If Health Law Is Overturned, What Will Liberals Do?

Mar 28, 2012 Full story: thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com 4,941

If the Supreme Court strikes down all or part of President Obama 's health care law , it will have unraveled a legislative compromise that many liberals had viewed with suspicion from the beginning.

In one of the ironies of recent politics, Mr. Obama was a late convert to the merits of the individual mandate that now appears to be in danger of being declared unconstitutional.

But the president’s embrace of the mandate — and his willingness to abandon a so-called public option to get a health care deal — was a hard pill to swallow for many of his Democratic supporters.

The Affordable Care Act promises to provide health insurance to millions who lacked it. But it also stops far short of the idea that health care is a basic right for everyone living in the country. And it embraces the market-based system of private health care delivery that has long existed in America.

Full Story

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#5299 Oct 12, 2012
Well I think big Joe, flashed his pearly whites enough to win yesterdays debate. It's just up to Obama to pick up some points in his next one to save the world from oblivion.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#5300 Oct 12, 2012
curious wrote:
<quoted text>Bush was a failure I didnt support his wars & runaway spending. And Dumbama is a failure also. dumbama has esclated the war in afganistan , And is now getting the US involved in a war with Israel & Iran. And give the post number where I stated anything about trading in my wife on a newer model. I may be a Altizmer boy. But you are a racist partizan liar troll.
Total BS Churm. Now you have changed your name? Why? What are you hiding you racist pig foot licker.

You stated that people who could not do a full day's work were useless and should be discarded and this included your old hag of a wife.

I said that I was surprised she did not whack you up side the head with a skillet. You have no memory because you are old and suffering from the rightwingers mental disease.

Did you finally figure out how to apply for Medicare benefits or are you spitting on those as well.

BWahahahahahahahahahahhahha

Location hidden

#5301 Oct 12, 2012
curious wrote:
<quoted text>Bush was a failure I didnt support his wars & runaway spending. And Dumbama is a failure also. dumbama has esclated the war in afganistan , And is now getting the US involved in a war with Israel & Iran. And give the post number where I stated anything about trading in my wife on a newer model. I may be a Altizmer boy. But you are a racist partizan liar troll.
Oh yeah, Obama is winding down the Afghanistan surge. He is currently on track to get out and leave them to their own messes. Bush ignored all of the warnings before 911 and then ignored the mess he made in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Obama the calm adult has been quietly fixing all of Bush's disasters. Obama the calm adult looks with absolute disdain on the childish fratpunk that is Romney. We all do. The GOPOX has not had a serious candidate in generations.

Obama has cleaned up much of our involvement in Iraq and is doing so in Afghanistan.
kissin cousins

Junction City, KS

#5302 Oct 12, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Where did you get that idea? Ive been married to my wife for more than 4 decases. We are soul mates. If something happened I would never want another woman. It wouldnt be fair to another woman to have to be in my wifes shadow. nobody else could ever fill her shoes or be as beautiful ect. Also Ive been bitched and griped at more than enough for one lifetime why invite trouble? besides she is considerably younger than me. however if she became disabled I will take care of her she is my responsibility. all our property is in joint ownership. I hope Ive got it fixed to where whoever dies first the survivor wont even have to probate the estate.
You mentioned earlier being 66 years old. You`ve been married more than 4 "decases" so you married at 25 , at the latest. Your wife is "considerably" younger than you , by your own admission. This leads me to believe you probably married your 13-year-old cousin. You definitely epitomize rural Arkansas lifestyles.
Churmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

#5303 Oct 12, 2012
kissin cousins wrote:
<quoted text>You mentioned earlier being 66 years old. You`ve been married more than 4 "decases" so you married at 25 , at the latest. Your wife is "considerably" younger than you , by your own admission. This leads me to believe you probably married your 13-year-old cousin. You definitely epitomize rural Arkansas lifestyles.
My wife is 7 years younger than me. And its a fact the definition of a virgin in the south is a 12 year old whut can outrun all of her male relatives. My family migrated to arkansas Ive got very few relatives here.

Location hidden

#5304 Oct 14, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>My wife is 7 years younger than me. And its a fact the definition of a virgin in the south is a 12 year old whut can outrun all of her male relatives. My family migrated to arkansas Ive got very few relatives here.
So, what is your old wife down to now? Can she actually do a full day's worth of manual labor? I suspect that she can only do about 60% of a day's worth of manual labor and is, according to your misogynistic standards, overdue for a trade in.

Location hidden

#5305 Oct 30, 2012
Well Al Gore said these super storms are due to climate change and it makes you wonder considering all these storms have been once in 100 yr event. Yet we are seeing this type of thing now every year all over the world. While it may be too late to reverse this, there is still some logic in putting in measures so it won't be worse. Coal is one thing that is rapidly losing its value, and poor ole Mitt wants to open up new mines and drill more oil. I'm sure that's in line with the rest of his 21 st century approach to everything.

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#5306 Nov 3, 2012
"Democrats will need to champion policies especially important to these groups - for example, immigration reforms that take account of how long someone has been in the United States and how much they've contributed as workers and citizens; paid family and medical leave for women (as well as men) who must care for their families in emergencies; expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit, providing larger income supplements to lower-income workers; and income-contingent college loans, allowing them to be repaid as a fixed percentage of full-time jobs over a limited number of years.

All these have the added advantage of being good policies, regardless of their political attractiveness." www.robertreich.org

Location hidden

#5307 Nov 3, 2012
OzRitz wrote:
Well Al Gore said these super storms are due to climate change and it makes you wonder considering all these storms have been once in 100 yr event. Yet we are seeing this type of thing now every year all over the world. While it may be too late to reverse this, there is still some logic in putting in measures so it won't be worse. Coal is one thing that is rapidly losing its value, and poor ole Mitt wants to open up new mines and drill more oil. I'm sure that's in line with the rest of his 21 st century approach to everything.
Too late! We should have gone for mitigation decades ago.

We still aren't doing it today. The oil and coal companies are out in force denying, denying, denying along with their Republiscums lackeys.

The point now is ADAPTATION. I hope people aren't thinking about using resources to rebuild along the Eastern Seaboard or replanting in heavy drought-prone areas or dream houses in wildfire-friendly places.

Location hidden

#5308 Nov 3, 2012
Obama: Insurance companies should not be able to arbitrarily cap benefits and let people die.

Romney: Why not? Companies are people and more important than flesh and blood people because they have more money. Money always trumps everything.
Walt Smedley

Irving, TX

#5309 Nov 3, 2012
Americans will not let Obamacare be overturned and that's why we're giving him another term.
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#5310 Nov 4, 2012
Sunday, November 4, 2012
Risk Experts Say It's Not Climate Change, It's Coastal Communities. It’s been a common reaction in the days after the hurricane, or post-tropical storm, or whatever we’re calling the 1,000 mile-wide wall of wind and rain that blasted the Northeast on Monday, to blame the shocking wave of destruction on global warming.
The experts who build the sophisticated models that the insurance industry uses to assess risk, say that global warning wasn’t the first factor responsible for the damage caused by Sandy and other recent storms. Instead, it’s where we’ve built our homes.“I don’t know that we have the historical track record to say that weather has become more volatile, but as a society we’ve become more vulnerable to weather risks. There are a lot of people who live in areas that are susceptible.”“The big elephant in the room is not climate change,” said the creator of the modern catastrophe modeling industry.“It’s the increasing property values. We continue to build bigger, more expensive homes along the coast.”
In the late 80's, the U.S. had gone decades without a hurricane landing, and insurance companies were grossly underestimating the risks involved. Models showed, for instance, that if a Category 5 hurricane hit Miami, the losses would have been on the order of $60 to $70 billion.“The insurance companies thought it was $7 billion. They weren’t monitoring the trillions of dollars of property being built on the coastline.”
After Hurricane Andrew created about $21 billion in insured losses, the catastrophe modeling business took off. To understand the expected cost of a storm, and ultimately, how much property owners should pay for insurance, the modelers map tens of thousands of storms over real-life physical data. Each of the hypothetical hurricanes in the catastrophe models is unique, though some more unusual than others. In the real world, storms are unique too. Certainly, much was made of Sandy’s mix of tropical weather with blocking weather patterns from the north and west. But as a destructive force, Sandy is less unusual.
The so-called Long Island Express, a 1938 hurricane that wrecked the Northeast, racked up $35 billion in insured damages in 2012 dollars. A 1926 hurricane that leveled Miami caused insured costs of $126 billion by today’s dollars.“Sandy was unprecedented, it’s a 500-year, 1000-year event, when they focus on the meteorology. The impacts of Sandy are not unprecedented.” We can expect more terribly destructive storms - not because of global warming, but because of the concentration of population and property in harm’s way.

“Come Home America!”

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#5311 Nov 4, 2012
Did Climate Change Cause Hurricane Sandy?| Observations ...
But the corollary to that is NOT that you can’t link climate change to a given storm.... Now insurance companies admit there is global warming,...
blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/201... .. "The hedge expressed by journalists is that many variables go into creating a big storm, so the size of Hurricane Sandy, or any specific storm, cannot be attributed to climate change. That’s true, and it’s based on good science. However, that statement does not mean that we cannot say that climate change is making storms bigger. It is doing just that—a statement also based on good science, and one that the insurance industry is embracing, by the way. "

“Come Home America!”

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#5312 Nov 4, 2012
It's Global Warming, Stupid - Businessweek
Yes, yes, it’s unsophisticated to blame any given storm on climate change....(backup policies purchased by other insurance companies),...
www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-11-01/its-... .. " On Oct. 17 the giant German reinsurance company Munich Re issued a prescient report titled Severe Weather in North America. Globally, the rate of extreme weather events is rising, and “nowhere in the world is the rising number of natural catastrophes more evident than in North America.” From 1980 through 2011, weather disasters caused losses totaling $1.06 trillion. Munich Re found “a nearly quintupled number of weather-related loss events in North America for the past three decades.” By contrast, there was “an increase factor of 4 in Asia, 2.5 in Africa, 2 in Europe, and 1.5 in South America.” Human-caused climate change “is believed to contribute to this trend,” the report said,“though it influences various perils in different ways.”

Global warming “particularly affects formation of heat waves, droughts, intense precipitation events, and in the long run most probably also tropical cyclone intensity,” Munich Re said. This July was the hottest month recorded in the U.S. since record-keeping began in 1895, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The U.S. Drought Monitor reported that two-thirds of the continental U.S. suffered drought conditions this summer."

Location hidden

#5313 Nov 4, 2012
All I know is, the cost of insurance keeps rising and pretty soon there will be no insurance available unless you want to pay some out-landish price.
That should be proof right then and there, but these storms that are supposed to be once in a lifetime event keep coming now year after year. What does that tell you, it was all part of the prediction Big Al made in his movie.
It will be far too late once the food bowls get no rain and all the populated areas get flooded. The only president that might even contemplate that something needs to be done with emissions is Obama, so that is where your vote should go.

Location hidden

#5314 Nov 4, 2012
Walt Smedley wrote:
Americans will not let Obamacare be overturned and that's why we're giving him another term.
RomneyCare with the INDIVIDUAL MANDATE with TAX PENALTIES was so important to Romney that he had it incorporated into his official Governor's portrait.

It was at least as important to him than Ann who was also included...probably more so.

So his ONLY achievement in a governing position is now out the door as the cheap coward runs from the extremist TeaBagging mob? You know, the Teabagging old farts who scream about getting government out of their SS and Medicare?

Low information voters vote Republiscum.

Location hidden

#5315 Nov 4, 2012
OzRitz wrote:
All I know is, the cost of insurance keeps rising and pretty soon there will be no insurance available unless you want to pay some out-landish price.
That should be proof right then and there, but these storms that are supposed to be once in a lifetime event keep coming now year after year. What does that tell you, it was all part of the prediction Big Al made in his movie.
It will be far too late once the food bowls get no rain and all the populated areas get flooded. The only president that might even contemplate that something needs to be done with emissions is Obama, so that is where your vote should go.
Romney's suggestion for young people was to get a few hundred thousand from their parents and start their own business.

Romney's suggestion for Sandy victims is to take a fat tax deduction for their losses and go hang out in their second home in California or their third home in the Caymans.
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#5316 Nov 4, 2012
OzRitz wrote:
Dont be a gullible sheeple. So Fat Al gore predicted a few things? So did nostradamus & edgar cayce. and a fellow called Ezekiel made a few predictions also! Of course the climate changed. its been changing since fopever. there is no normal or optimal climate. The recient and countinuing clatyclismic events are not caused by mans activities. Even if tose activities are from emissions. And man cant mitigat or stop them. these clatyclismic vents would still be happening even if man had never existed. They are caused bu an End of an Age cycle. Its a Pole Shift.
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#5317 Nov 4, 2012
The massive earthquake coming to Istanbul will make Sandy seem like nothing - In Istanbul, politicians are in a race against time, and time is winning by about three years. The vast city is as vulnerable to earthquakes as Los Angeles, but not as prepared. Istanbul is very close to the North Anatolian Fault, which runs beneath the Marmara Sea, and whose most significant break is said to occur every 500 years. The last time the fault broke, the city was ruined. Landmarks collapsed; thousands died; and the city walls, famous for halting invasions, were useless against floodwaters. That quake, nicknamed "the Little Apocalypse," hit in 1509, 503 years ago.
Turkey's recent history is also marked by earthquakes. In 1999 almost 20,000 people died in Izmit, about 60 miles east of Istanbul. One year ago, the southeast city of Van was devastated by a 7.1-magnitude earthquake. Both events increased panic in Istanbul, and the policies of the governing Justice and Development Party -- like building codes and an earthquake tax -- were called into question because they had failed to mitigate damage in Van. Had they learned nothing?
Over 13 million people live in Istanbul (unofficial numbers are much higher), and relentless development has swelled the city far beyond its ancient walls. The new buildings are not necessarily safer. The construction process was mired by unapplied building codes, poor communication, and greed. "Land is expensive, so you build as tall as you can. Land is gold in Istanbul."

“Conscience of the Heartland”

Since: Oct 10

Junction City KS

#5319 Nov 28, 2012
Never too late to tell you rightwing jackasses Obamacare is here to stay and your irrational response to it helped make that happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Junction City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blight waiving of fees wrong 11 min disgusted 58
Korean Mafia at Work in Juction City (Feb '10) 3 hr The Kangaroo 159
Chapman boys charged in crime spree (Jun '09) 15 hr WeveAllBeenYoungN... 35
Word Association (Jan '09) 19 hr The Kangaroo 1,053
Keep a Word -- Drop a Word Game (Mar '10) 20 hr Honest Babe 5,124
What do you know about the candidates for City ... Sun All the answers 16
Ghost Crew Sun The Kangaroo 62
Junction City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web