First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dan

Junction City, KS

#1 Jul 21, 2009
Well Mick Wunder plead not guilty today in federal court. What do you suppose this means? What do you think he is planning to do? Do you think he is going to try to beat the charges? Let me know what you guys are thinking.
Thoughts

Manhattan, KS

#2 Jul 21, 2009
I think you should get a life and not kick people when they are down.
Rhonda

Wichita, KS

#3 Jul 21, 2009
Thoughts wrote:
Ditto.
Kara

Wichita, KS

#4 Jul 21, 2009
Sorry, I don't see how asking a simple question about a pretty big deal in our city is "kicking someone when there are down".(We're talking FEDERAL CHARGES here)!

What Mick is accused of doing has effected our entire city in a very negative way....we as tax payers and homeowners all have a right to wunder what will happen next.
bob

Atlanta, GA

#5 Jul 21, 2009
Thoughts wrote:
and i think when we elect a city offical he shouldnt take bribes. call me old fashioned i guess.
We need help

Fort Riley, KS

#6 Jul 21, 2009
Amen
Bill

Wichita, KS

#7 Jul 21, 2009
According to the Lawrence newspaper, he had to plead a mandatory "not guilty". I don't understand why, but that's what it said.
Kara

Wichita, KS

#8 Jul 21, 2009
Bill wrote:
According to the Lawrence newspaper, he had to plead a mandatory "not guilty".
Interesting. I wonder what that's all about???
bob

Atlanta, GA

#9 Jul 21, 2009
Bill wrote:
According to the Lawrence newspaper, he had to plead a mandatory "not guilty". I don't understand why, but that's what it said.
Federal charges you have to enter not guilty, then you can later change it if you want to
Lawrence Article

Andover, KS

#10 Jul 21, 2009
Please read the article; Mr. Wunder entered his MANDATORY PLEA, which could have either been Guilty or Not Guilty. The court does not tell anyone how they have to plead.
Former Junction City commissioner pleads not guilty in bank fraud case
By Mark Fagan
July 21, 2009
A former Junction City commissioner formally pleaded not guilty Tuesday to charges that he accepted payments and gifts from a Lawrence developer who had been seeking the city’s permission to develop hundreds of homes to accommodate troops and families from nearby Fort Riley.
Michael “Mick” Wunder entered his mandatory plea Tuesday afternoon before Magistrate Judge Gary Sebelius in U.S. District Court in Topeka.
Wunder is charged with bank fraud, conspiracy to commit bank fraud and structuring financial transactions to evade regulatory requirements. He also faces five counts of unlawfully using his position as a commissioner to obtain money and other properties, and one count of perjury for allegedly lying about his role in the scheme while questioned by a grand jury.
If convicted of bank fraud or conspiracy, Wunder would face up to 30 years in prison. Convictions on the other charges also carry potential prison sentences.
Wunder was indicted by a grand jury June 10, a document that was unsealed July 1 — a day after Lawrence developer David Ray Freeman pleaded guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to commit bank fraud. Freeman’s plea agreement includes a pledge that he would provide information and testify against others who might have been involved in the scheme.
As part of his guilty plea, Freeman admitted to directing three payments totaling $19,000 to Wunder and treating him to dinner, drinks, limo service and a hotel stay on the Plaza in Kansas City, Mo. Freeman had bragged to associates that he had Wunder “in his pocket.”
Freeman also acknowledged that his company, Big D Development and Construction, had secured permission from Junction City to develop subdivisions in deals that were worth a combined $12 million for Big D.
Michael Francis, Wunder’s attorney, declined to comment on the charges or the circumstances surrounding them.
Arguments on motions are set for Aug. 28, at which time a trial date would be set.
Dan

Junction City, KS

#11 Jul 21, 2009
Thoughts wrote:
Like Kara said...I was just simply asking a question. Your statement lends me to believe that you have something personal involved here.
Bill

Wichita, KS

#12 Jul 22, 2009
Sorry, Lawrence Article, his plea had to be not guilty. That was the only plea the US magistrate could accept.
Bill

Wichita, KS

#13 Jul 22, 2009
Thoughts wrote:
He brought this on himself- it's not like he got hit by a car or his dog died.
Just asking

Silver Lake, KS

#14 Jul 22, 2009
Bill, why is it that the US magistrate Could only accept a guilty plea?
Is that how the Developer had to plea also?
Why is that?
Sorry for so many questions
Just asking

Silver Lake, KS

#15 Jul 22, 2009
Sorry, I meant a not guilty plea.
Plea

Junction City, KS

#16 Jul 22, 2009
This is very common. Provides time for attorneys to make deals and look at evidence. If he's not guilty no deal should be accepted. If he thinks something could go wrong in front of a jury, he will take a deal. For him, time cannot go slow enough.
Guilty or not, he has brought embarrasment to JC and they will now spend $80,000.00 to give themselves a clean bill of health.
on behalf of

Junction City, KS

#17 Jul 22, 2009
-excerpt from the Daily Union-

Wunder Pleads Not Guilty in First Appearance
7/22/2009 #4553 - 129
TOPEKA —
Wunder had no other option Tuesday than to plead not guilty before U.S. Magistrate Judge Gary Sebelius. By law, U.S. magistrate judges, who in most federal cases oversee initial court appearances, cannot accept a guilty plea from a defendant, although they are required to ask the defendant to make a plea during that hearing. After a defendant pleads not guilty at an initial appearance, he or she can make the request for a change-of-plea hearing if they choose to do so. A change-of-plea hearing then takes place before a U.S. District judge, who, by law, can accept guilty pleas.
Wunder, 52, has so far not requested a change-of-plea hearing. The only hearing in the case that has been set is scheduled for Aug. 28, at which time any pre-trial motions made in the case will be discussed in court.

Freeman and Wunder are the only two who have been indicted in the case. However, Jim Cross, a spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney's Office, says the investigation is ongoing.
By Eric Brown
The Daily Union
enamon

Junction City, KS

#18 Jul 22, 2009
Bill wrote:
Bill, this is correct. This hearing was more to read him his rights, charges, conduct, set bond,etc. He can change his plea at later hearings.
Fact

Junction City, KS

#19 Jul 22, 2009
Kara wrote:
Sorry, I don't see how asking a simple question about a pretty big deal in our city is "kicking someone when there are down".(We're talking FEDERAL CHARGES here)!
What Mick is accused of doing has effected our entire city in a very negative way....we as tax payers and homeowners all have a right to wunder what will happen next.
Some of you have already decided Mr. Wunder is guilty, your key word is "accused".
union

Junction City, KS

#20 Jul 22, 2009
Fact wrote:
<quoted text>Some of you have already decided Mr. Wunder is guilty, your key word is "accused".
Right out of the "Daily Union"....."Former Junction City Mayor, ACCUSED BY FEDERAL AUTHORITIES of accepting bribes from a Lawrence developer........."

How can it be more plain?.....what do you think the difference is between accused and charged?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Junction City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dude Wheres My Limo ? 10 hr The Kangaroo 8
Dinky and Not taking care of employees 10 hr The CM is a joke 36
Rogue Bennett 13 hr Eye Roll 5
What do you think are the three biggest problem... 13 hr Eye Roll 80
County Counselor 16 hr one out of three 5
Consolidated Chamber Wed Bad CEO 1
Who else will Rod throw under bus before he is ... (Dec '10) Jul 17 pissed off resident 24

Junction City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Junction City Mortgages