Pastor Creates Stir With Obama-Osama ...

Pastor Creates Stir With Obama-Osama Sign - Politics News Story...

There are 33 comments on the NBC 4 Washington, DC story from Apr 22, 2008, titled Pastor Creates Stir With Obama-Osama Sign - Politics News Story.... In it, NBC 4 Washington, DC reports that:

A South Carolina pastor said he wasn't trying to be political when he posted a sign in front of his church linking Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama and al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 4 Washington, DC.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ROOSTIN ROOSTER

Ambler, PA

#23 Apr 22, 2008
Winston Smith wrote:
You really have to wonder how the Democrats got themselves into a position where a leading candidate not only has a last name that is one letter away from our favorite national boogeyman, but also has the middle name of the Middle Eastern tyrant we defeated.
It's a name tailor-made for attack ads. By September people in Kansas will be convinced that the Senator is Saddam's cousin, or bin Laden's.
Since the Democrats are probably sensitive to charges that they are soft on terrorism or insufficiently supportive of the troops, you have to wonder how such a candidate (who was raised in muslim schools, to boot) could have a serious shot at the nomination. You would think the Democrats would want to run someone tru-blue and American-sounding.
If you stop and wonder where he is getting the billions of dollars that have been stockpiled month to month..you would have to wonder just where is this money coming from..not from the american people, with the state of our economy...
Bin Laden???? you may be on to something here!
Get real

Saint Paul, MN

#24 Apr 22, 2008
Greg wrote:
Too funny.... not really.... it absolutely amazes me every time I see the ultra conservative religious zealots attempt to wield their power over their people in such a way......
The pastor tells them look, act, vote, or whatever in such a manner and they do... lost little sheep with no idea how to find their own way, or make their own knowledgeable choice..
I seem to remember Obama's pastor doing the same thing, but even more obscene. And Lewis Farakan, Obama's pastors friend, has been doing it for the last 40 years. My how your memories are so selective. But then again, you may be right, we should not "cling to our religon".
Winston Smith

Washington, DC

#25 Apr 23, 2008
"Obama was not raised in a Muslim school. He went to a local school in Indonesia but it was not a Muslim school. Thanks for disseminating false information."

Ana, if I am mistaken, I apologize.

Whether the school he attended in Indonesia was officially muslim or not does not detract from my main point, which was to express surprise that the Democrats would seriously consider a candidate whose name (if not his educational background) suggests links to Islam.

As I said, "Barack HUSSEIN OBAMA" is a name just crying out for GOP spinmeisters to link him with terrorists in the eyes of the uninformed or casual observer.
Question

Ladysmith, VA

#26 Apr 23, 2008
mr Giblets wrote:
<quoted text>but having a Moslem name usually means you are a Moslem. Hussein is a moslem name. The entire islamic world has names which are fundamentally Islamic. if you convert you must get a moslem name. If he is not a moslem, he should have changed his name to a Christian one.
Now you got me curious.. I am christian and I wonder, what name should I have???? what is a christian name? John? MAtthew? Paul? but if i am not named those, I should not be a christian? Please let me know what name is appropiate for me since I don't want to be labeled unloyal or something else....... wth...

Since: May 07

Waynesville, NC

#27 Apr 23, 2008
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you got me curious.. I am christian and I wonder, what name should I have???? what is a christian name? John? MAtthew? Paul? but if i am not named those, I should not be a christian? Please let me know what name is appropiate for me since I don't want to be labeled unloyal or something else....... wth...
Unless you plan on running for president, I wouldn't worry about it.
anon

Washington, DC

#28 Apr 23, 2008
Jonesville- Jonestown--hmmm- are they the same?
You Kiddin Me

Washington, DC

#29 Apr 23, 2008
Tom wrote:
If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, has name like a duck, it is a duck. His momma's baby daddy (His father) was a Muslim and that is close enough kin for me. Imagine voting for a Nazi during WWII. Now people want us to vote for a guy with a Muslim name when we are at war with radical Muslims?? Don't think so.
So Tom, by your logic, family members of Klan members are tainted? What about Jeffrey Dahmers relatives....? You follow?
wake-up

Columbus, OH

#30 Apr 24, 2008
Winston Smith wrote:
You really have to wonder how the Democrats got themselves into a position where a leading candidate not only has a last name that is one letter away from our favorite national boogeyman, but also has the middle name of the Middle Eastern tyrant we defeated.
It's a name tailor-made for attack ads. By September people in Kansas will be convinced that the Senator is Saddam's cousin, or bin Laden's.
Since the Democrats are probably sensitive to charges that they are soft on terrorism or insufficiently supportive of the troops, you have to wonder how such a candidate (who was raised in muslim schools, to boot) could have a serious shot at the nomination. You would think the Democrats would want to run someone tru-blue and American-sounding.
I guess you and those who approves of the sign are "down to earth ,salt of the earth people",,,you know "Morons".
Winston Smith

Washington, DC

#31 Apr 24, 2008
I never said I approved of the sign. The sign implies an unproven connection between a U.S. Senator and a terrorist, based on their similar names. It's a clumsy, insinuating attempt at political commentary.

If caring about the background of a potential President makes me a moron, then guilty as charged.
wake-up

Columbus, OH

#32 Apr 24, 2008
Winston Smith wrote:
I never said I approved of the sign. The sign implies an unproven connection between a U.S. Senator and a terrorist, based on their similar names. It's a clumsy, insinuating attempt at political commentary.
If caring about the background of a potential President makes me a moron, then guilty as charged.
I can appreciate you caring about our system but let it understood if we were to take such a narrow approach to someone name and attempt to tie it to some catastrophic event. The history of this country and all of the involvement and association by people with names is mind-blowing.

So why freak-out now???
Tom

Odenton, MD

#33 Apr 24, 2008
You Kiddin Me wrote:
<quoted text>
So Tom, by your logic, family members of Klan members are tainted? What about Jeffrey Dahmers relatives....? You follow?
I am pointing out that Obama raises more questions than answers. Especially his dealings for 20 years with an African loving America hating church and the so called Rev. Wright.
Martin Payne

Suffolk, VA

#34 Apr 24, 2008
I hear a lot of negative comments about Muslims and the Islam religion, but judging by this sign, Rev. Wright and a lot of postings on Topix........you so-called "christians" aren't looking so hot either !!!!

I believe that God is truly good....but you religious nuts in NO WAY represent HIM.

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#35 Apr 24, 2008
I can only assume that either someone else made the sign, or that pastor Byrd is a lier. See Pastor Byrd claims "It's simply to cause people to realize and to see what possibly could happen if we were to get someone in there that does not believe in Jesus Christ," (KSNTV) which means that Pastor Byrd can not read! See anyone who has enough basic reading comprehension to read a news paper would know that Obama is a christian, since his pastor has been all over the major news papers for months now. Even if a person does not read the paper regularly they would have probably caught a glimpse of one at a store, or in a paper box and seen a headline about Obama's Christian pastor (I'm not even including TV here). So the question then becomes can Pastor Byrd actually read? And if not then he is not the one who put the sign out front, and if he did, then he knows full well that Obama is a Christian, and I guess that would make him a lier either way. As for the people posting here that Obama my be a muslim, the same thing applies to you. You (like Pastor Byrd) are either lying about Obama to play on and enhance peoples fears and bigotry, by generally being dishonest, and bad members of society, or you can't actually read and someone else is making these post for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tommy Pope to resign (Sep '06) 1 hr SheCoop 48
News Upstate sheriff says NAACP is racist like the K... Apr 21 Will E Lynch 4
News In case you missed it: Warrenville couple charg... Apr 14 Lucy 1
News SMC recognized for birth outcomes Apr 14 Lucy 1
News Publisher reissues genealogies of early South C... Apr 14 Lucy 1
News Emily Griffitt Anderson Murder Case: Update May... Apr 14 Lucy 1
News Beekeepers Association meets May 3 Apr 14 Lucy 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jonesville Mortgages