|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

She back wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, but now we also have (for top positions especially) the Friends (of the politically connected) Plan, as well.
Like India and Singapore and Hong Kong used to be the dumping grounds for the potentially embarrassing but well connected "remittance men" of the British Empire, so Lyons is beginning to look like it's serving the same function for the Crook County Democratic Party...with one difference: the families of the British RMs paid the freight for their folks, but we here in Lyons are picking up the tab for this latest crop.
I kinda like this crop....if you don't mind.
brrrr

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

My Choice wrote:
<quoted text>
I kinda like this crop....if you don't mind.
Perhaps you could share the basis (performance or accomplshment wise) for your perference?
Miller

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

"Betrayal is the only truth that sticks".
WTH

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

I love it - people who sa "they did it, too" as an excuse for the abuse of privlege. Gee, Ken stle from the village, so I guess its OK if everyone else does it, too!
WTH

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

This interesting...

"Village of Lyons welcomes Chicagolandís Premier Basketball School" - from Getty's Blog.

Problem #1: They pay no sales tax.
Problem #2: According to their web site (from the link on the Blog) they are located in McCook.

Another business coupe for Lyons?
How Many

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

She back wrote:
<quoted text>
Please, "betrayal"? This is local politics, not a husband cheating on his wife and then abandoning his children, or giving aid, comfort and assistance to enemies of this nation. No one pledge homage to any local political power, and anyway, homage involved reciprocol obligations and responsibilities.
But to answer yet another one line zinger intended to discredit without enlightening, my answer to you is, which "betrayal" do you mean? Because in truth, the betrayal that sticks in my mind began
back in June of 2009, with passage of Ordinance 06-16-09-03 amidst meetings - all behind closed doors, of course - on how to tap into water and sewer fees to service unrelated debt.
I can explain later, in detail, if you want. But that was the moment any pretense of transparency and openess from UCP died, along with the truth that they kept - or even wanted to keep - our taxes low.
....how many meetings did you attend from 2009 to present, and where you in attendance at the above mentioned meeting ?
How Many

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

were not where...my mistake !
Guess Again

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

http://www.villageoflyons-il.net/Government/M...

who was in control of the board ?
abc

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

..we have manager form of government
Martini Straight UP

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

She back

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

http://www.suntimes.com/news/18048464-452/bur...

Ah, Martini, Springfield is soooo far away...Here's something closer to home, much closer. Note certain members of the Dart "friends and family plan" bear a possible resemblence to a Lyons official.
Shamrock

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

She back wrote:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/1 8048464-452/burke-son-among-co ok-county-sheriff-tom-darts-cl out-hires.html?intcmp=emailhea dlines
Ah, Martini, Springfield is soooo far away...Here's something closer to home, much closer. Note certain members of the Dart "friends and family plan" bear a possible resemblence to a Lyons official.
That's why they call it the "Luck of the Irish". Some truth to it !
AandG

Lockport, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Can't wait to be back in the Village of Lyons!!!
http://www.ancelglink.com/Attorney/Adam-W-Las...
WTH

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Question: since this "Basketball School" is leasing the church gymnasium, does the church now become commercial property and have to pay property taxes? Or does it retain its tax exempt status, which means we get no sales tax and no property tax, but our paramedics have to respond to every injury that may occur? Is this growth? Or a burden on all of us?
beware

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

abc wrote:
..we have manager form of government
I see where you're going. Planning to blame everything on the Village Manager for taking orders from Getty (just as he does with his trustees). Talk about throwing someone under the bus! Of couse, maybe that was Getty's plan all along!
She back

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Funny, AandG, where in the linked article does it mention that Adam has ANY pretensions of representing VOL (or any other municipality, for that matter?)

Unlike Burt, of our current VOL law firm, who not only practices election and muni law, but also expanded into banking. Still a Director of the holding company that owned all of failed New City Bank, according to their latest Form D filing. A bank failure that cost the FDIC over $17M.

Didn't VOL have a loan from New City Bank, at least until it was refinanced into the 2012 oh-so-private debt certificates? And Wait, didn't VOL issue a 2012 Debt Certificate Payment check on the January warrant to Burt and his wife for $4851.07 (check #62546)?

Seems to me the two firms - as far as their past history with Lyons goes - are two sides of the same coin.
WTH

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Answer: "Even though an organization is recognized as tax exempt, it still may be liable for tax on its unrelated business income. For most organizations, unrelated business income is income from a trade or business, regularly carried on, that is not substantially related to the charitable, educational, or other purpose that is the basis of the organization's exemption."

This is the IRS ruling which would seem to indicate that the portion of the property used for financial gain would be subject to property taxes. But it would take a lawyer to answer that for sure.
Shamrock

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

She back wrote:
Funny, AandG, where in the linked article does it mention that Adam has ANY pretensions of representing VOL (or any other municipality, for that matter?)
Unlike Burt, of our current VOL law firm, who not only practices election and muni law, but also expanded into banking. Still a Director of the holding company that owned all of failed New City Bank, according to their latest Form D filing. A bank failure that cost the FDIC over $17M.
Didn't VOL have a loan from New City Bank, at least until it was refinanced into the 2012 oh-so-private debt certificates? And Wait, didn't VOL issue a 2012 Debt Certificate Payment check on the January warrant to Burt and his wife for $4851.07 (check #62546)?
Seems to me the two firms - as far as their past history with Lyons goes - are two sides of the same coin.
Adam represented Gatz on the challenging of the petitions.
WTH

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

She back wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, according to the Illinois Department of Revenue's guide, "The Illinois Property Tax System" (available for download at their website):
"Leaseholders pay property taxes on real property leased from an owner whose property is exempt."
Seem to recollect that this was an issue a few years back for some Oak Park businesses that had been leasing property on Lake Street that was owned by the municipality.
Hope the village is paying attention...thanks for posting this have been tied up for several days, not a lot of time to research.
She back

Greenfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Shamrock wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam represented Gatz on the challenging of the petitions.
Burt Odelson represented later-to-be TLC Trustee Bergman on the challenging of the petitions for backdoor referendum on issuance of GO bonds for TIF 3.(He lost; the sale of General Obligation bonds to fund that TIF was defeated at the polls; even though lien bonds not subject to referendum were subsequently sold, they weren't guaranteed by a pledge to raise property taxes). It took President Getty and UCP getting control of the Village Board in 2011 to bring Odelson and his firm in.

Ellen Raymond who defended the above-mentioned petitions never became VOL attorney, now did she?

Now what's your point about Adam representing Gatz? Ancel Glink, Odelson Sterk: once again, two sides of the same coin.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Justice Discussions

Search the Justice Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Oak Lawn fire chief to also run Chicago Ridge FD 18 min Jack in the box 42
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 25 min Te rigs 48,996
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 36 min nono 3,845
time for a change in midlo park dist 2 hr candy 12
hillside hurricanes football 2 hr The Insider 33
Chicago Ridge Village Board 2015 2 hr found you 34
Oak forest hospital 3 hr Perry Mason 5
•••
•••
•••
•••

Justice Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••