Hawaiian sugar going, going ... - Hawaii Editorials

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

News that the last sugar cane fields on Kauai were being harvested makes us realize that it won't be long before we will see the last of what for more than a century was the single most important product of Hawaii.
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Nov 18, 2009
Art Gomes

Mclean, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Thanks for the memories. I spent time in the Spanish Camp, Puunene & in Wailuku from '51 -'53.
I still recall the smell of the sugar cane when burning, those wonderful Turner Haulers, the speed bumps on the road to make sure that cars did not run into the path of a moving Hauler at the intersection. I recall walking past the mill in Puunene on the way to the movie theater.
Those were the days.
Hah

Kaunakakai, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

I lived with my Aunt & Uncle at Spanish Bay in the 1970's & 80's before moving to Kahului. After that, they demolished SB and grew sugar cane as well. We now live on the island of Molokai and return to Maui a couple times a year on the ferry to go shopping. I often talk story with my wife & kids of how life in Puunene was like...I just happen to have grown up as a child in Maunaloa town on Molokai on the pineapple plantation in the 1960's and early 70's...and how special & fun it was. We did things as a community...we lived close together...we fought...we laughed...we cried...we mourned...we were a family. May I use that old cliche, "those were the good old days!"
Times are changing, no longer are we working side by side as in the old days but "specializing" in dis or dat:( so in turn, we don't congregate like we used to. I miss that life but that is what time & change does. Everything is but a memory now...probably never to be like what was. Aloha!
Poi

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

Contracts up folks.

Time to move along.

The reason your grandpappies came to Hawaii is over now. Time to seek out new adventures.

You grandparents sought new horizons by leaving the place they were born, you can too.

No sugar for you to cut. No pineapple for you to pick. And Hawaii doesn't make anything any more. The only things it really produces like coffee, fish farms, bottled sea water etc are all Haole intensive industries. Your simple labor is not needed.

So Aloha and Arigato for all your help. See you someplace else.

Bye bye.
Fortunate Grandson

Lihue, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

My grandparents told me stories about plantation life but the one thing that struck me was my maternal grandmother telling me how lucky we were to have electricity and indoor plumbing. It never really sunk in until I traveled to countries where those things are reserved for the rich and after Iniki when my neighborhood didn't have electricity or water for a few weeks.
swannie

Ocean View, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

While you are thinking about the good old days, don't forget:

All the land they stole or appropriated by force from local farmers.

All the water they stole by snuggling up to the royalty and then by owning the courts and legislature.

All the tax breaks they got in the past are still enjoying, much to the detriment of the public, who have to make up the difference.

And now, as a final slap in the face, they want to turn their best farmland into housing subdivisions for a final bonus.

Sugar has done a lot to make the train wreck that Hawai'i is heading towards: choke people and everybody broke.
Chris

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

Why is this important heritage going away? Easy. No one will work for the wage agricultural work will pay. You see the same thing in Puerto Rico. Family farms will work because family will work below minimum wage ( see coffee farms in Knoa). Agricultural unions in Hawaii killed Hawaii agriculture just as teacher unions have killed public education.
Fisherman

Lanai City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Chris wrote:
Why is this important heritage going away? Easy. No one will work for the wage agricultural work will pay. You see the same thing in Puerto Rico. Family farms will work because family will work below minimum wage ( see coffee farms in Knoa). Agricultural unions in Hawaii killed Hawaii agriculture just as teacher unions have killed public education.
I don't think you explained what you meant to say very well.
Do you mean that agriculture workers and teachers in Hawaii should be paid way less?
kapaa

Wahiawa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

The State of Hawaii should replace ALL sugar plantations and replace them with Medical Marijuana.The Tax Revenue the first harvest will solve all deficet shortfalls.
swannie

Ocean View, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Chris , Fisherman and kapaa all have good points. Hopefully if you live on a farm you don't have to worry about housing or commuting. The life is not exactly rocket science, but how many downtown office jobs in the rat race are? Finding the right crop to grow, I think transportation fuel like biodiesel or anything that will get you off the boom bust cycle that coffee is headed into now.
looser

Lahaina, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Yea free trade is good for American workers , RIGHT !
Another job sent over seas .
Good job
Realist

Waianae, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2009

Hah wrote:
I lived with my Aunt & Uncle at Spanish Bay in the 1970's & 80's before moving to Kahului. After that, they demolished SB and grew sugar cane as well. We now live on the island of Molokai and return to Maui a couple times a year on the ferry to go shopping. I often talk story with my wife & kids of how life in Puunene was like...I just happen to have grown up as a child in Maunaloa town on Molokai on the pineapple plantation in the 1960's and early 70's...and how special & fun it was. We did things as a community...we lived close together...we fought...we laughed...we cried...we mourned...we were a family. May I use that old cliche, "those were the good old days!"
Times are changing, no longer are we working side by side as in the old days but "specializing" in dis or dat:( so in turn, we don't congregate like we used to. I miss that life but that is what time & change does. Everything is but a memory now...probably never to be like what was. Aloha!
You sound like good stock quality people...it's a shame that we don't have more of you about. We will miss you to.

Love,
Massa
Realist

Waianae, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2009

You sound like good stock quality people...it's a shame that we don't have more of you about. We will miss you too.

Love,
Massa
Realist

Waianae, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2009

Fisherman wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you explained what you meant to say very well.
Do you mean that agriculture workers and teachers in Hawaii should be paid way less?
No....Chris meant to say that they should be horse-whipped. What did you think Chris meant to say?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kahului Discussions

Search the Kahului Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Sun Musikologist 9
Review: Aloha Gold Buyers LLC Aug 14 Marcus Leighman 1
Hawaii governor seeks to prime budget pump (Dec '07) Aug 11 Yellow Cab Driver 13
How we saved a bundle on a car in Maui by renti... Jun '14 elmar winkler 1
Review: Vishnevska, Nina MD - Nina Vishnevska MD (Mar '10) Jun '14 cat 5
Rudeness May '14 Ron Brinkhurst 2
Lisa Otsuka alias Katie Huang.... (Dec '12) May '14 Hurt by Katherine... 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Kahului Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••