.
Manapua Man

AOL

#14 Jan 22, 2009
Would the Superferry admit if the struck a whale????????
to all it may concern

Cincinnati, OH

#15 Jan 22, 2009
stop bashing the superferry and start concentrating on your own lives, we all making like the superferry is the one at fault all the time. remember, there are more than a few boats that actually go out on whale excursions and end up getting super close to whales, but do I hear anyone bitching about that? nope!
so quitcherbitchin' and worry about our economy, not about a umpteen ton of aluminium coming close to hitting a friggin whale...sheesh!!!
Max Gomes

Honolulu, HI

#16 Jan 22, 2009
Who cares if the superferry does hit a whale anyways? Over 10,000 whales die each year anyways, what's one or two more? There are tens of thousands of these things. Crazies man.
poor basset

Napa, CA

#17 Jan 22, 2009
duhh?what you think they going say??"Yeah ,WE when whack em pretty good??
Slice N Dice

Ewa Beach, HI

#18 Jan 22, 2009
Kintsu city here. Ack here comes the SPAM!
Why Worry

Kaneohe, HI

#19 Jan 22, 2009
to all it may concern wrote:
stop bashing the superferry and start concentrating on your own lives, we all making like the superferry is the one at fault all the time. remember, there are more than a few boats that actually go out on whale excursions and end up getting super close to whales, but do I hear anyone **** about that? nope!
so quitcherbitchin' and worry about our economy, not about a umpteen ton of aluminium coming close to hitting a friggin whale...sheesh!!!
Yeah, just because we paid forty million for harbor improvements that can only be used by Superferry, why worry? It's not like the harbors could have used the money for other improvements.
poor basset

Napa, CA

#20 Jan 22, 2009
SF 1. Whales 0.
Da Real Scoops

Honolulu, HI

#21 Jan 22, 2009
Ok, here's the real deal, heard from the dolphin's mouth, who witnessed the whole thing. The Whale actually struck the Super Ferry first! Words were exchanged after that and the Super Ferry then struck the Whale in retaliation. A classic case of self defense... Way to go Super Ferry, don't let those Whales push you around!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kahului Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gas prices drop, but could it be more? (Jan '15) Sat -Sprocket- 4
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Jul 19 Musikologist 11
News Hawaii Gov. Ige will let bill extending Oahu's ... Jul '15 Bozobama 5
News Maui Residents Brace For Tsunami (Feb '10) Jun '15 u never know where 3
News Maui Superferry Ruling a Blow to Company, a Vic... (Oct '07) Jun '15 Treetop rider 3
News Hawaiian Islands Weather details & Aloha Paragr... Jun '15 Treetop rider 2
News Tam Ho not guilty in Maui incident - Hawaii News (Oct '09) Feb '15 Frustrated 43
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kahului Mortgages