The Adult Mini Drive In Outside Jopli...

The Adult Mini Drive In Outside Joplin Mo

Posted in the Joplin Forum

M- Kay

Lees Summit, MO

#1 Sep 16, 2009
Does anybody remember this place?
Or know anything about the people who owned/operated it?
It was before my time, closed in the 70's, Globe archives dont go back that far... Any help would be great, thought it would make a good school project for Sociology
I remember

Davenport, IA

#2 Sep 19, 2009
I remember driving past that as a kid. It was located on east 7th past Duquesne road. It was on the north side of the road. There is a vacant lot there now, try this link for more info.

http://www.drive-ins.com/pictures/motmini013
M- Kay

Lees Summit, MO

#3 Sep 19, 2009
I remember wrote:
I remember driving past that as a kid. It was located on east 7th past Duquesne road. It was on the north side of the road. There is a vacant lot there now, try this link for more info.
http://www.drive-ins.com/pictures/motmini013
Dont remember anything about the people who owned it or ran it?
I remember

Davenport, IA

#4 Sep 19, 2009
I searched for the names of the owners, but no luck yet. The web site I mentioned earlier is a good source for pictures and such for a project.

If you contact the Joplin library they probably
have some information on it as well as The Joplin Globe. They probably did some kind of article about it closing.

I'll try some more sources and post any information as I get it.
I remember

Davenport, IA

#5 Sep 19, 2009
Sorry, I just noticed your comment about the Globe, but try the library, they may have something.
M- Kay

Lees Summit, MO

#6 Sep 19, 2009
thanks sooo much..
i figured out that it opened in the spring of 71'
and i now know that the projection system they used was quite sophisticated for the time. it was developed by a family from roll missouri from what im told...
it seems it never created a big controversy, unlike some of the video and novelty stores that are now common in the joplin area
I remember

Davenport, IA

#7 Sep 19, 2009
We moved to Joplin when I was ten. I remember asking my mom why we never went to "that" drive in whenever we passed it. She never really said, but my friends said they played "dirty movies" there. I wasn't really sure what dirty movies meant, but I was always curious about the people that I saw driving their cars in there and why they were watching movies called dirty!

There were also some "massage parlors" in Joplin at that time. I think one was called Tokyo Sauna. It was also on east seventh west of the drive in. I remember hearing about the so called massage parlors as a kid. I guess Joplin was a naughty litle town back then!

This following book should be at the JPL.
Joplin : from mining town to urban center : an illustrated history / by G.K. Renner ; "Partners in progress" by Philip L. Jones.
Northridge, Calif.: Windsor Publications, 1985.

Also try the Joplin Historical Society, but I doubt the theater in question held any historical value note worthy to them.


Dpp

Safford, AZ

#8 Sep 26, 2009
I know all about this drive-in, it was called the Mini Arts. I know a person who ran it from 1970 to 1972. It was an interesting concept that used individual screens for each car and was laid out in a circle with the projection and concession in the center having the appeareance of a flying saucer. It used a low power AM trnasmitter to feed the audio form the movies to the veiwer's car radios. They even rented trnasitor radio's att eh gate for a nominal fee. I know much more about this place to include the original owners. Just ask here.
M- Kay

Lees Summit, MO

#9 Sep 26, 2009
so who owned it or ran it?
hclowkey

Indian Trail, NC

#10 Aug 26, 2010
It was there and I visited as late as 82
LED

Strafford, MO

#11 Aug 30, 2010
I live in a house just down from the Mini Arts drive in and have recently been told that it was the tokyo sauna! I am looking for more information on this.
Dik Holiday

United States

#12 Dec 30, 2010
Wow. It was the wild 70's for me. The vets called be a Hippie but I was a Rocker. At the mini drive in there was lots of emotive decontroling methods in the frisbees and naked devorcee amongst the guys. I think I even walked up to the control center. Maybe thatz were the can was. Don't remember much of the classics flick'n on the mini screen. It was just a place to drink and be for a while. Between Nina's, The Delta Dawn, Big Top, Tokyo Sauna (one of the most beautiful girls), Wild Cat Park, and the other three dozen hot spots it was just a wild freak'n good ass time.
The theatre in 2008

Ventura, CA

#13 Mar 5, 2011
Here are pictures of this theatre taken in 2008.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26957056 @N02/sets/72157626080625437/
Hedge Hog

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Jun 24, 2011
It actually closed sometime in the 1980's. I knew someone who worked there and we used to hang out with the owners (a local couple)at parties.
Love it

Bisbee, AZ

#15 May 12, 2012
I used to hang out there a few years ago. The property is for sale now. I really wish that someone would reopen it or use it for a "normal" drive in now. The property is great and not well maintained. The young people just go there to party now.
kyuriuss

Oklahoma City, OK

#16 Nov 12, 2012
Dpp wrote:
I know all about this drive-in, it was called the Mini Arts. I know a person who ran it from 1970 to 1972. It was an interesting concept that used individual screens for each car and was laid out in a circle with the projection and concession in the center having the appeareance of a flying saucer. It used a low power AM trnasmitter to feed the audio form the movies to the veiwer's car radios. They even rented trnasitor radio's att eh gate for a nominal fee. I know much more about this place to include the original owners. Just ask here.
////would you happen to know if there is still "massage parlor" close to the drive in site? Seemed like it was right across the street (i was there in '84) my email is ncoptions84@yahoo.com
Dan Daly

Joplin, MO

#17 Mar 24, 2014
M- Kay wrote:
Does anybody remember this place?
Or know anything about the people who owned/operated it?
It was before my time, closed in the 70's, Globe archives dont go back that far... Any help would be great, thought it would make a good school project for Sociology
Actually, it didn't close in the 70's. I took my wife there shortly after we were married in 1983. I remember thinking it was pretty cool from a technical perspective. Each care parked in its place in a big ring and pulled up to its own private screen roughly big enough to fill the windshield. the movie was projected from a panoramic mirror array in the center of the circle.(Thus some of the more whimsical nick-names assigned to the place.) The sound was narrow-cast over a low power radio signal and received through the car radio. the place showed only hard-core porno films and was strategically, situated across 7th st. from some Asian "massage" parlor that could ensure every movie-going experience had a "happy ending". I was a young Marine Corporal when I went there with the Wife and many years later, after I had separated from the Marine Corps, I noticed it closed. That's the best I can remember. There is a picture of the round projection house on Facebook under joplin mini drive-in historical page if you want to see it.
JMH

Prescott Valley, AZ

#18 Apr 20, 2018
Dan Daly wrote:
<quoted text>

Actually, it didn't close in the 70's. I took my wife there shortly after we were married in 1983. I remember thinking it was pretty cool from a technical perspective. Each care parked in its place in a big ring and pulled up to its own private screen roughly big enough to fill the windshield. the movie was projected from a panoramic mirror array in the center of the circle.(Thus some of the more whimsical nick-names assigned to the place.) The sound was narrow-cast over a low power radio signal and received through the car radio. the place showed only hard-core porno films and was strategically, situated across 7th st. from some Asian "massage" parlor that could ensure every movie-going experience had a "happy ending". I was a young Marine Corporal when I went there with the Wife and many years later, after I had separated from the Marine Corps, I noticed it closed. That's the best I can remember. There is a picture of the round projection house on Facebook under joplin mini drive-in historical page if you want to see it.
I actually worked there one summer in 1980. Outside yard work.
The managerís kid was a friend of mine. The technology was interesting as mentioned and each stall had a private screen. They were framed with a plastic material which projected the image from back, the round spaceship looking building. The projector room was really cool with all the mirrors smaller than the palm of your hand to protect the movie. Although I never watched a movie, there were sections cut out and laying in a box. It seems there were some regulations of what could not be shown, so the film was spliced. Of course there were rumors the mafia from KC actually ran the site but who knows. I just know I was paid to do some yard work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joplin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prostitution and Drugs Downtown ( REPENT JOPLIN... May 31 Dirt diggler 2
Crooked Cops And Judges REPENT repent May '18 repent now 1
UHaul taking over Mays building May '18 Schultz 1
TRUMP is a CHILD RAPIST (May '17) May '18 Ringwind 22
Watch out for a man named Corky (Frank) Ames May '18 sister 1
News 3 SW Mo Men Indicted In Child Pornography Cases (May '15) Apr '18 DeDominicis 16
Review: Hedman Chiropractic LLC (Nov '17) Apr '18 Shannon ranz 2

Joplin Jobs

Personal Finance

Joplin Mortgages