Lee County teacher charged with assau...

Lee County teacher charged with assaulting student

Posted in the Jonesville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Oh My

Radford, VA

#1 Oct 15, 2009
EWING, Va.— A high school teacher in Lee County has been charged with assaulting his student during school, according to law enforcement.

Jack Spiers, who teaches Spanish at Thomas Walker High School (TWHS) in Ewing, Va. was charged by the Lee County Sheriff’s Department on Sept. 24 for the assault and battery of a student, according to Lee County Sheriff Gary Parsons.

More in Thursday's edition of the Daily News...
Oh My

Radford, VA

#2 Oct 15, 2009
The above was Middlesboro daily news
the scoop

United States

#3 Oct 15, 2009
OMG.... what happened?
Tomorrow

Van Wert, OH

#4 Oct 15, 2009
Concerned Citizen

Pennington Gap, VA

#5 Oct 16, 2009
Great Job! I praise law enforcement for this!
If this is true, then he needs to be prosecuted.
NOW, Hopefully the judge will give the right sentence. Hopefully the prosecutor will not allow such a small time guilty plea.

Keep us posted
Concerned Citizen

Pennington Gap, VA

#6 Oct 16, 2009
But read the rest!

"The alleged assault was reported to the Lee County Sheriff’s Office, which declined to take out a warrant on Spiers"

Very Sad...

Disregard my last post
Concerned Citizen

Pennington Gap, VA

#7 Oct 16, 2009
“We didn’t feel that justified us seeking warrants, but we told the parents they certainly have a right to go to the magistrate and seek warrants themselves. Which they did, and they got a warrant.”

NOW PARENTS... CITIZENS... AND EVERYONE ELSE IN THIS COUNTY...

THIS!!!!!!!!!!
IS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT...
Concerned Citizen

Pennington Gap, VA

#8 Oct 16, 2009
Administrators at TWHS could not be reached for comment, but Lee County Director of Secondary Education Rod Griffith told the Middlesboro Daily News that he was not aware of the charges pending against Spiers.

The school board has no idea about it! Seems like dejavu! they have no idea about ANYTHING that goes on in their school system!
Truth

Richmond, VA

#9 Oct 16, 2009
Mr. Spiers is a gentle and kind man. He wouldn't harm a fly. These allegations are FALSE.

This boy's parents are retarded. The same boy got his butt kicked last year and half the school was at the store where it happened. They all recorded it on their cell phones and sent it around for everyone to see. Why didnt the parents press charges when there was videotape evidence of their son getting beat down like a dog by a guy twice his size? No, not a word from the parents on that one, but then they will sure go take out a warrant on a small, timid elderly Mr. Rogers type teacher that doesnt even have the boy in class!? Thats STUPID. the boy approached Mr. Spiers in anger because Mr. Spiers hurt a girls feelings. oh wahhh the boy went into mr. spiers room and told him "you are going to apologize to my girlfriend." blah blah blah there was NO ASSAULT. the boy has a bad temper and thinks because he has got picked on and beat up so much all through school that he can play the victim after throwing a temper tantrum himself!!

Thats why the sheriff's office didnt want to do anything about it--because it is a false charge and STUPID!! Mr. Spiers is innocent!

I hope Mr. Spiers socks them all with a counter suit for defamation!
Concerned Citizen

Pennington Gap, VA

#10 Oct 16, 2009
what if the student grabbed his arm!
It would be over then!
Student susended, EVERYTHING!

Parsons would have been all over the student!
Geez

Radford, VA

#11 Oct 16, 2009
Thanks for sharing the truth with us. Truth.
hey

Church Hill, VA

#12 Oct 17, 2009
i knew him as a teacher and he is a great man!!!!
needs disciplined

Radford, VA

#13 Oct 17, 2009
Sounds to me as if this "child" needed to be bent over the desk and his behind "assaulted" with a paddle and then put in front of the class facing into a corner. Maybe that would help him to learn some manners and some respect which is lacking in too many children these days. Some people either can't, don't or won't discipline their kids and cry assault or abuse when someone else says anything to them.
I think the paddle needs to be back in the classroom but thanks to all the whining, it will never happen. ISS and OSS is a joke for discipline because that just gets the kids out of class which is what most want anyway. Before long the kids will be running the schools because they almost are now.
Sad Example

United States

#14 Oct 17, 2009
The warrant taken on Mr. Spiers is a sad example of many frightening trends.

I would be ashamed to take out a warrant on someone for "touching" me, regardless of who it was or how much I hated them. Kudos to the sheriff's office for NOT acting on the report. Shame on the parents who went through the trouble of taking a warrant on behalf of their son. I would be humiliated if I were the young man.

This student has had MANY physical altercations over the years, while Mr. Spiers would never resort to violence, never. Besides, Mr. Spiers probably weighs about 130 pounds tops! He's past retirement age and much smaller than most students. He is also a Christian minister who preaches peace and kindness.

Secondly, this student approached Mr. Spiers in anger. He doesn't even have Mr. Spiers in class! What arrogance for this young man to go confront a teacher over a petty issue that doesn't even directly involve him ("Mr. Spiers hurt my girlfriend's feelings"). I've seen this boy lose his temper before. He acts like a pit bull that's going to tear something apart. I bet Mr. Spiers almost peed himself. This isn't defending your girlfriend's honor, this is being a law-suit happy finger-pointer. How cowardly and embarrassing!

The ten commandements of the mentality gathering momentum:

1. Blame someone else for your problems.

2. When you make a mistake, point out other
people's mistakes to shift the focus.

3. If someone makes you angry, do whatever it
takes to get them back. Revenge is sweet and
there's no such thing as a low blow.

4. It doesn't matter if you are right or wrong as
long as you have people on your side.

5. Attack the wounded. They are already in
trouble, so it should be easy to take them out.

6. Do whatever it takes to impress those whose
opinions you respect. If that means being a
bully, a punk, a liar...so be it.

7. Play the victim. Lower your head and look sad.
Cry if you can muster the tears. People love
a good sob story. Best of all, it doesn't even
have to be true.

8. Rabble-rouse. Make up believable lies about
those you dislike. Create stories about people
and then throw them out to the masses as "what
I heard." Most people will believe it.

9. Never forget that disrespect, insults, and lies
are protected under freedom of speech. You have
the right to call people names and tell blatant
lies. Preach your personal opinions as the
gospel and no one will know the difference.

10. Believe only the worst you hear and think the
worst about everyone you know.
Concerned Citizen

Pennington Gap, VA

#15 Oct 17, 2009
It is a shame! If the student would have grabbed the teacher's arm it would have been OVER!
It is simply sad that the teacher can grab his arm, and then the student can't grab the teachers arm!

The magistrate seemed like it was enough to get the warrant so GOOD JOB! NOW LETS PROSECUTE THE MAN WHO Assaulted this high school student! If He really did. A teacher has no place and no right to put his hands on any student! A teacher also has no right to hurt a girl's feelings. I praise the boy for sticking up for his girlfriend!
I really do! Teachers need to know that you can not put your hand on a student!

If the system lets this teacher go, then it will send a message to all other teachers that it is going to be okay to put their hands on students!
I hope someone is reading this who has the power!

IF YOU ARE A TEACHER, YOU CAN NOT PUT YOUR HANDS ON A STUDENT!!! PERIOD!!!
Ha Ha Ha

United States

#16 Oct 17, 2009
Concerned Citizen wrote:
It is a shame! If the student would have grabbed the teacher's arm it would have been OVER!
It is simply sad that the teacher can grab his arm, and then the student can't grab the teachers arm!
The magistrate seemed like it was enough to get the warrant so GOOD JOB! NOW LETS PROSECUTE THE MAN WHO Assaulted this high school student! If He really did. A teacher has no place and no right to put his hands on any student! A teacher also has no right to hurt a girl's feelings. I praise the boy for sticking up for his girlfriend!
I really do! Teachers need to know that you can not put your hand on a student!
If the system lets this teacher go, then it will send a message to all other teachers that it is going to be okay to put their hands on students!
I hope someone is reading this who has the power!
IF YOU ARE A TEACHER, YOU CAN NOT PUT YOUR HANDS ON A STUDENT!!! PERIOD!!!
Remember teachers, especially thoses that have to travel outside in the weather with your students, if they fall and hurt themselves don't touch them keep your hands off. If you are a P.E. teacher and they sprain an ankle or break something, don't touch them keep your hands off. Or if you are a teacher that must cross the road with their students and a car is coming, don't touch them keep your hands off. What about the little ones that can't get up and down the bus steps on their own, don't touch them keep your hands off. Even those students that get out of the car kicking and sreaming because they don't want to come to school, don't touch them keep your hands off. If two students are fighting whatever you do don't step between them and try to break it up because YOU CAN NOT PUT YOUR HANDS ON A STUDENT!!! PERIOD!!!

Isn't that right Concerned Citizen.

LOL
moron

United States

#17 Oct 17, 2009
can't touch a student no matter what, huh? what if a student gets choked or needs cpr or an insulin shot, or needs bleeding stopped? then you would be the first to complain that a teacher didnt help when they should have. you cant have it both ways!

i dont know exactly where people have got the idea that a teacher cannot for any reason touch a student no matter what, but that is NOT a law or county rule at all. Yeah, there's no corporal punishment, but brief, light contact with a student, say on the hand, arm, or shoulder, happens every single day in the schools and it is NOT illegal or even unethical. and its stupid to argue like it is! sure, its RECOMMENDED a teacher not make physical contact with students because of things like this and morons like concerned citizen blowing it out of proportion, but filing assault charges for touching a student? overboard and ridiculous.

well-- you'll see. betcha ten bucks it gets thrown out of court.
what a moron

United States

#18 Oct 17, 2009
"Concerned Citizen" wrote:

It is a shame! If the student would have grabbed the teacher's arm it would have been OVER! It is simply sad that the teacher can grab his arm, and then the student can't grab the teachers arm!"

**Here's a total moron acting like children and adults should all abide by the same expectations and students should not be subordinate to teachers. Dumb ass. Every person must be a subordinate to another person, whether it be parent, teacher, or boss. Like a parent and boss, a teacher should discipline and guide the student! The student should not discipline the teacher! Duh.

"Concerned Citizen" wrote:

"A teacher also has no right to hurt a girl's feelings. I praise the boy for sticking up for his girlfriend!"

**You have GOT to be a blooming idiot to think that a teacher can always prevent hurting a student's feelings. Have you ever even worked with kids? Do you have children? Anyone should know that kids get upset sometimes over the smallest issues. Sometimes they get angry and sad for no reason at all! Teenage hormones and drama! Then those who havent been taught any better at home will take out their bad moods on those around them, including their teachers, and once in a while they get shut down by someone who wont take their crap. Then all of a sudden, "poooooor me, my feelings are hurt." Well if you can dish it you better be able to take it too!
Then losers like you agree that teachers should be the ones following all these unwritten rules and show all the respect and walk on eggshells with students but the kids can say and do anything they want! Logic is being turned upside down.
And to praise some kid who is just trying to impress his girlfriend by verbally assaulting a teacher she dislikes? You've got to be kidding. This is not a kid standing up for a good cause or for what is right, its a kid throwing a childish temper tantrum. Why don't you get the full story before you comment?
LC_Mom

Nashville, TN

#19 Oct 17, 2009
I have to agree with most of the post above. This was a very stupid thing to be done to a really good man. CC give it a rest.
Green Goat

United States

#20 Oct 18, 2009
Anymore public school is a baby sitting service.
Teachers cannot teach the students that want to learn because of the disruptive ones.
Teachers cannot do anything to these students or even raise their voice to correct them.
There are no consequences for ones actions at school or in the community. The only thing the school has is in-school or out of school suspension. If the judicial system prosecutes anyone; most or the entire sentence is suspended. These disruptive students go on to reproduce, having more of the same. It is a sad situation and will probably not get any better. With that said, have a super day!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lee High lunch menu Thu Rainey Day 4
Can't believe Richard is still over pool after ... (May '14) Thu Rainey Day 15
Wreck Apr 25 Same thing 2
election 2016 (Oct '16) Apr 20 Informed 136
Moonshiners Apr 18 Hoosier boy 7
If you don't believe in GOD, why do you celebra... (Dec '11) Apr 16 baddie 109
shoutin frank clark (Jan '14) Apr 12 Hoosier boy 19

Jonesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance