tx machinist

Desoto, TX

#21 Apr 17, 2013
JB Erie wrote:
Not trying to sound arrogant, but we've read where alot of your machinists only have a 4 week crash coarse at a local community college?? Just curious because everything we learn here comes from training and knowledge from other Union guys. This is the only place I've ever worked that my boss does not know how to do my job...and I mean doesn't have an f'n CLUE!!
They hired people with machining experience and then sent everyone to that class. Believe me, that class was a joke to 95% hired. They just wanted to make sure everyone was on at least the same level when we started. There are some with more experience than others but we work together to make sure everyone gets enough training. So no they didn't just hire people off the street.
tx machinist

Desoto, TX

#22 Apr 17, 2013
Our bosses are pretty much the same way too.
JB Erie

Albion, PA

#23 Apr 17, 2013
I've worked for two union shops and two non-union shops. The first union shop was a Steelmill and even though the Steelworkers was a shitty union, the company treated the receptionist with more respect than the guy pouring iron and breathing silica for 25+ years. We were peasants in their eyes, and those guys average what you make, except all new hires now make 10 bucks an hour. The second shop was non-union and it took me 2 monthes to move on after finding out the owner lied to me in the interview about, cost of benefits, average wages, bonus's and length of years his employees had with him. Third shop was a non-union shop and wasn't too bad. Good benefits, lower wage scale but usually had overtime. But boss liked to waive a stack of resumes around when guys got tired of working 60+ hours a week threatening that we'd be replaced. I haven't had any trouble at GE other than being lied to by BL's and PTA's, but I learned to expect that. Some young PTA's fresh off the street like to try to prove something, but they quickly learn to back off and let the guys do their jobs. I have seen some slackers, every shop has them. But the overwhelming majority of us work our asses off, most of us are piecework afterall.
I understand your reasoning about individual raises and layoffs. But as long as their are suck-ups, which their will be, things will not be as fair as you hope they will. Also, what happens when GE makes another Billion dollars profit but decide you only deserve a .10 raise or no raise at all.And since their won't be any slackers at the Texas plant since GE won't tolerate that, from your earlier post about how they've already fired about 10 guys, how do you determine the criteria when a lay-off does eventually happen And believe me it will happen, Guys here got used to being laid off every few years, had one in 2002,2009 and now 2013 plus all the times in the 70's 80's and 90's. Afterall, GE doesn't get a reputation for hiring a bunch of people to make a big order then laying them off for nothing. So back to the lay-off, if you take your 2 ten minute breaks and go to the bathroom twice a day, but the guy on the machine beside you doesn't take a break and uses,tge bathroom once a day and averages 5 more parts a day than you, do you deserve to be laid off before him if say you have five more years than him? Does he deserve a bigger raise than you even though you only take your allowed breaks? I already know what GE's answers to those questions are. And considering that you guys would be the most senior employees, it's a no brainer to me. But I have my own opinion on things will go for you guys. Question, do you guys get IEA, guaranteed benefits for a year and 5 years recall rights if you get laid off?
Tester26

Erie, PA

#24 Apr 18, 2013
Hello all, I just found this blog. I can say that most don't blame anyone for wanting a good job and take care of their families. I just wanted to give some background on myself. I worked non-union most of my life.. I do understand tx machinist comments. Pay based on performance! And how he feels that layoffs should occur the same way. That is a double edged sword. Let me explain. Performance can be increased more easily in the beginning, also productivity. Even the best worker will max out. Your pay will rise and you will prosper. Then over time, you get older, your equipment gets older and your pay scale has gone up. The efficiency and performance will be affected. Now your later in your career. Say 10 or 15 years. New hired workers make 20% less than you, are more eager and have better health, less vacation time, less family obligations, etc... Under your more logical decision scenario , you should be let go? The company will be more profitable with out you? I doubt you will feel that's very fair or just at that time. I do wish you the best of luck in your new position there with Ge.
JB Erie

Albion, PA

#25 Apr 18, 2013
All were asking is give the UE an honest thought and don't dismiss us as the same unions you guys had issues with in the past. And if you've never been in a union, then definatly don't believe everything you've heard just on hear-say! Most people hating on unions have never been part of a good union before.
If 18 an hr is a fair wage for you guys then I'm real curious as to what the average skilled Machinists and Tradesmen make down there?
tx machinist

Grove City, PA

#26 Apr 18, 2013
The machinist here start at $22 and hour. That is above average for the area starting out.
JB Erie

Jersey City, NJ

#27 Apr 18, 2013
Sounds like you guys are only a few years away from our rates, especially if you get 2 raises in the first year
JB Erie

Jersey City, NJ

#28 Apr 18, 2013
Also, at the union meeting today, the National UE president said not to be hating on you guys, we are all brothers and sisters. It's the Corporate Greed that we have a fight with and not the workers in Texas. I sense alot of pride in your work skills and ethics from your posts, and their's nothing wrong with that. But please don't hold it against us or our former union president for having the same pride. I've seen some nasty comments go back and forth and I was glad to see it addressed that that's not the right way to go about business. GE would love to see this play out as us against you. And I know that you guys are thinking that GE is the greatest thing in the world, I felt the same way when I was hired here. But, sadly, you guys will eventually end up feeling the same way most of us and other GE shops feel...that you can't trust GE, they have the shareholder's and other millionares interest's at heart, not the common working man.
We were told the International has union reps there handing out pamphlets. I can understand where you guys would be nervous talking to them in public. If there is an interest, we will get email adresses or phone numbers and post them here for you to contact UE officials with questions or concerns
tx machinist

Desoto, TX

#29 Apr 18, 2013
I've only been with GE for about 9 months. It's far from the best thing in the world but it's ok. The pay is average but the insurance is a lot cheaper than my previous job. Like I said previously, we'll have to deal with the union some way or another. Either it being picketing or having a vote. Most of us could see that coming from a mile away. Just like Erie should have seen the current situation coming. We haven't been told not to be hating on you guys but we have been told to take into consideration why there might be some negative comments pointed towards us.
STEELER COUNTRY

Mars, PA

#30 Apr 18, 2013
for one thing,you guys are mostly Dallas cowboy fans.
tx machinist

Desoto, TX

#31 Apr 18, 2013
STEELER COUNTRY wrote:
And some of you guys assume way to much. Go Pack Go.
GE_Tejas_Machini st

Grove City, PA

#32 Apr 19, 2013
STEELER COUNTRY wrote:
Yes you do assume way too much!!!
Who Dat nation down here too!!! Go Saints!!
so what

United States

#33 Dec 20, 2013
How are things at the Fr Worth plant ?
so what

United States

#34 Dec 23, 2013
So how are things at the Fort Worth plant ?
mario

Fort Worth, TX

#35 Jan 10, 2014
Most of the warehouses in Fort Worth treat people like shit. Honestly. GE may be different. I've lived in several different states and cities and honestly I have never lived anywhere where there is such a huge reliance on "Temps" and the temps get treated miserable. They get robbed of wages, threatened in orientation and all throughout their employment, and get no health benefits or any other benefits. I will apply at GE. If it is different.

Texas tolerate abuse of their workers. That is the reason so many companies are moving to Texas. Watch the wages. When companies relocate to Texas the wages BOTTOM OUT. The south in general, especially Texas, has always been about Exploitation. Also the workers are very vulnerable. They have less rights in this state.

Don't trust the people communicating on this thread if they say otherwise. Lots of poverty in Fort Worth too. Most jobs only pay minimum wage.

Since: May 13

Aubrey, TX

#36 Jan 11, 2014
mario wrote:
Most of the warehouses in Fort Worth treat people like shit. Honestly. GE may be different. I've lived in several different states and cities and honestly I have never lived anywhere where there is such a huge reliance on "Temps" and the temps get treated miserable. They get robbed of wages, threatened in orientation and all throughout their employment, and get no health benefits or any other benefits. I will apply at GE. If it is different.

Texas tolerate abuse of their workers. That is the reason so many companies are moving to Texas. Watch the wages. When companies relocate to Texas the wages BOTTOM OUT. The south in general, especially Texas, has always been about Exploitation. Also the workers are very vulnerable. They have less rights in this state.

Don't trust the people communicating on this thread if they say otherwise. Lots of poverty in Fort Worth too. Most jobs only pay minimum wage.
GE doesn't rely on temps. There is an interview and testing process to get hired. Once you are hired there is a training period before you start working. Their pay is substantially more than minimum wage. Jobs that rely on temp agencies usually do so due to a large turnover rate. This may be due to low pay or just being a shitty job, I do not know. Metropolitan areas such as Fort Worth tend to have higher poverty rates due to a larger supply of cheap housing. That's a different topic all together. I worked at GE in the machine shop. I left because I did not like their management style. Being a machinist, that is a luxury in Texas. There are plenty of well paying jobs for experienced machinist.
what da hell

United States

#37 Jan 16, 2014
tx machinist wrote:
<quoted text>
GE doesn't rely on temps. There is an interview and testing process to get hired. Once you are hired there is a training period before you start working. Their pay is substantially more than minimum wage. Jobs that rely on temp agencies usually do so due to a large turnover rate. This may be due to low pay or just being a shitty job, I do not know. Metropolitan areas such as Fort Worth tend to have higher poverty rates due to a larger supply of cheap housing. That's a different topic all together. I worked at GE in the machine shop. I left because I did not like their management style. Being a machinist, that is a luxury in Texas. There are plenty of well paying jobs for experienced machinist.

So let me get this straight , you left the almighty GE ? How dare you , they think they are the only game in town ! Good for you
John

North Richland Hills, TX

#38 Mar 6, 2014
I think we need to get a union started in the Loco plant down here.
what da hell

United States

#40 Mar 12, 2014
John wrote:

Then you guys need to contact the UE to get more details . You would be doing the right thing .
Hank Hill

United States

#41 Mar 31, 2014
John wrote:
So what have the workers at the Fort Worth plant done about this ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Justin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Sat Field of Farts 819
Debate: Marijuana - Fort Worth, TX (Aug '10) Sat carol 93
DFW area K2, spice, synthetic Cannabis Sat carol 6
Review: WS Smoke Shop Sat carol 1
Vice for Mayor of Dish May 1 Customer 1
News Runoff victor to be publicly sworn in as family... (Sep '06) Apr 28 alanasrealmom 87
Paschal High School LGBT Class of 83 Reunion Apr 27 Bruce King 3
More from around the web

Justin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]