Fire Department
occams razor

Midlothian, IL

#122 Nov 1, 2012
Wow. I guess we should all move to one of those towns if nobody has or is going to die there. You see it's your tendency to exaggerate that makes your testimony soo hard to just take as gospel truth.
Just because you say the analogy of a bullet proof vest is a joke doesn't take away from the truth it is representing. I suppose if you don't get shot you don't need a bullet proof vest, so you don't pay for health insurance and just don't get sick either right? That's how you take care of your family.
I don't want some guy that has been working his full time job all day and is tired coming to save my family when the need arises. I want the best service available and I'd rather pay for it than pay for the park or the library.
I want to pay for insurance and I want a doctor when someone in my family is sick.
I don't want to skimp on the cheapest insurance and end up with Granny Clampet as my family doctor either.
I get to choose my doctor and I searched until I found the one I thought was the best. I don't want you choosing my firemen based on who will work the cheapest.
Flame Out

United States

#123 Nov 1, 2012
occams razor wrote:
Wow. I guess we should all move to one of those towns if nobody has or is going to die there. You see it's your tendency to exaggerate that makes your testimony soo hard to just take as gospel truth.
Just because you say the analogy of a bullet proof vest is a joke doesn't take away from the truth it is representing. I suppose if you don't get shot you don't need a bullet proof vest, so you don't pay for health insurance and just don't get sick either right? That's how you take care of your family.
I don't want some guy that has been working his full time job all day and is tired coming to save my family when the need arises. I want the best service available and I'd rather pay for it than pay for the park or the library.
I want to pay for insurance and I want a doctor when someone in my family is sick.
I don't want to skimp on the cheapest insurance and end up with Granny Clampet as my family doctor either.
I get to choose my doctor and I searched until I found the one I thought was the best. I don't want you choosing my firemen based on who will work the cheapest.
You make absoluetly no sense but coming from a full time Midlothian firefighter I would exspect nothing else. So you mean to tell us you go downtown to Micigan Ave for your doctors. After all they are the most exspensive doctors in Cook County so if we are to believe you they have to be the best.

And as far as the part time firefighters being tired how do you know they had the day offM Ow do you know the full time guys are not tired from working a side job? Of course a full time Midlothian firefighter would never be tired they wake up in the morning at the firehouse rested and refreshed from sleeping all night long. Who are you kidding 1,800 calls a year does not justify the FD budget. Once again yet another person asking how can those other towns do it and answer a lot more calls and Midlothian cannot?
het

Midlothian, IL

#124 Nov 1, 2012
Does anyone know if they are still having the meeting on Friday at 4 in the mayors office??
candy

Chicago, IL

#125 Nov 1, 2012
as far as i know yes , but call the village and find out for sure
het

Midlothian, IL

#126 Nov 1, 2012
Thank you
Concerned Resident

Blue Island, IL

#127 Nov 1, 2012
I am very concerned. I have read in this thread along with several others we can and will be 17 million dollars in debt unless we make cuts. I am just as much concerned where I read on this exact thread that the 17 million debt is a worst case scenario if we do nothing in 5 years and then bashes people who say we need cut backs in the fire department.

It further bothers me that the several people offered very valid and solid plans where public safety would not be jeopardized and in fact the service could be improved and the person still was very adamant in keeping everything status quo.
Serious the person is delusional. He actually states that is if we don't make any changes in 5 years we will have a 17 million dollar deficit.That is a worse case scenario. Didnít the state of Illinois just change the retirement policy for new hires in order to reduce the debt and bring back the retirement debt back to reality? The answer is yes and that was because they had to. I need someone to tell me what is the difference between that and what is being proposed here?
A plan has been presented on this site that appears to be very valid. Hire qualified part time firefighters. Until someone can show me proof this is a bad idea I am on board. We need to check out every avenue in order to save Midlothian. I have to admit I was shocked at how little fires Midlothian has. I was even more shocked at just how little the number of calls for service for Midlothian really is. My cousin is on Posen and Midlothian is bigger than Posen they run almost the same amount of calls for service.

