Playland beloved by kids, but injurie...

Playland beloved by kids, but injuries led to its closing

There are 97 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 11, 2009, titled Playland beloved by kids, but injuries led to its closing. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Vikki Ortiz What ever happened to... June 12, 2009 DuPage County resident Larry Reganwrote What Ever Happened to ... about a mystery from spring of 1977: Was the fall he witnessed at a local amusement park fatal? Q A group of us went to Playland Park located approximately one-half-mile northwest of the intersection of Archer Avenue and 79th Street ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
playland45

AOL

#81 Jul 9, 2011
The Plastic Bag Man wrote:
I was at Playland once or twice when I was a little kid. I remember some kinda weird ride that had airplanes suspended on strings that you would sit in and get spun in a circle.....my brother made me go on that ride.... I remember the Mad Mouse too - I happen to know a dude at CC's that goes by that same name...... I always liked the ponies at Playland too, that's why I like hanging out at Hawthorne and Maywood now......I think Jimmy O used to operate the bumper cars at Playland...... Good times, Good times....
The bumper cars (official name - Auto Scooters) was run for many years by Jim Muscoto - don't know if the spelling is correct- better known by his friends as Big Jim (he was quite overweight) he was a very good employee, another one of those employees that took pride in his ride..
playland45

AOL

#82 Jul 9, 2011
Dogbreath wrote:
Playland ruled !!! Did they sell beer or am I remembering wrong ??? I may have brought my own.
No, they didn't sell beer, you probably brought your own. Sometimes the private picnics would have beer.
playland45

AOL

#83 Jul 9, 2011
Reverend Dewey Cox wrote:
Anyone old enough to remember White City ? It had everything.
http://chicago.urban-history.org/sites/parks/...
Wow! you must be really old. Didn't it close in the late 40's or early 50's? I remember hearing there was a fire that most of it was lost to.

“ain't she sweet?”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#84 Jul 9, 2011
Carnies Local 666 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, I do. It was in Indiana. I seem to remember they had a cool ride called The Hurricane or something like that.
Was that the one where you had a plastic key and the figures would either talk or tell nursery rhymes? When I was a kid my older brother had a plastic 'key' from one of those attractions and I remeber talking attractions.
playland45

AOL

#85 Jul 9, 2011
Tom K wrote:
I went to Playland times throught the 70's. I have been scouring the net for any kind of photos and other info about Playland. Whenever we would drive there down 79th St I always knew we were getting close because there would be this big painted wooden sign a few blocks away from the park with Bozo The Clown on it with him pointing in the direction to "Playland Park". What I thought was neat was that the whole park was sort of closed in by trees and as you would approach the park from 79th Street, you could see the lights of the ferris wheel and the merry go round peeking through the trees as you got closer. It's the only place I ever rode a roller coaster at, which had to have been circa 1974 and even back then, it was very 'rickety' and old. At certain points in the park, you could look up and see traffic whizzing by on 294. From memory, I have compiled a list of the rides that Playland Park had, I'm sure there were several more, but this is what I remember:
Ferris Wheel
Paratrouper
Rock-O-Plane
Roto-Whip
Cyclone roller coaster
Train ride
Caterpillar
Tilt-A-Whirl
Allan Herschel Twister
Airplane kiddie ride
Boats in water kiddie ride
Automobile kiddie cars that ran on a track
Helicopter
Flying scooters
Flying saucer (Bisch-Rocco, and probably moved here from Riverview)
Pretzel dark ride called "De Crazee House"
Frolic
Whale water ride
Bumper cars
Ponies
Antique Automobile kiddie car track
Scrambler
Tubs-O-Fun
Octopus
Octopus #2 An odd one that spun in a circle but did not oscillate
Salt and Pepper or ("Roll-O-Plane")
Mad Mouse
Toboggan
Swingin' Gym
Satellite
Roto Jet
Wow! what a great memory, here's a few more they had over the years - sky fighter (kid ride) tanks (kid ride) roto whip(kid ride) merry go round Round up Zipper,and if your real old the Hot Rods.
Bob

United States

#86 Jul 9, 2011
playland45 wrote:
<quoted text> Wow! you must be really old. Didn't it close in the late 40's or early 50's? I remember hearing there was a fire that most of it was lost to.
There was also a carnival on 95th st just east of Stony Island. I used to go there as my father was a friend of the owner. I cant remember the exact name.
playland45

AOL

#87 Jul 10, 2011
Bob wrote:
<quoted text> There was also a carnival on 95th st just east of Stony Island. I used to go there as my father was a friend of the owner. I cant remember the exact name.
The name of the park on 95th was Funtown. A fellow name Bob Johnson ran it the last 2 years it was open. I think that was 1981 and 1982. It was not a carnival it was a permanet amusement park. Had been there for many years.
Bob

United States

#88 Jul 10, 2011
playland45 wrote:
<quoted text> The name of the park on 95th was Funtown. A fellow name Bob Johnson ran it the last 2 years it was open. I think that was 1981 and 1982. It was not a carnival it was a permanet amusement park. Had been there for many years.
Tes ,you are right, it was called Funtown. I called it a carnival as i could not think of a proper name for it. Amusememt park would be the right name. It was owned by a man named Hodgie Delgarian in the 60s. My father was a friend of his.
Bob

United States

#89 Jul 10, 2011
playland45 wrote:
<quoted text> The name of the park on 95th was Funtown. A fellow name Bob Johnson ran it the last 2 years it was open. I think that was 1981 and 1982. It was not a carnival it was a permanet amusement park. Had been there for many years.
oops typo tes means yes. lol
Robert

Chicago, IL

#90 Jul 28, 2011
RMQuinn37 wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember a Deer Forest. My brother had a 'key' that turned on the voices/stories at each attraction. Were there tokens? I remember something with tokens.
And was there a Kiddie Land too?
Who's old enough to remember Riverview? Old Chicago?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Ot47vAN4HBYXX&feature=you tube_gdata_player
Those were the days....
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Wow, you named off quite a few amusement parks. What about Green Oaks kiddie park on 87th Cicero ? The studio, a one screen movie theater that stood near the defunct Starlight drive in and where the present day Westfield mall is. I still call it Chicago Ridge mall. We went to Adventureland a few times back in the early 1970's. Santa's village I remember but for some reason I do not feel any fondness for..I remember being there once when it was 100 degrees. My poor parent's picked a horrible day to plan a family outing.We survived.
Robert

Chicago, IL

#91 Jul 28, 2011
Robert wrote:
<quoted text> My father was a milkman back when we needed them and he was always the Dad that had the Bowman ride coupons.. He stopped delivering back in 1973 or so..The milkman was then EXTINCT...
My father was a long time milkman as well. He worked mainly for Wanzer Dairy in Oak Lawn.It drives me insane how except for some cameo in a 1940's movie, the milkman has been forgotten. My father as I am sure your father as well worked before the refridgerated truck was available. Those giant blocks of ice, crates and crates of milk, cream, butter, eggs etc. were very heavy. Long days starting in the middle of the night and ending after they usually had to load their trucks for the next day usually did not end before 12 noon. The milkman was a vital piece of the family dynamice. If the milkman does not show up to a particular house, those babies and young children just have no milk that day. This was way before baby formula at your local Walgreens..Do you not agree Robert that it was a proud profession that just vanished one day and everyone forgot it's important role in American life.
playland45

AOL

#92 Sep 4, 2011
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you named off quite a few amusement parks. What about Green Oaks kiddie park on 87th Cicero ? The studio, a one screen movie theater that stood near the defunct Starlight drive in and where the present day Westfield mall is. I still call it Chicago Ridge mall. We went to Adventureland a few times back in the early 1970's. Santa's village I remember but for some reason I do not feel any fondness for..I remember being there once when it was 100 degrees. My poor parent's picked a horrible day to plan a family outing.We survived.
I think there was a go kart track next to the Studio Theater for a few years.
DWALKER

Porter, TX

#93 Sep 19, 2011
Good Ole Days wrote:
Cicero, yes I do remember Fairyland - went there and Playland many times as a kid...Fairyland had a kid ride that was a track with car that you would sit on and operate by cranking a reel with both hands, anyone remember this?
I loved that train that you cranked round and round. If you didn't crank it you would not go anywhere. That was the best place and so close to home. Every time my parents stopped for milk at the store right down Harlem we would drive by and want to stop. I remember there were 3 or 4 rides indoors and 3 or 4 outdoors. Oh the good ole days.
playland45

AOL

#94 Dec 17, 2011
DWALKER wrote:
<quoted text>
I loved that train that you cranked round and round. If you didn't crank it you would not go anywhere. That was the best place and so close to home. Every time my parents stopped for milk at the store right down Harlem we would drive by and want to stop. I remember there were 3 or 4 rides indoors and 3 or 4 outdoors. Oh the good ole days.
The ride your talking about offical name was the Hand Car Railway, most people just call it hand cars. Both Fairyland and Playland had this ride, and most amusement parks did.. As they were pretty popular and inexpensive for the parks to buy. This was a ride operators least favorite ride to run because you had to push the kids that couldn't crank it and put the cars back on the track from the kids that went too fast. What a pain. Ran this ride at Playland for a full season, as I wasn't 16, but it wasn't motor driven so they let it slide.
marky

United States

#95 May 18, 2012
I am not that old but I do remeber going to riverview park once
My dad says on the south side there was another park not to get ghost world on you but it was called White City any historians out there that know anything about White City?
Chris welbourn

United States

#96 Sep 2, 2012
too much hate wrote:
<quoted text> This was my favorite ride. It had a big vertical piece of plywood mounted to the front like a sail. It had a handle and you could swing it from one side to the otehr making the "plane" swing in and out. I still think of Playland every time I hear the song "Good Night Sweetheart"
i used to work there when i was 12 i operated the stongman ring the bell with the big wooden hammer you would hit the rubber thingy and ring the bell i remember goodnight sweatheart also would play every night at closing
playland45

AOL

#97 Sep 3, 2012
Chris welbourn wrote:
<quoted text> i used to work there when i was 12 i operated the stongman ring the bell with the big wooden hammer you would hit the rubber thingy and ring the bell i remember goodnight sweatheart also would play every night at closing
The thing with the big wooden hammer and hit the rubber thingy was called a Hi Striker, most people called it ring the bell. It was owned by a guy named Jimmy Haack, who also owned a couple of other games there, along with the giant slide and the inflated bubble bounce. The Hi Striker was across the midway from the Dee Crazy House (dark ride) Yes Goodnight Sweetheart was the song played at closing, it was sung by the McGuire Sisters, the version you hear mostly nowdays on oldie radio is a later version by the Spanials which was a black male group. The McGuire Sisters were a white female group. The procedure for closing was that when the song would start to play the back of the park was to shut down, after the song played through the first time the rest of the park was to shut down, but always leaving the four center towers on for lighting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Justice Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Emmanuel Dominguez missing?! (Nov '13) 6 hr 30 THOUSAND REWARD 1,511
Hells Angels (Jun '10) 12 hr joestyle79 says 107
Keep on trucking Ed 12 hr today 71
Berkots 14 hr sawyer 19
OFHS has 5 point grading scale why? Wed OF Mom 5
News Man Stabbed Sunday Morning in Oak Forest Wed OF Mom 22
What Happen to the Topic "Meet the candidate Ni... Wed Wha Happened 7
More from around the web

Justice People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE