Haven Of Mercy Seeks Donations

Haven Of Mercy Seeks Donations

There are 28 comments on the Http story from Feb 15, 2009, titled Haven Of Mercy Seeks Donations. In it, Http reports that:

Haven of Mercy Ministries, Johnson City, has issued a call for help from the community.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Http.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Diogenes”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#1 Feb 15, 2009
You know this outfit never did allow their books to be reviewed over that financial flap a while back. I hear the churches that used to support them have backed off since the finances were never reviewed.
SteelMagnolia

Columbia, TN

#2 Mar 3, 2009
It did seem strange that they wouldn't allow it. Wonder what they're hiding?
ommadawn

Jonesborough, TN

#3 Apr 9, 2009
diogenes-light wrote:
You know this outfit never did allow their books to be reviewed over that financial flap a while back. I hear the churches that used to support them have backed off since the finances were never reviewed.
There is another mission in Bristol, TN. the Haven of Rest, they volunteered their books to be opened, but the question is, were they the factual, honest financial statement, or a doctored statement. yes, they do good work, but is it a subterfuge, to cover up the fact that the upper management staff is getting rich on the misfortune of others. Who questions benevolent charities, what a way to disguise greed. I noticed that all the new expensive cars were all owned by the upper management. It's your money, make sure it is going for the purpose you intended it for,and not to enrich some scam artist.

Since: Mar 09

Franklin, TN

#4 Apr 9, 2009
I THINK THE WHOLE ORGANIZATION IS DISHONEST. SHOW YOUR BOOKS. THERE NEEDS TO BE ACCOUNTABILITY. THE PERSON RUNNING THE THRIFT STORE NOW IS RUDE AND GREEDY. SHE HAS RUN OFF ALL HER PAYING CUSTOMERS. I AM ALL FOR HELPING THE HOMELESS BUT YOU NEED TO HAVE SOMEONE WHO CAN DEAL WITH THE PUBLIC AND BE NICE. SHE ACTS LIKE SHE IS DOING YOU A FAVOR BY BEING AT THE STORE. GO TO GOOD SAMARITAN OR SALVATION ARMY. AT LEAST THEY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS.
SteelMagnolia

Columbia, TN

#5 Apr 11, 2009
I heard this just yesterday about the Haven of Mercy thrift store. One of my co-workers said she no longer donates to them because when you pull around back to drop off, there are piles of things just sitting out in the open, exposed to the weather -- clothing, furniture. They are just too lazy to move them inside. The store itself is dirty and smells. Last time I was there I got so queasy I had to leave.
gasngo

Johnson City, TN

#6 Apr 11, 2009
WE WILL NOT DONATE to Haven. They do not have the right attitude. The store is gastly It SMELLS LIKE A BAG OF FERTILIZER / WITH GYM SHORTS MIXED IN stinks.- the newer management?? is rude-inconsiderate and not concerned about the store. THE PRICES ARE OUTRAGEOUS. As for the grand master the director, he is obnoxious and not worth his weight in fish scales..aka slimy.

In previous years when Dawn, Tammy were there it was operated with respect for the workers, customers and clean orderly.
Mike

Bluff City, TN

#7 Apr 11, 2009
diogenes-light wrote:
What reason dod Grant give for not showing the books?
gasngo

Johnson City, TN

#8 Apr 13, 2009
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>What reason dod Grant give for not showing the books?
Its not the Haven of Mercy - its the Haven of Ripping the Public & US Government off. Its called a "not for profit corporation 501C3" under the Federal Tax Code and most likely they have a non voting board that has no idea of where/what/when and how the contributions are being spent. sounts like Grant can be Called Mr Green Pockets..with lots of presidents pictures in them
Mike

Bluff City, TN

#9 Apr 13, 2009
I believe the original concept of the Haven of Mercy was good. It is a necessary place we need in Johnson City, hopefully, it can be placed under a new director and become more transparent. It thought Charatable organizations were required, by law, to have their books audited from time to time. I saw the interview where the director, Grant, refused to be open about the "non-profit" organizations books. That really surprised me that he was so arrogant about answering questions about the Haven of Mercy's finances. He should know that his behavior makes people very suspicious of him and the Haven. Just my opinion!

“Diogenes”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#11 Apr 22, 2009
They are not required to open their books by law, but they could if they wanted to. They said they did not want to make the private donors names. But all they had to do was black out the names, and show the books!
ronh

Kingsport, TN

#12 Jan 4, 2011
The reason the stuff is piled at the back door is because Phobee hasn't had a chance to go through it yet & pick out the good stuff for her self (or her family)for free.The next step is for her to call Bargains on Broadway to see what they want to buy (that's where they get a lot of the furniture they sell).The junk thats left after that is put out for the public to buy.Don't let them fool you,Old man Grant is getting rich off the poor & he wont even pay the gas bill so the store can be heated in the winter.
Almsforthepoor

Kingsport, TN

#13 Jan 5, 2011
Come on thrift store shoppers,I know theres plenty of stories about that place.
amen

Kingsport, TN

#14 Jan 6, 2011
ronh wrote:
The reason the stuff is piled at the back door is because Phobee hasn't had a chance to go through it yet & pick out the good stuff for her self (or her family)for free.The next step is for her to call Bargains on Broadway to see what they want to buy (that's where they get a lot of the furniture they sell).The junk thats left after that is put out for the public to buy.Don't let them fool you,Old man Grant is getting rich off the poor & he wont even pay the gas bill so the store can be heated in the winter.
You hit the nail on the head. I know someone who worked for them years and years ago and they told the same story. They said nothing gets put out before they go through it and pick out the stuff they want for themselves. I can't believe they are still getting by with this.

Since: Oct 09

AOL

#15 Jan 7, 2011
amen wrote:
<quoted text>
You hit the nail on the head. I know someone who worked for them years and years ago and they told the same story. They said nothing gets put out before they go through it and pick out the stuff they want for themselves. I can't believe they are still getting by with this.
I must agree, the stuff donated goes thru a lot of hands before it reaches the store. I hate to admit it, but my deceased father in law was the resident preacher there long ago, and he got top pick of the merchandise. Second in line were the employees of the store, unless it was a big money item. If it was, the big dogs laid into it......such as a donated car, real estate, etc. But all in all they are doing a good job helping the less fortunate in spite of the crooks. It is a shame. If not for them, many folks would just starve. I guess ya have to take the good with the bad.
samantha

Johnson City, TN

#16 Feb 18, 2013
I have been going to the haven since july 2012 and i first went with a friend who told me that they were good people and that the chruch was good to go to and that they helped alot of people with things you need when you are down and out. So i went and my friend was right they was very nice and they welcomed me and automatically helped me with a power i was late on. So i started going all the time, i went tuesday, thursday, and sunday to the church services and i even went to supper everyday at 4 to eat with everybody. I volunteered to work at the thrift stores and i helped feed everybody for thanksgiving and christmas at the haven. I even went to counseling with grants wife once a week. So i was continously at the haven almost everyday from july 2012 until jan 2013 and over that period of time the haven helped me with one rent payment i was behind on and 2 power bills that was about 180-190 and then i had took a title loan on my car and they agreed to pay it off for me so i would not lose my car because they knew i had a son and had been sick with cervical cancer and was trying to get on my feet and they didnt want me to lose it. When i orginally got the loan it was for 800 so by the time they added there interest it was going to be 1200 so grant sent me with someone from the haven with a check to pay the loan off and that is what i did so then we went back to the haven and the verbal agreement was that he would hold the title and i would in return keep volunteering and working at the stores, coming to church and just helping when i could and when i got back on my feet that if i could make small payments back toward him helping with my loan but not paying it back in full just some small payments here and there to show my graditude toward them helping me and remember this was all verbal between me and grant but me being vulnerable and desperate to keep my car and have a good life for my son i signed the back of the title and trusted him to know that he would hold my title and give it to me after a couple of months after all i am a preachers granddaughter i was raised a baptist and to believe in preachers and to know that they are honest people. Needless to say i continued to go to church there until the first of jan 2013 and i was still looking for a job and grant and people staying at the haven started making comments about how i still wasnt working and that they had helped me over and over and i wasnt giving back even though i was there everyday helping and working for them but i wasnt able to make any payments but i was helping with whatever they needed so i kind of backed off of going to church and helping as much because my feelings was hurt by what they were saying and i still kept contact with them by phone but feb. 15, 2013 came and at 1 o'clock in the morning the people from the haven came to my house and had made a key to my car and drove off in it and took it from me and so when i called them they said that because i wasnt coming to church as much or helping that i owed them for the help they gave me and that they where taking my car and the same day they turned my power off. So i guess now i am trying to figure out what to do know i am not really sure that what they did was legal but i am really hurt by this i got off my feet because i have cancer and couldnt work like i used to and i have a son and im a single mom at that and i chose to go to a ministry for help and never knew that when a church or ministry helped you that you are supposed to pay that back or that they can come and take your car and turn your power off so needless to say i have no car, no power with a son and im sick and nowhere to turn and they will no longer answer my phone calls. I have no idea who to turn to but i want everyone to know what really goes on at the haven and who to tell because it is alot of illegal stuff that goes on with the money and donations.
Curious

Knoxville, TN

#17 Feb 22, 2013
What happens to all the jewelry that is donated? The workers say they cannot sell it until it is "looked at" but you never see any for sell. Just curious.
need cash now

Jonesborough, TN

#18 Feb 22, 2013
I am also seeking donations for my alcoholism, i was told no one likes a quitter so if you could donate a bottle or five I would be much ablidged. I will also take cash and seual favors but only of they are donated with sincerity o my cause. God speed
Wowzies

Kingsport, TN

#19 Mar 1, 2013
need cash now wrote:
I am also seeking donations for my alcoholism, i was told no one likes a quitter so if you could donate a bottle or five I would be much ablidged. I will also take cash and seual favors but only of they are donated with sincerity o my cause. God speed
Smart, er.........dumb asses like you contribute nothing to a thread. The Haven has its problems just like any other group and your input is useless. I suggest anyone contribute to them. What ever makes it thru will go to those who need it.
Bill

Johnson City, TN

#20 Mar 31, 2013
ommadawn wrote:
<quoted text>
There is another mission in Bristol, TN. the Haven of Rest, they volunteered their books to be opened, but the question is, were they the factual, honest financial statement, or a doctored statement. yes, they do good work, but is it a subterfuge, to cover up the fact that the upper management staff is getting rich on the misfortune of others. Who questions benevolent charities, what a way to disguise greed. I noticed that all the new expensive cars were all owned by the upper management. It's your money, make sure it is going for the purpose you intended it for,and not to enrich some scam artist.
Good grief, they volunteered to open the books. If you don't like them, don't donate time or money.
Wow

Sanford, NC

#21 Jun 9, 2013
The Samantha Saga......
Did they help her get a job? Sounds to me like they got wise to her scam and retrieved their security.
Paid her titlemax off - wow. Paid her power bills- double wow! Fed her- wow! Gave her emergency money-wow!
Probably gave her foodboxes as well. Doubt she helped as she claimed. Some reason she couldn't work like the rest of us?
I've heard this ministry helps when no-one else will. Sounds like this woman scams for a living then bites the hand that fed her.
Be interested to know about any criminal history in her record. Jobs are there for those who want to work!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesborough Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tax And Spend David Tomita 51 min JCFan 12
Wine Sales 1 hr hmmm 2
DNC Disgrace 1 hr hmmm 3
Liars For Jesus Go Directly To Hell (May '11) 2 hr Don 48
Eldridge and Meredith caught by JCP 3 hr say what 159
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 4 hr DonotbesoNaive 1,520
patrick grayson 4 hr GTG1985 3

Jonesborough Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance