5th Ward Alderman to Resign due to Re...
A Bit Fuzzy

Chicago, IL

#45 Nov 14, 2012
Greg thomas wrote:
No wonder he was such an Ensing supporter last night.
I guess it is nice for Alderman Ensing to keep his elected job, but I am A Bit Fuzzy, did I hear another alderman say he knew of this for more than a year? Now is the first time then that this is being placed in the council's laps? Seems a bit strange, and yet all I heard on my television from the Mayor and other council folks was silence. That seems a little strange, since not one asked the alderman's friend or the lawyer that was there to answer questions, how long Alderman Ensing has to move back into the ward? Unlike Rahm Emmauel that always professed returning to Chicago and having a house still in his name, the 5th Ward did not get any answer when their representative would be returning to the ward.

The silence, except for some later babbling, really tells a great deal about leadership and this group of people! So the only comments that went into this discussion came as a character reference, "I coached with him and as far as I am concerned it is enough for me!" Mr. Mayor - ZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

How about Mr. Legal Council, please give the folks of the 5th ward and the city an explanation of how this will proceed and when is the timing for return of the representative you voted on this Council. The last thing I am A Bit Fuzzy about why would I want to believe the 4th Ward Alderman as a character reference?
Chuck Toland

Naperville, IL

#47 Nov 14, 2012
A Bit Fuzzy wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess it is nice for Alderman Ensing to keep his elected job, but I am A Bit Fuzzy, did I hear another alderman say he knew of this for more than a year? Now is the first time then that this is being placed in the council's laps? Seems a bit strange, and yet all I heard on my television from the Mayor and other council folks was silence. That seems a little strange, since not one asked the alderman's friend or the lawyer that was there to answer questions, how long Alderman Ensing has to move back into the ward? Unlike Rahm Emmauel that always professed returning to Chicago and having a house still in his name, the 5th Ward did not get any answer when their representative would be returning to the ward.
The silence, except for some later babbling, really tells a great deal about leadership and this group of people! So the only comments that went into this discussion came as a character reference, "I coached with him and as far as I am concerned it is enough for me!" Mr. Mayor - ZZZZZZZZZZ!!!
How about Mr. Legal Council, please give the folks of the 5th ward and the city an explanation of how this will proceed and when is the timing for return of the representative you voted on this Council. The last thing I am A Bit Fuzzy about why would I want to believe the 4th Ward Alderman as a character reference?
I am not a character reference. I was simply stating for the record that this was known when Alderman Ensing first moved out of his house. I brought it up to the Mayor at that time. He called Dan in to find out what the story was, found out he was living in his ward, so we moved on. After hearing rumors for a year, I was at least able to let people who wanted to know the truth what I was told. Then the situation changed a couple of weeks ago when Dan remarried. I brought the situation up to the Mayor again. He talked to Dan again, and found out the story. He got a legal opinion from the City Attorney. The opinion is now part of the public record. I was only addressing the rumor as to bring the situation to the forefront. There are about 30 posts on this thread that have no true facts in them. They imply that either the Mayor or Council wanted Dan to resign. If anyone had cared about the facts or truth, they could have called me and asked me. It is not surprising that rumors will fly as elections approach, but personal lives are at stake when rumors fly. If the residents of Dan's ward want him to represent them, then they should let it be known. If they are against him serving, then they should let him know. Attacking him personally and hiding behind a fake name is not the way to handle the situation. If you have further concerns about the matter, call Alderman Ensing yourself and make your own decision. Don't let an anonymous poster on a blog make a decision for you. Make your own individual choice. That is why what I said last night was not a character reference for anyone; just a clarification that the problem has been addressed several times.

Chuck Toland
Alderman 4th Ward

And I wanted to extend my invitation to anyone who wants to be added to my email list so they can discuss current issues as well as receive current updates about the City and community. Send me an email at [email protected], and I will add you to my email list.
Really

Harvey, IL

#48 Nov 14, 2012
Ald. Toland - you started all of this even when Ald Ensing was legally living in the 5th ward. You should at least apologize for the rumors you started a year ago. I would think that if anyone has any questions, they should contact Ald. Ensing and a friend told me Ensing had his contact information up here yesterday and whoever runs this site took it off. I live in the 5th ward and I personally do not care where he lives because he is the only guy who seems to give the extra effort to do the job for his ward. I am glad we spent the money on having the attorney there last night to confirm what the mayor already knew.
Neighbor

Forest Park, IL

#49 Nov 14, 2012
And there we have it. This is all because elections are coming up. The law doesn't state a time frame, Ensing isn't doing anything wrong. Rahm, really? This is a bit different. They were silent because this whole thing backfired on them.
Chuck Toland

Naperville, IL

#50 Nov 14, 2012
Really wrote:
Ald. Toland - you started all of this even when Ald Ensing was legally living in the 5th ward. You should at least apologize for the rumors you started a year ago. I would think that if anyone has any questions, they should contact Ald. Ensing and a friend told me Ensing had his contact information up here yesterday and whoever runs this site took it off. I live in the 5th ward and I personally do not care where he lives because he is the only guy who seems to give the extra effort to do the job for his ward. I am glad we spent the money on having the attorney there last night to confirm what the mayor already knew.
I would like to correct you. I did not start the rumor that Alderman Ensing did not live in his house or ward. He in fact does not live in his previous house nor in his ward at this time, so there is no rumor. It is a fact, and I am not the one who brought up the fact. I did bring it to the attention of the Mayor to make sure he knew about it. I didn't do it behind Dan's back; I did it to make sure the administration was aware of it before they heard about it on the streets. It was an attempt at open government. I let them decide how to handle the situation. I had talked to Dan yesterday, and almost every day during the football season as I coach on the same team with him. Dan knows our friendship goes beyond the political position we share. He sits next to me on the floor, and I spend every evening and weekend with him from August 1, until the season is done in October for the last 4-years. We agree that there are times we will disagree on political issues. We have talked about disagreements on the phone and in person, but have agreed not to bring city conversations up at practice. First, it is not healthy for our friendship to do so, and it would not be fair to the kids we coach. So your idea that I need to apologize to Dan for bringing the concerns that there are detrimental rumors floating around about him is absurd. As a matter of fact, he thanked me. Dan and I have talked about this exact issue, and he knows that I brought this to everyone’s attention in his best interest. I believe rumors of this nature are harmful if not brought to the forefront. Now that it is in the open, and not being whispered about behind closed doors, Dan can get on with his duties as an alderman. If his residents have a problem with where he lives, they should contact him directly and not bash him on a blog. There are posts for and against him on this thread. Let the man know directly how you feel, as I did, and let him make his own decisions on how to deal with it. If Dan wants an apology from me, I am sure he will call me and explain that to me, but he has never mentioned that to me in any conversation. I would hope Dan would do the same for me. It is out of respect for him and the job he does that I put an effort into stopping the rumor instead of letting it harbor.
Chuck Toland

Naperville, IL

#51 Nov 14, 2012
Really wrote:
Also, if you want to know who started the "talk" not "rumor," give me a call and I will be happy to tell you the whole story as I told Dan.
Danny Inuyasha
#52 Nov 14, 2012
While we have mr. Toland here could you explain the whole using tax payers money to revitalize the private lake in the Landings. If it goes through expect to see me fishing over there next summer. Let them call the cops on me.
5TH WARD RESIDENT

Chicago, IL

#53 Nov 14, 2012
I hope that the lawyers answer to this last night at city council puts this all to rest.

P.S You were wrong Greg Thomas now are you willing to apologize.
Chuck Toland

Naperville, IL

#54 Nov 14, 2012
Danny Inuyasha wrote:
While we have mr. Toland here could you explain the whole using tax payers money to revitalize the private lake in the Landings. If it goes through expect to see me fishing over there next summer. Let them call the cops on me.
No I cannot explain the use of tax dollares to fix the problems caused by the residents in the Landings to Lake Emily. I voted against it. I will be right along side with you fishng there all next summer. I thought about renting a bus and filling it with people who want to fish there. Hopefully the improvemens they make will mae it a better fishing spot.

All that being said, the city does take care of several ponds within the city for prevention of flooding. They are all city property, and sine they are city property, I believe fishing should be allowed at all locations. I dealt with the pond behind the houses on Victoria, and we made a sign about catch and release since people were taking fish out of there. The problem wasn't allowing people to fish there, but people were taking stringers of fish, and others didn't like that. I don't know what the answer is, but the people own those ponds so the people should have a say in what happens there.

I don't typically get on here, but when I heard my family was mentioned here, I had to take a look. If you need any other answers, don't assume I will be back on here. It has been about a year since my last look. Give me a call or ask to be added to my email. I had 2 others ask to be added to my email list today. I enjoy interacting with residents, and I enjoy communicating with all of you. I just don't prefer to answer on blogs where people hide behind false names and really don't care about the facts or answers. Feel free to contact me about any topic.

Chuck
Daisy DUKE

Chicago, IL

#55 Nov 14, 2012
Mr. Simom you are so wrong. How long have you lived in this town? All your Life.. you know you have to live in the Ward that you are elected to..Why else would they have election LAWS!.He meaning Mr.Ensinger has 30 days to change his address in the 5th ward that he lives in,Which he never did. Even if you move out of the house,that means a new address! So with that Mr.Simon go back check your LAW BOOK as you sure as H didn't ask the Attorney anything at the meeting I hear.

We have LAWS , thoses LAWS are not to be broke by you or anyone else. Get the Book out and READ it. It says and states everything. How easy is that .? As far as Mr.Toland. He should also read the BOOK. Oh maybe not. He seems to know it all when in fact we in the 4th ward need to elect someone else this time around as he hasn't been a good example,telling everyone that he knows the LAW..Oh well on to bigger and better things..Fishing in Lake Emily,you betyour Dollars I'll take my Children there as now it's Oak Forest Lake not those that live in the LANDINGS. It's Oak Forest.
Daisy DUKE

Chicago, IL

#56 Nov 14, 2012
P.S. I forgot to tell you that he hasn't worked in LAW Enforcement for 8 years....{ Dan Ensinger that is} U people should get a life as so should Mr.Toland.
Chuck Toland

Naperville, IL

#57 Nov 14, 2012
Daisy DUKE wrote:
Mr. Simom you are so wrong. How long have you lived in this town? All your Life.. you know you have to live in the Ward that you are elected to..Why else would they have election LAWS!.He meaning Mr.Ensinger has 30 days to change his address in the 5th ward that he lives in,Which he never did. Even if you move out of the house,that means a new address! So with that Mr.Simon go back check your LAW BOOK as you sure as H didn't ask the Attorney anything at the meeting I hear.
We have LAWS , thoses LAWS are not to be broke by you or anyone else. Get the Book out and READ it. It says and states everything. How easy is that .? As far as Mr.Toland. He should also read the BOOK. Oh maybe not. He seems to know it all when in fact we in the 4th ward need to elect someone else this time around as he hasn't been a good example,telling everyone that he knows the LAW..Oh well on to bigger and better things..Fishing in Lake Emily,you betyour Dollars I'll take my Children there as now it's Oak Forest Lake not those that live in the LANDINGS. It's Oak Forest.
Daisy, I never said I know the law. If an alderman needs to live in the ward, then so be it. All I was doing was bringing it to the forefront so the rumors can stop. If you know it is against the law, then file the suit with the State Attorney's office. I want this to be solved for the best interest of the city and its residents. I know the State Attorney's office is aware of the situation, so if there is merit, they will bring the case on you behalf. Only problem would be that you would have to use your name. I don't think they would file a suit under Daisy Duke. And as far as getting a life, I do have a life, and that is why I usually don't answer these posts. When someone states a post that is an outright lie about me or my family, I have to respond. If you don't like my answer, you have your right, but at least I am willing to answer any question any time while posting my real name. You on the other hand hide behind a fantasy of yours to be Daisy Duke. Do you dress up like her as well and stand in front of the mirror? I bet you look exactly like her. If you want to talk to me, be a man (or woman) and give me a call.
Neighbor

Chicago, IL

#59 Nov 14, 2012
Okay, come on Alderman Toland, you had me until the mirror reference. Don't let yourself go to that level. Especially in response to someone that doesn't even know the alderman's name. The answer here again is plain and simple, look at the law, what does it states? I am surprised this has gone as far as the States Attorney. I don't see the sense in that. The law is the law, I don't believe it states a time limit, and as you stated the voters can decide. Who knows? Maybe Ensing is going to run for the ward he currently is residing in. I believe that most that posted here did feel it was a personal attack against Ensing for a personal matter where legally he was doing nothing wrong.
Yes as a public official your life might be more open than others but at a point it is ridiculous, especially if as you say this has been ongoing for a year. I still question why it was brought up if the attorney said there was no wrong doing. Are you all going to start stepping forward and saying that you had a fight with your spouse, maybe getting a divorce? That is not necessary and overboard.
Daisy DUKE

Chicago, IL

#60 Nov 14, 2012
What are you on?????????? Mr.Toland..As far as dressing up...I dress up and don't wear shorts to a council meeting. The Dress makes the Man or as you said the women.
lunie town

Chicago, IL

#63 Nov 14, 2012
Chuck Toland wrote:
<quoted text>I am not a character reference. I was simply stating for the record that this was known when Alderman Ensing first moved out of his house. I brought it up to the Mayor at that time. He called Dan in to find out what the story was, found out he was living in his ward, so we moved on. After hearing rumors for a year, I was at least able to let people who wanted to know the truth what I was told. Then the situation changed a couple of weeks ago when Dan remarried. I brought the situation up to the Mayor again. He talked to Dan again, and found out the story. He got a legal opinion from the City Attorney. The opinion is now part of the public record. I was only addressing the rumor as to bring the situation to the forefront. There are about 30 posts on this thread that have no true facts in them. They imply that either the Mayor or Council wanted Dan to resign. If anyone had cared about the facts or truth, they could have called me and asked me. It is not surprising that rumors will fly as elections approach, but personal lives are at stake when rumors fly. If the residents of Dan's ward want him to represent them, then they should let it be known. If they are against him serving, then they should let him know. Attacking him personally and hiding behind a fake name is not the way to handle the situation. If you have further concerns about the matter, call Alderman Ensing yourself and make your own decision. Don't let an anonymous poster on a blog make a decision for you. Make your own individual choice. That is why what I said last night was not a character reference for anyone; just a clarification that the problem has been addressed several times.

Chuck Toland
Alderman 4th Ward

And I wanted to extend my invitation to anyone who wants to be added to my email list so they can discuss current issues as well as receive current updates about the City and community. Send me an email at [email protected], and I will add you to my email list.
did you see Larry from
Your campaign brochures' brother in the sum times yesterday? Scamming the Chicago fire dept for disability pay.! Be careful who you associate with!
PUBLIC CONCERNS

Chicago, IL

#64 Nov 14, 2012
Chuck Toland wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, if you want to know who started the "talk" not "rumor," give me a call and I will be happy to tell you the whole story as I told Dan.
Mr.T Would you know of any particular reason The Mayor or even Mr.Ensing should not have explained their position on the matter when given the oppurtunity at council Tues.? It was an agenda item which makes the subject the residents concern and opens discussion to all. But, the staunch silence on the matter implies arrogance and leaves the miniscule amount of information provided lacking in complete fact and substance. The manner in which this was handled leaves the entire subject open to speculation. You're invitation to contact you to discuss these issues is admirable, but in this instance, I believe all of the residents are owed an explanation, not just those who reach out to you.
Deakre

Chicago, IL

#65 Nov 14, 2012
Neighbor wrote:
Okay, come on Alderman Toland, you had me until the mirror reference. Don't let yourself go to that level. Especially in response to someone that doesn't even know the alderman's name. The answer here again is plain and simple, look at the law, what does it states? I am surprised this has gone as far as the States Attorney. I don't see the sense in that. The law is the law, I don't believe it states a time limit, and as you stated the voters can decide. Who knows? Maybe Ensing is going to run for the ward he currently is residing in. I believe that most that posted here did feel it was a personal attack against Ensing for a personal matter where legally he was doing nothing wrong.
Yes as a public official your life might be more open than others but at a point it is ridiculous, especially if as you say this has been ongoing for a year. I still question why it was brought up if the attorney said there was no wrong doing. Are you all going to start stepping forward and saying that you had a fight with your spouse, maybe getting a divorce? That is not necessary and overboard.
Interesting premise, but I for one still believe the 5th Ward folks deserve an answer from the Elected Official and the Mayor himself! It is not too much to ask, since after as Mr. Toland put it, "I contacted the Mayor a year ago." At that point you have two elected officials talking about an issue all of the voters of the ward deserve an answer about! How many others were in on that conversation? Did it just end a year ago and now just came up due to another change of residence! Where did this elected official give as his new residence and doesn't he have to let the city know where his official residence is located? The personal stuff is not the city or the voters business, except if they may have voted a different way if they knew this information! Let's set the public record straight, this is not the first time a city official has moved and I would bet those were handled much more open then this one looks! When looks like a duck, smells like a duck and quacks like a duck, it sure doesn't get explained by this group like a duck, just a bunch of quiet birds! Silence is deffening!
Greg thomas

United States

#66 Nov 14, 2012
I'm thinking maybe the citizens of the 5th ward should take Mr tolands advice and bring this situation to the attention proper authorities.... Not like Oak Forest hasnt been taken to task in the past for its transgressions (anybody for a meeting that doesnt meet the open meetings act) and as far as their legal opinion.... You can pay anybody to say anything.
Neighbor

Forest Park, IL

#67 Nov 14, 2012
You can also look at the law yourself. No one is saying the law isn't vague. No one is saying they agree with the law. These facts however don't change the law. Ensing isn't doing anything outside the law. You are correct that it is odd that it was brought up at this point and made an agenda item.
Greg thomas wrote:
I'm thinking maybe the citizens of the 5th ward should take Mr tolands advice and bring this situation to the attention proper authorities.... Not like Oak Forest hasnt been taken to task in the past for its transgressions (anybody for a meeting that doesnt meet the open meetings act) and as far as their legal opinion.... You can pay anybody to say anything.
Greg thomas

United States

#68 Nov 15, 2012
Neighbor wrote:
You can also look at the law yourself. No one is saying the law isn't vague. No one is saying they agree with the law. These facts however don't change the law. Ensing isn't doing anything outside the law. You are correct that it is odd that it was brought up at this point and made an agenda item.
<quoted text>

So do you agree that it wouldnt hurt to have the Chief legal officer for the people look at it and give a non biased opinion and not just take the word of the hired gun for the city?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Justice Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chief Hal 2 hr Bart 6
News 2 poodles dropped from 5th floor of Oak Lawn pa... 5 hr Nope 6
lyons, il politics (Mar '07) 7 hr Bad Hombre 9,917
Results Now Party led by Fran Broke Topix 9 hr Waved Goodbye 13
Moving to South Berwyn 22 hr Hates Berwyn 3
coming soon Mon Concerned 2
CR School Board Election Results Mon NO to Mary Call 12

Justice Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance