Osama-Obama Sign Removed From Church

Osama-Obama Sign Removed From Church

There are 949 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Apr 22, 2008, titled Osama-Obama Sign Removed From Church. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

A sign that caused heated arguments outside of a church in Jonesville has been taken down.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 48
Next Last

“We Go Play Hoop”

Since: Jul 07

Falls Church, VA

#956 Apr 30, 2008
Pope wrote:
<quoted text>
What is BLACK Theology? If you don't want to vote for the man don't vote for him ! I bet you voted for old GW and look at where we are now! This is America for God sake...Are you worried about your president being black or your children having food to eat! Your president being black or your son or daughter that may only achive a high school diploma being able to get a gob that pays enough to support their family....The truth is we dont have any where else to turn Mcain will do the same thing bush has done! Clinton staterd the ball rolling in the first place, and do you think America wil be accepted as a world power with a female at the helm hell no! the us will be veiwed as weak and we will be at war before she can have her first press conference. we have to take a chance on this Chance stuff......I like my money i'm from SC pin cushon in the poor back woods. I didn't work this hard to go back to where i came from because of a fools bigotry and greed poor is poor whether your black white or illegal!
Uhhhh, Black Liberation Theology is the principle on which TUCC was founded... It's a real theologian belief system that seks to differentiate a "White Christianity" from a "Black Christianity".

Black liberation theology focuses on liberation from oppressions (based on Luke's accuonts of Jesus). In principle (at it's inception in the midst of civil rights travesties), it had it's merits. It gave blacks the identity with Jesus that they were not able to see in the "white church", but it never clearly defined what exactly that liberation and oppression are in the 21st century. Black men, women, and children are afforded all fo the same rights and privileges as white men, women, and children - so it's ideals are historic (at best); and has always maintained more of a political structure than one based on theology.

It serves the purpose of maintaining a racial divide by allowing people like Rev. Wright or his successor, Rev. Moss, the opportunity to stand on a pulpit and convince their congregations that they are oppressed and that they have absolutely no chance for anything unless they keep a distance from whitey. The doctrine serves to alienate and segregate, and to live live with a harbored deep resentment for all of white man for their own shortcomings.

In short, it maintains the captivity of blacks by brainwashing them into believing that captivity still exists to this day... If a truly liberated black mind (and many do exist) stepped forward and brought down the church in freeing all black minds, to see a world of people (and not just color), to accept differences and thrive off of the diversity... well then, what purpose would Rev. Wright (or any other Black Liberation Theologian) serve?!? None, because nobody would feel a NEED to hear that hate.
Pope

El Paso, TX

#957 Apr 30, 2008
Spot On wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhhhh, Black Liberation Theology is the principle on which TUCC was founded... It's a real theologian belief system that seks to differentiate a "White Christianity" from a "Black Christianity".
Black liberation theology focuses on liberation from oppressions (based on Luke's accuonts of Jesus). In principle (at it's inception in the midst of civil rights travesties), it had it's merits. It gave blacks the identity with Jesus that they were not able to see in the "white church", but it never clearly defined what exactly that liberation and oppression are in the 21st century. Black men, women, and children are afforded all fo the same rights and privileges as white men, women, and children - so it's ideals are historic (at best); and has always maintained more of a political structure than one based on theology.
It serves the purpose of maintaining a racial divide by allowing people like Rev. Wright or his successor, Rev. Moss, the opportunity to stand on a pulpit and convince their congregations that they are oppressed and that they have absolutely no chance for anything unless they keep a distance from whitey. The doctrine serves to alienate and segregate, and to live live with a harbored deep resentment for all of white man for their own shortcomings.
In short, it maintains the captivity of blacks by brainwashing them into believing that captivity still exists to this day... If a truly liberated black mind (and many do exist) stepped forward and brought down the church in freeing all black minds, to see a world of people (and not just color), to accept differences and thrive off of the diversity... well then, what purpose would Rev. Wright (or any other Black Liberation Theologian) serve?!? None, because nobody would feel a NEED to hear that hate.
Dumb question but i have to ask...Are all chuches with prodominately black congrigations seen in this light by people of diferent ethnicities? I ask because my brother is a preacher and he never has sermons based on the white man keeping us black folk down, here in elpaso my preacher is a fat lil white man and most of the people are old white people and they never talk about the racial divide. I guess I'm one in a million

“We Go Play Hoop”

Since: Jul 07

Falls Church, VA

#958 Apr 30, 2008
Pope wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumb question but i have to ask...Are all chuches with prodominately black congrigations seen in this light by people of diferent ethnicities? I ask because my brother is a preacher and he never has sermons based on the white man keeping us black folk down, here in elpaso my preacher is a fat lil white man and most of the people are old white people and they never talk about the racial divide. I guess I'm one in a million
It's not a dumb question. I would say ignorant people might see predominantly black churches in this light because this kind of divisive message is all that hits the mainstream media airwaves. Equally ignorant black people assume if a congregation is all white, they must have a white agenda too... The ignorance is just as color-blind as the racism being decried.

I'd guess that your brother and his church don't subscribe to black liberation theology (It's a very specific doctrine like I talked about earlier)... Not all predominantly black churches do. I was a military brat and served in the military myself. I have been all over the world. I have been in predominantly black churches and predominantly white ones as a result of my travels. I will tell you that there have been some churches as the majority and minority that I have felt unwelcome in and welcome in. It is difficult (as a white man) to feel welcome in a church that uses Black Liberation Theology as its foundation.(Just like it's hard for a black man to find comfort in walking into a white church that adopts KKK values.) BUT, I have also been the minority in some churches that welcomed me with love and open arms... And let me tell you something, those people got some praise directed the right way, they wore me out with all of that praise, singing, and dancing in the aisles! Absolutely incredible worship experience!

Be blessed and continue to see past the lines of racial divide and if you find yourself in a church that preaches based on black liberation theology - make a note of the tone you feel, the message you hear, and then turn around and walk away - because they aren't preaching that message on your behalf.

“We Go Play Hoop”

Since: Jul 07

Falls Church, VA

#959 Apr 30, 2008
Pope wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumb question but i have to ask...Are all chuches with prodominately black congrigations seen in this light by people of diferent ethnicities? I ask because my brother is a preacher and he never has sermons based on the white man keeping us black folk down, here in elpaso my preacher is a fat lil white man and most of the people are old white people and they never talk about the racial divide. I guess I'm one in a million
Oh and one other thing. Rev. Wright's church (Obama's church) very clearly states on their website that they are founded on the principles of Black Liberation Theology, so it's not a perception - it's a fact.( www.tucc.org )

Rev. Wright's talking points:
"The vision statement of Trinity United Church of Christ is based upon the systematized liberation theology that started in 1969 with the publication of Dr. James Cone’s book, Black Power and Black Theology."
Pope

El Paso, TX

#960 Apr 30, 2008
Spot On wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a dumb question. I would say ignorant people might see predominantly black churches in this light because this kind of divisive message is all that hits the mainstream media airwaves. Equally ignorant black people assume if a congregation is all white, they must have a white agenda too... The ignorance is just as color-blind as the racism being decried.
I'd guess that your brother and his church don't subscribe to black liberation theology (It's a very specific doctrine like I talked about earlier)... Not all predominantly black churches do. I was a military brat and served in the military myself. I have been all over the world. I have been in predominantly black churches and predominantly white ones as a result of my travels. I will tell you that there have been some churches as the majority and minority that I have felt unwelcome in and welcome in. It is difficult (as a white man) to feel welcome in a church that uses Black Liberation Theology as its foundation.(Just like it's hard for a black man to find comfort in walking into a white church that adopts KKK values.) BUT, I have also been the minority in some churches that welcomed me with love and open arms... And let me tell you something, those people got some praise directed the right way, they wore me out with all of that praise, singing, and dancing in the aisles! Absolutely incredible worship experience!
Be blessed and continue to see past the lines of racial divide and if you find yourself in a church that preaches based on black liberation theology - make a note of the tone you feel, the message you hear, and then turn around and walk away - because they aren't preaching that message on your behalf.
That hit the spot spot on.! I dong think the Lord cares what color we are. I dont care what color he is...as long as i get to see him.
Pope

El Paso, TX

#961 Apr 30, 2008
Spot On wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and one other thing. Rev. Wright's church (Obama's church) very clearly states on their website that they are founded on the principles of Black Liberation Theology, so it's not a perception - it's a fact.( www.tucc.org )
Rev. Wright's talking points:
"The vision statement of Trinity United Church of Christ is based upon the systematized liberation theology that started in 1969 with the publication of Dr. James Cone’s book, Black Power and Black Theology."
I really dont care about the black power thing. I served too me and all of the Joes i served with were green.
I dont care if captain kangaroo becomes president as long as my dollars begin to mean someting again.
Okie Dokie

Columbia, SC

#962 Apr 30, 2008
scgirl wrote:
<quoted text>
You can honestly say that you didn't think anything racist of it? I bet the mindset of these so-called Christians is that Muslim = anyone with dark skin. Read between the lines- this church knew that this sign would cause a stir and it wasn't in the name of the holy spirit either.
I am white and I am Christian ... and like I said before I only thought of the Muslim aspect due to the name. So please get your head out of the gutter and stop thinking everything is racist when it simply has nothing to do with it. I dont mind if we have a black as president nor a woman, but someone with a Muslim name ... no thanks, I am not ready for that (especially after 911). No, I dont think that everyone with a Muslim name is a terriost ... but you cant be too careful these days of people who change their name for their religion ... after all the stuff that the whites and blacks have done after they changed their name.
Crispus Attucks

United States

#963 May 1, 2008
Okie Dokie wrote:
<quoted text>
I am white and I am Christian ... and like I said before I only thought of the Muslim aspect due to the name. So please get your head out of the gutter and stop thinking everything is racist when it simply has nothing to do with it. I dont mind if we have a black as president nor a woman, but someone with a Muslim name ... no thanks, I am not ready for that (especially after 911). No, I dont think that everyone with a Muslim name is a terriost ... but you cant be too careful these days of people who change their name for their religion ... after all the stuff that the whites and blacks have done after they changed their name.
So what exactly IS a Muslim Name? I mean Obama is his family name and his father was from Kenya...At my last check only 20% of Kenyans are Muslim and over 60% are Christian (Catholic and protestant)
I know folks with Iranian heritage who were born here and raised Christian and carry "muslim" names...So what is the deal?
Barack Obama hasn't changed his name...In fact he has always been Barack or Barry OBAMA.
Okie Dokie

Columbia, SC

#964 May 1, 2008
Crispus Attucks wrote:
<quoted text>
So what exactly IS a Muslim Name? I mean Obama is his family name and his father was from Kenya...At my last check only 20% of Kenyans are Muslim and over 60% are Christian (Catholic and protestant)
I know folks with Iranian heritage who were born here and raised Christian and carry "muslim" names...So what is the deal?
Barack Obama hasn't changed his name...In fact he has always been Barack or Barry OBAMA.
Im saying it SOUNDS like a MUSLIM name (His last name, and last I checked - his FATHER was raised muslim). Secondly, I know that he didnt change his name ... it SOUNDS like a MUSLIM name (due to the fact that he was given his fathers first, middle {which by the way his father had added due to his Islamic religon}, and last name). And though your friends or acquantances may have muslim names but are Christian, I am still iffy on that part. I have my opinion on things and you have yours. I have my likes and dislikes, and you have yours. Our opinions on things maybe different, but thats what makes us ... us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 48
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Midnight Sun (Mar '10) Jun 20 Yeah Right 16
Spartanburg Music Selection (Aug '12) Jun 4 Musikologist 15
News Nikki Haley Supports Spartanburg "Resettlement"... (Apr '15) Jun 3 davy 46
Female fwb wanted Jun 1 Maintance man 1
Dirty sex offender Jerry Neal Morris from Dunca... (Aug '14) May 26 Toracey 2
Police Corruption in South Carolina (Aug '09) Apr '16 Mike 75
News Tommy Pope to resign (Sep '06) Apr '16 SheCoop 48
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jonesville Mortgages