Maui Pine eliminates another 100 jobs - Hawaii News

Maui Land & Pineapple Co. says that this week will be the last for 100 of its 795 employees working at its Kapalua Resort and corporate headquarters in Kahului. Full Story

Since: Mar 08

Aiea, HI

#1 Feb 25, 2009
Don't feel too bad. Soon everyone will be homeless.

At least you can claim Unemployment benefits and that is more than many people can do.

So count your blessings and hope this mess won't last much longer.
alice

Pahoa, HI

#2 Feb 25, 2009
Maui Land and Pine has been badly managed for many years Lingle tells me.
Cat Manapua

Saint George, UT

#3 Feb 25, 2009
I got an idea! let's give our legislators a big fat 36% raise for having improved the State's business climate!
JoeLocal

Honolulu, HI

#4 Feb 25, 2009
All the locals are losing their jobs.

Unfortunate results:
More unemployment
More taxes
No need for Hispanics
More crime
Haoles will be targeted
Less tourists
Less State revenues
More locals let go...

Sad but true state we live in.
island guy

Bishop, CA

#5 Feb 25, 2009
Wonder how the employee's feel about getting laid off while MLP (Kapalua) sinks millions into Mokulele. Surely the Kapalua banner on their aircraft comes with a price. As Alice stated, "Badly Managed"
August

United States

#7 Feb 25, 2009
What are all the illegal Mexicans going to do now? You know it's not easy breaking immigration laws, stealing valid social security numbers from mailboxes, getting fake "Legal" ID's, lying on job applications & forms, getting knocked up ASAP to have an anchor baby to stay & qualify for all public benefits, filling out food stamp forms, getting section 8 housing, living in section 8 housing with 15 other illegals, and getting 100% paid Hawaii Heath Care. Boy the road to the American dream is tough.!
No Can

United States

#8 Feb 25, 2009
Very sad. Very very sad.

Since: Mar 08

Aiea, HI

#9 Feb 25, 2009
August wrote:
What are all the illegal Mexicans going to do now? You know it's not easy breaking immigration laws, stealing valid social security numbers from mailboxes, getting fake "Legal" ID's, lying on job applications & forms, getting knocked up ASAP to have an anchor baby to stay & qualify for all public benefits, filling out food stamp forms, getting section 8 housing, living in section 8 housing with 15 other illegals, and getting 100% paid Hawaii Heath Care. Boy the road to the American dream is tough.!
That is the only good thing about a bad economy
I think it's called a silver lining?

Anyway according to our politicians all is well.
Soon there will many new projects and many new jobs available for everyone. I can't wait until the year 2012. It's only right around the corner. Damn, we can stand on our head for that short time. Hummmmmm, wasn't the world supposed to end in the Year 2012?
alice

Pahoa, HI

#11 Feb 25, 2009
very badly managed company

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#12 Feb 25, 2009
Is it bad management or economics? Here in California, I used to be able to be able to buy Maui Gold Pineapples at Costco... today everything comes in from Central and South America. Sugar by C&H from Peru, Pineapples from Costa Rica, times are changing and Hawaii cannot sustain or compete against cheaper labor or modernized manufacturing facilities. Maui Land and Pine isn't about the pine... it's about the land. If you wonder why Steve Case purchased the company... it wasn't because he wanted to get into old time agriculture. Now if you turn the crop into pakalolo... the State of Hawaii would have all their budget problems solved!
August

United States

#13 Feb 26, 2009
All the Pineapples at my store are from the Philipines. What's going on? I thought they grew like weeds.
alice

Pahoa, HI

#14 Feb 26, 2009
fleebs wrote:
Is it bad management or economics? Here in California, I used to be able to be able to buy Maui Gold Pineapples at Costco... today everything comes in from Central and South America. Sugar by C&H from Peru, Pineapples from Costa Rica, times are changing and Hawaii cannot sustain or compete against cheaper labor or modernized manufacturing facilities. Maui Land and Pine isn't about the pine... it's about the land. If you wonder why Steve Case purchased the company... it wasn't because he wanted to get into old time agriculture. Now if you turn the crop into pakalolo... the State of Hawaii would have all their budget problems solved!
true enough
j boog

Bonney Lake, WA

#15 Aug 21, 2009
Just cause you live in Hawaii doesnt make you Hawaiian....Most of da people that live here are Haoles (foreign)japs,phillipinos,span ish,africans they Haoles too........
[
polynesian qween

Honolulu, HI

#16 Aug 26, 2009
j boog wrote:
Just cause you live in Hawaii doesnt make you Hawaiian....Most of da people that live here are Haoles (foreign)japs,phillipinos,span ish,africans they Haoles too........
[
true dat well anywhu im a full tongan n i live in maui...malo aupito

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kahului Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you approve of Gilbert Keith-Agaran as State... Aug 30 J. Eagle 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug 17 Musikologist 9
Review: Aloha Gold Buyers LLC Aug '14 Marcus Leighman 1
Hawaii governor seeks to prime budget pump (Dec '07) Aug '14 Yellow Cab Driver 13
How we saved a bundle on a car in Maui by renti... Jun '14 elmar winkler 1
Review: Vishnevska, Nina MD - Nina Vishnevska MD (Mar '10) Jun '14 cat 5
Rudeness (Mar '14) May '14 Ron Brinkhurst 2
•••
•••
•••

Kahului Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••