4 Years Almost Up How would we rate O...

4 Years Almost Up How would we rate Oak Forest Government?

Created by A Bit Fuzzy on Nov 12, 2012

257 votes

Click on an option to vote

They have not addressed any problems yet!

Taxes Still too High! TIF Districts only hurt!

No Development in town helps taxpayers!

Council is a rubber stamp!

City hires only Cronyism!

Time to clean house!

High Garbage and Water Rates killing Taxpayers!

City Politics as Usual, time to change it All!

Current Mayor is the problem!

Everything is going fine!

Live or Relive History

Chicago, IL

#21 Nov 21, 2012
cant wait to move wrote:
"The only one I've heard is Pat Gordon."
Be careful what you ask for. Check the history of what happened during his administration.... Also isn't his business NOT in Oak forest any more?
For those of you that dont remember,people went to jail, the fire chief was stealing us blind and several other things. any time the feds look into whats going on its not good
I believe the person that went to jail was hired by Richmond and re-hired by Richmond! The Fire Chief that was able to retire and should have had some of his lieutenants retire with him was on the Kelly term! The only true economic plan I have ever heard of in this town was by Gordon, but Kelly killed it with her Gateway plan and not following through! Does it matter if his business is in Oak Forest or not, as long as he governs the town to help the taxpayers isn't that what it is about? There is an ALderman on this council that was around for the whole Gordon Administration, did that person do anything to control the person that went to jail or the Fire Chief that is no longer here? If not then by your premise, that Alderman should be voted out of office also! In Oak Forest though, they just keep getting voted in, even if they don't do anything!
Resident

Chicago, IL

#23 Nov 21, 2012
The Cook County States Attorney was in town for some time before Gordon responded. The States Attorney brought in the FBI, not Gordon.
cant wait to move

Forest Park, IL

#24 Nov 22, 2012
fire chief was in position under gordon passed on to kelly and she let him off the hook
Res

Tinley Park, IL

#25 Nov 22, 2012
We need someone new, maybe a newer resident that doesn't have all the ties to cronies.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#26 Nov 22, 2012
Res wrote:
We need someone new, maybe a newer resident that doesn't have all the ties to cronies.
Exactly! One needs to ignore all of the organizations that the candidates have volunteered for. While volunteering makes them a commendable human, it doesn't make them a good leader or one to make complicated and crucial descisions.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#27 Nov 22, 2012
Neighbor wrote:
So when did the Municipal Code change to mandate that a Mayor had to have a business in the City he was Mayor of!
You are right during Gordon's term someone went to jail. Who contacted the Feds? Some old loon likes to take credit for that but it was Gordon. As for the fire department, if I remember correctly, that happened under Kelly and she didn't even push it, just let the guy resign. The funny thing about that? The person that saw all those invoices that were billed to the City but showed items shipped to his home- yep, she still has her job, how is that possible?
<quoted text>
Yes, exactly how has our Finance Director kept her job all these years? She's not a CPA and does not appear to know much about estimating revenue and trying to balance a budget.
Neighbor

Forest Park, IL

#28 Nov 23, 2012
But she is another one that knows how to show up for work late, leave early, things like that, just like someone else across the street. Wonder if she has a City vehicle too?
OF Watch wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, exactly how has our Finance Director kept her job all these years? She's not a CPA and does not appear to know much about estimating revenue and trying to balance a budget.
lunie town

Chicago, IL

#29 Nov 23, 2012
OF Watch wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly! One needs to ignore all of the organizations that the candidates have volunteered for. While volunteering makes them a commendable human, it doesn't make them a good leader or one to make complicated and crucial descisions.
Yes and the biggest, know nothing, under-qualified, serial volunteer, now an elected official is.........our Mayor!
Deakre

Chicago, IL

#30 Nov 23, 2012
lunie town wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and the biggest, know nothing, under-qualified, serial volunteer, now an elected official is.........our Mayor!
He sure does know how to buy property! The city is now in the real estate business and not to help the tax base, just to fill up the empty lots! Al though the property on Cicero still is empty and they have paid more than $ 60,000 for "professional services", sure wonder what that mean? Tried to move an existing business into that property, but could not get the business to finally bite! So it just looks as if they were trying to take two business properties and make a them in to one big problem! I guess the other business couldn't get enough of the City Grant money they were promised! Maybe the city should re-think the arrangement they have with the head of the "Land Bank Management" Group? Is there a reason that this person is still employed by the city? He works for Manhard, what has he or Manhard done for this town to date? Or right turn a few shovels of dirt for a new train station, what taxes will be generated from a train station again? With the problems that this administration had addressed in town at the time of the last election, it is really scary they have not addressed any of them!
Res

Tinley Park, IL

#31 Nov 24, 2012
Marcottes was supposed to move into the building on Cicero in April. Did they opt out of that? Must be nice, get a building all rehabbed at probably a lower price than what was paid for it.
Daisy Dukes

Chicago, IL

#32 Nov 30, 2012
When you wonder why all the folks in this town are not clear where this administration and council are going, read the comments below and you may get a flavor for what this whole 4 years have or have not been about! There is a flavor here that just doesn't pass the smell test! Does this Alderman see the same things that the regular taxpayers see?

"Hello all, and I hope this email finds you well.

I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know I intend to run for 4th Ward Alderman again in the general election to be held Tuesday April 9, 2013. I had enjoyed representing you for the last 6-years. I feel the City is moving in the right direction, and I feel my input on the issues we face are well accepted. If you have any questions regarding the City and/or our ward, please do not hesitate to call me or send me a note. I always get back to everyone as soon as I can. Those who have contacted me in the past know that we don't always get the answers we want, but at least I will always get you an answer. There are some very exciting things on the horizon for Oak Forest, and I cannot wait to tell you about them.

Also, if you need any help finding our polling place or getting friends and family registered to vote, let me know.

At this time, I have the minimum required signatures for my petitions, but I can have more. If you would like to sign my petition, please let me know if you will be around on Sunday, and I will come out to your home. This would be a good time to touch base again and talk about anything you need. It is supposed to be really nice on Sunday, so that will be the last day I am out doing the election stuff until March.

Also, if you are willing to place a yard sign out for me, let me know as I am starting my placement list. Just like the last two elections, if you place a yard sign for me, I will have it removed the day after the election or you can feel free to remove it yourself.

So send me a note with your address and/or phone number if you would like to sign my petition and are available this Sunday and/or if you would like one of my yard signs on your lawn. The shiny orange will compliment any landscaping.

I certainly can use some help once the campaign starts in March, so if you could lend a hand, please let me know. The Citizens with Toland group had a blast walking the streets and getting people out to vote. Keep your eyes and ears open for upcoming possible fundraiser and/or meet and greet the candidate night. If you want to be added to the campaign mailing list and team, please let me know.

I appreciate the opportunity to earn your vote. Regardless of who you might vote for, please get out and vote Tuesday April 9, 2013."

Important dates:
March 12, 2013 - last day to register to vote
March 13, 2013 - first day for grace period registration and grace period voting.
March 25, 2013 - first day of early voting
April 6, 2013 - last day for grace period registration and grace period voting, last day for early voting.
April 9, 2013 - Please go out and VOTE!!!

Chuck Toland
Alderman 4th Ward
Colleen

Harvey, IL

#33 Nov 30, 2012
Election stuff? Had a blast? Is that what you call it? Please tell me someone is running against this guy.
Greg thomas

United States

#34 Dec 1, 2012
Daisy Dukes wrote:
When you wonder why all the folks in this town are not clear where this administration and council are going, read the comments below and you may get a flavor for what this whole 4 years have or have not been about! There is a flavor here that just doesn't pass the smell test! Does this Alderman see the same things that the regular taxpayers see?
I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know I intend to run for 4th Ward Alderman again in the general election to be held Tuesday April 9, 2013. I had enjoyed representing you for the last 6-years. I feel the City is moving in the right direction, and I feel my input on the issues we face are well accepted. If you have any questions regarding the City and/or our ward, please do not hesitate to call me or send me a note. I always get back to everyone as soon as I can. Those who have contacted me in the past know that we don't always get the answers we want, but at least I will always get you an answer. There are some very exciting things on the horizon for Oak Forest, and I cannot wait to tell you about them.
Also, if you need any help finding our polling place or getting friends and family registered to vote, let me know.
At this time, I have the minimum required signatures for my petitions, but I can have more. If you would like to sign my petition, please let me know if you will be around on Sunday, and I will come out to your home. This would be a good time to touch base again and talk about anything you need. It is supposed to be really nice on Sunday, so that will be the last day I am out doing the election stuff until March.
Also, if you are willing to place a yard sign out for me, let me know as I am starting my placement list. Just like the last two elections, if you place a yard sign for me, I will have it removed the day after the election or you can feel free to remove it yourself.
So send me a note with your address and/or phone number if you would like to sign my petition and are available this Sunday and/or if you would like one of my yard signs on your lawn. The shiny orange will compliment any landscaping.
I certainly can use some help once the campaign starts in March, so if you could lend a hand, please let me know. The Citizens with Toland group had a blast walking the streets and getting people out to vote. Keep your eyes and ears open for upcoming possible fundraiser and/or meet and greet the candidate night. If you want to be added to the campaign mailing list and team, please let me know.
I appreciate the opportunity to earn your vote. Regardless of who you might vote for, please get out and vote Tuesday April 9, 2013."
Important dates:
March 13, 2013 - first day for grace period registration and grace period voting.
April 6, 2013 - last day for grace period registration and grace peiod voting, last day for early voting.
Chuck Toland
Alderman 4th Ward
What e mail account did this come from?? His Oak forest one?? If so doesn't sound legit.
Res

