Mokulele trimming flights a month aft...

Mokulele trimming flights a month after jet startup - Business

There are 29 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Dec 17, 2008, titled Mokulele trimming flights a month after jet startup - Business. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Mokulele Airlines has scaled back flights less than a month after starting jet service under a partnership with Republic Airways .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
yep

Hilo, HI

#1 Dec 17, 2008
name is too difficult to get off the tongue of a mainlander

rename it --- how about WeGoToo!!!

Since: Oct 08

San Jose, CA

#2 Dec 17, 2008
Competition is great but over capacity between the islands still exist. Until the capacity issue is addressed, the State will again lose another carrier.
willie

Plymouth, MI

#3 Dec 17, 2008
They just need to hang in for a couple more months. Once Mesa goes belly up they can resume the routes.

If you have a quarter you don't need buy a share of Mesa stock, it will be a collectors item some day.
bu la ia

Honolulu, HI

#4 Dec 17, 2008
what do they expect, I checked Mokulele out, their flights average $110 each way.....it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why they are so empty.
mesa

United States

#5 Dec 17, 2008
willie wrote:
They just need to hang in for a couple more months. Once Mesa goes belly up they can resume the routes.
If you have a quarter you don't need buy a share of Mesa stock, it will be a collectors item some day.
You keep saying this . They sure don't behave that way
willie

Plymouth, MI

#6 Dec 17, 2008
bu la ia wrote:
what do they expect, I checked Mokulele out, their flights average $110 each way.....it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why they are so empty.
"Mokulele, Mesa Air Group's go! and Hawaiian Airlines all said Monday they are offering $39 one-way fares for travel to Lihue and Kona through Dec. 31. Mokulele, which initiated the fare sale, said tickets must be purchased by 5:30 a.m. this morning. Hawaiian's tickets must be purchased by midnight."

If you wait to get a ticket on Hawaiian after all the cheap seats are gone they are expensive too.
willie

Plymouth, MI

#7 Dec 17, 2008
mesa wrote:
<quoted text> You keep saying this . They sure don't behave that way
Yes I know, at the moment what they are doing is equal to re arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, looks good but the ship still sank.
amateur time

AOL

#8 Dec 17, 2008
It is a foolish operation, runned by an amateur
with wet leased aircraft that must be very expensive and supported by a mainland airline that at the first sign of trouble, will be out of here like a rocket.

Don't by ant tickets in advance. It looks like a desperate attempt to raise cash by the airline. They won't be around for long.

Leesen up Economist

Aspen, CO

#9 Dec 17, 2008
Some airline operators never learn. They always think their business is "different" and immune to island market forces that affect everyone else in this industry. Flying close to empty aircraft around is insane. Undercutting normal ticket prices as well. Sure, cutting back on flights is necessary for Mokulele (actually a mainland Republic Aitlines wet-leased to Kona's Mokulele, they are using all mainland pilots as well) Not much local here in "Mainlandlele Airlines". Just like with Go! All from the mainland. But the "low ticket price whores" will jump on anything that's a penny cheaper than others. Like with Go! Because of that, in the end even more airlines will fail and ticket prices will rise to levels they wouldn't have if people appreciated the truly local airlines who already are offering reasonable tickets and still make zero profit inter-island. Go figure. Yes, I have a soft spot for Hawaiian Air. They always treated me with respect and I like their service. Nothing is ever perfect, but they are trying to improve. Ok, so I said it. So, shoot me! I don't like Go! and I don't like Mokulele, passing itself off as a local airline when it is not. Incorporating on the mainland is normal for local airlines. Even Aloha did that. It's a business necessity today to have a chance. Hope Hawaiian doesn't tank now. I like them and what they do for the community as well. Which is a lot! They also hired many former, laid off Aloha employees, who now are contributing to the community and are not a drain on the economy.$60 Inter-island ticket prices are were they were about 10 years ago (Aloha and Hawaiian), but with huge government security fees built in today, increased landing fees and higher fuel costs. Sure, right now because of Mokulele there are some cheaper tickets available and we are in the same battle of who is left standing last again. One airline will suffer again, then tickets will go up. All you $9,$19,$29, one way ticket lovers, why don't you grow up, or row a boat across the ocean! Good luck. Get rid of your $3,000 car stereo in your ignorant looking vehicle, or sell those $4,000 chrome rims off your lousy twenty year old gas guzzler polluting car. Or, cash in on your million dollar shack you bought for $25,000 about 50 years ago, so you can afford a normal cost round-trip...
Think about it

Fort Wainwright, AK

#10 Dec 17, 2008
There are a lot of pilots at Republic who went to work there because jobs were not available in Hawaii, there are many Hawaii born and raised pilots and FAs at the regionals, you might want to see if some didn't take advantage of this to come back home to Hawaii (the base opened on an ALL volunteer basis, noone was forcibly reassigned), before you attack them.
miss molly

AOL

#11 Dec 17, 2008
I retrieved an exctract from a Star Bulletin article published couple of weeks ago:

"Now we have a new entrant into the interisland air market, Mukulele Airlines. Some people are already saying that we donít need more competition in Hawaii. Well, every market, small or big, needs competition. Competition is good for the consumer.

However, I must say that I have mixed feelings about this new entry. The part of me that believes in competition and consumer choices, hopes for Mukulele Air to succeed and prosper. But the other part of me believes that the odds are against one of the weaker competitors and, as a result, one of them could fail. Which one, I donít know."
Think about it

Fort Wainwright, AK

#12 Dec 17, 2008
I think what is worst, though, about Mokulele is that Boyer himself had said the $39 fares never should have existed... yet the first thing he does is offer $49 and $39 fares.
Tsarbomba

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Dec 17, 2008
So why is there no clamor that Mokulele is using predatory pricing?
miss molly

AOL

#14 Dec 17, 2008
Tsarbomba wrote:
So why is there no clamor that Mokulele is using predatory pricing?
Because most of the people that comment on this blog
are blind partisans.
competitor

Honolulu, HI

#15 Dec 17, 2008
miss molly wrote:
I retrieved an exctract from a Star Bulletin article published couple of weeks ago:
"Now we have a new entrant into the interisland air market, Mukulele Airlines. Some people are already saying that we donít need more competition in Hawaii. Well, every market, small or big, needs competition. Competition is good for the consumer.
However, I must say that I have mixed feelings about this new entry. The part of me that believes in competition and consumer choices, hopes for Mukulele Air to succeed and prosper. But the other part of me believes that the odds are against one of the weaker competitors and, as a result, one of them could fail. Which one, I donít know."
Competition exists when there is a market that can sustain a business. A company cannot succeed if they don't have a good business model. No big loss here!
halawa

Honolulu, HI

#16 Dec 17, 2008
Is everyone forgetting that there is competition already? Hawaiian, Island Air, Mokulele, Pacific Wings, Go, etc. It's not like a new airline is going to do something that the others already aren't doing, except cause everyone to lost money; when you charge less than it costs for your product, that's a bad business model.

halawa
dr_737s

Makawao, HI

#17 Dec 17, 2008
Anyone want to take a guess at what Mokulele is paying Republic for the wet-lease of aircraft and personnel? Republic gets paid by Mokulele no matter what, empty, full, not flying.
Idontworkhere

Ewa Beach, HI

#18 Dec 17, 2008
Mokulele said there won't be any $9 and $19 specifically - no mention of $39.

I'm hoping it works out - I've flown them and Island Air a few times to MKK and its a good ride.

However, Mokulele has done something go! has yet to do - secure partnerships with larger airlines... so my money is on Mokulele to be around for a while.
Anonymous

Kilauea, HI

#19 Dec 17, 2008
bu la ia wrote:
That's not bad if they have 40 seats...what's that, about 3 dollars per person?
Anonymous

Kilauea, HI

#20 Dec 17, 2008
Duh.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kahului Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Feb 11 Musikologist 7
Lisa Otsuka alias Katie Huang.... (Dec '12) Nov '17 Big balls 5
Joe Groomes (Mar '17) Aug '17 Nancy Groomes 2
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Jul '17 Musikologist 14
Kihei/Wailea House Rental Sleep 8 // Dec 17- Ja... (Mar '17) Mar '17 sherrykate 1
News Hawaiian Islands Weather Details & Aloha Paragr... (Feb '16) Feb '16 ben 1
News Hawaiian Islands Weather details & Aloha Paragr... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Treetop rider 2

Kahului Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kahului Mortgages