ATV park takes riders through forgotten coal mining boomtowns

Oct 16, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Charleston Gazette

Woody Duba, general manager of Beaver Coal Co. and developer of Burning Rock's coal heritage tours, shows visitors the entrance to a 1,400-foot ramp that took miners into the former White Mountain Coal Co.

Comments
1 - 20 of 30 Comments Last updated Jul 19, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DebC

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Woody Duba could care less about the people of southern Wv, all he wants to do is fill beaver lands pockets. You can go ride these trails without a guide and see all the same stuff and have more fun doing it. Also 90% of the stuff they are referring to you can get to by car. Another ploy to get more money out of people.
answer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2010

Judged:

Mr. Duba failed to point out the town of Stotesbury that still exists and the people he ignores while his ATV riders cruise our roads and disrupt our lives. He did not mention Stotesbury Community Church and the fact that we tried to invite Burning Rock participants to join us for worship services.We are very proud of our thriving church and community He did not mention that Burning Rock riders cruise by New Salem Church in Tams on Sunday morning disrupting their services instead of being asked to use an alternate road for a few hours. Thank you Mr. Duba for caring!!!! WE ARE STILL HERE.
here2stay

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2010

Judged:

Beaver Land Co.'s arrogant attitudein dealing with the locals has cost them a lot of business.They can't understand that a large percentage of their customers were friends or family of people who live here.There will always be a small number of people who are against anything but most of us were glad,at one time,to see some progress taking place.But believe it or not,without the support and blessing of the locals Burning Rock will be a long time or never get established.As long as we feel looked down upon we'll send our friends to Hatfield-McCoy or better yet show them where they can ride for free.
Butterfly

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2010

Judged:

answer wrote:
Mr. Duba failed to point out the town of Stotesbury that still exists and the people he ignores while his ATV riders cruise our roads and disrupt our lives. He did not mention Stotesbury Community Church and the fact that we tried to invite Burning Rock participants to join us for worship services.We are very proud of our thriving church and community He did not mention that Burning Rock riders cruise by New Salem Church in Tams on Sunday morning disrupting their services instead of being asked to use an alternate road for a few hours. Thank you Mr. Duba for caring!!!! WE ARE STILL HERE.
Amen! I love and know many of the people of Stotesbury! I also have attended the Stotesbury Community Church, it is growing, thriving and has been restored and rebuilt. An amazing story that should have been the main focus of this article! Rebirth of a wonderful town and church. But Duba and his bunch want to make a quick few bucks telling lies to tourists. Well I say God Bless Stotesbury, Pastor Mark Hatfield and the whole community! You are still there! See You Soon!
helenatvrider

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Woody Duba and burning rock just need to go away, they do nothing for the people of this area but cause them problems. Hatfield & McCoys want to bes.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2010

i hate burning rock. i would always ride fourwheelers down there and now you have to spend all the money we dont have to ride its stupid. my papaw used to take me down there and let me drive like his daddy did with him . but we cant do that anymore because if you go on the trail you get fined .
ATVRider

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2010

i luve yuu wrote:
i hate burning rock. i would always ride fourwheelers down there and now you have to spend all the money we dont have to ride its stupid. my papaw used to take me down there and let me drive like his daddy did with him . but we cant do that anymore because if you go on the trail you get fined .
They can't fine you, all they will do is warn you. Your tax money has already paid for you to ride on the trail part of burning rock(beaver land), you go over there and you will never see a No Tresspassing sign. Someone ever writes you a ticket, believe me, it won't stick. Go ride and enjoy the trails you and your grandfather made.
Agreed

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2010

I think it's stupid that all the people from this town have road those trails almost all their lives & now they're asked to pay for it! But I do respect that they have brought money into the area, however idk where the money goes. I think if they wish to stay here they should respect the families in the community & surrounding areas!
electricianrb

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2010

Judged:

I would like to say that I like Burning Rock ATV Park. And the fee that they charge its called operating expenses.Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
just thinking

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

u can ride your ATV on ABSOLUTELY ANY trail you own... if u dont own the land the trail is located you MUST have permission... how would you like me riding my ATV through ur front lawn or garden...... it is sad for those of you with memories of your grandparents riding you on the trails... its hard to have any heritage taken away... but you cannot trespass even if there are no signs... its not ethical....and it is illegal.... i am not a fan of BR and never will be - i just understand the laws of this great nation that states noone can come on my property without my consent and i cannot go on your property without your consent... if you dont own it.. and it is not state property... you cant ride it... BTW - what tax dollars paid for it... Beaver Coal/ burning rock is NOT a nonprofit - therefore no tax dollars should have went toward that park... if you have info on that - by all means PLEASE post it- it would change everything including the gates they have up!!!!
atv rider

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

just thinking wrote:
u can ride your ATV on ABSOLUTELY ANY trail you own... if u dont own the land the trail is located you MUST have permission... how would you like me riding my ATV through ur front lawn or garden...... it is sad for those of you with memories of your grandparents riding you on the trails... its hard to have any heritage taken away... but you cannot trespass even if there are no signs... its not ethical....and it is illegal.... i am not a fan of BR and never will be - i just understand the laws of this great nation that states noone can come on my property without my consent and i cannot go on your property without your consent... if you dont own it.. and it is not state property... you cant ride it... BTW - what tax dollars paid for it... Beaver Coal/ burning rock is NOT a nonprofit - therefore no tax dollars should have went toward that park... if you have info on that - by all means PLEASE post it- it would change everything including the gates they have up!!!!
They got 165,000.00 two times for trail development, tax money, so you have already paid to ride on it. The worthless pinic area got no grant money so they can charge you to park or ride on it. You need to check the laws on riding on something for so many years and then being told to stop, beaver land had know problem with people riding there for 30 to 40 years, let people cut the trails for them and now want to charge you. And they don't have gates up blocking the trails or any no tresspassing signs, they know they would lose any kind of legal battle trying to stop you. Main Part, why would you want to give your money to someone who could care less about you, just want to get in your wallet.
atv rider

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

electricianrb wrote:
I would like to say that I like Burning Rock ATV Park. And the fee that they charge its called operating expenses.Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
What operating expense, The trails were rode on for thirty plus years before beaver land wanted to start hooking people.
electricianrb

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

I see a lot of improvements that have been made. And I can just imagine what their insurance rate is. These are a couple of things. That have cost a lot of money.
coal city rider

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2010

electricianrb wrote:
I see a lot of improvements that have been made. And I can just imagine what their insurance rate is. These are a couple of things. That have cost a lot of money.
Its clear you never rode there before. What used to be nice atv trails are now rutted out roads made by bulldozers. They have done more harm than good to the trails and the people of this area.
Virgil

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Butterfly wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen! I love and know many of the people of Stotesbury! I also have attended the Stotesbury Community Church, it is growing, thriving and has been restored and rebuilt. An amazing story that should have been the main focus of this article! Rebirth of a wonderful town and church. But Duba and his bunch want to make a quick few bucks telling lies to tourists. Well I say God Bless Stotesbury, Pastor Mark Hatfield and the whole community! You are still there! See You Soon!
I read this and it mad me so happy to hear such good news about the church. I was raised in stotesbury and have so many memories. God Bless all of you! Merry Christmas!
just saying

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

i have to say i am from this area to and i hate that they dont bother to come around and ask people around here what they think or how they feel all they are worried about is money....and as far as the new salem church i really dont think its right that they are allowed to ride atv by the church when they are trying to have service....dont get me wrong i love riding myself but damn show some respect for the church and the rest of the people in the area....
Sam Slick

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2011

Judged:

Why not talk to the people that run the atv park and try to work out a riding schedule different other than when church is in service? Have the Elders of the church to meet with these people. After all that would be considered church business. GOD BLESS
Sam Slick

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2011

I see that I made the last post. Hope everything got worked out OK for you folks. GOD BLESS
Bella Loca

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2011

Can someone please explain to me how this place is bringing any money to our town at all? I live within line of sight of Main Street, and I have to say, I don't notice anyone but locals frequenting our small businesses. By all appearances, all that's happened is that we may have a bit more traffic (gee, we needed that!), and a bunch of inconsiderate people blasting thru town on ATVs (both locals and visitors alike). All I see this accomplishing is getting the town sued when one of them gets hit. Or worse, hits a pedestrian on one of the residential streets where they ignore the posted speed limits. Our town is nothing to them but a playground on the way to GoMart.
pro atv

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2011

cry babies

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Josephine Discussions

Search the Josephine Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 48 min bacon hater 56,423
WV How To Open A Beer With A Banana 1 hr yezz 112
WV 2 dead in explosion at W.Va. chemical plant (Dec '10) 13 hr Jimmy Love 3,940
Justin Shrewsbury "Nathan" 14 hr girl in need 1
cemetry Tue drama seeker 2
Pittman Chief of Police Mon Dumb Blonde 2
opinions please Aug 16 need to know 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Josephine Jobs

•••