Tinley Park, IL

#35 Dec 1, 2012
Vote him out. He's part of the problem.
Deakre

Chicago, IL

#36 Dec 2, 2012
Res wrote:
Vote him out. He's part of the problem.
After agree, it doesn't seem like this one has a very good feel for the pain of the taxpayers!
Huh

Oak Lawn, IL

#37 Dec 2, 2012
Why is on the Chicago Ridge Topix?
Res

Chicago, IL

#38 Dec 2, 2012
It appears that none of the current board members feel the pain. They keep bleeding money for stupid stuff. Out they go.
Neighbor

Forest Park, IL

#39 Dec 2, 2012
I don't have a problem with this email, and don't think there is anything suspicious about it. If he really feels he has done well and the City is headed in the right direction, he has a right to say so. Not that I agree with that viewpoint. Agree or disagree, he has been one, if not the only one that I can recall that will actually respond and states that he is available to anyone in the City should they have questions. Gotta give him some props for that at least. Does he have any competition?
Daisy Dukes wrote:
Important dates:
April 6, 2013 - last day for grace period registration and grace period voting, last day for early voting.
Chuck Toland
Alderman 4th Ward
Live or Relive History

Chicago, IL

#40 Dec 7, 2012
Yes I believe he wil have a advisary this time around and if that is the case he will have to stand on his record! If he gets back to folks or not in private is all well and good, but where has he taken a stand to help the taxpayers? In his mind "the city is going in the right direction." Let him speak to that in public, what does that mean anyway? What really matters is in 4 years has this Administration and these council members made it better to live is this community? If you can say YES then that answers your voting direction, if you say NO, then it would be best to vote in another direction!

Let this Alderman stand on his record - Voted for buying property in town with taxpayers' money, created an 8 year Garbage Contract with increases ever year, Voted to pay excess Economic Development money with little to show for it! Voted for the water increase!
If that is going in the right direction then fine, that is his opinion, let him defend it. All I see is towns larger than ours to the south and west have fewer Forclosures per capita, towns to north, east and southeast have increased their Sales Tax base, even in a bad economy! Where is the growth in Oak Forest? Marcotte's to a vacant warehouse that has not seen a profitable business since Julio retired! What a great idea! Value on my property down, taxes up and no way to make them understand!

We have sidewalks and a new train station coming though, that will boost the economy in Oak Forest!

I do not see the statement about the direction of this town being defendable, it is a very shallow statement anyway with no backup to support it!

Maybe instead of all the private conversations this Adlerman has, he should really make a point at the council meetings of stating all the great things going on that help taxpayers!
Deakre

Chicago, IL

#41 Dec 9, 2012
Live or Relive History wrote:
Yes I believe he wil have a advisary this time around and if that is the case he will have to stand on his record! If he gets back to folks or not in private is all well and good, but where has he taken a stand to help the taxpayers? In his mind "the city is going in the right direction." Let him speak to that in public, what does that mean anyway? What really matters is in 4 years has this Administration and these council members made it better to live is this community? If you can say YES then that answers your voting direction, if you say NO, then it would be best to vote in another direction!
Let this Alderman stand on his record - Voted for buying property in town with taxpayers' money, created an 8 year Garbage Contract with increases ever year, Voted to pay excess Economic Development money with little to show for it! Voted for the water increase!
If that is going in the right direction then fine, that is his opinion, let him defend it. All I see is towns larger than ours to the south and west have fewer Forclosures per capita, towns to north, east and southeast have increased their Sales Tax base, even in a bad economy! Where is the growth in Oak Forest? Marcotte's to a vacant warehouse that has not seen a profitable business since Julio retired! What a great idea! Value on my property down, taxes up and no way to make them understand!
We have sidewalks and a new train station coming though, that will boost the economy in Oak Forest!
I do not see the statement about the direction of this town being defendable, it is a very shallow statement anyway with no backup to support it!
Maybe instead of all the private conversations this Adlerman has, he should really make a point at the council meetings of stating all the great things going on that help taxpayers!
Everything you write here is very interesting and seems to cast a bright light on this whol past 4 Years! If you read the paper today it shows you how other towns work also! Oak Forest borrowing is one of the communities that are increased and the taxpayers really need to focus on the increase with what to show for it! While another article talks about how Orland is very fiscally sound and is rebating some of the property tax!

Just goes to show you the vast difference in a couple communities!
Fiscal sound vs. Borrowing more with no major plans to help the taxpayers!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Justice Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review; All Star Bar & Grill. (Feb '13) 12 hr Bar advisory 8
State ID cards, drivers licenses, no longer acc... 13 hr Bar advisory 1
News Red-light cameras rake in millions for Chicago ... 14 hr Lowest of Them All 31
Problems with RidgeFest? Tue suck fest 2017 5
Gay hookup teens (Jul '15) Tue BooSHaT288a 5
News Justice promotes 2 police officers to corporal (Apr '14) Mon Justice taxpayer 3
News Former Hells Angels Leader Sentenced (Nov '06) Jul 24 Scott 268

Justice Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Justice Mortgages