Playland beloved by kids, but injurie...

Playland beloved by kids, but injuries led to its closing

There are 97 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 11, 2009, titled Playland beloved by kids, but injuries led to its closing. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Vikki Ortiz What ever happened to... June 12, 2009 DuPage County resident Larry Reganwrote What Ever Happened to ... about a mystery from spring of 1977: Was the fall he witnessed at a local amusement park fatal? Q A group of us went to Playland Park located approximately one-half-mile northwest of the intersection of Archer Avenue and 79th Street ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
bob wire

Algonquin, IL

#1 Jun 11, 2009
Whatever happened to AdventureLand?
Republican

Georgetown, TX

#2 Jun 11, 2009
I was thinking the same thing about adventureland and also riverview too.

“actual mugshot ”

Since: Aug 08

Dixmoor, Illinois

#3 Jun 11, 2009
I was at Playland once or twice when I was a little kid. I remember some kinda weird ride that had airplanes suspended on strings that you would sit in and get spun in a circle.....my brother made me go on that ride.... I remember the Mad Mouse too - I happen to know a dude at CC's that goes by that same name...... I always liked the ponies at Playland too, that's why I like hanging out at Hawthorne and Maywood now......I think Jimmy O used to operate the bumper cars at Playland...... Good times, Good times....
Playland

Alsip, IL

#4 Jun 12, 2009
I do believe Mr. Novak from Industrial Arts @ Ridge Central owned and operated the Train ride.
I remember that rickity rackity old Mad Mouse. I swear it was held together by tooth picks and bobbie pins. The last time i went on it was THEE last time i rode a coaster ! I think at the end the rides cost 75 cents and that was too much money.
eva

Hammond, IN

#5 Jun 12, 2009
I remember this amusement park from the late 1950s. Our family bought milk from Bowman Dairy (delivered by milkmen) and Bowman had a promotion whereby if you saved up a certain number of bottle caps (the waxed-paper outer coverings on the bottle top), you could use them for admission on the rides. Does anyone else remember this?
pnovotny

Chicago, IL

#6 Jun 12, 2009
I miss riding the Mad Mouse at Playland when I was a kid.
Melissa

Midland, MI

#7 Jun 12, 2009
I absolutely LOVED Playland when I was a kid! I remember the Mad Mouse ride, my Dad still talks about how I'd bump my head on his chest on that ride. I was very sad when it closed.
Chicago Gal

South Holland, IL

#8 Jun 12, 2009
We often went to Playland when we were kids. I remember it as being awesome! However.... I do also remember that my uncle broke his arm on the very same ride mentioned in this article! I have been wondering what happened to Playland for years. Thanks for the article.
Chicago Gal

South Holland, IL

#9 Jun 12, 2009
Does anyone remember a local amusement park called "Enchanted Forest?" I remmeber being there as a kid and can still see the sign in my mind, but have no idea where it was or what happened to it.
ChiMike

Chicago, IL

#10 Jun 12, 2009
does anyone have the link to the facebook page, the one in the article doesn't seem to work.

Playland was a lot of fun as a kid! They also had some unusual, experimental rides from what I vaguely recall.
Cicero Unga

United States

#11 Jun 12, 2009
Anyone remember Fairyland on Harlem & Pershing ?
Moose

United States

#12 Jun 12, 2009
I went to Playland quite often as a kid. When I was old enough to drive in 1978, I only got there once and the park closed after the 1979 season.

I wish I could remember the name of the bigger roller coaster. I think it was a steel coaster...I wish I had pictures of the park too. I have some taken in the winter of 1980, but only one ride is left and two buildings stand. The Tribune article about the Evergreen Park boy getting thrown out of the ride went to High School with my brother.

The airplane ride was suspended on Cables, not strings, It's known as the Flying Scooter. It was manufactured right at Playland by Bisch-Rocco Company. They sold Flying Scooters to parks throughtout the US.

Other rides I recall are De Crazee House dark ride, Pony Ride, Lusse Scooter Bumper cars, Mad Mouse, Roll-O-Plane, Tilt-A-Whirl, Train, Whale Boat ride, Ferris Wheel, Giant Slide, Satelite and the Skee Ball Arcade.

I can remember walking around rides, cutting through here and there. There were no dead ends in the park. The park wasn't paved. There was no main entrance and you could come in in several different places. I seem to recall parking near the Mad Mouse in the back and coming in that way.

Chicago Gal ; There was an "Enchanted Forest" in Chesterton, Indiana that was heavily advertised in the Chicago area. That might be the park your thinking of. Our school went there for a seventh grade trip.

Adventureland may have closed for redevelopement - which incidently never happened.

There are many reasons park close. Low attendance, rising maintennace and insurance costs and rising land values. I think one of the main reasons was the adjacent Trailer Park wanted the land to expand the trailer park.

Kiddieland in Oak Lawn closed in 1974 to make way for Venture and an A & P Food Store.

Remember this is the last season for Kiddieland in Melrose Park, IL so get there this summer and enjoy it while you can.
Good Ole Days

Chicago, IL

#13 Jun 12, 2009
Cicero, yes I do remember Fairyland - went there and Playland many times as a kid...Fairyland had a kid ride that was a track with car that you would sit on and operate by cranking a reel with both hands, anyone remember this?
too much hate

United States

#14 Jun 12, 2009
The Plastic Bag Man wrote:
I was at Playland once or twice when I was a little kid. I remember some kinda weird ride that had airplanes suspended on strings that you would sit in and get spun in a circle.....my brother made me go on that ride.....
This was my favorite ride. It had a big vertical piece of plywood mounted to the front like a sail. It had a handle and you could swing it from one side to the otehr making the "plane" swing in and out. I still think of Playland every time I hear the song "Good Night Sweetheart"
SweetHomeChicago

Antioch, IL

#15 Jun 12, 2009
I have great memories of my dad taking me on the Flying Scooters. I loved that ride. I remember the mad mouse too. That was one of my favorites as well. There was one ride at the far end of the park that had connected "cars" and went in a circle really fast, and had little hills. I seem to remember the middle covered in straw, like the top of a hut. I, too, love the way the park was layed out. I actually lived in Sterling Estates, in the part that was expanded over where Playland used to be. It was really sad , and a little wierd, to think about what used to be there. I remember a ride that was called the Salt & Pepper Shakers, unless that's what we named it. It had a cage on either end of long arm and it rotated in a big circle. Anyone remember that one. The first time I was taken on it I screamed until they stopped the ride and let me off. But now I love those kind of rides!
Proud SUV Owner

Kansas City, MO

#16 Jun 12, 2009
That was a wonderful park. It was so clean and the rides would scare you to death. The Mad Mouse was really fun because everyone knew someone who knew someone who knew the brother of the guy that was throw out the the ride on one of the sharp turns (or so they said) It was enough to scare an 8 year old!
Proud SUV Owner

Kansas City, MO

#17 Jun 12, 2009
Chicago Gal wrote:
Does anyone remember a local amusement park called "Enchanted Forest?" I remmeber being there as a kid and can still see the sign in my mind, but have no idea where it was or what happened to it.
It was over by the Indiana Dunes. They had a petting zoo where the dear knocked kids over and a train that circled the park. It wasn't much but feeding the dear was always an adventure.
TJG

Country Club Hills, IL

#18 Jun 12, 2009
I loved Playland!

When my Dad got home from work, my brother, sister and I would beg to go there. It was always a lot of fun. Too bad there aren't more places like it anymore.

Alz

Since: Oct 08

Chicago

#19 Jun 12, 2009
I remember Adventureland....

A little Googling turned up some info and memorable pictures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventureland_ (Illinois)
http://members.tripod.com/lisawebworld1/adven...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/...
jfr

Virginia Beach, VA

#20 Jun 12, 2009
Ahhhhh...the good times of old, gone now except from our fading memories.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Justice Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moody and the Flag Code 8 hr Unbelievable 9
Berwyn Dope house (Aug '13) 8 hr rico 10
Old Barab Building (Nov '11) 13 hr Doubting Thomas 18
Ridge Fest 2015 15 hr New Guy 2
Ed and ( or was it ) Fred? Tue Moodygan 3
Chicago Ridge real estate tax bills Tue Are you new pal 16
Toland/Raiders Tue Chuck 19
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Justice Mortgages