Letters: Greed plagues health system

Letters: Greed plagues health system

There are 1584 comments on the El Paso Times story from Nov 20, 2009, titled Letters: Greed plagues health system. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Besides the main reason of wanting Obama and America to fail so as to help them get back into office, Republicans are quite happy with 50 million uninsured and the current status quo with our health system in crisis.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 80
Next Last
Manuel Alvarez

United States

#1664 Jun 4, 2010
GreenEnviroGirl, I wanted your opinion on this article I found on the Washington Post website. Please note this is not an attack on you or a " I told you so" piece. I am only looking for your honest opinion. Again I am not attacking you or your views.

"In the days after the immensity of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico became clear, some Nature Conservancy supporters took to the organization's Web site to vent their anger."

"What De Leon didn't know was that the Nature Conservancy lists BP as one of its business partners. The Conservancy also has given BP a seat on its International Leadership Council and has accepted nearly $10 million in cash and land contributions from BP and affiliated corporations over the years."

"The Conservancy, already scrambling to shield oyster beds from the spill, now faces a different problem: a potential backlash as its supporters learn that the giant oil company and the world's largest environmental organization long ago forged a relationship that has lent BP an Earth-friendly image and helped the Conservancy pursue causes it holds dear."

""This is going to be a real test for charities such as the Nature Conservancy," said Dean Zerbe, a lawyer who investigated the Conservancy's relations with its donors when he worked for the Senate Finance Committee. "This not only stains BP, but, if they don't respond properly, it also stains those who have been benefiting from their money and their support."

"Some purists believe environmental groups should keep a healthy distance from certain kinds of corporations, particularly those whose core mission poses risks to the environment. They argue that the BP spill shows the downside to what they view as deals with the devil."

"On the other side are self-described pragmatists who, like the Conservancy, see partnering with global corporations as the best way to create large-scale change."

Rest of the story here: http://www.washingtonpos t.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2 010/05/23/AR2010052302164.html

GreenEnviroGirl, since "green groups" are your crowd I was wondering what you and the others think about this? Again thank you for your response.
CholoJohnJuan

El Paso, TX

#1665 Jun 4, 2010
Manuel Alvarez wrote:
GreenEnviroGirl, I wanted your opinion on this article I found on the Washington Post website. Please note this is not an attack on you or a " I told you so" piece. I am only looking for your honest opinion. Again I am not attacking you or your views.
"In the days after the immensity of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico became clear, some Nature Conservancy supporters took to the organization's Web site to vent their anger."
"What De Leon didn't know was that the Nature Conservancy lists BP as one of its business partners. The Conservancy also has given BP a seat on its International Leadership Council and has accepted nearly $10 million in cash and land contributions from BP and affiliated corporations over the years."
"The Conservancy, already scrambling to shield oyster beds from the spill, now faces a different problem: a potential backlash as its supporters learn that the giant oil company and the world's largest environmental organization long ago forged a relationship that has lent BP an Earth-friendly image and helped the Conservancy pursue causes it holds dear."
""This is going to be a real test for charities such as the Nature Conservancy," said Dean Zerbe, a lawyer who investigated the Conservancy's relations with its donors when he worked for the Senate Finance Committee. "This not only stains BP, but, if they don't respond properly, it also stains those who have been benefiting from their money and their support."
"Some purists believe environmental groups should keep a healthy distance from certain kinds of corporations, particularly those whose core mission poses risks to the environment. They argue that the BP spill shows the downside to what they view as deals with the devil."
"On the other side are self-described pragmatists who, like the Conservancy, see partnering with global corporations as the best way to create large-scale change."
Rest of the story here: http://www.washingtonpos t.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2 010/05/23/AR2010052302164.html
GreenEnviroGirl, since "green groups" are your crowd I was wondering what you and the others think about this? Again thank you for your response.
Drill Baby Drill, Spill Baby Spill.
You should pay for it, teabagger. You supported two oil men in the White House. You should be paying for the two wars too. Obama put a moritorium on offshore drilling and the idiot Jindal said the President should rethink doing that and wants to continue to drill. You Republicans are liars and criminals. We need to raise the taxes on every single Republican and keep them as high as possible until you've paid back the debt to this country. Get your a`$$ down there and start shoveling.

Deep water drilling started long before Obama kicked your butts. You drill baby drill teabagging idiots are not going to get away with passing the buck this time.
The Right Side

Frisco, TX

#1666 Jun 24, 2010
"For the past two years, several hundred left-leaning bloggers, political reporters, magazine writers, policy wonks and academics have talked stories and compared notes in an off-the-record online meeting space called JournoList."

"One byproduct of that secrecy: For all its high-profile membership — which includes Nobel Prize-winning columnist Paul Krugman; staffers from Newsweek, POLITICO, Huffington Post, The New Republic, The Nation and The New Yorker; policy wonks, academics and bloggers such as Klein and Matthew Yglesias — JList itself has received almost no attention from the media."

"A LexisNexis search for JournoList reveals exactly nothing. Slate’s Mickey Kaus, a nonmember, may be the only professional writer to have referred to it “in print” more than once — albeit dismissively, as the “Klein Klub.”

"While members may talk freely about JList at, say, a Columbia Heights house party, there’s a “Fight Club”-style code of silence when it comes to discussing it for publication."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/200...

It sounds more like a liberal bull session. It's little wonder that it's the same slanted talking points coming out of the MSM, regardless of the medium.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#1669 Apr 22, 2011
I guess this thread died

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 80
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joshua Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tarrant-County 52 mins ago 3:29 p.m.Granbury wo... (Nov '16) Nov 15 Ron Jeremy 2
News Ex-police chief arrested again (Sep '07) Oct 28 Just Pray 22
shammi huey (Aug '10) Oct '17 Daughtertoshammi 27
Oak Creek Homes Sep '17 Charlie 1
what kinda town is granbury really? (Sep '08) Sep '17 GTown Guru 46
Local Politics Do you approve of Ken Shetter as Mayor? (Apr '16) Sep '17 Carolmar 3
Dude needs some love Jun '17 Ritual 1

Joshua Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Joshua Mortgages