good places to eat in Joplin?

Posted in the Joplin Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
coolio

United States

#1 Jul 15, 2009
will be there for a ball tournament in a few days....what are some good local places to try? what about entertainment? is carousel park worth trying out?
tomsim

Fargo, ND

#2 Jul 25, 2009
Red hot and blue is an excellent place to eat! can handle big groups and food is great!
downtown

United States

#3 Jul 26, 2009
Cheddars is good, a lot of food and good prices.
mountain mama

United States

#4 Jul 27, 2009
Logan's Roadhouse, Golden Corral, and Rib Crib are some of the better restaurant choices in J-town
coolio

Higginsville, MO

#5 Jul 27, 2009
awesome--just read this, ironically, we did eat at cheddars before i read this again...yes-it was great!

oddly i note that there are few STRONG LOCAL places that were metioned. usually the locals steer you towards some locally owned-non chain restaurants. SURELY (yes i called u shirley) there has to b SEVERAL places in jop town that are local yocals with GREAT food!
downtown

United States

#6 Jul 28, 2009
Non-chain restaurants:

Try Crabby's (fine dining, on W. 7th), and Turtle Heads if you want good food and a bar type fun atmosphere, it's out on south main. There's Mucho Mexico in Webb City (no far at all), very good Mexican food. If you like barbecue Sultan of Smoke on W. 7th is good and if you like Chinese food, Oriental Express is very good, they only do delivery or carry out, it's one block or so east of Main on 20th street.

Shirley you'll find one of these that's to your liking. Yes, I really did call you Shirley!
mountain mama

United States

#7 Jul 28, 2009
Aren't many local places left in J-town that are good. Same goes for many places across the country.
downtown

United States

#8 Jul 28, 2009
I forgot about Hackett Hot Wings on Main, between 5th & 6th Streets. Good food and cool atmosphere. It's also locally owned.

As far as entertainment you might try 502 on 5th & Joplin, it's for a youngish crowd, a lot of T & A. If you like karaoke, you might try Murphay's on Main St., and the bar side of Kitchen Pass is good if you like some place you can sit and talk without having to yell over the music and they have pretty good food, if you like country mixed with a little bit of everything else (as it gets later in the evening), try Guitar Rock-N-Country bar on W. 7th.

Okay, my work here is done. Hope u have a good time while here in Jo Mo!
coolio

Higginsville, MO

#9 Jul 29, 2009
thanks all. mountain mama, are you crazy? locally owned restaurants abound everywhere. sure, they may be a tab bit harder to find but they are definitely out there.
mountain mama

Springfield, MO

#10 Jul 30, 2009
No, actually in this corner of MO, true locally owned restaurants owned by living, breathing local people you know by name are a rare breed these days. I travel a lot - outside of this area, I find many places but even far away, the locally owned restaurants are slowly dying from the chains.
downtown

United States

#11 Jul 30, 2009
Locally owned restaurants are being over shadowed by franchises, but there are actually several locally owned restaurants here in Joplin and the surrounding area.

Back in the day there wasn't a locally owned restaurant on every corner and there isn't now. It's not that they're dying out, they are just harder to spot because the franchises are practically on every corner.

There are some cool little restaurants tucked into the area small towns. I travel to the local towns on business and always find a great locally owned place to eat. Some are just simple little mom & pop diners, others are very contemorary.

There are still so many in Joplin that I didn't mention that are locally owned.

So I don't think the locally owned restaurants are dying out so much, it's that the franchises can affored all the bells and whistles to attract people and there are soooo many of them.
pierce city

United States

#12 Jul 30, 2009
here here
coolio

United States

#13 Jul 31, 2009
exacty why i came on here asking the locals - "where to eat?"

also, we went by carousel park, it didnt open until 2pm. note to carousel park, lotta ball teams want you open earlier than that. might want to check with the joplin sports authority on scheduling and such...in other words we cant spend any money there if u aint open.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#14 Jul 31, 2009
Ryan's and McD's on Range Line -
downtown

United States

#15 Jul 31, 2009
You are sooooooo funny Knowitall9.

Location hidden

#16 Jul 31, 2009
downtown wrote:
You are sooooooo funny Knowitall9.
There's a hundred restaurants in Joplin at the minimum - We ate at the Ryans once, but , I just had to hit McD's several times - Range Line Road is a long road with many many choices -
downtown

United States

#17 Jul 31, 2009
Coolio wanted to know about locally owned, non franchise restaurants. So naturally when you mentioned McDonalds and Ryans it seemed to be a good attempt at satire!

Location hidden

#18 Aug 1, 2009
As a matter of fact , I did notice quite a few smaller home style sit downs - I can't have spicey food , mushrooms, anchovies,olives,or garlic , so that pretty much limits me to McD's or (Ryan's) when I've got lots of cash - Missoury is the 2nd longest state I've ever driven across -
msbarney

Independence, KS

#19 Aug 1, 2009
Don't Forget the Red Onion.
downtown

United States

#20 Aug 2, 2009
Red Onion is good!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joplin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Understanding Honduran Men (Sep '07) Jan 26 valerieann 92
Jim Driscoll dog trainer Acton Maine Jan 21 Willow 1
ADT Security Jan 21 Peter Simmons 4
American Pit Bull Terrier ban in Webb City (Jul '14) Dec '14 me too 4
Dead Friend Selfie Dec '14 me 3
trevor dean clark (Oct '08) Nov '14 trevorclark 3
How Many Got Kilt in the Tornado (Jun '11) Oct '14 Redneck 58

Joplin News Video

Joplin Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Joplin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:06 am PST

Bleacher Report 5:06AM
Ranking Re-Sign Priorities for Chiefs
Bleacher Report 6:15 PM
Why the St. Louis Rams Must Draft Dorial Green-Beckham
NBC Sports 5:32 AM
Eric Berry "in good spirits" during visit from Chiefs brass
NBC Sports 8:37 AM
Nathaniel Hackett interviewing for Rams offensive coordinator on Thursday
Yahoo! Sports 8:12 AM
The lure of LA for the NFL - mirage or 'must do'?