Hawaiian adds interisland flights - News

Hawaiian adds interisland flights - News

There are 30 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Oct 3, 2008, titled Hawaiian adds interisland flights - News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

The first of four new Hawaiian Airlines aircraft flew its inaugural flight yesterday from Honolulu to Maui following a blessing ceremony marking the carrier's fleet expansion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wackie

Wahiawa, HI

#1 Oct 3, 2008
This State needs another air carrier to bring the transportation cost down for the Kamaaina's .
leekwaitim

San Jose, CA

#2 Oct 3, 2008
The nation is going into a recession, Go's traffic is up 11%, Hawaiian's higher with the addition of aircraft. The interisland market is finally stabalizing but the State needs competition. Not until oil comes down to a bench mark of USD80.00 or less will the economy be able to even think about competition in the aviation field. It was boom or bust with the cheap fares but in Hawaii, it hurts even more. Here on the mainland we at least have an alternative in Southwest Airlines but that's because they hedged on fuel. Another carrier in Hawaii won't solve the basic problem of what happened to Aloha Airlines, over capacity, irresponsible management by the CEO and CFO, and lack of support from the State Government.

The dark horse in Hawaii...? Don't count Island Air out of the mix. Once they have their business plan set up, watch out Hawaiian and Go. Everyone knows Hawaiian subsidizes the interisland and international markets with their mainland routes. For now, Hawaii - get used to high fares!
kapaa

Lihue, HI

#3 Oct 3, 2008
Hawaiian and Go were able to bump off Aloha but that was a miamanaged company anyway. now watch as airfares go sky high..all in the plan and no stopping them now.to coincidental that as soon as aloha goes go has to pony up millions to hawaiian...if you beleive that I have a bridge for sale and it goes from Dupe aiona house over to uncle walters on molokai
No Support For Aloha

Kaneohe, HI

#4 Oct 3, 2008
Locals showed NO support for Aloha Airlines by flying on the CHEAP wanna be airline GO!. Well guess what people no more Aloha so now you can pay the higher prices that GO! has you believed the RICH HAOLE that he wanted you to go see your Grandma in Hilo remember...
AUWAE
mickey

Honolulu, HI

#5 Oct 3, 2008
No one wants to start up an inter-island carrier now. Credit is tight.Airlines are cutting back, but not Hawaiian.You can't make money flying inter-island. That's why Hawaiian started flying to the mainland and beyond.
At least Hawaiian is increasing flights to the neighbor islands with new jets not small old planes.Hawaiian is not cutting back flights ,jets or personnel.They have plans to fly to Asia and beyond. An they are getting newer fuel efficient planes in a few years. They are doing little thing to cut fuel as the paper said a few days ago.
Hawaiian is one of a few airlines that Wall street says that has a bright future.
At least Hawaiian is trying creat jobs and bring more people to Hawaii.
George Bush

United States

#6 Oct 3, 2008
mickey wrote:
No one wants to start up an inter-island carrier now. Credit is tight.Airlines are cutting back, but not Hawaiian.You can't make money flying inter-island. That's why Hawaiian started flying to the mainland and beyond.
At least Hawaiian is increasing flights to the neighbor islands with new jets not small old planes.Hawaiian is not cutting back flights ,jets or personnel.They have plans to fly to Asia and beyond. An they are getting newer fuel efficient planes in a few years. They are doing little thing to cut fuel as the paper said a few days ago.
Hawaiian is one of a few airlines that Wall street says that has a bright future.
At least Hawaiian is trying creat jobs and bring more people to Hawaii.
Are you sure Hawaiian is creating jobs?? They outsource most if not all local jobs overseas,Now look at the cost of flying interisland more than double or triple, All you locals blame Go but look who really benefited from Aloha's demise THINK ABOUT IT. Yes its true Go has increased their fares but not nearly as high as Hawaiian. If You think back In the 1980's when Mid Pacific and other startups tried to enter the interisland market,It was Hawaiian and Aloha who demolished the new startups and now when Go enters the market( with a little more cash in their bank) Hawaiian and Aloha cries foul,so who really is the predator THINK ABOUT THAT ONE TOO>
Bring Back--

Ewa Beach, HI

#7 Oct 3, 2008
Bring back our locally based telephone reservation people. I'm exasperated by the phone people they have outsourced to in the Philippines. I can barely understand many of the HAL operators now. On top of that, I have caught some of them giving bad or untrue information. Bring back our locally based reservation and customer assistance people!
RAH

Kailua Kona, HI

#8 Oct 3, 2008
wackie wrote:
This State needs another air carrier to bring the transportation cost down for the Kamaaina's .
Another airline will start interisland flying with bigger and better airplanes than go! has, this will happen very soon. When it does go is history.
mickey

Honolulu, HI

#9 Oct 3, 2008
Look at the market. NO ONE wants to start up an interisland carrier where you barely eek out a profits or just lose money.No one wants to lose money. If there is a rich person out their willing to put hundreds of millions of dollars into an inter-island carrier why hasn't he or she done it yet. Inter-island business is a tough market.
At least Hawaiian offered everyone is res to move within the company or an early out benifits. Not like other companies who just outright fire them. A lot of companies had to out source some of their divisions to keep cost down and be competitive.
Hawaiian barely made money even with Aloha out. Think anyone can make money with 3. History has proved it 3 large carriers in interisland will be bad for everyone.
Hawaiian at least hired as many of Aloha's people as they could to fit it's company.

“in all things be pono, aloha”

Since: Aug 07

moloka'I, hawaii

#10 Oct 3, 2008
i wished moloka'i air shuttle came back. they served us well for 40 years. then the government made the rule that any airline which is "unscheduled on demand" and flies more than 5 flights daily has to switch to becoming a sheduled one. their planes would often be flying empty, and upon this demand they could not stay in business, so they quit right then and there.
government regulation wich are impossible to afford often put companies out of business, just another service which got killed by government.

“s'up”

Since: Sep 07

Davis, CA now King City, CA

#11 Oct 3, 2008
After the shutdown of Aloha Airlines in April, the airline expanded its flight schedule and started flying its spare long-range Boeing 767-300 between Honolulu and Maui.
Why use a long distance airplane like the 767 on puddle jump flights? Makes no sense. Just to burn up some air time?
Blame The Republicans

Wahiawa, HI

#12 Oct 3, 2008
Hawaiian adding more planes. GREAT! Beats the 3 hour ride on the SupahFairy!

It's great that there's an alternative for those who cannot afford to fly, but I rather get to my destination in twenty minutes.
puzzled

Honolulu, HI

#13 Oct 3, 2008
wackie wrote:
This State needs another air carrier to bring the transportation cost down for the Kamaaina's .
What are you talking about I thought everyone loved GO airlines for bringing down the costs. How fast things have changed.
puzzled

Honolulu, HI

#14 Oct 3, 2008
Mach5Motorsport wrote:
<quoted text>
Why use a long distance airplane like the 767 on puddle jump flights? Makes no sense. Just to burn up some air time?
They needed the seats to cover the loss of seats by Aloha Airlines.
puzzled

Honolulu, HI

#15 Oct 3, 2008
George Bush wrote:
<quoted text>Are you sure Hawaiian is creating jobs?? They outsource most if not all local jobs overseas,Now look at the cost of flying interisland more than double or triple, All you locals blame Go but look who really benefited from Aloha's demise THINK ABOUT IT. Yes its true Go has increased their fares but not nearly as high as Hawaiian. If You think back In the 1980's when Mid Pacific and other startups tried to enter the interisland market,It was Hawaiian and Aloha who demolished the new startups and now when Go enters the market( with a little more cash in their bank) Hawaiian and Aloha cries foul,so who really is the predator THINK ABOUT THAT ONE TOO>
I don't think that GO (mesa) Airlines has too much cash left. Look at their stock prices their at .35 cents. Serves them right for putting another airline out of business.
go gone

Kailua Kona, HI

#16 Oct 3, 2008
puzzled wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think that GO (mesa) Airlines has too much cash left. Look at their stock prices their at .35 cents. Serves them right for putting another airline out of business.
Mesa just hired a new COO, Paul Foley from Mesaba Air, and started canning mangers. Ask people at Mesaba about this guy. Bankruptcy is close.
passenger

Kailua Kona, HI

#17 Oct 3, 2008
halemalu wrote:
i wished moloka'i air shuttle came back. they served us well for 40 years. then the government made the rule that any airline which is "unscheduled on demand" and flies more than 5 flights daily has to switch to becoming a sheduled one. their planes would often be flying empty, and upon this demand they could not stay in business, so they quit right then and there.
government regulation wich are impossible to afford often put companies out of business, just another service which got killed by government.
The government didn't just make up the rule that you mention, it's been this way forever. Molokai Shuttle was a scheduled airline but changed to a cheaper to operate on demand type operation, or so they said. They attempted to skate around federal aviation regulations and they got caught. Why should they be exempt from rules that all other airlines abide by? Put another way, they cut corners. Do you really want to fly on an airline that cuts corners?
FACT

Honolulu, HI

#18 Oct 3, 2008
WHY ARE PEOPLE CRYING ABOUT THE COST OF AIRFARE? THINK HOW MUCH YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THE TRIP FROM THE AIRPORT TO WAIKIKI ON TAXI?
alice

Honolulu, HI

#19 Oct 3, 2008
No Support For Aloha wrote:
Locals showed NO support for Aloha Airlines by flying on the CHEAP wanna be airline GO!. Well guess what people no more Aloha so now you can pay the higher prices that GO! has you believed the RICH HAOLE that he wanted you to go see your Grandma in Hilo remember...
AUWAE
Relax. Prices were pretty high before GO! came into the market. Prices might actually be the same.

“in all things be pono, aloha”

Since: Aug 07

moloka'I, hawaii

#20 Oct 3, 2008
passenger wrote:
<quoted text>
The government didn't just make up the rule that you mention, it's been this way forever. Molokai Shuttle was a scheduled airline but changed to a cheaper to operate on demand type operation, or so they said. They attempted to skate around federal aviation regulations and they got caught. Why should they be exempt from rules that all other airlines abide by? Put another way, they cut corners. Do you really want to fly on an airline that cuts corners?
yes, i want my own plane! then i buzz my house.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kahului Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lisa Otsuka alias Katie Huang.... (Dec '12) Nov '17 Big balls 5
Joe Groomes (Mar '17) Aug '17 Nancy Groomes 2
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Jul '17 Musikologist 14
Kula Music Thread (Dec '14) Apr '17 Musikologist 6
Kihei/Wailea House Rental Sleep 8 // Dec 17- Ja... (Mar '17) Mar '17 sherrykate 1
News Hawaiian Islands Weather Details & Aloha Paragr... (Feb '16) Feb '16 ben 1
News Hawaiian Islands Weather details & Aloha Paragr... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Treetop rider 2

Kahului Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kahului Mortgages