We need to take a serious look into this typical Cook County Illinois politics. We do not need this amount of full time staff for little amount of calls for service. That is the bottom line. Please do not try and scare me with oh my God you would sacrafice your family. That is BS we have multiple working smoke detectors. It is scare tactics plain and simple. Tinley park who is 5 times the size of Midlothian can do it with part time firefighters so can Midlothian. This smell rotten here.
occams razor

Midlothian, IL

#128 Nov 2, 2012
I'm not saying that going to part time won't work. I'm saying what is the point of having a Midlothian library or a Midlothian park district if there is no Midlothian.
We pay enough in taxes to solve the problem it's just that the money is directed into other areas where it's eaten up for stuff that's less important.
I don't like the idea of people having to work 2 jobs to survive. It isn't a good life and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. There is no animal on earth that should need to be at work their whole waking life.
You guys have some real good points when it comes to saving money at the expense of the fire department. We have the same expense in the lawyer and nobody is saying anything about that, why? Broaden your focus a little bit and don't blame it all on the fd.
clyde

Midlothian, IL

#129 Nov 2, 2012
When I started this posting it was to congratulate both Sheehy on his retirement and Hotwagner on his promotion. But it seems like everybody is trying to make it look like the Fire department is the cause of the financial problems in the village.
In the 70 plus years that my family has been in the village the F.D. has always been the department that has had to beg for any funding they have gotten. They are the only department in the village that has equipment that is over 20 plus years. the other departments get new vehicles all the time.The other departments get new personal equipment when they want or need it.

So before you throw the blame on the fire dept or the firemen look at the other departments, look at their excessive spending and excessive overtime. Look at how the mayor keeps spending and hiring whomever he wants.(Village administrator, Village attorney, executive secretary for both of those men) then make your comments.

You like your house insurance costs low,that is where the fire department comes in. Without a fulltime department our ISO rating will drop. Your insurance costs will rise greatly. You don't belive it, just ask your insurance company.
Critical Problems

Midlothian, IL

#130 Nov 2, 2012
No one is laying the blame solely on the fire department. Go back and look at the previous posts. Another thing is the thread is named Fire Department.

Ultimately the citizens will decide what type of service they want. It is like buying a car. Do you want to buy a Ford for a modest price or pay for a Mercedes Benz to get you back and forth. Both will accomplish your goal but how much are you willing to pay and do you have the money to afford the Mercedes Benz? No please do not focus on Mercedes Benz it is just a simple analogy.

Buying fire equipment is very expensive and they are built to last 15-20 years. Something else to keep in mind. Midlothian Fire Department is not that busy so they do not rack up the millage and put a lot of hours on the rigs because the calls for service is just not there. PW and PD are on the street racking up miles and hours used That is why you do not need to purchase fire equipment as frequently as PD and PW vehicles.

I agree with you we do not need a full time lawyer and a full time village manager plus their own secretaries. I would also like you to take into account Clyde Midlothian Fire is not immune from excessive spending. They have a very large heavy rescue that cities with 100,000 people and run 12,000 calls for service and cover expressways and large industrial parks do not have. Big waste of money here.

And you are misinformed. ISO bases their decision and calculates the number from a variety of sources. Manpower, water supply, training, equipment testing and performance, communications just to name a few. ISO bases it on available manpower it does not take into consideration full time vs part time or volunteer. There are towns located down in souther Illinois who are completely volunteer that have very good ISO ratings. They are able to get a large amount of manpower to the scene with in the industry accepted guidelines.

I am in the insurance industry. ISO an independent company that is used to determine how much an insurance company will bill you for fire protection. Once again if you want a low number you can pay to have all the specialized equipment and man it if that is what the town wants. That would get extremely expensive. And for the record the cost does not affect homeowners so much. It really can have an impact on business especially large buildings. But some insurance companies do not even recognize ISO any longer. They base their decisions on State Fire Marshal statistics for each fire department. Since Midlothian does not have that many fires (thank God) we would be fine.

