Whole Foods scales back on Ward Village

JAMM AQUINO / JAQUINO@STARBULLETIN.COM The Whole Foods Market flagship store, slated for Ward Village Shops, has been been scaled back, Shown, the future site on Auahi Street in Kakaako. Full Story

“ Guru”

Since: Jan 08

Manhattan Beach

#1 Aug 16, 2008
I am sorry to see it reduced in size. I believe that you will regret that in 5 years, after the correction. You know your business, but the propulation there will increase quite a bit in the next 5-7 years...anyway, I am glad that you are providing a 40,000 sq ft. store in Kailua in 2010.
There will be 5 stores now in Kailua that provide organic food, etc., at least. Goes hand in hand with the open markets. That alone will help keep your prices down, as you tend to be higher than most. Still, I will be in your store often. Thanks for coming to Hawaii!

“ Guru”

Manhattan Beach

#2 Aug 16, 2008
After re-reading your article, the idea of a 2-story grocery store was a mistake I believe. Probably a good idea to scale it back to the first floor only.
give me a break

Kaneohe, HI

#3 Aug 16, 2008
"BORN AGAIN HAWAIIAN" ACTIVISTS SCORE 1,,,,, LAW ABIDING "OTHER PEOPLE" 0.......

ANOTHER "BLACK EYE" FOR ALL THE PEOPLE WHO WANT JOBS AND A BETTER LIFE, WHAT HAPPENED "UNIONS" NO "BIG BRASS ONES"????????

Still from Kaneohe.
jjbanks

Kapolei, HI

#4 Aug 16, 2008
doesnt make sense to open such a big space, if anyones been at ward center and ward warehouse lately retailers are going out of biz left and right. rent too high? yes. amount of new tenants coming in ? 0 , whole foods made the right move, if things get better over there im sure ggp will kick out the 2nd floor tenant.
ST5vet

United States

#5 Aug 16, 2008
Get rid of this stupid ass store or boycott at least...they won't stock lobsters because the lobsters "feel pain" when you dump them in boiling water. Seriously, that is what those hippie liberals say. Lobsters don't have a damn brain or a complex central nervous system...they can't feel pain...all they have is a nerve net. Get a life Whole Foods or die a slow painful death!

“Live Love Laugh.. and Surf! :)”

Since: Aug 08

Kaimuki,Hilo,Ka'u, Kaupo

#6 Aug 16, 2008
I can understand why they scaled back considering many are tightening up their wallet. I have been to Whole Foods though like the one in Bellevue, WA and it is highly overrated with over priced fruits and veggies. I can see why they scaled back.
Maxima

Ewa Beach, HI

#7 Aug 16, 2008
-Lana- wrote:
I can understand why they scaled back considering many are tightening up their wallet. I have been to Whole Foods though like the one in Bellevue, WA and it is highly overrated with over priced fruits and veggies. I can see why they scaled back.
For such a Hawaiian activist, why aren't you growing your own fruits and vegetables. Oh, because you want the best of both worlds for free..
Typical. YOu're such a phony.

“Live Love Laugh.. and Surf! :)”

Since: Aug 08

Kaimuki,Hilo,Ka'u, Kaupo

#8 Aug 16, 2008
Maxima wrote:
<quoted text>
For such a Hawaiian activist, why aren't you growing your own fruits and vegetables. Oh, because you want the best of both worlds for free..
Typical. YOu're such a phony.
I actually have four square foot gardens.

Gotta love it when people like you ASSume, hide behind a screen name, AND resort to argumentatum ad hominem.

They show your weaknesses.

“ Guru”

Manhattan Beach

#9 Aug 17, 2008
ST5vet wrote:
Get rid of this stupid **** store or boycott at least...they won't stock lobsters because the lobsters "feel pain" when you dump them in boiling water. Seriously, that is what those hippie liberals say. Lobsters don't have a damn brain or a complex central nervous system...they can't feel pain...all they have is a nerve net. Get a life Whole Foods or die a slow painful death!
...that is what the aliens say when they roast us for dinner.
glass case of emotion

Makawao, HI

#10 Aug 17, 2008
Poor General Growth... welcome to the recession! soon all your new stores in the Nordstrom addition will start closing as well. look at all the empty retail space under the new hip condos too, so sad. time for all you developers to lower the cost of the leases. otherwise you'll end up like windward mall... oh wait, Kam schools got General Growth to fix that. for now...
keola

Honolulu, HI

#11 Aug 17, 2008
they could have done a health food eatery or restaurant upstairs...too bad...could have been more jobs there...now will be less....
Omama

Honolulu, HI

#12 Aug 17, 2008
They would've shot themselves in the foot with a 2-floor grocery store unless they were planning to put in 20 elevators to accommodate all those shoppers with carts.
Pliffer

Honolulu, HI

#13 Aug 17, 2008
ST5vet wrote:
Get rid of this stupid **** store or boycott at least...they won't stock lobsters because the lobsters "feel pain" when you dump them in boiling water. Seriously, that is what those hippie liberals say. Lobsters don't have a damn brain or a complex central nervous system...they can't feel pain...all they have is a nerve net. Get a life Whole Foods or die a slow painful death!
Won't they sell fake lobster made of tofu like Tofurkey? Tofobster? Mmmmmm. Soybeans feel no pain. I'm told.
Delta Pearl

UK

#14 Aug 17, 2008
Many of the existing Whole Foods Markets are 2 or 3 floors. NYC, London, etc. Getting the baskets from one floor to another is no problem. Anyone who has shopped in Manhattan has seen the escalators that carry both carts and customers. But, given the realities of the Bush/Blair economy, particularly the ruinously expensive invasion of Iraq, it was prudent to scale back their plans.
jimp

Chicago, IL

#15 May 25, 2009
Whole Foods just opened a 75,000 sq ft store in Chicago's Lincoln Park. Its a beautiful store.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kahului Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kula Music Thread Fri Musikologist 1
Hawaii homes not among top 10 (Sep '09) Dec 5 Bmused Artwork 4
Monsanto files suit in effort to block Maui's G... Nov '14 Joe Balls 3
Do you approve of Gilbert Keith-Agaran as State... Aug '14 J. Eagle 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug '14 Musikologist 9
Review: Aloha Gold Buyers LLC Aug '14 Marcus Leighman 1
Hawaii governor seeks to prime budget pump (Dec '07) Aug '14 Yellow Cab Driver 13
Kahului Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Kahului People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Kahului News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Kahului

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:27 pm PST

ESPN 3:27PM