Does this mean the Center of Aging and Health is shutting down???

Posted in the Jonesborough Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 44 Comments Last updated May 5, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Wondering

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

PUBLIC NOTICE FOR INVOLUNTARY TERMINATION OF MEDICARE /MEDICAID PROVIDER AGREEMENT Notice is hereby given that effective August 29, 2012, the agreement between Center on Aging and Health, 880 South Mohawk Drive, Erwin, Tennessee and the Secretary of Health and Human Services, as provider of nursing services in the Health Insurance for the Aged and Disabled Program (Medicare), is to be terminated. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has determined that the Center on Aging and Health is not in compliance with the Requirements for Participation. The Medicare/Medicaid Programs will not make payment for inpatient nursing services to residents who are admitted after August 29, 2012. For residents admitted prior to August 29, 2012, payment may continue for a maximum of 30 days for nursing services. Such payment is specifically limited to covered services through the close of business September 28, 2012. Sandra M. Pace Associate Regional Administrator Division of Survey & Certification
Jim Dog

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

Judged:

I am glad the Erwin Record had the scoop on this. No wait, they are covering the new library purchases for the week...
Wondering

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

Jim Dog wrote:
I am glad the Erwin Record had the scoop on this. No wait, they are covering the new library purchases for the week...
Just wanted to know if that means it is closing?...I have family there. Don't really understand what it means.
Taxpayer

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

It means if you have family there Medicare/Medicaid will not pay the bills after 30 days. You may want to move them. I would be asking questons to the management.
Senior citizen

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

They will probably have everything brought into compliance by that time. They have until the end of Sept. to do that.
Just Saying

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

Wondering wrote:
PUBLIC NOTICE FOR INVOLUNTARY TERMINATION OF MEDICARE /MEDICAID PROVIDER AGREEMENT Notice is hereby given that effective August 29, 2012, the agreement between Center on Aging and Health, 880 South Mohawk Drive, Erwin, Tennessee and the Secretary of Health and Human Services, as provider of nursing services in the Health Insurance for the Aged and Disabled Program (Medicare), is to be terminated. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has determined that the Center on Aging and Health is not in compliance with the Requirements for Participation. The Medicare/Medicaid Programs will not make payment for inpatient nursing services to residents who are admitted after August 29, 2012. For residents admitted prior to August 29, 2012, payment may continue for a maximum of 30 days for nursing services. Such payment is specifically limited to covered services through the close of business September 28, 2012. Sandra M. Pace Associate Regional Administrator Division of Survey & Certification
That is sad. Almost all seniors are on Medicare and Medicaid. Wonder if they can be reinstated once they come in compliance.
Wondering

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

Judged:

Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
That is sad. Almost all seniors are on Medicare and Medicaid. Wonder if they can be reinstated once they come in compliance.
My question would be is this...What was they doing that they was not in compliance????
FYI

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2012

The owners have been trying to sell for the past few years. Their standards have slipped big time. My advice is to moved your loved ones like we did.
wandering

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2012

We could always put the drive inn back which I miss. Or we could always put Love chapel school there instead of building another new school we can not afford to build. I guess we are going to have to take our loved ones to another town for care when we can no longer do it ourselves. This is a shame to this community. I thought the Center was a good place but then again have not been out there in a while. If these nursing homes paid employees better they would do a better job taking care of the patients. It is certain people in this town that sets the standards of pay for all factories and businesses and that is why we only make 7.50 or 8.00 an hour. Taking care of people is a big responsibility. It is hard work and hard on your body so I think all employees should be paid fair. The Center needs to fix this problem and take better care of their patients and their employees. And this goes to the other health care place as well. They are the one that needs to be shut down. Everyone knows who I am talking about.
Just Saying

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2012

tea-people

Erwin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2012

Judged:

Even if the people who are employed in a nursing facility were paid big bucks, they would still use the excuse that they aren't paid enough. The job requires dedication, & compassion, lacking in this area. There are some very dedicated people here. Few & far between. It is a shame. Most nursing facility staff could care less, about the well being of their patients. The patients that receive good care are the ones who are able to speak or have a lot of family interaction. The patients, who can not communicate are pretty much neglected. Some of the staff is more concerned with their next cigarette break, or which patient has food or candy in their room.
Citizen

Green Isle, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2012

Judged:

Wandering wrote"We could always put the drive inn back which I miss. Or we could always put Love chapel school there instead of building another new school we can not afford to build. I guess we are going to have to take our loved ones to another town for care when we can no longer do it ourselves. This is a shame to this community. I thought the Center was a good place but then again have not been out there in a while. If these nursing homes paid employees better they would do a better job taking care of the patients. It is certain people in this town that sets the standards of pay for all factories and businesses and that is why we only make 7.50 or 8.00 an hour. Taking care of people is a big responsibility. It is hard work and hard on your body so I think all employees should be paid fair. The Center needs to fix this problem and take better care of their patients and their employees. And this goes to the other health care place as well. They are the one that needs to be shut down. Everyone knows who I am talking about. "

We all know that you're talking about paul farnor. He shoud've been ran out of unicoi county years ago.
a taxpayer 2

Erwin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2012

tea-people wrote:
Even if the people who are employed in a nursing facility were paid big bucks, they would still use the excuse that they aren't paid enough. The job requires dedication, & compassion, lacking in this area. There are some very dedicated people here. Few & far between. It is a shame. Most nursing facility staff could care less, about the well being of their patients. The patients that receive good care are the ones who are able to speak or have a lot of family interaction. The patients, who can not communicate are pretty much neglected. Some of the staff is more concerned with their next cigarette break, or which patient has food or candy in their room.
Just ride up the back side of the Center of Aging and what was suppose to be a area for the residents recreational area looks like a car lot and always any hour of the day or night The employees are out there in the rocking chairs smoking thats all you see or Trash laid all out around the dumpster and this right where the residents are taken for outdoor time..........Very Sad!!! Kinda of the way children are treated in the schools....depends on who you are or if you got money all in how one is treated....Very Sad at how people treat others!!!
Kindred Soul

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Having spent time in a management role at a nursing home, you really have to be horrible to have your Medi-Caid/Medicare funding pulled. I WOULD NOT have any kin in such a place. In fact, I wouldn't put a dog in there. You wouldn't think a "christian" would treat old folks that way.
Wondering

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Kindred Soul wrote:
Having spent time in a management role at a nursing home, you really have to be horrible to have your Medi-Caid/Medicare funding pulled. I WOULD NOT have any kin in such a place. In fact, I wouldn't put a dog in there. You wouldn't think a "christian" would treat old folks that way.
I have heard this from several people but to look at it the place is so nice...just goes to show that you can never tell just by looking don't it....moving my family immediatly......there are places that may not be as nice but at least they are good to the patients...
Thinks it is Funny

Elizabethton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

Everyone talks about how bad Erwin Health Care is, but NEVER have they had their funding pulled and not been allowed to take new residents. The State was called on a complaint to CAH and they stayed for over 3 weeks. REALLY?!?!? What could have been going on that took 3 weeks to investigate? Oh yeah, it was a complaint of abuse!! And obviously it was proven to be a correct complaint.
Tweetildee

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2012

I really think it's the other place they really needed to look into!
wandering

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

tea-people wrote:
Have you ever had to work for a living. Especially for 7.50 an hour. Being a C.N.A. is hard work. You pull every muscle in your body. It feels like your back is going out, your legs hurt from being on them for 8 to 12 hours. The only time you are not on them are your "cigarette break" or your lunch break which you usually do not even get. Taking care of other people is hard work and I think they should be paid a good salary. I would like to see you do this kind of work. You are right about some not caring and they should not be in this business but it is not true about all the workers. I just think pay around here needs to be better in all fields. Especially healthcare.
wandering

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2012

Judged:

Citizen wrote:
Wandering wrote"We could always put the drive inn back which I miss. Or we could always put Love chapel school there instead of building another new school we can not afford to build. I guess we are going to have to take our loved ones to another town for care when we can no longer do it ourselves. This is a shame to this community. I thought the Center was a good place but then again have not been out there in a while. If these nursing homes paid employees better they would do a better job taking care of the patients. It is certain people in this town that sets the standards of pay for all factories and businesses and that is why we only make 7.50 or 8.00 an hour. Taking care of people is a big responsibility. It is hard work and hard on your body so I think all employees should be paid fair. The Center needs to fix this problem and take better care of their patients and their employees. And this goes to the other health care place as well. They are the one that needs to be shut down. Everyone knows who I am talking about. "
We all know that you're talking about paul farnor. He shoud've been ran out of unicoi county years ago.
True so very true. He and others have set the salary for the business around here and it is very sad. We can not afford to live and work here because of this. Alot of people have to go out of town to make a living and leave families behind for long periods of time just to make ends meet. All because of certain people who run things around here. Some things never change.
Jene

Anderson, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

I've read through these post, I worked at Center on Aging before moving away.
I know for a fact that there are caring people in that facility as they still employ some of my co-workers. Before you cast judgement on how people or "old folks" are treated you may want to ask family members of current residents.

1 bad apple can ruin a bunch.

Working under Alex Gaddy or Joy Powers as administrators, I can honestly say there was a level of caring and a high standard expected and delivered by all. If I were to ever move back to Tennessee, I would gladly work under their direction again.

As for Erwin Health Care.... They're just too shadey to get caught!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Jonesborough Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Jonesborough People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Jonesborough News, Events & Info