Look at the towns around us. Posen and Crestwood's ISO rating are just as good as Midlothian's is while they both utilize part-time personnel along with call backs.

So it boils down to how much do you want to pay. We as citizens need to take a very serious look at all departments. We need to make massive cuts backs in all departments. The assessed evaluation for Midlothian is down which means we are bringing in few tax dollars.

Development on 147th street will not save us either as what a lot of the politicians have been hanging their hats on. Nothing has happened as of yet so we can not plan on any tax dollars being generated from that property for several years.

I for one would not be against the hiring of qualified part time firefighters. I think we could cut our police force in half and supplement the rest with qualified part time police officers. We could out source water main breaks and maybe even snow plowing so we could cut the public works department down to half their size. Hire part time temps for the village hall. This is just a few areas we need to seriously look very hard at. Once we go into massive debt their may be no way out of it.
ok

Midlothian, IL

#131 Nov 2, 2012
PART TIME
yeah

Midlothian, IL

#132 Nov 3, 2012
Believe it will work!!!!!
Village taxpayer

Midlothian, IL

#133 Nov 4, 2012
O.K. here's some angles to look at.

Most of the part-time departments depend on the FULL TIME people from other departments. Some of those departments forbid you from working for another department. So if they all followed suit where would you get your people?

Let's eliminate ALL the FULL TIME departments then where are you going to get people with training?
When I was a part-time it took me 5 years to become an E.M.T because the hours I worked a regular job interfered with getting into a class.

How many people do you think have the time & money to work a regular 40 hour job, go to fire schools, work part-time on a F.D. and also answer calls at any time of day or night? As it is right now, most of the part-timers receive most of their training in house from FULL-TIME people, so without them where are you going to get that training now?

Do you have the time to go to school to become:
Certified Firefighter 3, Haz-Mat awareness, E.M.T. or Paramedic, NIMES trained, The list goes on.

The fire service of today is nowhere like it was in the old days, when all you needed to know is "how to put the water on the red stuff"

One last note, How many burned out foundations do you see in Midlothian compared to other towns? Do you think that maybe it's because of all the Fire Prevention training that Midlothian gives?
part timer

Midlothian, IL

#134 Nov 4, 2012
Village taxpayer wrote:

Most of the part-time departments depend on the FULL TIME people from other departments. Some of those departments forbid you from working for another department. So if they all followed suit where would you get your people?

Let's eliminate ALL the FULL TIME departments then where are you going to get people with training?
When I was a part-time it took me 5 years to become an E.M.T because the hours I worked a regular job interfered with getting into a class.

How many people do you think have the time & money to work a regular 40 hour job, go to fire schools, work part-time on a F.D. and also answer calls at any time of day or night? As it is right now, most of the part-timers receive most of their training in house from FULL-TIME people, so without them where are you going to get that training now?

Certified Firefighter 3, Haz-Mat awareness, E.M.T. or Paramedic, NIMES trained, The list goes on.

The fire service of today is nowhere like it was in the old days, when all you needed to know is "how to put the water on the red stuff"

One last note, How many burned out foundations do you see in Midlothian compared to other towns? Do you think that maybe it's because of all the Fire Prevention training that Midlothian gives?
Yes I did get qualified, ok and full time departments depend on us part time departments too. Ok so stop your B.S. and don't forget where you started this us reality Midlo us going broke, if they don't act now
part timer

Midlothian, IL

#135 Nov 4, 2012
Village taxpayer wrote:

And another thing how many burned out foundations are there how many fires do you have? Not many!! There are not to many run down abandon structures yet in this town but if they don't act now their will be we could be like one of the towns east of us
hey slick

Midlothian, IL

#136 Nov 4, 2012
Village taxpayer wrote:

How many burnt out buildings do you see in tinley, crestwood , evergreen?
Stop T

United States

#137 Nov 4, 2012
part timer wrote:
<quoted text>
And another thing how many burned out foundations are there how many fires do you have? Not many!! There are not to many run down abandon structures yet in this town but if they don't act now their will be we could be like one of the towns east of us
My God with less than 10 fire a year really and with early detection from smoke detectors that is why. And here is something to put in your pipe that even gives more fuel to the fire we can use part time firefighters because we don't have that many fires. Yet another great reason. Thanks for the great tip.
wow

Portage, MI

#138 Nov 5, 2012
clyde wrote:
When I started this posting it was to congratulate both Sheehy on his retirement and Hotwagner on his promotion. But it seems like everybody is trying to make it look like the Fire department is the cause of the financial problems in the village.
In the 70 plus years that my family has been in the village the F.D. has always been the department that has had to beg for any funding they have gotten. They are the only department in the village that has equipment that is over 20 plus years. the other departments get new vehicles all the time.The other departments get new personal equipment when they want or need it.
So before you throw the blame on the fire dept or the firemen look at the other departments, look at their excessive spending and excessive overtime. Look at how the mayor keeps spending and hiring whomever he wants.(Village administrator, Village attorney, executive secretary for both of those men) then make your comments.
You like your house insurance costs low,that is where the fire department comes in. Without a fulltime department our ISO rating will drop. Your insurance costs will rise greatly. You don't belive it, just ask your insurance company.
garden homes fire department has less then $100.000 a year budget and they have more working fires then we do, so what we pay for 2 full-time FF they run the hole department, and they have more working fires then we do, just in ribbons alone
Dedicated Yeah right

Orland Park, IL

#139 Nov 13, 2012
Been There wrote:
Bill is a great person. Who dedicated the last 28 years to the Village of Midlothian. Just as Joe did before him, and Steve will continue to do. Why after all the time working for a community does all the ugliness come out. Why can't we just thank you and have a good life? Bill was very active in organizing the FD union served as an officer of the union. But these same guys who voted him to represent them also are the ones who are complaining. Just don't get it! Who ever sits in that chair sooner or later after you had to say no a few times the troops will start to not like you. Good luck Bill, and Steve.
From what I was told, Bill stole a career. He was a lazy firefighter horrible leader and worse on the ambulance. I was told he did nothing to advance the fire department at all and actually brought it backwards.
Im toldSteve is proactive and wants to try to progress those guys. Good luck Steve.
Thanks

Blue Island, IL

#140 Nov 13, 2012
Dedicated Yeah right wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I was told, Bill stole a career. He was a lazy firefighter horrible leader and worse on the ambulance. I was told he did nothing to advance the fire department at all and actually brought it backwards.
Im toldSteve is proactive and wants to try to progress those guys. Good luck Steve.
Thanks for the info. This just proves we do not need full time people. If he was as you describe it is a crime to make all that money and get a very handsome pension on the backs of Midlothian taxpayers. They system is broke. Get rid of the full timers and man it with qualified part time fireman.
wow

United States

#141 Nov 13, 2012
occams razor wrote:
I'm not saying that going to part time won't work. I'm saying what is the point of having a Midlothian library or a Midlothian park district if there is no Midlothian.
We pay enough in taxes to solve the problem it's just that the money is directed into other areas where it's eaten up for stuff that's less important.
I don't like the idea of people having to work 2 jobs to survive. It isn't a good life and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. There is no animal on earth that should need to be at work their whole waking life.
You guys have some real good points when it comes to saving money at the expense of the fire department. We have the same expense in the lawyer and nobody is saying anything about that, why? Broaden your focus a little bit and don't blame it all on the fd.
then don't do a job that volunteers, and and part-time people did in the past,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Justice Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Welfare Low Lifes (Jun '10) 26 min Actually 3
Degenerates Post Here 4 hr Word 3
No Cigar 15 hr Where r they 1
good stuff (Jan '13) Fri Donny J T 5
This forum is sad Fri Donny J T 2
is this Midlothian forum or blue Island. Thu Concerned 5
Bill Lammel Lied (Nov '16) Thu no secret 34

Justice Jobs

Personal Finance

Justice Mortgages