of 6
Next Last
SAD

Natural Bridge, VA

#1 Mar 5, 2010
Another Shooting in Lee County, VA

By Sara Diamond WJHL
Published: March 5, 2010

The latest shooting in Lee County, Virginia happened at the intersection of State Routes 640 and 643 near the Long Hollow section of Lee County. Sheriff Gary Parsons says they received a call around 2:30pm Friday. When they arrived on scene, they found 22 year old Steven Rutledge, Jr and his wife, 33 year old Tracie Waynette Rutledge, both of Jonesville in their Dodge pickup.

Steven Rutledge, Jr was shot one time in the lower body and was pronounced dead at the scene. Tracie Rutledge was shot in the head, but still alive. She was airlifted to Holston Valley Medical Center where she is in very serious condition.

Sheriff Parsons says at least five shots from a .44 caliber pistol were fired into the vehicle.

Three men are charged in the shooting. 40 year old Larry Smith of Jonesville is charged with first degree murder. 44 year old Johnny Roberts of Jonesville and 44 year old Timothy James Osborne of Pennington are both charged with aiding and abetting of murder. All three are in the Duffield Regional Jail and will be arraigned Monday morning in Lee County General District Court.

Parsons says evidence indicates all three men were at the scene, with Smith firing the shots.

Investigators are still working on a motive. Stay with 11 Connects to find out more details as they become available.
cant believe this

Church Hill, VA

#2 Mar 5, 2010
does anyone know what the reasoning was behind the shooting? what is going on with lee county these days?
Wake Up Smell The Coffee

Blue Ridge, VA

#3 Mar 6, 2010
What causes lots of the problems in Lee County Va is drugs,no jobs,less money to provide for families then a failing economy....
Sue

Roanoke, VA

#4 Mar 6, 2010
Wake Up Smell The Coffee wrote:
What causes lots of the problems in Lee County Va is drugs,no jobs,less money to provide for families then a failing economy....
And nobody wants to go out and look for a job! Even if that meant moving away from Lee County. And why should they, the government is providing them with money to buy groceries, healthcare, etc. My parents would have kicked me from here to eternity if I would have ever sat around and done absolutely nothing.
Toni

Cleveland, OH

#5 Mar 8, 2010
I love you uncle Johnny. Everything will be o.k. since you did nothing.
hey

Blacksburg, VA

#6 Mar 8, 2010
WAKE UP TONI uncle johnny is going to the big house..dont involve yourself with drugs and nacs and you dont go to prison..uncle johnny was there so he will serve time A and B is a crime
Toni

Cleveland, OH

#7 Mar 8, 2010
WHATEVER LOSER
My uncle is a good person, as I am sure you all know, and he will be out in hopefully no time :)
hmmm

Natural Bridge, VA

#8 Mar 8, 2010
Johnny is up for 1st degree murder now. Go read the court records. He's still in custody and will be back in court on the 24th!
Toni

Cleveland, OH

#9 Mar 8, 2010
hmmm wrote:
Johnny is up for 1st degree murder now. Go read the court records. He's still in custody and will be back in court on the 24th!
you should know what you are talking about before you post incorrect information da, da. he has not been charged with first degree murder da, da.
why

Blacksburg, VA

#10 Mar 9, 2010
the drugs made him do it..i think he smoked a marijuana cigarette before shooting 5 bullets
unknown

Louisville, KY

#11 Mar 10, 2010
This is very sad. The other two men, in the wrong place at the wrong time, they both got scared and took off. They did eventually turned themselves in, yes they shouldnt of waited so long but they freaked out. They should of at least called to get the man help that was shot, and the woman who WAS NOT SHOT!!!!!! she was hit by flying glass.
unknown

Louisville, KY

#12 Mar 10, 2010
Hey Toni may God be with Johnny. Tim is my cousin, I have not seen him for MANY years, but i do think they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Fact or Fiction

Richmond, VA

#13 Mar 16, 2010
It's amazing to me as the facts start coming out and it starts looking more like maybe it was self defense, the comments in this blog just disappear.
I wrote yesterday to come back today and find that the 138 comments that were here yesterday have disappeared. Is it that the local Sheriff's Office does not want the truth to come out? I still say whether or not Steven wore a wire that day or in the past does not justify him being killed. BUT....
IF Steven did fire a gun at Larry 1st it is not murder. IF Steven pulled away in his truck as Larry shot back, it is very possible that Larry or his friends did not know he had been hit. IF Larry and his friends went to the Sheriff's Office after the shooting occurred, maybe they didn't realize he had been shot and were just trying to get away without being shot themselves. IF the wife was shot in the head, she would not have gotten out of the hospital the following day, could it be she was cut with breaking glass instead of a bullet?
Why would they report just enough to make this sound like a cold blooded murder, why would they report the wife being shot in the head, why would they make it sound as if they had to hunt the suspects down, why would they hide the fact that the victim fired a gun at the suspect? WHY? I bet this blog disappears again.
hmmm

Natural Bridge, VA

#14 Mar 16, 2010
You're on the wrong blog!!!'The Steven Rutledge and wife shot' is the one you posted on yesterday. It appears to be gone today.
Fact or Fiction

Richmond, VA

#15 Mar 16, 2010
Thank You, I know it's no longer there.
Fact or Fiction

Richmond, VA

#16 Mar 16, 2010
I just went to the "Steven Rutledge and Wife shot" blog and all 138 comments are gone except mine now. Even mine was gone earlier. Why do you think they erased all of the other comments? They were just other people's opinions, which they have a right to express. I'm not pulling for anyone, I'm pulling for the truth, which seems to be hard to come by for some reason. Whatever the outcome, I am sorry that someone lost their life and the family lost their loved one.
hmmm

Natural Bridge, VA

#17 Mar 16, 2010
A certain person threatened someone who was going to be at the court. The police probably pulled it for evidence. I still can't find that blog. Could you comment on it and it might bring it back to the top. Ty!
hmmm

Natural Bridge, VA

#18 Mar 16, 2010
I hadn't heard that the victim shot at the other guy first. If this is true they should at least be out on bond. Where did you hear this? I have read so much that I don't know what the truth is. There are 4 people's stories in this case and I really hope the truth comes out soon!
hmmm

Natural Bridge, VA

#19 Mar 16, 2010
I just checked the court records again. They are all 3 up for 1st dgree murder and attempted 1st degree murder. They have another bond hearing tomorrow the 17th.
Hoping

Louisville, KY

#20 Mar 17, 2010
I hope they take this and many other hurtful, spiteful threads down. People are hurting and many of you don't care, you just add to it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I Still Love You! (Jan '14) Sun Her Hate 39
Looking for Calton,J.R (Nov '17) May 17 Living on a prayer 3
Gay Jonesville (Oct '10) May 13 Allen7 105
Black Double Standard (Dec '14) May 10 Ugly 8
Need Dentist Apr '18 Slamb1959 1
Where's the cheapest...? (Apr '06) Mar '18 One way 4
the music thread (Mar '12) Mar '18 Gordon Lightfoot 37

Jonesville Jobs

Personal Finance

Jonesville Mortgages