ETSU Ignores Students Wishes Votes to...

ETSU Ignores Students Wishes Votes to Bring Football Back

Posted in the Jonesborough Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Buckaneer

Johnson City, TN

#1 Jan 29, 2013
Today the SGA approved a increase in student fees to pay for the return of football to ETSU. The students voted on this a few years ago and they overwhelmingly rejected a fee increase to subsidize football. Sounds like the SGA is a lot like our elected representatives. Ignore the voters wishes and vote to spend their money.
Inquirer

Johnson City, TN

#2 Jan 29, 2013
They learn young nowadays. Go along to get along.
Bucky

Kingsport, TN

#3 Jan 29, 2013
Buckaneer... You need to tell it like it is if you're going to tell it.

"Twenty-two Student Government Association senators cast yes votes and five voted no on a resolution that encourages ETSU President Brian Noland to develop a football program. There was one abstention."
Ricardio

Elizabethton, TN

#4 Jan 29, 2013
The students who voted several years ago are long gone. ETSU needs a football program. For a school this size not to have one is just crazy. Centering Homecoming around a soccer game is lame. The students need something to build morale and school pride, and the community needs a good sports venue, not just high school athletics. ETSU football in an outdoor stadium will be a blast. Hopefully a better conference can be found though. Go Bucs!!!!!!
Buckaneer

Johnson City, TN

#5 Jan 29, 2013
Bucky wrote:
Buckaneer... You need to tell it like it is if you're going to tell it.
"Twenty-two Student Government Association senators cast yes votes and five voted no on a resolution that encourages ETSU President Brian Noland to develop a football program. There was one abstention."
The local news media, and apparently you, are spinning 22 measly votes as "strong support" to encourage Noland to start football. It's a shame that students are expected to pay for it out of their student activity fees though. The bottom line is when ALL the students were ALLOWED to vote they rejected the extra costs to their tuition. Yes they're learning young how to spend other peoples money. Noland's attempt convince us that he was strongly encourgaged by the students is laughable.
Capt Blast

Cumming, GA

#6 Jan 29, 2013
The SGA sucked 25 years ago and apparently it still does. Back then it was just a bunch of well-off daddies boys and girls learning how to be as mean,offensive and USELESS as possible so they could do the same later in life.
Lesson learned.
For all of us.
lulz

Jonesborough, TN

#7 Jan 29, 2013
Again, those that voted before are long gone. New students, new president. Get over your poor pitiful I'm a poor student mindset. Most of us have already been there and done that. Don't cry a for sympathy over money you'd piss away at the club on Thursday nights. Your voice for them is invalid. That being said, I'm willing to bet that over 80% of the students going there are riding student loans, lottery scholarships, grants, mommy and daddy paying for it, or other types of federal aid. So therefore they won't even miss the extra 125.. Just something for them to complain about.

Also I find it funny the hefty chick that was complaining about it on WHJL and how it was money for food and rent was sitting there drinking a giant Starbucks coffee.. If she needed money that much she doesn't need that 7 dollar coffee she was sucking down.. lmao... hypocrite college kids never cease to amuse me. They're so liberal and smart yet can't see past their own nose.
Confused

Knoxville, TN

#8 Jan 29, 2013
Nobody went to the games when ETSU had a football program. I don't know why anyone would think people would come if they start it again.
Concerned

Johnson City, TN

#9 Jan 30, 2013
The football program is not needed. There is a reason they got rid of it a while back. This is just a move by the new president to say he accomplished something at the school. Something that wasn't presented is how much $1000 will cost each student in their student loans. This isn't a small fee. Are the football supports going to help pay for the student loans for the students having to pay for this. How is it that they can afford the program for $125 when in 2009 they wanted $200 from each student. This is going to be an increasing fee over time because the football program will suck money away from ETSU. ETSU does not need football to have a homecoming. It isn't lame to find alternatives. Just because the south uses football as a religion, don't bash students for trying to be finically responsible at least on one thing.

If they want to bring football back, don't do it at the cost of the students. Get these locals who want a football game to go to and get them to donate money. Let's see how willing they are to put money toward it.

Hell, Why dont we raise tuition to help pay teachers a decent salary. There are many at ETSU that get paid dirt for teaching. ETSU is also one of the lowest paying colleges in TN. Yet we need our FOOTBALL! Go 'MERICA!
Ricardio

Elizabethton, TN

#10 Jan 30, 2013
Professors at ETSU received a pay increase at the beginning of the year. This was accomplished by raising tuition, with no input from students. If they don't like their job or their pay: Find something else.
Please

Johnson City, TN

#11 Jan 30, 2013
Confused wrote:
Nobody went to the games when ETSU had a football program. I don't know why anyone would think people would come if they start it again.
They won't. But there are several dozen jobs, millions of dollars, and hundreds of scholarships over the years for the athletic department.

If you think the basketball team brought trouble to the school and the community just wait. They've been down this road before. If it was plain imcompetence it might be forgivible but its not.
Phil Fulmer

Johnson City, TN

#12 Jan 30, 2013
WJHL interviewed Coach Fulmer and he didn't accept or deny being approached to fill the head coaching job at ETSU when or if it brings back football.
Long Shot

Johnson City, TN

#13 Jan 30, 2013
Phil Fulmer wrote:
WJHL interviewed Coach Fulmer and he didn't accept or deny being approached to fill the head coaching job at ETSU when or if it brings back football.
Wouldn't hold ny breath, but that is the kind of coach it would take. The local dumbasses (appropriately called athletic supporters) who ruined the program the first time couldn't tell him who to hire, recruit, play, or how run the program.
Shame

Johnson City, TN

#14 Jan 30, 2013
Confused wrote:
They don't need fans. The increase in "student activity fees" will bring in an additional $2.8 million per year. Some of that will go to constructing a new stadium. They should be ashamed of themselves. Manipulating a handful of kids into "taxing" their fellow students (over 10,000) an additional $250 to $375 per year for a few jobs, a few scholarships and a new construction boondoggle. Glad everyone has their priorities straight.
Buccaneer No More

Johnson City, TN

#15 Jan 30, 2013
Buckaneer wrote:
<quoted text>
The local news media, and apparently you, are spinning 22 measly votes as "strong support" to encourage Noland to start football. It's a shame that students are expected to pay for it out of their student activity fees though. The bottom line is when ALL the students were ALLOWED to vote they rejected the extra costs to their tuition. Yes they're learning young how to spend other peoples money. Noland's attempt convince us that he was strongly encourgaged by the students is laughable.
Are you dumb or just stupid? 22 MEASLY votes....well thats 22 out of 27 which is over 80%. The last vote was years ago so quit your crybaby whining.
Pop

Jonesborough, TN

#16 Jan 30, 2013
Shame wrote:
<quoted text> They don't need fans. The increase in "student activity fees" will bring in an additional $2.8 million per year. Some of that will go to constructing a new stadium. They should be ashamed of themselves. Manipulating a handful of kids into "taxing" their fellow students (over 10,000) an additional $250 to $375 per year for a few jobs, a few scholarships and a new construction boondoggle. Glad everyone has their priorities straight.
You don't get it Shame. This very modest increase gives the school the opportunity to generate huge profits. If a football team is even modestly successful on the field, it can make a lot of money for the school. Ever wonder why a Div. II football team plays a top 20 Div. I football team just to get creamed? It is because it makes them a lot of money. Most Div II schools who do this then donate part of these profits to academics. On the flip side, you have to have a team that a larger school wants to play. To do this, you can't lose every game and have somewhat of a recognized name. Yes, it takes time to develop this, but re-thinking having football has less to do with having a team than gaining an opportunity to generate huge profits. State funding is going to decrease for all schools. The schools who proactively try to find new revenue sources are the ones that will prosper.
Buckaneer

Johnson City, TN

#17 Jan 30, 2013
Buccaneer No More wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you dumb or just stupid? 22 MEASLY votes....well thats 22 out of 27 which is over 80%. The last vote was years ago so quit your crybaby whining.
Since you're not too swift. When the the 10,000 plus students were asked if they wanted their annual fees raised to pay for football they said overwhelmingly no. Maybe they were shortsighted and were more concerned about their education. The idea that 22 yes votes from the SGA speaks for them is absurd. I would have more respect for Noland if he would just come out and say "I want football back and I'm going to make it happen." The idea that the students approved it is nonsense.
Bucky

Johnson City, TN

#18 Jan 31, 2013
Buckaneer wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you're not too swift. When the the 10,000 plus students were asked if they wanted their annual fees raised to pay for football they said overwhelmingly no. Maybe they were shortsighted and were more concerned about their education. The idea that 22 yes votes from the SGA speaks for them is absurd. I would have more respect for Noland if he would just come out and say "I want football back and I'm going to make it happen." The idea that the students approved it is nonsense.
Obviously you weren't at the ETSU basketball game tonite. The students made their wishes known when the ENTIRE student section chanted... "We want football, we want football!!!" It was a stellar moment! Hope you were there to see it! Football is on it's way and I can PROMISE you that the students WANT IT!! Yay! We're going to have a REAL University again!!
Buckaneer

Johnson City, TN

#19 Jan 31, 2013
Bucky wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you weren't at the ETSU basketball game tonite. The students made their wishes known when the ENTIRE student section chanted... "We want football, we want football!!!" It was a stellar moment! Hope you were there to see it! Football is on it's way and I can PROMISE you that the students WANT IT!! Yay! We're going to have a REAL University again!!

Went to a basketball game last year and the attendance was poor by any standard. This year it's worse. And the university wants to build a new stadium for that fan base? As far as the chants that's simply the choir being vocal. It would be interesting if they gave students the choice of opting in for football support. If they opt out they don't receive free tickets to the home games. I doubt they would get 50% participation under that scenario. Again the additional fee to each student is $250 to $375 per year.

The biggest problem with the football program in the past was the athletic department, the supporters, and their interference in the program. They failed to recruit locally and brought in players from Florida and Alabama etc. Who can blame the community for not supporting that. All while consistently having the best facilities in their respective leagues.

A big part of the program was the arrogant attitude of the boosters and the way a handful of players comported themselves. A problem the basketball team is experiencing presently.

If Noland isn't aware of the past problems then he's not been properly advised or terribly naive. Firing the Postmaster who intercepted a drug shipment indicates that in some fashion he's not getting it. The athletic department is not the king bully of the University and, unlike some schools, the revenues they bring in isn't even remotely sufficient to consider granting them that status.
Nobody

Kingsport, TN

#20 Feb 1, 2013
I'm sure that most of the student body is not interested in paying an additional $125 per semester for this experiment. Egos in action.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jonesborough Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crockett Coach Should Be School Director 7 min Loser 3
wussywover 2 hr umm 3
Lester clawson (Dec '16) 4 hr Reverend Jim 24
Kent harris !!! 5 hr Tommy Briggs 16
Birthday party venue (Feb '11) 5 hr bozo 24
New Life Praise and Worship 6 hr billy 2
Red Pig 7 hr This guy 3

Jonesborough Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance