Lick her on Sundays
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
JH in JC

Liberty, MO

#1 Feb 4, 2013
I knew that title would be catchy. Ok, I am not saying I am a lush ( ok, maybe I am ) but why exactly does JC not allow liquor sales on Sunday, but the great metropolis of Grand View Plaza allows it?
who knows

Junction City, KS

#2 Feb 4, 2013
JH in JC wrote:
I knew that title would be catchy. Ok, I am not saying I am a lush ( ok, maybe I am ) but why exactly does JC not allow liquor sales on Sunday, but the great metropolis of Grand View Plaza allows it?
You can also buy it at BJ's out on Hwy 77...that is closer than going to grandview...but...it is only from noon until 8 pm at bj's.
JH in JC

Liberty, MO

#3 Feb 4, 2013
They sell whiskey at BJs?
american

Fayetteville, NC

#4 Feb 4, 2013
JH in JC wrote:
Can you not plan your drinking to where you buy enough on Saturday to last through Monday. If your budget is based on one pint of cheap vodka at a time you need another hobby
who knows

Junction City, KS

#5 Feb 4, 2013
JH in JC wrote:
They sell whiskey at BJs?
beer...
the reason

Junction City, KS

#6 Feb 4, 2013
JH in JC wrote:
The liquor store owners in JC asked that the city council not approve Sunday sales. They pretty much all agreed that having one day off a week wasn't a bad thing.
bob

Junction City, KS

#7 Feb 4, 2013
all liquer stores in manhattan are open sundays.Jc is just a backward little town
JH n JC

Manhattan, KS

#8 Feb 4, 2013
@aerican- how and when someone spends their money is none of your concern, just like how and when you spend yours is no one else's concern.
@the reason- so the city council can decide that citizens aren't adult enough to decide whether or not to buy package liquor on Sundays, but citizens are adult enough to decide whether or not to buy crappy, unhealthy fast food or go to a stripclub on Sunday?
Rufus Payne

Junction City, KS

#9 Feb 4, 2013
The Grandview Liquor Store has long lines of customers from open to close every Sunday. They are cleaning up.
Weekday Buyer

Junction City, KS

#10 Feb 5, 2013
JH in JC wrote:
Retailers in JC turned down the opportunity to sell on Sundays, excuse was cost for employees. The the profit margin from sales would not cover the overhead. Those same retailers do not want grocery outlets to be able to sale beer and wine on Sundays.

Grandview is only a couple of miles away from almost any point in JC and should be no problem for anyone who really needs a drink.I have never bought any alcohol in Grandview, I just wonder what the comparison of prices would be versus Mon through Sat in JC.
the reason

Junction City, KS

#11 Feb 5, 2013
JH n JC wrote:
@aerican- how and when someone spends their money is none of your concern, just like how and when you spend yours is no one else's concern.
@the reason- so the city council can decide that citizens aren't adult enough to decide whether or not to buy package liquor on Sundays, but citizens are adult enough to decide whether or not to buy crappy, unhealthy fast food or go to a stripclub on Sunday?
No, it had nothing to do with whether anyone thought people are adult enought or not, it was about the retailers who would have been directly affected saying they didn't want to stay open on Sundays. This was not a consumer issue.
If a person's maturity level came into play on the question it would likely have been answered as the previous poster stated. If you are adult enough to drink, you're adult enough to go to the store during normal business hours.
If the city commission had approved it, retailers would still have had the option of being open on Sunday or not, but they would run a huge risk of losing part of their customer base if they are not open and even one other place did open.
And there really wasn't much call from the citizens to allow it - it wasn't a big deal and still doesn't seem to be.
Ralphy

Milford, KS

#12 Feb 5, 2013
BJ's only sells 3.2 beer. No hard stuff. You can only buy strong beer (above 3.2) from a state licensed liquor store. Yeah, Grandview is a little higher on Sunday's but that's cheaper than driving out of town.
bjs bar

United States

#13 Feb 5, 2013
Lick her in the front, poke her in the back.
silly rabbit

Junction City, KS

#14 Feb 5, 2013
I have to agree that it seems a little backward to have the liquor stores closed when the bars stay open...it really must all go back to the prohibition days but seriously it doesn't make any sense. In the meantime, the GVP store is bankin'!
Camaraderie

Junction City, KS

#15 Feb 5, 2013
Rufus Payne wrote:
The Grandview Liquor Store has long lines of customers from open to close every Sunday.
It`s a great place to meet some of the finest people of this community. It`s always a heart warming experience to mingle with some of JC`s finest citizens there. A totally uplifting experience.
OMFG

De Witt, IA

#16 Feb 6, 2013
The owners are just gready for money. They have to keep the lawyers paid.
the reason

Junction City, KS

#17 Feb 6, 2013
OMFG wrote:
The owners are just gready for money. They have to keep the lawyers paid.
The store owner are greedy? How do you figure that? You think because they want one day a week off and they don't want to lose money - that makes them greedy?
JH in JC

Liberty, MO

#18 Feb 6, 2013
How will they be losing money? If they don't feel, or if they did the research and determined, that sales wouldn't justify being open on Sundays; then they just don't open on Sundays. If a store that is open on Sunday gains new customers b/c another, similar store isn't open on Sundays, that is just too bad. That is how a free market works. Do any of the barber shops, mexican joints, or even Walmart complain about being open on Sundays? Nope.
the reason

Junction City, KS

#19 Feb 6, 2013
JH in JC wrote:
How will they be losing money? If they don't feel, or if they did the research and determined, that sales wouldn't justify being open on Sundays; then they just don't open on Sundays. If a store that is open on Sunday gains new customers b/c another, similar store isn't open on Sundays, that is just too bad. That is how a free market works. Do any of the barber shops, mexican joints, or even Walmart complain about being open on Sundays? Nope.
Most small businesses are closed on Sundays.
This isn't to hard to understand, if you are open 7 days of week instead of 6 days week you spend more payroll, utilities and the general operating expenses. Meanwhile, in this particular industry at lease, people aren't going to purchase more of your product if you are open 7 days, they will simply have an additional day to make their normal purchases.
As for your other point, liquor stores tend to gain a base clientelle. These are the customers who will become loyal to one particular location, but loyalty only goes so far.
If there are 6 liquor stores in town and 5 choose to stay closed and one opens on Sunday, that one has a leg up on the competition - thus attracting their competition's customer base. This leaves the others to either lose customers, or break into profits to cover an additional day open.
When it gets right down to it, this was one of those issues that by changing the status quo some people would be negatively affected, leaving the status quoe would not adversely affect anyone. So why change it?
JH in JC

Manhattan, KS

#20 Feb 6, 2013
@reason- we agree on everything except the why. You feel that because a change has the potential to negatively effect the 5 stores not open, the law should should not be changed. I feel that because a change might positivly effect the one store, then the change should be addressed again. If the other five stores loose business, then they are not taking advantage of the market.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Junction City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keep a Word -- Drop a Word Game (Mar '10) 3 hr cathouse cowboy 5,364
Word Association (Jan '09) 3 hr cathouse cowboy 1,164
Cougar seen at the Milford State Park Mon lol 2
Mr. Dinky Mon lol 125
Junction City Municipal Services Director - Gre... Sun What now 14
85 yr old White Woman Raped and Murdered in Her... (Mar '12) Jul 24 whatever 49
No funding for the city Cemetery Jul 23 Let the show begin 14
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Junction City Mortgages