First Flight - Business

First Flight - Business

There are 54 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Nov 20, 2008, titled First Flight - Business. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Mokulele Airlines debuted jet service yesterday with a morning flight from Honolulu to Lihue followed shortly by a flight from Kona to Honolulu.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Halawa

Renton, WA

#41 Nov 20, 2008
Mikey wrote:
<quoted text>
Just ask the pilots and flight attendants if they pay Hawaii State income tax!!! The answer is no! In fact, this is not legal because they are flying intra-state. The higher paying jobs should go to the locals, not just the minimum paying ones.
Mikey, if the pilots for Republic Airlines (flying the jets for Mokulele) are based in Hawaii and flying in Hawaii, they're paying state income tax. That's a fact.

halawa
Aloha Refugee

Honolulu, HI

#42 Nov 20, 2008
Halawa wrote:
<quoted text>Mikey, if the pilots for Republic Airlines (flying the jets for Mokulele) are based in Hawaii and flying in Hawaii, they're paying state income tax. That's a fact.
halawa
Wrong again, the go! pilots were not even eligible for the "Hawaii Prepaid Healthcare Act" which is a law. The reason, they were not residents of Hawaii. Go! pilots and FA's still don't get Hawaii medical coverage or pay Hawaii State Tax.

Jon Ornstein has a talent of pushing and testing laws meant to protect his employees, only to profit himself.
Aloha Refugee

Honolulu, HI

#43 Nov 20, 2008
Republic will probably be the same
Aloha Refugee

Honolulu, HI

#44 Nov 20, 2008
facts and laws mean nothing to these crooks
Mikey

Kailua Kona, HI

#45 Nov 21, 2008
Halawa wrote:
<quoted text>Mikey, if the pilots for Republic Airlines (flying the jets for Mokulele) are based in Hawaii and flying in Hawaii, they're paying state income tax. That's a fact.
halawa
Halawa, just because you are based in a state doesn't mean you pay that state's income tax. If you live in WA, you should know! Ask any native WA resident, especially those that live near the state line. You can easily claim WA as your place of residence, but work in Oregon, Montana, New York, etc., and you still pay WA state income tax, which is nothing because WA doesn't have any state income tax. Same is true for the Republic employees! If they claim WA as their place of residence, they pay WA state income tax, which is nothing. If you still don't believe me, go ask a CPA or your human resources department at work!!!
Mikey

Kailua Kona, HI

#46 Nov 21, 2008
Halawa wrote:
halawa
Halawa, the fact is, they pay the state income tax where they claim residency, not where they work. That's the Law!!! Just think about it logically, a pilot, flight attendant, or traveling salesman, for instance, work in various states from day to day. Do you think they pay state income tax for every state they are in? NO! For the Republic employees, it's anywhere, but Hawaii!
Perspective

Portland, OR

#47 Nov 21, 2008
Haole wrote:
and Mokulele isn't local? they the only airline based in hawaii... last i checked Hawaiian is a publicly traded Delaware corporation... at least Mokulele is incorporated here.
Actually, the jets that Mokulele is utilizing on their routes are from a company called Republic,(mainland company), using Republic air crews, i.e. wet lease, dba Mokulele. Kind of like Mesa dba Go.

Hawaiian Airlines is not a deleware company. Hawaiian holdings is a Deleware company because of more favorable corprate laws in that state. Not sure what the details are but many holding companies are Deleware based even though they have nothing to do with Deleware...

Hawaiian Airlines employees over 3000 local people in the state of Hawaii and provides business to many local vendors. They have been doing bussiness in Hawaii since 1929 and is the states largest airline and I would guess, one of the largest contributors to the economy in Hawaii that is locally based.
Perspective

Portland, OR

#48 Nov 21, 2008
I fly wrote:
<quoted text>
Willie, any airline exec worth a cent can write an airline business plan. The difficoult is in implementing it. Most of Hawaiian information were public anyway. But as I mentioned, at time law and justice are not even related. I am not sure what Go could have learned fron Hawaiian that you and I couldn't have learned also. As I said, the majority were public informations. As for judges ruling, we have thousand of example of wrong rulings.
Just curious,

What was wrong about the judges ruling?
Perspective

Portland, OR

#49 Nov 21, 2008
Mikey wrote:
<quoted text>
Halawa, the fact is, they pay the state income tax where they claim residency, not where they work. That's the Law!!! Just think about it logically, a pilot, flight attendant, or traveling salesman, for instance, work in various states from day to day. Do you think they pay state income tax for every state they are in? NO! For the Republic employees, it's anywhere, but Hawaii!
You are right.

But I think the point is that Mokulele is not creating jobs and hiring local pilots and flight attendants to fly their jets.

In the end, the positions are filled by importing labor from the mainland. This is unfortunate considering there are lots of experienced and talented pilots and flight attendants that Aloha once employed located right here in Hawaii.
Boyer the next JO

Honolulu, HI

#50 Nov 22, 2008
Well, just to let the flying public know that Mokulele better hope and pray they get the much anticipated business it WAS expecting. 1st day of business and their first flight was delayed an hour and a half. The next day they cancelled 3 flights due to very little to no passengers. Their flight to Lihue had only 10 passengers, 4 of which were employees. I give them at least till summer to fill up their planes. If not, I see Bill Boyer eating his words and flushing Mokulele downt he toilet. Bill Boyer is an arrogant and heartless person. He will say anything to get anyone to listen to him, and even shed a few tears for the media.
Mikey

Mililani, HI

#51 Nov 22, 2008
Boyer the next JO wrote:
Well, just to let the flying public know that Mokulele better hope and pray they get the much anticipated business it WAS expecting. 1st day of business and their first flight was delayed an hour and a half. The next day they cancelled 3 flights due to very little to no passengers. Their flight to Lihue had only 10 passengers, 4 of which were employees. I give them at least till summer to fill up their planes. If not, I see Bill Boyer eating his words and flushing Mokulele downt he toilet. Bill Boyer is an arrogant and heartless person. He will say anything to get anyone to listen to him, and even shed a few tears for the media.
Boyer learned from the best: Jonathan Ornstein!!!
noflygo

Kaunakakai, HI

#52 Nov 23, 2008
There is an idiot out there that hates hawaiian cause they ordered european airbuses and did not support the american boeing. Where is that fool. I want to hear his idiotic thoughts on mokulele flying brazilian embraers.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#54 Nov 24, 2008
noflygo wrote:
There is an idiot out there that hates hawaiian cause they ordered european airbuses and did not support the american boeing. Where is that fool. I want to hear his idiotic thoughts on mokulele flying brazilian embraers.
I don't hate Hawaiian but I do support Boeing.

As for the Embraers, Boeing doesn't have a similar class of aircraft so I don't see a problem.
willie

Plymouth, MI

#55 Nov 24, 2008
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't hate Hawaiian but I do support Boeing.
As for the Embraers, Boeing doesn't have a similar class of aircraft so I don't see a problem.
So what does Boeing have that is equal to the A330 in terms of load, distance and fuel economy?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kahului Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joe Groomes (Mar '17) Aug '17 Nancy Groomes 2
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Jul '17 Musikologist 14
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Apr '17 Musikologist 6
Kihei/Wailea House Rental Sleep 8 // Dec 17- Ja... (Mar '17) Mar '17 sherrykate 1
Old town Paia (Jan '17) Jan '17 Fukmi 1
News Hawaiian Islands Weather Details & Aloha Paragr... (Feb '16) Feb '16 ben 1
News Hawaiian Islands Weather details & Aloha Paragr... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Treetop rider 2

Kahului Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kahului Mortgages