MSHA comes to Unicoi
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Peggy Cantrell

Jonesborough, TN

#1 Apr 2, 2013
My husband and I own the house and property on the Nolichucky at Radio Tower rapids. If you fish or paddle, or float, you know this beautiful spot wehre geese nest and raise their young and anglers pull bass and trout year round. I am in the river throughout the year. i listen to it constantly and know the water fowl who nest on the island mid-stream of where a hospital is planned.
I am writing to raise awareness of all groups who enjoy this stretch of the river. MSHA is planning to build a hospital on the land adjacent to the Holiday inn Express. The property extends all the way back to the river and includes considerable river frontage.. Now, I believe that a small hospital could be built without much impact on the river. Mike and I are pretty upset because that side of the river is included in our daily view, and we are certain that 24/7 lights and ambulance sirens are going to negatively impact our dream home, to say the least, but that's our personal problem, and if MSHA cares, they can minimize the impact. My broader concern is for the river and for the animals and paddlers who cherish it, as well as those of us who live on and in it. MSHA could modify the bank of their property in such a way as to affect the flow and change or destroy the rapids. They could have run off that pollutes or otherwise yucks up the water quality. They could build in such a way so that erosion is a constant problem. They could position lights that blast the nesting areas, shine into our windows, and so on.

I strongly encourage all of us who love the river to contact MSHA and insist that the river and those who love the river be respected and taken into account in the planning and execution process. I am not trying to sound alarm bells, but it is better to initiate communication now than after the building begins. It would also be important to contact the Unicoi Co. Commissioners. You may have other ideas about networking and contacts.
Wildman-27

Johnson City, TN

#2 Apr 2, 2013
It will not hurt the river one bit the EPA would not let them get that close to the river anyway. And there parking lot the build will have to have a run off pond for the water to go into just like out at Walmart, the new Middle School, The YMCA, The county schools bus garage. Would you rather them build it out in Unicoi it will help eveyone on this end of town plus everyone that lives in Flag Pond and over the mountain in N.C. If you live so close why are u worrying about the river and ducks and fish why didnt you say something about Ellis Engle dumping all that trash over the bank into the river all them years building a hospital there would not be has worse as that. Plus another reason they will not go that close to the river is for flooding. I hope they build it there we need more stuff on this end of the county then just a gas station and a hotel. If you own the land dont sale it to them to build then!
Wildman-27

Johnson City, TN

#3 Apr 2, 2013
And I love the river too I float and fish the river all the time nothing will change about a hospital being there you will still be able to fish swim and anything you want to there I bet.
no problem

Johnson City, TN

#4 Apr 3, 2013
MSHA will buy the property. Then after the feasability study will build care clinic out there like they have in Johnson City with a couple of beds for short term surgery recovery and the rest will go to the Med Center that is if the even have an operating room here.Which I don't think will happen. Everything will be done in Johnson City because you won't have any other choice.
Blue-Devil-Pride 11

Johnson City, TN

#5 Apr 3, 2013
They are going to do Surgerys at the new Hospital and its not going to be a band aid station. I work for the Hospital and im glad MSHA bought the Hospital because their going to keep all the workers. Wellmont wasnt going to keep us and they where going to put the new hospital out on the other side of Unicoiand all that would have done is hurt everyone on the South end of the county. MSHA will be better for Unicoi County and it will be really good for the south end of Unicoi County.
hmm

Powell, TN

#6 Apr 3, 2013
Blue-Devil-Pride11 wrote:
They are going to do Surgerys at the new Hospital and its not going to be a band aid station. I work for the Hospital and im glad MSHA bought the Hospital because their going to keep all the workers. Wellmont wasnt going to keep us and they where going to put the new hospital out on the other side of Unicoiand all that would have done is hurt everyone on the South end of the county. MSHA will be better for Unicoi County and it will be really good for the south end of Unicoi County.
Only good MSHA gonna do anyone is if it reaches an agreement with Blue Cross Blue Shield....otherwise we all will suffer!!!!
Just the facts

Johnson City, TN

#7 Apr 3, 2013
MSHA will not build anything more than a glorified ER where you can be assessed before being shipped off to JC Med Center. The guy at the meetings plainly said if you need to be in the hospital for more than a day then you are going to JC. The Wellmont people said they would build a 48 bed hospital and you could be treated for anything that was wrong with you right here in Unicoi County without having to go anywhere else. A big diservice done to Unicoi County by picking MSHA. If you get sick you may as well go straight over to the Medcenter and skip the Erwin ER , that way you don't have to pay that $2000.00 ambulance ride when they transfer you to JC when it is determined you have to be addmitted. Only thing is if you have Blue Cross or Cigna then you need to go on to Kinsport to Wellmont because MSHA don't take Cigna now and after June they won't take Blue Cross either. Thanks alot hospital board.
Juniorfan

Johnson City, TN

#8 Apr 4, 2013
If you ppl who are so for having msha in Erwin think that they wont change everything you are delusional. They tell you what pharmacy you can use, whether you can smoke or not, what Dr you can see, you have no choice in insurance plus you must pay a surcharge for your spouse and of course you must go to their hospital. 10 years from now or even 5 Erwin is gonna regret letting MSHA in. You'll see. Oh and if you dont take flu shots you are FIRED!!! Its called a monopoly, get used to it
GO DEEP

La Follette, TN

#9 Apr 4, 2013
And how many OR rooms is MSHA adding on the new addition!
METO

Bluff City, TN

#10 Apr 6, 2013
Here is a question for ya....Who owns this land that they are going to build the hospital on...does anyone know?
Citizen Cane

Knoxville, TN

#11 Apr 6, 2013
METO wrote:
Here is a question for ya....Who owns this land that they are going to build the hospital on...does anyone know?
Orville English as I understand it.
barry

Knoxville, TN

#12 Apr 8, 2013
Just the facts wrote:
MSHA will not build anything more than a glorified ER where you can be assessed before being shipped off to JC Med Center. The guy at the meetings plainly said if you need to be in the hospital for more than a day then you are going to JC. The Wellmont people said they would build a 48 bed hospital and you could be treated for anything that was wrong with you right here in Unicoi County without having to go anywhere else. A big diservice done to Unicoi County by picking MSHA. If you get sick you may as well go straight over to the Medcenter and skip the Erwin ER , that way you don't have to pay that $2000.00 ambulance ride when they transfer you to JC when it is determined you have to be addmitted. Only thing is if you have Blue Cross or Cigna then you need to go on to Kinsport to Wellmont because MSHA don't take Cigna now and after June they won't take Blue Cross either. Thanks alot hospital board.
And what's the problem ? It has been that way for years ! How many times have u seen a Ambulance or the helicopter transporting someone from the ER to the Med Center ? Not gonna be that much different than it has always been.
Just the facts

Johnson City, TN

#13 Apr 8, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text> And what's the problem ? It has been that way for years ! How many times have u seen a Ambulance or the helicopter transporting someone from the ER to the Med Center ? Not gonna be that much different than it has always been.
You are right , it won't be any different than in the past. An opertunity has passed Unicoi County by because there was a chance for it to be different. A large 48 bed hospital like Wellmont said they would build would have been a big economic boost to the county , no matter where they decided to build it. A lot of other buisnesses would have sprang up around a new BIG hospital. A big loss for the county in this deal because the Hospital Board is so narrow minded.
JFK

Johnson City, TN

#14 Jun 12, 2013
MSHA has already started with their business as usual antics. Home Health closed. They will clean house of the faithful employees who have spent years dedicated to the people of Erwin and their healthcare. Worse decision our leaders have ever made. Hide and watch.
DoctorFeelGood3

Johnson City, TN

#17 Jun 26, 2013
Oh NO Mountain States aint going to get the hospital now I guess the State A.G. found out that they where paying Glen Tilson, Roland Bailey, Russell Brackins, and Todd Love off so they would get the vote going the way MSHA wanted it to go. Now you 4 dumbass aint going to have a say so. There going to do it the way it should have been done back in Nov. and let the City and County vote on it.
Mr_Mr

Elizabethton, TN

#18 Jun 27, 2013
Well my best advise to you is you better start writing you petition and start getting signatures "RIGHT NOW" !!! This town as with most of our country today is motivated by shear GREED !! The only thing you can do to stop anything like that is have MANY VOICES (voters)!
Peggy Cantrell wrote:
My husband and I own the house and property on the Nolichucky at Radio Tower rapids. If you fish or paddle, or float, you know this beautiful spot wehre geese nest and raise their young and anglers pull bass and trout year round. I am in the river throughout the year. i listen to it constantly and know the water fowl who nest on the island mid-stream of where a hospital is planned.
I am writing to raise awareness of all groups who enjoy this stretch of the river. MSHA is planning to build a hospital on the land adjacent to the Holiday inn Express. The property extends all the way back to the river and includes considerable river frontage.. Now, I believe that a small hospital could be built without much impact on the river. Mike and I are pretty upset because that side of the river is included in our daily view, and we are certain that 24/7 lights and ambulance sirens are going to negatively impact our dream home, to say the least, but that's our personal problem, and if MSHA cares, they can minimize the impact. My broader concern is for the river and for the animals and paddlers who cherish it, as well as those of us who live on and in it. MSHA could modify the bank of their property in such a way as to affect the flow and change or destroy the rapids. They could have run off that pollutes or otherwise yucks up the water quality. They could build in such a way so that erosion is a constant problem. They could position lights that blast the nesting areas, shine into our windows, and so on.
I strongly encourage all of us who love the river to contact MSHA and insist that the river and those who love the river be respected and taken into account in the planning and execution process. I am not trying to sound alarm bells, but it is better to initiate communication now than after the building begins. It would also be important to contact the Unicoi Co. Commissioners. You may have other ideas about networking and contacts.
Young Voter

La Follette, TN

#19 Jun 27, 2013
Not only did you 4 dumb asses thought only of yourself and received millions and family benefits( you know taking advantage and getting ahead)without listening to the public and what they wanted. You just wanted what is best in your own interest! Now look what is left for the community (NOTHING). It seems to me I have heard this before. Like the X Sheriff. Yeah that's it pocket the money and screw the people. I am glad the State A.G. is honest and has put a hold on this whole mess. The bad thing is now we won't have a hospital. MHSA is for them selves and do not care about the people. We want and need Wellmont. This is a fact. They would bring good doctors here and would take the insurance most of the people have in this county. Think about it if MHSA don't take your insurance you will have to go to Bristol to the hospital. Has anyone thought about this. I have. You have screwed the people for years and are still trying. I would like to know who votes these people in office. We need to get them out and get honest people in. But there are just to many kool aid drinkers here. That is why I leave Unicoi County to work and spend my tax dollars else wheres.
Wildman-27

Johnson City, TN

#20 Jun 27, 2013
MSHA is the best bet for the Town of Erwin and the South end of Unicoi County. If wellmont comes in to Unicoi County they are going to put the new hospital on the other side of Unicoi County so then everyone that live in Flag Pond, Spivey, Tilson Mountain, Devils Fork, and Higgins Creek will have to drive pretty much to Johnson City. I think MSHA plans to build a new hospital in the south end will pay off in the long run that way people that live up there dont have to drive to Ashville or drive all the way to Johnson City. Plus if they put it out in Unicoi gets all the tax money off it and the Town of Erwin is out. And let me see Unicoi does not have a full time Fire Dept.,Police Dept. there for if you build something like that in the Town of Unicoi would have to spend more money to hire all full time police officers and fireman. And they will end up spend more money because your not going to find that many people that have already been to all the State Classes for becoming a Police Officer and Fireman. The Town of Erwin already has this so therefore you dont have to spend money on that and no one has to go to any kind of schools it will be better in the long run. And Mountain States will do what they said there going to do they have everywhere else they have moved into. And Wellmont Didnt say one word about keeping the Long Term Care that is at the hospital and that is one of reasons MSHA wanted this place is because of the Long Term Care and Wellmont wasnt going to keep all the employees MSHA is going to they have already got everyone signed up for everything now. But everyone has there own reason for wanting something else. MSHA will be the better in the end.
Bob

Charlotte, NC

#21 Jun 28, 2013
Wildman-27 wrote:
MSHA is the best bet for the Town of Erwin and the South end of Unicoi County. If wellmont comes in to Unicoi County they are going to put the new hospital on the other side of Unicoi County so then everyone that live in Flag Pond, Spivey, Tilson Mountain, Devils Fork, and Higgins Creek will have to drive pretty much to Johnson City. I think MSHA plans to build a new hospital in the south end will pay off in the long run that way people that live up there dont have to drive to Ashville or drive all the way to Johnson City. Plus if they put it out in Unicoi gets all the tax money off it and the Town of Erwin is out. And let me see Unicoi does not have a full time Fire Dept.,Police Dept. there for if you build something like that in the Town of Unicoi would have to spend more money to hire all full time police officers and fireman. And they will end up spend more money because your not going to find that many people that have already been to all the State Classes for becoming a Police Officer and Fireman. The Town of Erwin already has this so therefore you dont have to spend money on that and no one has to go to any kind of schools it will be better in the long run. And Mountain States will do what they said there going to do they have everywhere else they have moved into. And Wellmont Didnt say one word about keeping the Long Term Care that is at the hospital and that is one of reasons MSHA wanted this place is because of the Long Term Care and Wellmont wasnt going to keep all the employees MSHA is going to they have already got everyone signed up for everything now. But everyone has there own reason for wanting something else. MSHA will be the better in the end.
Talk about being gullible, you wanna bite of my possum sandwich? It sure is good. I promise. Don't know you, but im sure all you stated will not happen. We will get lied to.
wrong

Johnson City, TN

#22 Jun 28, 2013
Wildman-27 wrote:
MSHA is the best bet for the Town of Erwin and the South end of Unicoi County. If wellmont comes in to Unicoi County they are going to put the new hospital on the other side of Unicoi County so then everyone that live in Flag Pond, Spivey, Tilson Mountain, Devils Fork, and Higgins Creek will have to drive pretty much to Johnson City. I think MSHA plans to build a new hospital in the south end will pay off in the long run that way people that live up there dont have to drive to Ashville or drive all the way to Johnson City. Plus if they put it out in Unicoi gets all the tax money off it and the Town of Erwin is out. And let me see Unicoi does not have a full time Fire Dept.,Police Dept. there for if you build something like that in the Town of Unicoi would have to spend more money to hire all full time police officers and fireman. And they will end up spend more money because your not going to find that many people that have already been to all the State Classes for becoming a Police Officer and Fireman. The Town of Erwin already has this so therefore you dont have to spend money on that and no one has to go to any kind of schools it will be better in the long run. And Mountain States will do what they said there going to do they have everywhere else they have moved into. And Wellmont Didnt say one word about keeping the Long Term Care that is at the hospital and that is one of reasons MSHA wanted this place is because of the Long Term Care and Wellmont wasnt going to keep all the employees MSHA is going to they have already got everyone signed up for everything now. But everyone has there own reason for wanting something else. MSHA will be the better in the end.
Sorry but I think the hospital that comes should be what is in the best interest of the whole county. Not a few people from the south end as you say.And before you go spreading any more lies. Wellmont on page says they will keep the long term care center. As for MSHA what about them already shutting down the home health department.It wouldn't matter if it was located in downtown Erwin the few from the south end and the hospital board would still stay with MSHA. There is more going on than meets the eye under the table. Planning on building a hospital in a flood zone as well as in an area known for sink holes says a lot. To me it says they aren't planning on putting a lot of money out for a facility that could get washed away or sink into the ground. Putting one there is really in the best interest of the patients isn't it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesborough Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thinking about moving to Johnson City (Feb '15) 6 min Ricky 22
Angel Tree Program? (Oct '12) 9 min Ricky 59
Supertalk radio, is George West gone? (Nov '15) 16 min Ricky 19
Dominions pizza 21 min Ricky 3
NutriMost - New Diet Scam (May '14) 39 min cthode6005- 1,611
Johnny Sidham that works at ACT (Dec '12) 2 hr Elf 3
local girls (Nov '12) 2 hr Jimtim234 12

Jonesborough Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jonesborough Mortgages